5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Machine
I am a professional seamstress and I own 2 real industrial sewing machines plus several home machines. I've always been curious to see this one working and I have to say, this is a GREAT machine, it DOES sew almost as fast as the real industrial machines. Here are some points of interest from this machine:

- The set-up could not be simpler, it has a very...
Published on June 5, 2010 by E. Docton

2.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawing board
Published on August 23, 2010 by Hot Tin Roof New Orleans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawing board, August 23, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
Uhm...no. Sorry guys, back to the drawing board on this machine. It is absolutely riddled with design flaws and I must agree with another reviewer: Singer is NOT the company it once was, certainly not the company that has been used and trusted in my family for over 80 years. There is NOTHING (I repeat, NOTHING) heavy-duty about this machine. Basically, this is a standard grade home sew machine, repackaged to look "industrial" with a beefed-up, clutch style motor. Though this machine is very fast (as fast as most industrial machines) it does not have the pressure in the presser foot nor the power in the feed mechanism to support the motor speed. With the slightest resistance, the motor will race away, producing stitches while your work remains stationary under the presser foot. Though the variable needle position is handy, it is very unstable. The slightest pull dislodges the needle position (even with the needle at its lowest point)producing uneven stitch length and unpredictable stitch position. Needless to say, top stitching produced by this machine in anything heavier than cotton broadcloth is appalling. Just forget sewing with wool melton or any other cloth that has substantial loft. Because of insufficient foot pressure, this machine skips in heavy fabrics and leaves clumps of unused thread on the bobbin side. And speaking of bobbins...who would use a Type 66 bobbin in what is called a heavy duty machine? Yes, the drop-in bobbin is very convenient but the Type 66 requires constant re-threading. It's simply not a bobbin with high enough capacity for large or heavy jobs. I agree with a previous reviewer: the accessories included with this "heavy duty" machine are a joke. The spot-weld on the general purpose foot broke within the first week of use. It is now held together with crazy glue because I dread calling Singer for a replacement. The so-called zipper foot is a half inch piece of plastic encased in something resembling tin foil. Also broken. When I received my machine, the accessory package, foot pedal, power cords, warranty and owners manual were missing from the box. It took three weeks to get them. The owners manual was back ordered for over 8 weeks. Is no one at Singer nimble-minded enough to scan the manual and make it available as a PDF download? Perhaps the most frustrating thing about this machine is that, at the $200.00 plus price point, it does not include features available on Singer's entry level machine, Singer Simple. The Simple model includes variable foot pressure (which is easily tightened using the enclosed screw driver) or the extra inch of clearance under the presser foot, VERY handy for heavier projects. Honestly, I tried to return this machine two weeks after purchase but neither the supplier nor Singer would take it back. Singer has the worst customer service department I have ever encountered and...well...just skip the website. It is woefully inadequate. Two thumbs down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Machine, June 5, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)

- The set-up could not be simpler, it has a very standard, easy to understand threading system.
- The stitches are nice and straight, all seams are beautiful. If the machine starts skipping stitches, check the thread and the needle, I found the few times I had this issue, I was using the wrong sized needle for the project.
- The Button Hole maker is very mechanical, you have complete control over the seams and when to stop. If you are used to the "one button" feature on other machines, this might take some time to get used to.
- This machine is POTENT, you need a super sturdy, super strong sewing table to use this machine to it's full potential, otherwise you will end up shaking your entire area.
- Use GOOD quality thread, I found that the lower quality thread don't hold up to the power and speed to this machine, they break easily with this machine.

Things I wish it had {but are not necessary}
- Thread cutter on the side of the machine as most of the new machines.
- Automatic needle lowering which is great for not loosing your place in between seams.
- Different size button hole stitches. This machine only offers one size of stitch that's pre-determined. You can make the holes as long as you want them, but the actual stitches come only in one size.

Overall, if you are going to spend 200-300 on a machine, why not a machine that is strong and will last you forever with minor maintenance?

3.0 out of 5 stars Singer is not the company it used to be., February 19, 2010
Elizabeth Jamieson "faekeeper" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I love my new Singer HD, I bought it for making a canvas tent. It's quiet and sews through thick fabric beautifully. However, I am shocked that Singer, the brand my mother swore by, put a cheap plastic needle holder and cheap plastic bobbin holder in a HEAVY DUTY machine. I've already had to replace these two parts because they broke. On the needle holder, I was just changing out a needle and the screw shaft came out in my fingers as I was loosening the screw. This rendered my machine useless until I could buy a replacement part. We sewers know how frustrating it can be to be without a sewing machine when working with a deadline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Smooth Machine, June 27, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
We do alot of sewing on tackle twill for uniforms.This machine is super easy to use.Although I originally thought it was a metal machine.Stupid me it was plastic that looked like metal.Pretty great machine for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer HD110 - Super Machine!, February 24, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
It's an absolutely great machine. A little picky about how the bobbin is wound but other than that I couldn't be happier with it. It's ease in working with it surpasses even the other Singer machine that I have (don't remember which model it is right this minute) but I'll tell you that I prefer to work on this machine. Putting in the needle is a little tricky too, but the fact that it has a needle threader too is totally awesome. I'm getting to the point where I have some difficulty threading a needle (without squinting a lot) and this little gem is just what I needed. I would recommend this product to anyone who enjoys sewing and mending. It's the greatest!

1.0 out of 5 stars UGHHHH, April 5, 2011
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
Looks great- works terribly right away and the parts are flimsy-bobbin holder broke. The directions refer to names and letters that do not appear in any of the diagrams. Loud, not smooth movement (no purrr).
Returned in two days-

4.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS BUT, April 11, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I got this for my Mother who is a seamstress, she said it works fine, but it's not as heavy duty as they act like. It's just a standard machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars heavy duty, February 3, 2010
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
i bought this sewing machine to be able to make dog collars. it holds up well to the heavy webbing i use. very good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., January 10, 2011
my 2 cents "my 2 cents" (San Clemente, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
For a regular every day machine that sews through cotton & denim this is a nice machine...albeit, it's loud and you can find a better machine for this price that isn't as obnoxious. Singer isn't what it used to be. Their Customer Service is simply atrocious! When I had issues with this machine and contacted the (800) number they provided with the machine I continually received a busy signal no matter what day or what time of day I called. The only way to reach them is via email and it takes almost two weeks (if not longer!) to receive a reply - that's RIDICULOUS! Personally, I would rather speak with someone immediately when I have an issue/question (guess Brother spoiled me!) than have to sit and wait for a reply and wonder when that reply will come :( My projects can't wait and neither can I :) Also, DO NOT watch the youtube video where it goes through stacks of denim, leather and lead (as in the metal) as it will mislead you as it did me. Again, this machine CANNOT handle the heavy-duty workload as the name suggests and that's what I needed it for. IF I needed a basic machine, didn't mind the noise and didn't care about being able to easily make a phone call if I needed help, I would have considered keeping this one, but ultimately, their lack of Customer Service (meaning, NOT being able to reach them at all!) sealed the deal. I did a little research and returned it. I then bought a Janome. Best purchase EVER!

I am giving this machine 3-stars because Customer Support is important and they have NONE! As for the machine, if you are using it for the basics you will be happy but you can do better! It is significantly louder than my Brother & Janome and even my Industrial machine. And for the record, these other three machines are quiet and I can actually reach Customer Service when I need them! So happy I packed this Singer up and sent it back. Wish that Singer paid attention to their buyers and read reviews but clearly they don't care about their customers or their needs. Seems that the consensus is "they aren't what they used to be". So sad!

3.0 out of 5 stars Singer HD110, March 31, 2011
This review is from: SINGER HD-110 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
This machine was purchased for it's ability to sew through heavy fabrics and multiple layers such as denim side seams. It is faster and more powerful than a regular sewing machine and feels more like a serger in that respect. At first glance, you would expect the entire housing of the machine to be metal. It is not and isn't really a necessary feature, just an observation. The machine is layed out like a standard sewing machine as far as threading, dials, etc. I found the thread cutter to be awkward to locate at times. The tiny hook of the needle threader did not line up with the needle when engaged but when I pushed it from behind it worked nicely and I can deal with the extra effort. The light is not the brightest but I have a well lit room and a large window. The threading guides are a bit unusual but nothing I can't live with. The accessor feet are plastic and with a bit of care will probably do the job. Your main foot is metal. There is no storage on board but a vinyl bag is supplied. There are lots of compensations to be made but for a basic, HD, manual it is adequate for the price. Want more? Spend more.

The positives are that the machine doesn't travel when going full speed, the very substancial extention table is a big plus for you if you quilt(circles of different sizes can be a fun way to finish a quilt). I was happy to see that the bed of the machine converted to a free arm as I had not yet read this anywhere.

Now, having used this machine on a very heavy duty job, I can evaluate it more throughly. It struggles with six layers of upholstery fabric (pleats). The pressure foot did not seem consistant, roomy, or strong enough. A pressure control would be helpful. There was slippage of the fabric and the feed dogs did not move the fabric at times. Due to the speed, I had better control guiding the multiple layers of fabric from both behind and in front of the needle. The pedal is oversensitive, it either barely moves the needle or it races full speed. I had trouble making it sew at a slow-medium speed. I must have bumped the very loose control levers because I was suddenly in a different stitch and unsewed 3". I encountered some jamming but after looking for a reason I discovered the thread had come out of the guides due to the speed I guess. They are a bit unusual. Winding several bobbins first is a must because of the class 66 that this machine uses especially if the thread is heavier for a heavier fabric and a heavy duty job.

I have downgraded my initial review, however, I still feel the 110 is stronger than a more expensive sewing machine. It still does what my others can't. I have other machines to make up for what this one lacks but this one does what the others would struggle to do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›