4.0 out of 5 stars I heart these brushes

Published on November 24, 2009 by Jonathan

2.0 out of 5 stars So...So
Published on September 11, 2010 by J. Sweeney

4.0 out of 5 stars I heart these brushes, November 24, 2009
This review is from: SHANY Studio Quality Natural Cosmetic Brush Set with Leather Pouch, 24 Count (Health and Beauty)
ORIGINAL REVIEW 11/24/2009

I just got this brush set today & they arrived sooner than stated, & I live in Oregon. I am a little more than moderately impressed by the quality. Being a makeup artist for a luxury cosmetic line that does not sell brushes like these or even brush sets, I find them to be adequate and of decent quality. I haven't observed any excessive shedding, & honestly, no more than some of the more expensive brushes that are sold in other lines in my department. These aren't MAC quality brushes, but I love them just as much as my MAC brushes.

UPDATE 11/26/2009:

Okay, I still "heart" these brushes. I reviewed these brushes the very first day I got them (11/24/2009) before using them & I just want to mention that these are STILL awesome brushes. As with any new brush, I deodorized them & then thouroughly washed them. I can see why someone would think that they had been used because of the excess dye in the natural hairs, that person obviously does not wash their new brushes before using them for the first time. After deep cleaning them & conditioning them, they stopped shedding and they smell fresh & clean. Please do a deep cleaning on these brushes before using them if you already do not clean your new brushes before first use. Deodorizing, deep cleaning & conditioning them will get all of the loose hairs & excess dye out of the brushes. The excess dye will make your coulours look dirty & muddled if you do not deep clean them. Also after deodorizing & deep cleaning the brushes, I conditioned them and they are all soft and silky just like my Shiseido, Lancome & MAC brushes, except for the synthetic ones which I did not bother conditioning with brush cleaner. I treated each & every brush with the same care as a much more expensive, pro brush & sincerely, I can't tell them apart. Buy these, take good care of them & you will be thoroughly impressed. If you do not know how to deodorize & clean new brushes check out youtube, there ar so many videos by professionals on how to take care of your brushes. Just be warned that deordorizing and cleaning all of these brushes at once takes a lot of time, but it's worth it & hopefully you will love them as much as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELOVELOVE!, September 15, 2009
Wow, I was so so so excited to recieve this. I tracked the shipping every single day until it came. The brushes are excellent. They have nice, long handles. The brissles are so soft. The leather brush roll is great. The picture doesn't clearly show what you will recieve so here you go:
1 large fan brush
3 powder brushes
1 face angled face brush (perfect for blush/bronzer)
1 concealer brush (SOOOO SOFT)
10 lid brushes all in different sizes
1 eye blending brush
1 angled eye brush
1 small fan brush
7 liner brushes (all different shapes)
2 smudge brushes
1 spoolie
1 brow/lash comb
1 leather bush roll
Obviously this kit isnot vegan, but I cannot even being to explain to you how amazing the quality is.
The brushes are, in my opinion, BETTER THAN M.A.C. and A FRACTION OF THE COST.
The packaging was even great. The boxwas stuffed with bags of air to protect everything, the brush roll was wrapped, and inside, every brush was in its place AND wrapped individually for extra protection. 12 of the brushes came with brush covers to help keep their shape as well. None of the brushes were damaged in any way.
THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING.
You should buy it right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good for the money I spent , certainly recommend!!!, August 22, 2009
I could have gotten one MAC brushes with this money, but I got the whole collection, brushes are so smooth and hair never fall off, I tried them with my mineral collection, they are the best, I already had a kabuki brush and I honetly will throw that away, the brushes are so great, Im so happy with my purchase, when I bought them I thought I would get a low quality chinese item, but when they arrived, it was amazing, the packaging was beautiful, leather pouch (real leather, you can smell the leather, not a vinyl) when you open it the first brush is the biggest brush which you barely can see it in pictures of the seller, he may want to change the picture because what I got is much more beautiful than what was listed online, light and smooth handle, easy to use grip makes it very comfortable, this is probably the best one so far I have got from makeup shop. would recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Give these smelly brushes a chance, November 18, 2010
I just received these brushes. I read several of the reviews before I purchased them. First of all, yes, they are VERY smelly. However, I think the smell is coming from the pouch they arrive in. I spent time going over each brush- no hair fell out and they are really soft. I plan to wash and condition them all tonight before using (as suggested by another review I read). So- let's face it, it's a great selection of brushes for a super great price. I'll try to write a follow-up review after I've used them for a while.

Now let's talk about the pouch- the pouch is definitely the culprit for the super stinky smell. It's been painted or varnished or something- that's the smell. The item description says it's leather- the jury's still out on that. It's soft, but I'm not convinced it's real leather. And, there's no velvet.

2.0 out of 5 stars So...So, September 11, 2010
J. Sweeney (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
So, I'm reading all of the reviews here again...as I did before I purchased the product...and I'm concerned. Some folks are saying they recieved a beautiful "leather" case. This case is not leather. It's cheap vinyl. The leather was one of the pros for me when I decided to buy this set. The item is not as pictured. All brushes are there but they are more of a red-orange one tone color. They will definitely need washed as the vinyl case and brushes themselves have a strong odor. When you open this please do not expect the scent of leather or the exact item pictured. Maybe the manufacturer needed to cut costs and modified these later? I purchased based on the reviews so I'm trying to warn others who do the same. For $25 bucks they are ok. Maybe a great starter set for your daughter or neice but definitely not for serious makeup artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO WORTH IT!, November 11, 2011
Honestly, before I bought these brushes, I read all the reviews to it. Truthfully, they didn't sound so worth it because some reviews say they weren't so soft & they smelled, etc. Well, I decided to get them anyways and you know what?!? These brushes are WONDERFUL! I'm glad I bought these and I LOVE it so much!!! About the smell, it's only the new leather smell! Don't worry about it! These brushes are for the face, not the nose. Plus, the brushes are super soft & smooth like how makeup brushes are to be & they pick up makeup pigments really good. I've also cleaned them too & the hair didn't fall out. And lastly I must say, the delivery was super super fast & free too! I got mines in 2 DAYS! This set of brushes are not worth 5 stars because to me they are worth 10+ stars!!! LOVE THEM SO MUCH & IT'S SO WORTH IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Would tell friend about this, August 26, 2009
Great item offered on Amazon, very happy to have it, hair doesnt fall off and I can select my brushes to put in my purse based on my needs. would recommend, everyone should have, instead of paying $50 for one brush in sephora, I can have them all with $35, Im actually very happy, will tell all my friends about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, little confusing, December 24, 2011
I am by no means a make up expert, there are so many brushes and I do not know what they are all used for, would've been great if they were separately labeled or at least a little insert into the bag, letting you know what's what. But overall, nice quality and if you cannot afford MAC brushes this is the way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, November 27, 2010
I took into consideration previous reviews and decided to go on and purchase this product. I feel like after reading some of the reviews, the makers inproved their product. A few reviewers complained about the smell and if you've ever owned a leather jacket, then you have an idea of it. For me it was no deal breaker. I cleaned and conditioned my brushes immediately and I have no major complaints. I have experienced no shedding as of yet, there was no serious dye leakage (and I cleaned every single brush), the bristles are silky smooth, not to mention the fact that they now smell like fragrant shampoo. I would recommend this product to everyone who is enthusiasic about make up and perhaps cannot afford to buy each one of the major brushes separately. Overall, I am very satisfied with this purchase.

Some things to take into consideration: I think someone noted before that several brushes barely differ in size, so it's like having two or even three of the same kind. But I guess you can use one for darker shadows and the other for lighter ones if you so choose. In addition, there is no real liquid foundation brush. HOWEVER, there are three large brushes, and the smallest of the three can be used for this purpose, but bare in mind that it is larger than the typical foundation brush.

*If you do not know where to look to clean/condition your brushes, I looked on youtube, followed EnKoreMakeUp's directions and made my own cleaner that worked perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, August 8, 2009
To start off I recieved these brushes earlier than stated. So that was a great plus! However thats most likely because they ship from Indiana and I live in Chicago but the shipping was great no problems! The arrived in great condition each brush had been in plasic for protection and over the brushes and case was in great condition. I havent used them yet but they are really soft and seem like great quality. The only down side I would say is the pic shows a few different brushes than you recieve. There was no kabuki brush and liquid foundation brushes. There were all 24 but just a few different ones than the pics. I recieved 2 fan brushes one small and one huge. I just wish I had recieved a kabuki brush and foundation brush like it was stated. But other than that the shipping was great the brushes arrived in great condition as well as the case and I am really excited to start using them! THANKS!!