Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on May 12, 2013
Several years ago my husband was going down our driveway to grab the newspaper when he hit a patch of black ice. He cracked his skull, & laid, unconscious for about 20 minutes, almost going into hypothermia. It was 5AM & there was no one around to help.
He's fine, thank you, :) but since that day we have NEVER been without at least 2 pair of YakTrax each.
As soon as the temps begin to hit freezing, we each keep a pair of shoes, with YakTrax attached, by the back door, & neither of us goes out without them. There's also a spare pair in our emergency kit in the car.
YakTrax fit over your shoes or boots & provide superior traction even on ice. They're a little hard to get on (we're old & arthritic, so EVERYTHING is hard!), but once in place, they stay put. We've had other brands over the years, but they ended up coming off & getting buried in some snow banks - somewhere. While you can switch the YakTrax to different pairs of boots/shoes/sneakers, I think it's better to have a few pair available just to make sure you don't leave home without them.
As far as durability goes, hubby's oldest pair is about 5 winters old & still going strong. He wears a size 11 extra wide shoe & the large fits just fine. Just be very careful if you hafta wear them indoors - in a store or the like. Under those conditions, they're slippery as heck.
If you invest in one thing next winter, invest in these, 'specially if you're older & your balance ain't as good as it once was. Believe me, these are well worth the investment - even for the young'uns. ;)
55 comments351 of 363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2010
As for the functionally of this product, I couldn't say enough good things. I ran between 45-65 miles per week all outdoors in heavy snow and icy conditions. Ice, snow and the combined, these treads give excellent control while running on street or trails. Literally, no slip. That said, the rubber that holds the coils didn't not hold up for me... busting after about 5 weeks of use. I'm 6' 0" and weigh 165lbs. If you're going to use in moderation, I'd say, go nuts and buy the heck out these dudes....
0Comment140 of 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2014
I bought these for my husband. He went out to walk our dogs today in the ice and wore them for the first time and the broke within 20 minutes of walking!!! I will be requesting a refund.
review image
0Comment88 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
I used these twice when shoveling snow off my driveway, for a total of less than one hour. When I went to put them on my boots a third time, the rubber band inside one of the springs on the bottom broke, less than one month after I received the product from Amazon. I do not recommend this product.

UPDATE on 1/15/2014:

This morning, I received the following response from Implus Corporation (Yaktrax is an Implus Corporation brand) to an email that I sent them asking whether or not Yaktrax are designed for use while shoveling driveways:

"Yaktrax are primarily designed to increase stability and decrease falls while walking and running on compact snow and ice. They are meant to be used on these surfaces, not roads that are cleared and therefore safer without the use of a traction device. We do not recommend them for use shoveling or otherwise clearing pavement, as this will result in rapid wear.

Regards,

Madison Williams
Customer Service Representative
Implus Corporation"
99 comments153 of 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2013
Where I live, we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of solid traction, or so it seems. I am an avid dog walker and runner. I find the most dangerous time to walk is when there is fresh snow on the ground as it covers all the icy patches and one wrong step turns that snow into a slippery surface on top of another slippery surface. Falling is never fun.

I have used Yaktrax for quite a few years now and I like them, but have always found that constantly switching them between footwear (i.e. runners to hiking boots) cause them to lose their elasticity which in turn means they will inevitably break or snap.

Not so with the Yaktrax Pro. The tension strap allows for easy removal and installation.

Thank you Yaktrax, for keeping me steady in winter!
11 comment116 of 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2014
The product works very well out of the box, however it does not work for long before the straps start breaking. I really like the design of the tracks, the spiral springs work well for traction and unlike other products with spikes, these do not dig into floors (installing in house and walking out front door). The problem with this design is that the rubber band frame the springs are attached to is not strong enough, once it fails the entire tread is worthless. After using the product on four, 45 minutes walks both tracks failed with broken frame bands (same band on each track). Once the bands are compromised the track no longer stays in place and is now trash. My other program is warrantee support, the tracks must be mailed back to manufacture or where you purchased (I purchased through amazon from a reseller). $6 to send the tracks back in the mail for a $15 is not worth it for me. Clearly the company understands most people will not make a warrantee claim with these economics. Therefore, mine went into the trash can and I'll never buy this product again. Would recommend others considering these look at another product that better addresses the durability challenge.
11 comment62 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2015
First, let me say I have no financial interest in these. I just went for my first run in the Yaktrax. It was slushy and there was about 1 inch of snow on the sidewalks with some icy patches. The Yaktrax are rubber and metal contraptions you put over the soles of the shoe and are fastened with velcro. They function the way chains would on tires. I found that my grip was immensely improved. There was no slippage either going up snowy hills or down. I found that one of the hardest things about running in the snow had been the feeling of running in sand where not all your momentum propelled you forwards. Not a problem with these bad boys. I intentionally ran downhill and jumped to a stop to see if I would skid on the snow and it was like jumping into velcro. I was so surprised that I almost lost my balance. I was expecting to skid forward at least a bit. I have not yet tried them on areas I would consider to be hard ice yet. I had worried that it would be uncomfortable running on Yaktrax because it would feel like I was running on a thick wire the whole time but this was not the case at all. Friends, it's going to be a long cold snowy slushy winter followed by an equally cold snowy slushy spring. I would encourage you to consider these.
review image review image
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2011
Yaktrax Pro were the second pair of ice traction products I ordered, the first ones from a different manufacturer were not good. The Yaktrax size small fit over my women's size 8.5 boot perfectly and did not slide off at all. I don't think they would even if you didn't have the added strap across the top, and I even think they will fit perfectly over my running shoes, but we still have too much snow to try them out. I purposely walked over icy spots to test them out and they grip wonderfully, not even a slight slip. I'm a daily speedwalker and didn't want icy days to keep me in on the treadmill. I highly recommend this product overall for fit and effectiveness. Thanks, Yaktrax
on January 31, 2014
I had to pay for return shipping - not happy.

Sizing was not intuitive. After doing research I now see this...
XS 1 - 4.5 2.5 - 6 S 5 - 8.5 6.5-10 M 9 - 11 10.5 - 12.5 L 11.5 - 13.5 13 - 15 XL* 14+ 15.5+
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
My cost would be $4+ per mile! (if Amazon was not great about returns). I only used these twice to go on walks in the snow in the woods. I walked a total of 5 miles (2.5 miles times two) and then the rubber on one side of the left cleat separated making the cleat unusable. I was skeptical when I saw the design, but the average review on Amazon was pretty good, so I gave them a try. However, my skepticism was valid, the rubber that runs through the coils is not strong enough.

I really like the design, they were easy to use, they're not as aggressive as the spiked cleats, but provided enough traction in the snow to make walking much safer. Now, if they can find a stronger rubber, they would be great.