5.0 out of 5 stars Singer proved quality ...
Published on July 20, 2012 by Angela

1.0 out of 5 stars Singer 6160
Published 22 months ago by Cheryl Murdock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Singer 6160, November 25, 2012
This review is from: SINGER 6160 Computerized Sewing Machine with Auto Needle Threader (Misc.)
This Singer model 6160 deserves no star. I purchased this Singer model @ the world's largest retail store chain when it first came out. No reviews were out at the time. So I thought go Singer you can't go wrong; Right? I have been sewing for over 40 yr. I'm a seamstress, and have designed my own patterns. So I am no dummy using a sewing machine. This is by far the worst machine model 6160 from Singer. Were do I begin. As with other reviews:
#1)Bobbin thread bunches up for no apparent reason and has come out of the
casing on several occasions.
#2)Machine does not handle thick fabrics at all.
#3)There are multiple problems with tension settings; either too tight, or too
loose no continuity in setting tension.
#4)Thread seams to continuously come out of thread take up lever causing
continuous thread breakage while sewing and have to stop, and re-thread the
machine sometimes several times during just doing one seam!
5#)Also automatic threader has never worked. I have never had such a frustrating
sewing machine. I will be getting another sewing machine soon. Sewing to me is
suppose to be pleasurable and relaxing, not with this model.
My blood pressure goes up when I'm sewing on this junk. I will never ever get another machine that has a bottom bobbin casing I don't even want to sell this p.o.s. to anyone. Best place unfortunately is the dumpster. Singer shame on you! I have been getting Singer's for years. I started sewing, on my grandmother's Singer treadle (ca.1900)sewing machine that did way better then this thing! Buyer beware of buying this sewing machine, or any Singer sewing machine for that matter. Singer has apparently been bought and sold many times. Singer Co.is certainly not what it used to be, shoddy workmanship and substandard parts.
In 15 years I have bought 3 Singer machines. Stupid me STAY AWAY FROM SINGER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer proved quality ..., July 20, 2012
This sewing machine is honestly excellent. The one I got wasn't even from Amazon but I want to share my experience and possibly help somebody who is looking for the 'right' sewing machine. I tried out Every stitch and it came out perfectly. I would work on my projects for several hours and never had it overheat, slow down or make some weird noises. It's not too loud but don't expect no sound at all. I used All purpose thread and it worked really nice. Tension was easy to adjust like everything else. There are many people who are simply 'Singer' users and naturally know how to work on these machines while other people prefer other brands and get used to other operating system , quality or simply design... so I am a definite Singer user and will be as long as they keep up the good work :)
So after this one got stolen from me I went and bought exactly the same one because I know that my projects will come out as I planned.
Other than that, design is elegant, shape is nice , not too big not too heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a first time sewer as well as a seasoned one!, January 26, 2013
This is a very easy to use Sewing Machine. Because of the many stitching options, it is very versatile. It is very easy to learn to use, and very easy to remember how to use. It is a little powerhouse.

***

About 2 years ago, my sister decided she wanted to learn how to sew. She needed an easy sewing machine that she could "learn" with and since I sew, she asked me to look into the best one for her ~ this is the one I chose for her. She loved (loves) it!

When my 14 year old daughter asked for a sewing machine, this is the one I immediately turned to. It is almost a year later and NO regrets. I'd buy this sewing machine again in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine!, January 31, 2012
I have made a skirt, a dress, several scrub caps, and a set of curtains using my Singer machine and have had no problems with it. The machine feeds smoothly and is very easy to thread. I've even used elastic thread in the bobbin and haven't had any problems. The stitch settings are easy to change and the LCD tells you the default setting for each stitch. Definitely a great machine, especially at this price!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Greatest, April 23, 2012
I purchased this machine at Costco last year. I have used it a handful of times and it generally gives me headaches. The machine is extremely finicky that the tension and pressure are set just so or it breaks the thread or bunches underneath. The pressure foot often needs to be assisted with the fabric feeding, even with light materials. I attempted to hem some light denim, with denim needles and thread. Online research revealed that this machine should be able to do so. However, I held my breath the whole time and had to coax my way through the job... and in the end it didn't do a great job. Stitches on any fabric, no matter the setting often look loose one one side or the other.

Today I took this machine back to Costco and have purchased a different model. Thank you Costco for being so awesome, even after over 1 year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer sewing machine, December 28, 2012
Very nice machine, great price for the product. Has a good variety of settings. Lots of extra sewing feet. It sews great!

2.0 out of 5 stars If Only The Automatic Needle Threader Worked!, August 19, 2012
Sydney's Mom "7923" (Clarendon Hills, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I am getting to be of the age where threading the needle by hand is getting difficult. So I was really excited by the automatic needle threading feature. Well, it was kind of finacky for the first year, and after that, I don't even try. I looked online for some answers, and this seems to be kind of a throw-away feature. Other than that, I would rate this machine a 4. It does everything except threading the needle competently, but I wasn't blown away. Still, for the price, it seems to be well made. I haven't exactly put the machine through its paces as a seamstress (my time is mostly taken with mending these days). But it did sew up the dog's toy very well - she couldn't rip another whole there!

If you need a machine to do basic chores, a little sewing (I made a couple dresses, just cotton) and mending, it is competent. I was able to hem up a pair of leggings with the elastic stitch, and it looked pretty good. But if you buy this machine because you are of the age where an automatic needle threader is essential, you will not be pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bobbin problems, January 18, 2012
I have practiced with this brand new machine several times. The first time, all was well. The second time.....total catastrophe with the bobbin. It jams, can't seem to get it working right. I actually returned it and got the same one and have the same problems with the bobbin snarling. I haven't completed one project. It's useless to me, absolutely useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE !, December 4, 2012
i love this machine, it works so amazing and quick. ! i use it to sew everything and almost every day!

1.0 out of 5 stars Severely disappointed!, July 25, 2012
I tried to get this machine to work for 2 days. It was able to produce less than 2 feet of plain seaming for a quilt. The bobbin constantly jammed. I would re-thread the needle and bobbin, and the machine would work for a few inches before making clunking noises and jamming again. I received an error message of C4, and when I looked that up in the handbook, I was told to unplug the machine, correct the problem that was causing the thread to jam, and plug the machine back in again. No hint as to how to prevent the problem from happening.

Needless to say, this unit is being returned and I have purchased another brand of machine. This machine may look like a bargain, but it was NO bargain to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›