4.0 out of 5 stars A great little tile saw for the price
My tile saw came well packaged and assembled in minutes. As I expected this is not a professional/contractor tool by any means
but for the DIY homeowner it is good value for money, simple and surprisingly capable. I needed to tile a
kitchen backsplash using quite ornate tile. In addition to the usual straight cuts there were a lot of 45 degree angle cuts...
Published on October 27, 2010 by RichNazPA

2.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive tile saw better suited to floor tiles
Summary: 2.5 stars for this inexpensive, decently featured little tile saw for light DIY jobs. Sadly, several annoyances keep this saw from getting higher rating.

Published on December 27, 2010 by GS

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little tile saw for the price, October 27, 2010
This review is from: SKIL 3540-02 4.2-Amp 7-Inch Wet Tile Saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
At the end of the job the blade that came with the saw was still cutting well.
I will be tiling a couple of bathrooms in the future and am confident this little baby will be up to the job.
The saw has no water pump (which I like because they can be a headache) and the saw blade simply runs in the water in the water reservoir.
The reservoir is small and I had to 'top up' the reservoir every second or third cut from a garden watering can.
The saw is super easy to clean up with a garden hose at the end of each cutting session.
All in all this is one of the better tools (for the price) that I own. I am still using the original saw blade
The fence adjustment can be a bit awkward initially but you soon get the hang of it.
Pros: Inexpensive, Simple design, durable. The motor is quite adequate and with a little care you can make accurate cuts.
Cons; Fence adjustment needs a little patience. Water reservoir is small.

Update: 18 months later the tile saw is still working well. But I did have a problem with the
on/off switch. It stopped working. I called the SkilSaw parts department and they shipped a replacement
to me right away at minimal cost(seven dollars). It arrived within a week and installation was a breeze. This saw is all I need as an
amateur DIY guy.
UPdate: 2 and a half years since original purchase and another tiling job just finished! The saw ( with original blade!)is still working
as well as the day I bought it. This saw has paid for itself over and over again.
!

2.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive tile saw better suited to floor tiles, December 27, 2010

I purchased the Skil 3540-02 Tile saw for a modest bathroom remodel from a nameless large box store, where it was ten dollars cheaper, than Amazon. The Skil is a very reasonably priced entry level tile saw, and includes everything to get you started working right out of the box (assembly requires #2 Phillips head screw driver). The saw is best for a DIYer who needs to use a tile saw for several days, but who cannot afford to rent or buy a more fully featured saw. While it performed its main function well enough, it had several irritating quirks that kept me from giving it a higher rating.

The quirks included things like; a fence that did not move smoothly, requiring both ends to be fully un/re screwed, and had to be carefully squared each time to the blade. The second annoyance was the included blade's kerf is too wide for making cuts in more delicate glazed porcelain wall tile, causing tear out. The blade is better suited to thicker floor tile. Finally, the blade guard sits too close to the blade, and bound against 2 thinner kerfed non-Skil blades I had picked up as a work around to the tear out issues I had encountered.

After using the Skil tile saw for half a day, the quirks forced me to return it, and I picked up the more sturdy Ryobi Model: WS730 7 in. Tile Saw, currently on sale for $99 bucks from another nameless big box store. The Ryobi has its own issues, but definitely did a better job.

Pros: Price, features include everything to get started
Cons: Annoying fence system; included blade kerf too thick for for delicate tile; guard binds against non-Skil branded blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best saw I've used (in the lower end versions), December 6, 2012
I've used $900 saws with laser guides, pumps etc. I've used the $75 one at home debot (yellow, can't remember brand) which is total garbage and good for one job at best. And, I've used everything in between. This is an excellent saw for the money!

I did probably 200 cuts on it so far all on the same blade. The only thing you have to keep an eye on is the water level. The water tray is a bit small and I have to fill it up every 20 cuts or so. Also, it does spit tile pieces and water, but mostly off to the left and right. You'll get very little water yourself if any. As long as you have the blade guard down low, it keeps it off of you and I've never gotten a piece in my eye like I do on other saws. Even my $650 Ridged would hit me in the face with a piece now and then, this never seems to, even when I have my head down six inches from the blade, looking at a cut closely.

To be honest, when it comes to making that "perfect cut", I really don't use the laser guides, measurement tools and all the fancy stuff on a high end saw anyway. I can make just as good a cuts with this saw as I usually eye-ball everything now anyway. 1 in 8 or 10 times, I'll eye-ball it wrong, but it's worth the time saved to ruin 1 in 10 tiles if I don't have to spend the time measuring. When you do have to use the guides, like when you're making ten cuts that are all the same, they do work well. They set easily and seem to be straight and accurate. Not a ton else to say about this saw. Definitely a better option than using the score and snap tools - even for the single job, home owner, I think you're better off spending another $30 - $50 and just getting the wet saw and this one is the best option I've found for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skill 7 inch Wet Tile Saw, May 19, 2012
T. golden (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Just opened this saw today and needed to cut 20 pieces of marble 12x12x3/8 in half, followed the directions which took about 5 minutes to assemble and started cutting, it goes very slow about 2 minutes for a 12 inch cut but if you take your time it will do a nice job, be sure to fill the water tray and don't even think of doing it inside the house except MAYBE the basement, you'll want to wear an apron to cover from the waist down unless you don't mind wet pants but spray isn't terrible.
When I used it I needed to replace about 6 oz of water after each cut, not a big deal but don't forget or you'll burn up your blade.
Construction of this saw is kind of light but your not paying a lot for it, I plan on making about 20-30 more cuts and for this kind of job it's a great value, it's slow but remember I'm cutting stone! For me it sure beats renting a better saw then having to return it, I can take my time and work as long as I want or put it off for days until I feel like resuming the project.
Bottom line is that I would recommend it to my friends but they'll probabily be borrowing mine instead of buying there own, for tile it would be super, stone it's not bad, brick I have no clue, since the blade protrudes about 1-1/4" I doubt it (it's not adjustable) you can tilt the table 45* though
It's small, compact and easy to move and store away. I'm glad I bought it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Messy Workhorse, Difficult Fence, May 14, 2013
When beginning a new tile job, you're probably deciding between renting and buying a tile saw, especially if you're already on Amazon looking at tile saws. Here are some simple questions you can ask yourself to decide.

Is this your first time tiling?
Buy the saw. It takes about 2 days to break even for this thing and it will be so much less stressful knowing that you don't have to rush and get it back to the store.

Do you have more than 2 days of tiling to do?
Buy the saw. It's cheaper to buy this little saw than to rent something that's most likely overkill for your project.

Do you have a LOT of LARGE (greater than 12") cuts to make or very hard material?
You may want to rent. The wet saws that are rented are much heavier duty and large than this one, and it can be cumbersome with large tiles. We successfully used it on 12" x 12" and 18" x 8" travertine tiles and that was pushing the limit of this saw's size capacity.

---

Regarding this specific saw:
We used this saw for our first tiling job to reface our brick fireplace with travertine tiles that were 12" x 12" and 18" x 8". The saw had no problem cutting straight through the travertine, although we did have issues when trying to cut a miter. That might have just been our inexperience though.

Pros
Cut through travertine with ease. We made dozens of cuts and its still running great on the same blade.
The water shield does tend to prevent most of the water from getting on your shirt.
Easy to store due to its small size and light weight.

Cons
The fence is difficult to use. I'd recommend using a square to ensure it stays square.
It's a bit small, which means you'll need to do math depending on the cut sizes you need. Be sure to account for the blade width.
Finishing the cuts was hard, although this could just be me. Going slowly seemed to help a lot.
The water reservoir is difficult to access. A funnel makes it much easier.

Overall, this wet saw is probably perfectly adequate for most home tiling projects and pays for itself in about two days. If the fence was a bit easier to use, then it would be even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small beast, March 28, 2011
Ima first time DIY on tiling. I decided to do a Diamond layout in a 360 SQ ft kitchen. I had SEVERAL wall cuts to do on 18" tile. This Skil saw performed great doing what i consider a difficult free hand cut. since the 18" tile was too big to even use the guide, i never installed it. The saw did a great job as long I drove the tile straight and did not 'pinch' the blade.

the fine pumice from the tile will build up in the built in resovoir. I used a flat head driver to pick it out- that part would be easier with a removable tray. for future projects i will extend the taple top by setting this puppy in the middle of a melamine board and fabricate a longer guide.

Good machine considering cost and what i was able to accomplish with zero previous experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent project saw, July 30, 2012
I tiled our bathroom floor. I didn't know how long it would take exactly but a rental saw was $40 a day and of course I had to take it back in time. But I ended up not finishing the first day and slept well that night knowing I had a saw for as long as I needed and it had already paid for itself.

This saw is easy to setup and use. It cut right through the thick 12 x 12 porcelin tiles. I had no problems with the fence and just kept a bucket of water on hand to keep the reservoir full. It cuts very well both with the fence and free-hand. For around the toilet flange I made several cuts to make nipping easier.

For clean up you will have to scrape out the residue from the bottom of the water reservoir. I let it set over night to let it harden up a bit and then it was easy to scrape off into a trash bag. I took it all apart and hosed everything down. If you spray the table from the top you won't have to worry about getting water inside the motor.

Fantastic little saw for the few tile projects we do around the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice saw for DIY jobs, March 19, 2012
I like this unit, good value. I used it to cut firebrick that was over 1 inch thick. You can't really use the guide to get accurate cuts, but I was able to get it done by hand. Make sure your resevoir stays full (I topped it off after each cut). The blade the unit comes with is pretty good too. I'll be using the saw again for a small tile job I've got. I would recommend this product for any DIY job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works if you can deal with frustration, March 18, 2013
Matt Strandberg (FRAMINGHAM, MA, US) - See all my reviews
I used this saw to cut the tile (12" X 12") for my bathroom floor (~60 sq ft.). I am ultimately satisfied with the floor and could not have done it without the saw, but I did have a lot of frustration and clean up (details below). Would I use it again? Yes. But I would recommend spending a little more money to get a saw that addresses some of the frustration I (and others) experienced.

THE FENCE IS HARD TO USE
-You need to tighten both wing nuts and you need to pay special attention to ensure it is actually straight.
-The fence will actually wobble in and out, affecting the width of the cut
-The edge will be dinged up after a few cuts making it harder to get the tile through straight.

In summary, the fence is designed to give you confidence about cutting straight but because it is hard to use and ineffective, it is actually much faster and (with a steady hand) more accurate to draw a perfectly straight line on the tile first then cut without the fence at all. If your floor is like mine, chances are you will need to freehand some sections anyway.

THE WATER RESERVOIR WAS POORLY DESIGNED
-It is not removable, so you should bring a bucket of water if you plan to cut in an area that your hose doesn't reach
-The reservoir is small, I found myself refilling it every 3-5 tiles
-The reservoir is indented below the table it is challengin to fill it without angling the entire saw toward the bucket.

Can they just make it easier by making this part removable and larger?

THE SAW WAS A MESS AFTER I WAS DONE AND WAS HARD TO CLEAN
-There was so much sediment from the tile in the reservoir, I had hardening concrete in the reservoir. Because it cannot be removed, I had to use lots of water, rags, screw driver, etc... to clean it out
-The fence and table were all scratched up and looking in poor condition after just one use. I was borrowing this tool brand new and embarrassed to return it in that condition.
-I spent over two hours taking everything apart and cleaning it. The tile residue got into the nut holding the blade in and almost cemented it in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a beating, keeps on cutting..., January 7, 2014
Amazon Customer (Lexington, SC USA) - See all my reviews
First time tiler, so I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. Purchased and set up in no time. Had a single big sun room to do with bay window from house into sun room. Job started easy as no cuts. Got to point where it was time to start cutting.

Made sure I had the fence aligned and screwed down very tight as other reviewers reported some movement during cuts. Didn't see any movement as long as I had things very tight. Cut well, throws a lot of water when it starts, but that is to be expected (remember, first timer!). Got to some custom cuts. There is a jig for the fence to help with angles. I found it easier for me to just mark the tile and direct cuts free hand. Not using really big ones - 12x12.

As it is a low sitting unit, I needed to raise it up, so actually had two saw horses I set up outside really close and this straddled them just right. Bungee corded to the horses and I had an elevated base and could move to the side when I needed to spray it out to clean it.

Blade that came with it cut well. Saw a DIY show tip to put painters tape along your cut line and mark the tape. Stops little chips as you get to the end of your cuts. Wish I had seen that before hand.

Cut a number of tiles into 2x4 to make a two level high edging against stucco walls as a border.

All told, 3-4 days of lots of cuts. Blade that shipped with it handled it all. Easy to clean. Do keep eye on making sure you get any rust on blade off (it is running through water). Net, saved a bunch vs having to rent and unfortunately my wife thinks I can now tile, so may be some more jobs in the near future.

Great price, great DIY experience.

Rate and Discover Movies