on June 21, 2004
What makes this product so attractive is that by connecting it to a computer you can get an endless amount of embroidery designs. It is also a full feature sewing machine.
I bought this item for my wife's birthday. It does everything that is advertised. The sewing functions are straight forward, and everything worked as it should.
The embroidery isn't as staight forward. The instructions are very poor, and limited. Although I have to admit, that I figured most of it out fairly quickly. The embroidery is slow, and of course you have to change thread for every color change in your pattern. The designs came out looking good. I also downloaded some free designs from other sites, and they worked just as well.
My problem with this machine is two fold. The one we bought broke after only a few hours of use. It was a minor problem. The bobbin holder had a crack where the tension screw goes in. At first everything was fine, but within a few hours the thread started catching in the crack until it was unusable. I'm sure that this won't be a problem for most customers.
The second problem is much more severe in my opinion. No one has parts for the machine, and it's near impossible to even get a parts list. One item that doesn't come with the machine that my wife wanted was a zipper foot. The part number for that item was listed in the book, but when I went to find it, absolutely no one had it. I even wrote Singer's part's department, and they wrote back telling me to call.
It's a neat machine. As long as you get one that works, and aren't concerned about parts availability, I don't think you can find a better ebroidery machine for less money.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2005
I have owned my Futura for a little over a year. I was interested in an embroidery machine with a larger field-- I own a brother PE-400D, which I love, but the embroidery field is small.

I am the type who likes to monogram towels, burp cloths, etc-- just for fun and as gifts.

I loved the idea of the Futura being powered by the computer rather than those expensive embroidery cards. I had bought several of them for my Brother, and they seemed way over-priced for what you get.

I also purchased the Hyperfont software so I can now use ANY true-type font on this machine. That is so fun! I can also download ANY embroidery design onto my machine. The Futura reads ALL formats. They have a ton of free designs out on their site, too.

As far as the machine operation itself-- I would agree that it can be a little tempermental at times. The tension has never seemed to register correctly and you have to experiment with it at times to find the right balance. The proper stablizers and thread are critical.

If you are computer savvy at all, I would say you can figure out just about anything on this machine yourself-- without the help of customer support. The DVD/CDs they include are really helpful.

For the price you just can't beat this machine-- I researched and researched before I bought. You will pay at least $1000 for the next step up for a machine with comparable sewing field and you won't be able to use your computer. Brother does have a step up machine for about $700 but you will still be tied to those cards.

This machine is DEFINITELY NOT for everyone. It takes patience and can make you mad at times. You need a good deal of common sense to be able to operate it. The high-end machines definitely work without the hassle, but you are also paying the price for them.

If you are like me, and just want to have the ability to embroider here and there for family and friends, then this might be a good buy for you.
on January 1, 2005
I DID own the Singer CE100 (until I returned it!) and speak from personal experience. I purchased this as an embroidery machine rather than a sewing machine and was sadly disappointed. There seems to be a communication problem between the software and the machine. My husband, who makes his living working with software and hardware, spent 15 hours trying to get it to communicate properly and consistently; finally he gave up in frustration.

Error messages don't always display and, when the machine would simply refuse to run, we were left having to guess at what the problem could be. On the other hand, sometimes the machine would just stop and an accurate error message--"thread broken"- would be displayed in spite of the fact that the machine was threaded properly and the thread was intact. This machine, at least in its embroidery capacity, is most certainly NOT user friendly and getting online help is a joke! To make matters worse, the manual instructions are unclear and inadequate. After three wasted days of hassle, we finally returned the machine for a refund.

A MUCH better choice, in my opinion, is the Brother 6500. It's a litle more expensive, but well worth it. The software is easy to use and the machine is a delight. It took us less than an hour to uncrate it, set it up, and get it working correctly. This is a much better value.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2005
I wanted to get into machine embroidery to embroider on the quilts I make. This machine is the cats meow. I am able to embroider, and download tons of free designs off the internet (@ annthegran for one). Other machines that I looked at were on sale for half price $1399. I don't know about you but that was way out of my price range. Then you have to pay from $130-$150 for design cards that you get maybe 10 - 20 designs on, and if you want to be able to download off the internet $599 for a box that can do what this machine can when hooked up to any laptop or computer. The only thing I would recommend is that when you purchase this machine you purchase it from a dealer. Not to bad mouth amazon, I love amazon. But when you purchase this machine mail order Singer service centers will NOT honor the warranty. Also when you purchase this machine from a dealer you get unlimited lessons on your machine (not that you need it, if you know the first thing about computers and sewing machines this machine is a breeze to work), and deals on thread and stabalizers. Good luck with your choice. I hope this has helped.
on May 22, 2006
Verified Purchase
My husband bought this for me a year ago, I had never used an embroidery machine before. I was kind of scared about having to learn the new technology. I flipped through the manual for about 30 minutes and then got started, it worked easily and effortlessly. I use the software to digitize clipart and drawings that I scan into the computer, it is so much fun! Family members and friends are always so impressed when they see what I make. I'm going to a wedding in a month and I plan on monogramming some towels as a present.

I've never had any problem with the bobbin or software. However, sometimes if I cancel the embroidery transmission halfway through, the machine will start flashing and I wont be able to start a new project until I unplug the USB, turn off the machine, and restart my computer. But that only happens very rarely. Also, when I first got the machine I had trouble with thread breakage because I had unknowingly bought very poor quality rayon thread. I now use good quality polyester and the thread never breaks anymore. I recommend this machine!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really wanted to like it. I tried hard to like this machine.

This thing sews beautifully, but if you want a sewing machine with a lot of great stitches, there are a lot of better choices at a lower price. For embroidery, it leaves so much to be desired that it's a shame to call this an embroidery machine.

The software is a little difficult and the manual doesn't do much to help you through it. There is a 90+ page manual on the installation CD but they don't bother to tell you that. It's a well kept secret. Once you've ingested that 90 or so pages, it's a snap to use the software.

The CE100 is pretty basic and the CE200 comes with digitizing software but you can buy it as a separate item for around $200 if you're set on buying the CE100.

As far as support for the machine, I'm sure you'll get it if you buy it from a dealer. I bought mine online and several months later, I am still having problems getting the machine to stitch out embroidery designs. Maybe I got a lemon? Maybe.

Whether I got a bad one or not is irrelevant. What really matters is the support I have gotten (or rather, haven't gotten) from Singer Support. Calls leave me on hold for over an hour until I have to hang up because my ear is numb. Daily emails go ignored and unanswered. Rare answers are sketchy and unrelated to the problems I'm having. I've resorted to hardcopy letters mailed with samples of the embroidery with notes written on it to show the poor stitch quality, the broken threads, the large loops (even with adjustments). So far? I have five months left on the warranty and Singer just doesn't feel the need to resolve anything.

So, basically, if you have a few hundred bucks and feel like dumping more money in after you've spent that, and you like being ignored, treated badly, and really would like a large blue and white electric paperweight, then this Singer Futura CE100 is for you.
on December 12, 2005
Within hours of sewing on my new Singer CE-100 Futura Sewing and Embroidery Machine my entire project was ruined. I was sewing with satin and a basic straight stitch when suddenly the bobbin housing popped out of the machine with such violent force that it broke the needle and jammed the satin so tightly into the machine that it had to be cut out of the machine. At first I thought it was because perhaps the bobbin was not loaded or because the tension was off and chalked it up to my excitement to rush into a new project on my hour old machine, however, after closer examination, two more needles, a yard of $95.00 satin and a half of a spool of thread, I learned that the housing which is made of flimsy plastic was split at the screw. The thread was getting caught in the split thus causing me to scrap my entire project, not to mention the time spent and emotional attatchment to my project... and now I am the disappointed owner of a useless machine. What a complete waste of time and expensive lesson this has been!
on March 29, 2005
As an embroidery machine, this one is lousy. I have had two of these machines. The first one arrived with a broken thread spool holder, which was made of plastic instead of metal. Right away I wondered about the quality of the parts inside the machine. I got a replacement machine from Amazon, which I have had for three months. I've had to make two visits to the local warranty center and several calls and emails to the Singer Futura customer support line. I estimate that about half of my embroidery projects are ruined by the machine. Any little thing makes it jam, which causes broken needles, damage to the bobbin case, and sometimes even holes in the fabric. It doesn't work well enough to be worth buying.
on September 10, 2007
My wife bought one of the CE-100s and after she couldn't get it running she turned it over to me, her resident tech-head with a PhD in computer science, to get the thing running. In the end it never ran at all.

My conclusion is that a pack of wolves could write better software and manuals. First you will find that the manual and install card give exactly opposite instructions on the order in which to plug in the USB and install the software (a critical detail for testy installs). After multiple installs using multiple clean machines I determined the correct order and was able to get the USB recognized. I visited a half-dozen forums and used every trick out there.

Ultimately it was all for nothing. The machine never did anything but light up and blink red all over - indicating error. The manual has a helpful list of error codes and tells you what to do based on the error code displayed.

Big problem: there is no error display! You will never know what error the machine thinks it has!

I tried methodically restarting, refreshing, and then undergoing the corrective actions for every possible error on the list - all to absolutely no effect. Ultimately I believe the problem is probably an internal mechanical one. I think the mix of "1" ratings with normal ratings is the luck of the draw whether you get a working machine or not, and the odds look to be below 50%.
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2006
These machines are awesome and powerful, but were getting poor reviews when they debuted in 2005 because of a bobbin problem and a software problem. Singer has moved to fix both problems. Newer stock of machines have a much-improved bobbin cover, which eliminates the problem of the bobbin getting progressively worse. A new version of the software has no known problems. You can update your software at their website, or call customer service to get the problem fixed. I have found their customer service to be first rate. Poke around the website for tons more information than is in the books that come with it.

For a long time, embroidery machines were sort of the gift for the person who has everything. You had to be pretty rich to own one. It takes a lot of computer power to translate a pixel to a stitch, and embroidery machines were incredibly expensive, and subject to all kinds of problems. NOT a good financial investment for those of us with other claims on our cash; therefore, the machines were largely in the hands of older, more financially well-off individuals, and the designs available for them tended to be cutesy and trite. Singer has done the most brilliant thing by enabling us to put the computers we already OWN to work running the embroidery machine. You just hook this up to your laptop, and you can convert any file format to run on your machine. It has taken all the barriers to designing away with the (optional on the CE-100, included on the CE-200)Auto-Punch software, which enables you to convert any .bmp or .jpeg or .wmf or just about any little image file and turn it into an embroidery design. There is literally no limit to what you can do with it. And the stitch quality is excellent. Think about it--your kids can draw a picture, and you can turn it into an embroidery design! The mind reels!

Singer is to be congratulated on making machine embroidery accessible to the masses. This is truly a breakthrough for creative people everywhere.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations