5.0 out of 5 stars My first Kinetic Watch
Published 22 months ago by D. Harp

2.0 out of 5 stars oof, kinetic...
I hope that is will be a helpful review for someone considering this watch. Naturally, watches aren't just utilitarian so there's quite a bit of subjectivity here. For the tl;dr crowd:

Pros:
* attractive and easy to read
* has the date
* in theory, if you wear it daily, it shouldn't need a battery change for 20 years
* keeps accurate time...
Published 9 months ago by zaad

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Kinetic Watch, November 26, 2012
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
This is a fun watch. The green highlights along the black background really make it stand out. I would say the kinetic watch is a hybrid from a automatic mechanical watch and a battery quartz watch. It has a mechanical movement that charges a capacitor that sends a an electrical input to the quartz. When fully charge, it will last for about 30 days. You will never replace another battery and it is highly accurate. I really like listening to the watch wind when shaking it side to side. Like most mechanical watches, the back of this watch has a glass view port where you can view the mechanical features of the watch movement.

2.0 out of 5 stars oof, kinetic..., December 7, 2013
zaad (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)

Pros:
* attractive and easy to read
* has the date
* keeps accurate time (even the worst of the quartz watches is generally off less than 15 seconds a month).

Cons:
* terrible strap - bunches up and the lumps show through on the top surface (actually makes the watch less attractive)
* kinetic instead of solar (250 swings for 1 day worth of charge) - requires much more effort to keep it charged
* swinging mechanism is very noisy (multitudes louder than a automatic)
* lume on the hands are okay, but only the dividers are luminous, the numbers are not - so takes a bit of mental trickery to divine the time in the dark
* the crown protrudes quite far as to occasionally leave impressions on the back of my hand depending on what I'm doing
* extra button to check the charge (why? *more below)
* the second hand aligns to the left edge of the minute marks instead of to the center (YMMV)

The longer explanation:

I love watches (always have). And even though I could just check the time on my phone, I just can't seem to manage. Plus I've always worn a watch, and just don't feel right not wearing one. I wanted a daily wearer, and had some rather specific criteria.

1) should be easy to read the time quickly (I don't understand watches where there are so many things on the dial that it takes some concerted mental effort to figure out the time)

2) needs to be waterproof enough where I can shower or bathe with it (so anything that's not at least 100M or 10ATM/BAR is out)

3) accurate enough that I shouldn't need to futz with it every week or two to adjust the time

4) ideally not need battery changes (I'm a geek that likes to fix things, so I actually have tools to open up watch cases and can change the battery myself - but even so, regular watches just suddenly stop and there's the whole needing to find/get the right battery; I'd just rather not deal with the hassle)

5) ideally have both the date and day display

6) not ugly (subjective, but I'm the one that have to look at it every day...)

When my Citizen Eco-Drive (solar) quartz watch was stolen, I set out to find another daily wearer. It was totally hassle free and accurate (off only few seconds in several months), and I never needed to worry about the charge. The only reason why I didn't want to buy it again was that it had a proprietary strap, so that when it broke, my only option was to buy an expensive replacement off the Internet (local dealers don't carry it).

Not having a lot of experience with automatics, I ended up getting a Seiko automatic. It fit all of the criteria except for accuracy. I would lose a couple of minutes every week or so, enough that I would show up late for meetings and whatnot without realizing that my watch was slow. I've tried regulating it, and even though the accuracy is better, it's still just not anywhere as easy and accurate as a quartz. Shame because I really love the look and functionality/practicality otherwise.

Since I was pretty happy with the automatic (accuracy aside), I though maybe I'd try a kinetic. I think this is one of the quirks of history that IMO should be avoided going forward. An automatic just has to wind a spring, so relatively speaking, it's fairly easily accomplished. The mechanism can hardly be felt and is pretty quiet in normal situations (I've never really noticed it). The kinetic OTOH, has to charge a rechargeable battery. To accomplish this, the Seiko engineers had to gear the crap out of the swinging mechanism, and the result is almost like wearing a rattle that makes gear spinning noises on your wrist. I happened to have gone to a pretty noisy party tonight, and while lifting up my wrist to check the time, I actually heard the gear spinning noise. It would be terrible if you were to do this say, in a quiet meeting room...

The strap wasn't a huge deal, since I just assumed that I'd replace it. Then there's the odd lume markings being only on the dividers. Then there's the second hand not quite aligning in the center. Then there's the whole noisy rattle thing on the wrist thing. Also, though not really a "fault" because I knew it didn't have a day display, once all of the other negatives all added together and even though I find it an attractive watch, it just makes it an undesirable watch for me.

One last mention about the kinetic charging. Note that none of the solar watches have battery metering/checking/gauges. The simple reason is that human beings don't live in darkness, and even if you're office bound and are never in the sun, there's enough light to keep the watch charged. So unless you keep the watch in a dark drawer, you simply never have to worry about the charge. The kinetic charging mechanism is quite different. The short gist is that it's poor fit for charging a rechargeable battery because of the amount of work required. Though the Seiko engineers impressively managed the feat, they ended up with a noisy mechanism that's prone to not recharge the battery enough (250 arm swings = 1 day worth of charge).

Well, if you're still reading this, here's another bit of um, trivia (that I've found out since buying this watch). The early Seiko kinetics actually used a different (custom Seiko designed) battery (not actually a capacitor) that was prone to failure, so if you google "seiko kinetic battery failure," you'll find out that essentially rechargeable batteries don't like to be discharged completely. And since it's much more difficult to keep a battery charged by swinging your arm (especially if you don't wear the watch everyday), a lot of people's batteries died prematurely. The newer battery is designed by Maxell (TC920S) and is essentially in the same class as the Citizen Eco-Drive battery (Panasonic MT920) and provided you can keep it at some nominal charge level, the life expectancy is around 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, July 17, 2013
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
I wanted to try a watch that no longer required replacement batteries. This has worked out well for me. It fits great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good watch for the price, June 2, 2013
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
Lightweight and accurate. Time will tell if the kinetic charging system was worth it. The band could be a little longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars seiko ska577, April 1, 2013
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
very nice watch, band is kinda stiff but time will help, fits like a glove... if watches were gloves. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool watch., July 3, 2013
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
I was very pleased with the product and also the service. It came on time. It is not big and bulky as the invicta watch that i bought from another store online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13, 2014
I love it I give it 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure this is the watch for you., June 9, 2014
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
I'm bought this watch because of Zaad's two star review. It is an excellent review. I urge everyone considering this watch to read it.

I, as Zaad, needed a watch for everyday wear that is: easy to read, waterproof enough to survive a shower or a rainy outdoor day, accurate enough to not need weekly or daily time adjustments, not need a battery change, some type of date complication, not ugly (again look at the picture and decide for yourself).

My expectations, I found, were in line with the review and I purchased the watch. Zaad seemed to me to have analyzed these points thoughtfully and in my opinion I was willing to live with the pros and cons as he described them. And after three weeks of living with this watch and wearing daily I have to say Zaad's analysis was exactly on the money in every respect.

Regarding the charging. Zaad is correct in pointing out it takes some effort. I was able to fully charge my watch (6 month power reserve or so) only after several 30 mile fixed gear rides (constant peddling no coasting) with the watch placed in my sock; meaning you need to really be active with it otherwise you will find it stubbornly unwilling to go beyond the 1/3 charge level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch I was looking for, April 4, 2014
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
I read almost all the comments here and I started to wonder if Kinetic is a good choice. After receiving the watch and the first hours of using it I can tell this: I do not hear any loud mechanism, the watch strap is comfortable, the watch has a great look and very nicely lit in the darkness both arms and the four points hourly - so one sees an hour very easily and clearly.
Again, I have words of appreciation for the seller - they sent the watch to Poland while Amazon did not want to do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, March 15, 2014
This review is from: SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch (Watch)
This Seiko kinetic watch is very unique and beautiful.
Design and colors are so nice and my friends envy my watch.

SK Mens Kinetic 42.0mm Watch