Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish 2-3-4 Thread Serger With Machine Intro DVD
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style Name: 14CG754|Change

on September 1, 2011
I've never used a serger before and I've only been sewing for a few years, but my mom gave me money to get a serger as a pre-baby gift. I've been coveting a serger, any serger, for several months now so I was so excited to try it out. I have to say, I did lots of research and the reviews made me very hesitant to buy this serger, but I'm all about buying from brick and mortar stores for major purchases such as this one. It was on sale and I figured it wouldn't be too tough to return if I decided I didn't like it. So, this is the one I got since it was the only one I could afford that was available in my teeny, tiny town.

Thankfully, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. It's heavy enough that it feels very sturdy, but light enough to be very portable. (that's great for me since I don't have a permanent sewing station in my home) When I got it home, I decided to try to rethread it right away, since that seems to be a major complaint about most sergers, and it took me about 10 minutes following the instructions on the machine and in the manual. Since then, I've had no trouble rethreading following just the machines color coded instructions when changing from 3 to 4 threads and back. And that doesn't seem to take any longer than my regular sewing machine.

Some reviewers have complained about the noise of this machine, but I'm not sure what you are expecting. It's much quieter than my cheap White sewing machine and my one-year-old has no trouble sleeping in the next room while I'm working with it.

The stitches are very smooth and once I adjusted to the speed of the machine (it goes much faster than sewing) I've been very pleased with the finished products. Within the first hour or so of trying it out, I had mastered a 3-thread rolled hem and standard 4-thread overlock stitch, the two stitches I most wanted the machine for.

Anyway, don't let the negative reviews scare you out of getting this machine. It's very simple to learn how to use and makes beautiful stitches. I honestly can't find anything to complain about.
22 comments|496 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2007
Purchased this item from a retail JoAnns' It was 249.99 on sale, came threaded.
I had to play around with the machine more than I used it, read the reviews here and on JoAnns' site and decided there was a better Serger out there.
Bought a Brother from Amazon, JoAnn only sold Singer.

Now, in defense of the Singer serger machine, it has a much heavier material cutter, less oiling and a heavier steel shaft, collar combination, than the Brother.
Also, when the Singer was serging it did an extremely good job of overlocking, better than the Brother, in my opinion.

After I became used to the Singer form of threading it wasn't as bad as most of the reviews made it sound.
55 comments|335 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2010
For a home serger this one is pretty sturdy. The stitches are neat and clean and fabric is cut off easily. For those complaining about how tough this is to thread.. try threading an industrial serger. This is much easier. You don't even NEED the tweezers (though they can be helpful). Don't adjust anything unless you refer to the manual and know exactly what it does and you won't have any issues. Like my other singer, these machines don't come with bells and whistles to make the experience easier for you - but they are built better and last longer than machines within a similar price range (like Brother). You can hear it while it's running. It may be loud, but you know it's sturdy.
11 comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
I will update this review should I have any trouble with this Singer Serger. I use Amazon all the time, so if you don't see an update than all is still well :)

I was really nervous about buying this serger. The reviews made it sound like you could consider yourself lucky if you got it to work correctly.
The machine came threaded, but me being me decided to unthread and re-thread it so that I could learn how to do it.
Umm, an hour later I was still not sure what I was doing wrong. I had managed to thread and rethread it at least 4-5 times (its a little challenging but not hellacious. Just take your time and relax). I called my husband up and within 20 minutes he was serging away.

Apparently the tension was all wrong and that was the problem I was having.

I wanted to buy only the Janome, but this Singer was on sale for $199 and Janome (I am a faithful Janome sewing machine fan) was $300. I couldn't swing it, but I really wanted to learn how to use a serger. So, I went ahead and bought this machine thinking that if I was disappointed I could return it and if it was decent enough than I could keep it until I could afford a Janome serger.

I've really enjoyed using this machine. It cuts well, the stitch (only used the 4 thread so far) is BEAUTIFUL, and to be honest I see no reason I should spend the $100 more on the Janome in the near future. It is sturdy and stout and at this point I think I got a great deal.

I will update this review if any problems develop, but for now after about 7 hours of use - I am 5 star pleased.
0Comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2011
I know there aren't raving reviews on this machine... but my opinion is sit down with it and try it! I sat down with it and became familiar with the threading and the manual. Then I went into JoAnn's and took their Serger 101 class. Let me tell you, the threading is easy! It's fun and really I don't know what all the fuss is about! This is my first Serger and have been intimidated for years.. but that's in the past! If you sit down with it, and then take your questions to your local shop you will see for yourself it's really not difficult. We sat down for an hour and I learned how to blind him, flatlock and overlock (3 and 4 thread.) Then towards the end, I had the instructor show me the high dollar Viking machine.. and she couldn't get it to work... it seemed quirky and difficult. I paid 179.00 for this machine and I think it was worth it! I know the Brother got much better reviews, but since I bought the Singer locally, I can take it in with my questions. Once again, I want to stress the threading is not difficult. Threads number 1 and 2 may seem intimidating at first, but once you do it a few times.. it's even fun! So for anyone that thinks this machine is difficult.. I'm scratching my head. This is the easy part, to me reading a pattern is the hard stuff!
11 comment|178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2013
I just got this last week, but I've been playing around with it. The price has gone down since I bought it, which kind of bums me out, but it wasn't a huge amount.

I thought threading it was fairly easy. I've never really used a serger before, so it's all a learning experience to me. I followed the diagrams on the case, and the descriptions and diagrams in the manual. The only thing that confused me at first was the thread slot way in the back of the bottom looper, but once I figured out there really was a slot back there, it was easy to just use the tweezers to push the thread into the slot. The machine came threaded, but it didn't work properly right out of the box. Something must have jiggled out of place during shipment, so I had to tackle threading sooner than I had wanted to. I haven't watched the DVD yet, so I can't comment on that.

One thing that I've seen recommended in online tutorials is to thread the serger with different colored threads in order to figure out how to adjust the tension. After playing with the white thread that came with it for half a day and not having much success getting neat stitches, I decided to heed that advice. It made all the difference. I got pink, green, blue, and yellow 'toldi-lock' from Joann's, and color coded them to match the machine. After that, using some online resources and a serger book I had also purchased, the tension was much less of a mystery to me and the stitches looked picture perfect. If you are not experienced with sergers, I really recommend trying this color coding technique out. It really made it easy to see which thread tension needed adjusting. Also, if it is not threaded exactly right, messing with the tension will not help (this is something I had read, but apparently had to experience to appreciate, LOL).

I've played with the stitch length adjustment and it seems straightforward. I haven't really played with the differential feed, although I believe mine was set at +0.7 when it came, so you may want to check that (it's also possible that one of my kids made that adjustment when I wasn't looking).

The cutters seem to work great, and leave a nice clean edge. They cut through terry cloth just fine, but that's the thickest thing I've tried to cut.

I don't have anything to compare to, and I'm sure it doesn't measure up to the nice top quality sergers you can get, but as a beginner I think this will be quite decent for my needs.
on September 25, 2015
Let me first start by saying thank you to amazon for having such great customer service. I ran into issues wit my order and they easily fixed it, even though it was completely my fault.

As for the serger, I can't be more pleased. My last serger was an ancient fossil and this was definitely in my budget range.

Sergers have a way of being extremely difficult to thread, to my surprise this one came already threaded. So I re-threaded it by just working my way backwards which was extremely easy.

This comes with great instructions and even a DVD to help demonstrate the different mechanics.

I was honestly threaded and running in less then 15 minutes. I'm really impressed with this machine.
review image review image
on July 8, 2009
This is the only Serger I've owned/used. I really don't find it that difficult to thread, especially with the long tweezers that came with it. I watched the Singer DVD which showed how the thread needed to be on the lower Looper and that helped. I also agree that the tension is a challenge but I have success if I adjust beforehand on scraps of the project material. In it's defense, I serge at top speed, never had a needle break (you can order them off the Singer site - all kinds and styles), never had the thread break - used many brands, and think it does a nice job of trimming and sewing. I guess for my needs, which are seams and finishing raw edges, it is just fine for the job. As another reviewer suggested I would list this as on the "heavy duty" side for Sergers.
on March 23, 2006
I recently upgraded my serger, to this model. I only use this machine for basic serging, I also own a 14T967DC for more complex work.

This machine is a pain to thread. The older model had a little arm that would help loop the thread when threading the lower looper. This one does not, and Singer has insured that the little loop you need to thread, is very difficult to reach.

I only upgraded because I saw this one at my dealer, and liked the idea of a free arm. I didn't think to look inside, and see if Singer had decided to make threading difficult.

Also not included with this machine, is a scrap catcher. And the spool holders are extremly flimsy. It's also very loud, and that fancy "euro" silver design thing on it gets extremly hot.

I gave the second star because it does serge a nice seam.

Buyer Beware!!
11 comment|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2015
so so....I have a BROTHER 1034D and wanted to see if there was anything else out there better.....it's not as good....does the job but specifically I need the ROLLED HEM feature and this one is not as good as my brother....as for the regular stitches, it does well.