Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 28, 2012
I bought mine elsewhere and have had it long enough to say I wish I had bought it here at Amazon. The price here is very good, and if you buy it with Prime, no shipping charge. A nice little serger, not too large, not too heavy, but heavy enough not to rock off the table at a fast speed. This is a manual machine, not automatic.

When I got mine it came with three additional presser feet, elastic, gathering, blind hem. However, I took a class at my local college and found out I can do all with the main foot. Check the current listing to see if this is still part of the package. The presser foot has an extra high lift so you can get thicker fabrics under it.

The threading is color coded and easy to follow as the whole front opens up for easy access, just follow the correct order of threading! (Correct order is in a paragraph below) You can get by with two cones of thread for the loopers and two spools for the needles if cost is an issue.

10/3/2013 UPDATE -- there is a short YouTube video of this model with the Viking name on it -- same machine titled: Husqvarna Viking HClass 200S Serger - that shows threading and removing the stitch finger for rolled hem. The Lady doing the demo is quick so you need your manual if you are not sure where the stitch finger is or what it is.

The accessory tools are attached on the inside of the front cover which makes it very handy to keep them at the machine and in front of you.

Raise the thread pole (antenna) up as high as it will go for the correct tension of the threads.

(5/23/2013 New to serging, this workbook may help you. See WORKBOOK info at bottom of review.)

The Singer 14J250 Stylist II is a 2, 3, 4 thread serger, which means it can use two threads up to 4 threads for most basic serger needs. It will Not do the coverhem stitch which is the stitch you see on T-shirt hems that has the double or triple row of stitching. This machine does have differential feed which helps when the fabric tries to curl and you want to ease it flat, or when you want it to have a wavy edge.

It has a thread-chain cutter built in behind the stitching plate so no scissors needed to cut the thread chain to release the fabric from the machine (Love that Feature!!), an adjustable Fabric Guide -- not seen on most other sergers. BTW, the main tools store in the front. Its open threading makes it one of the easiest threading sergers on the market. The cutting knife can be turned off if you don't need to use the cutting feature. The whole front opens up so you can easily get at the loopers for threading, just be sure to thread it in the correct order so the threads lay in there to function properly -- The Singer manual states first Upper Looper, second lower Looper, then your needles, right then left. Follow the manual's instructions for 3 thread and 2 thread.

9/13/2013 Addendum to threading in manual: I called Singer today and found out that the threading order in the book was reversed. The correct threading is as I wrote above, first the Upper Looper, second the Lower looper, third, right needle and then left needle. This is the correct order for all threading except where you are leaving out one of the needles for a three thread or for a two thread.

You'd usually use 2 thread to make the tiny rolled hem on hankerchiefs and dinner napkins or the bottom edge of a tuck-in blouse. Three thread is the most normally used stitch for overcasting and finishing seams or fabric edges. I also use it when I have ravelling fabric and have to wash it, I first serge the edges and then toss it in the wash on delicate. The 4 thread you'd use on stress places like arm hole or the back seam on pants, because it is the three thread with the safety straight stitch along side.

This machine does not have automatic tension adjustment, you get to adjust it in small increments when needed. I'd highly recommend First writing down the tension settings as they are when you get the machine Before you change anything. That way you have a baseline in case stitching is way off and you need to start over to fix the tension.

There is no need to pull the fabric from the back. That causes needle(s) to bend and then break. Just let it feed, guiding only. Keep your fingers to the side. This machine feeds well from the front, just get it to the front edge of the foot and it will take it in, or just lift the foot a bit to put fabric under if you feel the need. If you don't use the adjustable edge guide and find that your serged stitch is wavering, anchor your right hand steady on the front of the machine guiding the fabric through your fingers, or rest your hand on the table edge.

If you need assistance serging with this machine, do an internet search for White Model Sergers group at yahoo as this model is like the White 2900 or the Viking 200S. There is a way to do a mock coverhem stitch using the serger and your sewing machine with a double needle. Ask that group how to do it. While HSN still has the Stylist II serger in stock there is a video under the picture you can watch.

I'd recommend getting a basic serger book with easy projects to help you get started. Singer had a good one and I know there are others. Make a cover for it and your sewing machine. Have fun.

4/26/2013 -- For anyone just starting out, use a good quality serger thread. Best not to use the cheap stuff as it generally has a tendency to cause more lint to clean out more often -- short fuzzy thread fibers. Serger thread is thinner than regular sewing thread due to the machine runing at high speed. The loopers use the most thread. One can get by with two cones of serger thread for the loopers and two spools of matching color thread for the needles. One well known sewing TV personality says basic choices are neutral colors, like grey or charcoal for dark fabric and beige tone for lighter colored fabric. If you wish to get to know which thread does what part of the stitch chain, use colored thread similar to what is marked on the machine. Run some stitching and see which looper thread is on top and which is at the back, and right and left needle threads so you can adjust if one is off kilter. Save your sample for future comparison with the settings marked on the fabric.

I tape a small bag to the edge of the table to catch the cut off waste. If preferred, thread catchers can be bought or made from patterns; some patterns are free on line.

5/23/2013 -- WORKBOOK -- For those who like additional information there is a free downloadable workbook for this model of serger by the original White company, which is now a part of VSP International company (Viking Singer Pfaff). Go to Singerco.com and under support / manuals you can put in the following model number -- Put in 2000 and scroll down to the bottom manual titled "WSL2000 ATS (Part 1)" and "WSL2000 ATS (Part 2)." That is the free downloadable workbook that will work with this serger. I did a quick check and the differences would be the needles -- Singer says use Singer needles -- and the reference to a waste tray which is not part of the Singer 14J250 Stylist II. If this workbook helps you, leave a comment about it here. Thanks.
2222 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
Just received my new serger and set it up this morning. Upon opening the box I discovered the serger came threaded and to my delight I discovered that this serger not only uses the big spools but you can use the small spools of thread as well. (I almost purchased the Brother serger for this reason. Glad I didn't) They don't tell you about the different size thread spools you can use in any of the reviews or product details. As a matter of fact, they don't give you much information in the details at all. This is a wonderful serger. Not only does it come with all the necessary tools, but it also comes with 3 additional feet. An elastic tape foot, a blind hem foot and gathering/shirring foot. Each foot comes in it's own little box which also contains directions on how to use each one. The manual that comes with this serger is pretty straight forward and easy to read. As I said the serger came threaded but I guess during shipping the threads were loose so they got a little tangled up. While trying it out I broke a thread. After following the directions and double checking all the treading I got the machine up and running. It was a little frustrating because I had no idea what I was doing, but after trial and error I got it working. Keep in mind, I am a beginner sewer and know barely anything about sewing machines or sergers. This machine is very user friendly for beginners and I highly recommend it.
55 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2013
We have had this serger for a few months now and have had no issues with it. Like any serger, it's a bit intimidating to thread at first, but each path is clearly marked and color coded.

One thing I should have figured out sooner is that the marked cutter guide measurements correspond to how much fabric is -cut- and doesn't refer to the seam allowance. So, if the serger seam is a quarter inch wide and you have a 3/8" seam allowance, you want to set the cutter guide to 1/8". I guess it turned out to be okay, though, because I like my clothes tight.

We use it mainly on knits in super stretch mode with three threads, and it is just awesome for that. Super stretch is the right name for it. But the machine is great for wovens, too, and is pretty easy to convert back to the normal mode with both looper threads going. It just feels so smooth and leaves a beautiful seam that you can't get except with an overlock machine. It's probably three or four times faster than using the stretch stitch on our regular machine (the one that goes two steps forward then one step back, etc.). And that's not even considering that I had to sew the stretch stitch and then a separate stitch on the seam allowances to prevent fraying. I fly through projects now. If you're going to work with knits just do yourself a favor and start with a serger.

Recently we bought a Janome coverstitch machine to finish off our machine collection and the clothes I'm making now look so much better than before these two machines. The coverstitch machine makes beautiful, professional-looking top stitching on hems and collars. I've got my own little (voluntary) sweatshop now.

Make sure you figure in the cost of an overlock thread collection when budgeting for buying one. Especially the loopers burn through the thread like there's no tomorrow!

This is exactly what we were looking for. It comes with quite a few goodies: some potentially useful feet (I have only used the regular foot and the elastic foot, though), a replacement cutter for if you accidentally cut through a pin or something, and some really nice tweezers which have proven useful for all three machines. The extra feet aren't in very obvious packaging, though, so make sure to look for those in the box.
on October 28, 2013
I surprised my wife by getting her a serger, even though she had told me she didn't really need or want one. Truth be told, it was only that she was a little intimidated by sergers in general, concerned that they were too complicated for her to learn. So anyway I ignored her and after reading all the positive reviews, bought a Brother 1034d here on Amazon. After she got over her surprise, she really liked the Brother machine, and was able to thread and use it pretty easily. But within an hour or two I found out that the Brother machine didn't have a couple of features that she would have liked, one of them being a thread/chain cutter, so I found the Singer 14j250 on Amazon and ordered it for her with the idea that she could compare the two machines and keep the one she liked the best. As I said before, she liked the Brother machine, but when she first saw the Singer and used it, she was immediately sold on it over the Brother. I have to say I agree with her. While the Brother machine is well reviewed and seems to be a great value, the Singer is quite a bit heavier and seems to sew more smoothly. I don't sew, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but the Singer looks and sounds like a much more solidly built machine for not that much more money, and I think the way the entire front of the machine opens up to allow for threading and cleaning is a great feature also. The Singer also has metal parts in places where the Brother uses plastic which speaks well for its durability over time. The one thing the Brother has that the Singer does not is a free arm feature, so that's a consideration. Both machines are easy to use, as my non-mechanical wife has proven - if she can figure out how to use these machines, anyone can. However, for my money, the Singer is a better machine - shoot, it even looks better! Now that my wife has a serger, she informs me that she will be using it all the time! So much for "not wanting" one, eh? :-)

If you want a reasonably priced, well engineered and easy to use serger, I can enthusiastically recommend the Singer 14j250. My wife loves hers.

Update: It turns out that I was wrong in my assessment of this machine. The first one had a defect and quit working almost immediately, and the replacement machine broke after only 3 weeks of light use. I'm going to return this machine, for the second time! and buy the Brother. The Singer looks great, but in our case has proved to be fatally unreliable. Thank goodness for Amazon's unbelievably good return policy.
on October 31, 2012
What breaks the needle is when the thread gets traped by the needle and the looper and it is in front of the looper, blocking and traping the thread will break every time over and over....easy fix, start over and rethread everything again and make sure your loopers are in the back (behind george) when you get to the plate. make sure the needle thread or two needles threads are on top to the side not under the plate..., to bad the manuals for troulble shooting don't mention this happy trick...JoAnn
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2013
Well my new toy just arrived!! This machine is well above awesome this thing is ultra epic & it's a little monster!! I just tested it with light weight 40 denier tricot nylon, the material just glided through the machine as if it were on air. The machine feels extremely rigid,sturdy and stable & It stays in one place when high speed stitching. As far as threading goes it was very easy & this is my FIRST serger if i can thread it, believe me ANY one can thread it. Now i have a good singer collection. This new serger and a quantum stylist 9960...AWESOME!! Can't wait for my girl to get home so she can use it for her stuff..she loves sewing and will find this little monster epic.
on March 6, 2013
This is my second serger and my first cost nearly $1000.00 about 16 years ago. This machine is a dream to drive!!

It is quiet compared to the beast that I owned previously.

Threading it is AMAZING!! The completely open feature, diagrams and basic set up made it possible to do without even using the tweezers. Mine came threaded wrong or things slipped off in shipping so I was forced to rethread before taking my test drive. I could have done cartwheels!! far exceed my expectations.

The lighting is great.

The stitches with 4 thread are even. I haven't played with other stitches and settings yet.

I love the built-in thread cutter.

I will upgrade my review as I go but my over all impression is that the price is nominal compared to some of the other machines out there. My daughter who is not really mechanically inclined, actually has some learning issues secondary to brain damage, has been considering a serger. I have been reluctant about it as they can be frustrating and intimidating. I texted her and told her this is the machine she needs. I am sure she can master it, thread it and love it too.

I share my sewing room with my baby ducklings until it is warm enough to move out to the pond and they just got ultra cuddly serged blankets from some scraps I had lying around. (farm seamstress!!)

I admit I was nervous about this machine due to maker, price and well sergers can be tough. I am so glad I dove in and bought it!!
on August 26, 2013
It took me a long time to finally decide on buying this serger. I've been reading reviews and price comparing other brands and models for over a year. I prefer Singer sewing machines but was frightened by some of the reviews that I've read. Now that I have the machine I could not be happier. It is heavier than I imagined but has a good solid feel and makes beautiful stitches which is what my other Singer machines do. This one was used so I saved some money but it had all of the attachments and works fine so I'm happy with my choice.
on May 28, 2013
I ordered this serger with some hesitation after reading so many Singer serger reviews about the threading nightmares. It wasn't nearly as horrible as I would have believed - in fact, not hard at all if you follow the instructions. Machine worked right out of the box (after verifying all threading was intact post shipping). It glides through fabrics. Yes, it is louder than a sewing machine. That is because it isn't a sewing machine - but this model isn't ear splitting like a factory floor. All in all, a good purchase and so far (about one month of hobby use) a reliable, easy to use machine.
on November 3, 2013
I run a university costume shop and have found this to be a great machine. Having easy access to the bottom loops is amazing and makes it a snap for anyone to thread. Converting from regular stitching to roll heming is also very easy. I have worked with many sergers in my sewing career and this machine is well worth the money!