Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SINGER 6160 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with Auto Needle Threader
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style Name: 6160 with 60 Stitches|Change

on January 18, 2012
I have used Singer machines for 48 years. I wanted to use this machine for small sewing projects and mending. My first reaction using this machine was: Yikes! I'm sewing in the dark. The LED light illuminates the sewing area poorly. With the shape of the machine, it is very difficult to shine any other light source where one needs it without getting in the way of sewing the fabric. The foot control is finicky. It has to be pressed in exactly the right spot or there will be no responce. The needle threader seems superfluous to me and it is constantly in my way. But then... it is difficult to thread the needle in the dark by hand. While I have had short bursts of success, the real problem is the constant issues with bunched thread at the beginning of sewing and snapped needle and bobbin threads. This all points to improper threading of the bobbin and/or the needle threads. Thus I have read the manual over and over again to verify and re-verify that I have everything loaded properly. If I had never used a sewing machine I would assume that all of these issues were operator error. But since I have used Singers since I was in the 7th grade, I can only assume that this machine and I are not meant to be a partnership. I am so very disappointed.
33 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
I do not intend to add a full review but, having had this machine for some time, would offer two pieces of advice that might help some of the negative complaints.

When I first got mine it sounded horrible, when turning the wheel by hand there were sticking points where it would not turn smoothly and when we threaded it up it kept jamming and causing the same complaints that many people on here report. I do not offer these points as firm solutions but based on my experience these actions worked.

(1) When you first get the machine, let it run without any thread or fabric, start it slowly. Then build it up and let it run for a few minutes. After doing this, we found that the action of the machine was much much smoother. Why? Dont know! Maybe distribution of lube in the mechanics? Don't know but it worked.

(2) We solved the jamming issue by looking very carefully at how/where the machine is threaded. On the front of the machine is printed a number of points where the thread runs. Point 3 (as marked on the machine's front) involves dropping the thread down the front of the machine, then hooking it into a cavity and running it back up to the top. We found that when we did this step we were inadvertently hooking the thread not through the guide but behind it which meant the thread did not run in the guide but ran somewhere in the body of the machine. It would still run OK at first but within a few minutes when sewing, it would jam causing all sorts of frustrations. After looking at all points of the threads travel we saw this was wrong only by loooking very very closely. So we rethreaded, made sure it went into the guide at point 3 and from then on it ran fine. So, be very careful where you thread at this point.

After doing these things, we have had no jams at all and are now enjoying using what appears to be a low cost but solid sewing machine that does what we wanted it to do.

Hope this is useful.
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2012
This sewing machine is honestly excellent. The one I got wasn't even from Amazon but I want to share my experience and possibly help somebody who is looking for the 'right' sewing machine. I tried out Every stitch and it came out perfectly. I would work on my projects for several hours and never had it overheat, slow down or make some weird noises. It's not too loud but don't expect no sound at all. I used All purpose thread and it worked really nice. Tension was easy to adjust like everything else. There are many people who are simply 'Singer' users and naturally know how to work on these machines while other people prefer other brands and get used to other operating system , quality or simply design... so I am a definite Singer user and will be as long as they keep up the good work :)
So after this one got stolen from me I went and bought exactly the same one because I know that my projects will come out as I planned.
Other than that, design is elegant, shape is nice , not too big not too heavy.
on November 25, 2012
This Singer model 6160 deserves no star. I purchased this Singer model @ the world's largest retail store chain when it first came out. No reviews were out at the time. So I thought go Singer you can't go wrong; Right? I have been sewing for over 40 yr. I'm a seamstress, and have designed my own patterns. So I am no dummy using a sewing machine. This is by far the worst machine model 6160 from Singer. Were do I begin. As with other reviews:
#1)Bobbin thread bunches up for no apparent reason and has come out of the
casing on several occasions.
#2)Machine does not handle thick fabrics at all.
#3)There are multiple problems with tension settings; either too tight, or too
loose no continuity in setting tension.
#4)Thread seams to continuously come out of thread take up lever causing
continuous thread breakage while sewing and have to stop, and re-thread the
machine sometimes several times during just doing one seam!
5#)Also automatic threader has never worked. I have never had such a frustrating
sewing machine. I will be getting another sewing machine soon. Sewing to me is
suppose to be pleasurable and relaxing, not with this model.
My blood pressure goes up when I'm sewing on this junk. I will never ever get another machine that has a bottom bobbin casing I don't even want to sell this p.o.s. to anyone. Best place unfortunately is the dumpster. Singer shame on you! I have been getting Singer's for years. I started sewing, on my grandmother's Singer treadle (ca.1900)sewing machine that did way better then this thing! Buyer beware of buying this sewing machine, or any Singer sewing machine for that matter. Singer has apparently been bought and sold many times. Singer Co.is certainly not what it used to be, shoddy workmanship and substandard parts.
In 15 years I have bought 3 Singer machines. Stupid me STAY AWAY FROM SINGER!
88 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2011
Was very happy with the quick delivery, machine was in good shape and ready to go. Had to mess around with tension a bit, but had it up and sewing within an hour. The reverse button was a challenge to get used to. You don't press the floor pedal when you push the button, but that means you only have one hand to navigate your fabric with so my backstitches are a little wonky. Hopefully it will get better with practice.
on January 31, 2012
I have made a skirt, a dress, several scrub caps, and a set of curtains using my Singer machine and have had no problems with it. The machine feeds smoothly and is very easy to thread. I've even used elastic thread in the bobbin and haven't had any problems. The stitch settings are easy to change and the LCD tells you the default setting for each stitch. Definitely a great machine, especially at this price!
on January 26, 2013
This is a very easy to use Sewing Machine. Because of the many stitching options, it is very versatile. It is very easy to learn to use, and very easy to remember how to use. It is a little powerhouse.

***

About 2 years ago, my sister decided she wanted to learn how to sew. She needed an easy sewing machine that she could "learn" with and since I sew, she asked me to look into the best one for her ~ this is the one I chose for her. She loved (loves) it!

When my 14 year old daughter asked for a sewing machine, this is the one I immediately turned to. It is almost a year later and NO regrets. I'd buy this sewing machine again in a heartbeat.
on August 19, 2012
I am getting to be of the age where threading the needle by hand is getting difficult. So I was really excited by the automatic needle threading feature. Well, it was kind of finacky for the first year, and after that, I don't even try. I looked online for some answers, and this seems to be kind of a throw-away feature. Other than that, I would rate this machine a 4. It does everything except threading the needle competently, but I wasn't blown away. Still, for the price, it seems to be well made. I haven't exactly put the machine through its paces as a seamstress (my time is mostly taken with mending these days). But it did sew up the dog's toy very well - she couldn't rip another whole there!

If you need a machine to do basic chores, a little sewing (I made a couple dresses, just cotton) and mending, it is competent. I was able to hem up a pair of leggings with the elastic stitch, and it looked pretty good. But if you buy this machine because you are of the age where an automatic needle threader is essential, you will not be pleased.
on February 10, 2012
I received this as a Christmas gift. However the machine birdnests like crazy despite any amount of tension adjustment even after talking to Singer themselves. I thought it was due to my ignorance regarding sewing since I've never owned a sewing machine. I had four people look at the device to evaluate it. My mother has sewn since I was a child as has by husband's mother. They used to sew on old fashioned style sewing machines. My sister has been sewing for 10 years on a rather fancy new sewing machine. A friend of mine owns a company wherein she provides handmade military purses. All of them advised me to return the sewing machine and that I would spend far more time trying to adjust it then I would sewing. The machine ruined five projects and the fabrics that I had purchased. I'll never recommend this machine to anyone for any purpose. It's a waste of time and money.
on April 23, 2012
I purchased this machine at Costco last year. I have used it a handful of times and it generally gives me headaches. The machine is extremely finicky that the tension and pressure are set just so or it breaks the thread or bunches underneath. The pressure foot often needs to be assisted with the fabric feeding, even with light materials. I attempted to hem some light denim, with denim needles and thread. Online research revealed that this machine should be able to do so. However, I held my breath the whole time and had to coax my way through the job... and in the end it didn't do a great job. Stitches on any fabric, no matter the setting often look loose one one side or the other.

Today I took this machine back to Costco and have purchased a different model. Thank you Costco for being so awesome, even after over 1 year!