SKLZ Gold Flex Strength and Tempo Trainer (48 inches)
Size Name: 48 inchesChange
Price:$64.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 24, 2012
Size Name: 48 inches
I tried it out at a golf show and had pretty low expectations about how much it would help my game. I've been losing distance over the years, and my tempo gets too quick at times. When I don't complete my backswing, I get quick and then if my posture breaks down and I stand up, everything can go wrong.

With the SZLZ I've found that you need to wait for the shaft to completely flex before you can start your downswing. This is making me hesitate longer at the top, which fixes my biggest flaw. With the extra weight it's helping me get a bigger turn as well. I'm hitting all my clubs much better, especially the long irons and hybrids. The draw that I used have years ago is coming back, and I'm consistently getting good distance on drives.

I try to take 10 swings a day, and then 10 before I hit balls at the range/tee off - that's it. When you start to swing it right you can really feel your hips rotating and generating extra speed. In every round it seems like you have that "golf epiphany" when you figure out the secret to the golf swing, but it never seems to stick around very long. My swing is getting more locked in and now I have this feeling the entire round.

I've done lessons and been videotaped, and in general my swing is pretty decent (8 index). I don't know if this club will help someone with lots of flaws, but for me it has exceded my expectations.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
I saw the video of this that showed golfers using this to warm up before teeing off. Well, I decided to try it. This is what I thought of it:

Pros:
1. Great for warming up - Instead of just doing stretching, I take this out of my bag and swing this about 20 times to warm up. It does loosen me up specially for the first hole.

2. Great for Lag Training - It naturally gives you that feel of lag, and is starting to show up in my golf swing. It is starting to be more automatic now.

3. Improved my accuracy - My grouping is much tighter now. My swing used to be very erratic, I could cast the club sometimes and really ruin my day, but this has reduced that now.

4. Gives you the feeling of what a proper swing should feel like - Once I got accostomed to the sensation of a proper swing, I am beginning to change my swing to match that. It is a work in progress as I still have a wicked slice that shows up at the worst times, but I have seen my hitting improve.

5. Great tempo trainer - That is the biggest difference with my swing now. I now know what proper tempo is supposed to be. It has improved my swing.

6. Great workout - I use this as a workout. I really try to set aside time to just just swing with this. I do feel that I am stronger and can hit the ball with less effort now.

Cons:

1. Length - This is longer than the standard clubs so give yourself some space and make sure you dont hit anyone.

Summary
It really does what it says it is supposed to do. My swing has improved in tempo, lag and power. I swing it many times a day and is a really good swing coach. I have other swing trainers but this is the one I use the most since lag and tempo are my real weakness.

*****UPDATE June 27, 2013*****
I still use the 48 inch trainer all the time to practice my drives and fairway woods. But, I needed to get a shorter one to simulate my irons and Hybrid. So I bought the 40 inch trainer as well. I tell you that this is really an excellent workout. Not only do you get to improve the tempo and lag of your swing, but you also break a sweat. I only take the 48 inch to the course because my driver is the one that scares me the most and this gives me some confidence before taking the Big Dog out of the bag. I still warm up with this before playing and while we are waiting for the slower flight ahead of us.

My slice is gone from my irons and hybrid thanks to this. My driver is another matter. I still slice about half my drives, down from when I used to slice ALL my drives. It usually happens on holes where I did not have any time to practice with this before driving. My driving distance has improved between 10 to 20 yards as well.

I have other Swing trainers but this is the only one I take with me to the golf course.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2013
Size Name: 40 inchesVerified Purchase
So let me start by saying I was torn between this product and the Orange Whip. I agonized over which one to go with. (I really didn't want to purchase both of them.) I came away very happy with choosing the SKLZ Trainer.

I am a 5 handicap and am writing this review from my perspective.

I have previously sampled the Orange Whip in a local golf store. The counterbalance weight at the end of the whip was an interesting feature. After playing around with it I determined it was more of a tempo device then anything else. Sure it will help you somewhat with your swing plane, all of the tempo trainers will.

I ordered the 40 inch model with a focus towards tightening up those couple of loose iron shots that occur during my rounds. By holding it out at a slight angle, I can simulate swinging with a longer club or swing it normally for iron shots.

The first thing I noticed was the quality of construction. This is a well crafted item that isn't going to just fall apart on you. The ball at the end of the trainer is big enough to not get stuck in your golf bag if you want to take it to the course with you.

Swinging this trainer is great for ingraining proper feel of tempo, swing path, and understanding where the clubhead is during the swing. It's also great for working on things like rotating your arms through impact. It's easy to take smooth swings and feel your body react to it. The weight allow for you to naturally progress with your body moving in the correct sequence on the backswing and downswing.

After working on sections of my swing, I switched to an iron and tested it out...very satisfying. Using this product daily will help you to groove a swing that is desireable, and more importantly, repeatable.

For the price of this product it can't be beat. Take it for what it's worth.

For those that have trouble trying to figure out how to use this product, it's very simple...

1. Start at your normal address position.
2. Waggle the club slightly forward using your hands, arms, and shoulders.
3. Move the club into your backswing.
4. Slight pause at the top to let the ball fully catch up to you.
5. Smoothly swing and feel your weight transfer to your front side as you complete your downswing into a full finish.
6. Rinse and repeat.
on August 1, 2011
Size Name: 48 inches
I was having a hard time with my tempo of my swing, I went to a Golf pro & he recommend the SKLZ Gold Flex, there are other Tempo Golf trainer's , but by far this one is a lot cheaper, and it does the job!!
on December 25, 2012
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
Yes, I have tried both the Gold Flex and the Orange Whip. Now, with that out of the way, the question many of you will be asking before making this purchase will undoubtedly be...Gold Flex or Orange Whip...and I know what you're thinking. Why is the Orange Whip almost twice the cost of the Gold Flex? Can it be twice as good? What does the Orange Whip have that the Gold Flex doesn't? Answer: Nothing. Well, that's not entirely accurate. The Orange Whip does have counter balancing, but that is what I don't like about it. I take the Gold Flex to the range to warm up with. It helps me to smooth out my tempo and sequencing, while it also helps to increase muscle memory. Swing this gem 5 times, then swing your driver. It will feel as light as a feather...which will immediately give you feedback telling that you that you have been swinging your driver way too hard, which throws off your tempo. My driving has been horrendous for months. I couldn't hit a fairway and swinging my hardest produced a mere distance of 250-270. I averaged 4/14 fairways. After literally a week of swinging the Gold Flex, my next round was 9/14 fairways and with a nice smooth driver swing I actually got a ball out to 324 yards according to GPS. I hit a 3 iron about 230 yards, and I usually pull it to hit 180. I'm about a 17 handicap. I expect that to go down drastically next season.

This purchase was definitely not about the money. In all honestly, so what if the Orange Whip is twice the cost. Divide the difference over the lifetime of the item and its use and the extra money seems insignificant. This purchase was about the product, and I believe I made the right choice.
on March 14, 2012
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
This tool will help train your body about swing plane, pausing at the top of the take away and lag on the way down, which helps you to "strike down" on the ball, all of which a PGA instructor would eventually teach you about, but why pay to hear about something, when this thing help teach your body about? It really helps you to begin to feel the bowing of the shafts of your club(s), this sensitivity will only add to your game.

Because it is heavier than your driver it will also strengthen your swinging muscles and no doubt add distance to your drives along with helping with greater flexibility which will carry over to your whole game. Also great for warm up before practice or play.

If you're new, take a lesson and focus exclusively, and I mean exclusively on grip, posture and the initial part of the take away, once you've got this down, use this to get a feel for the rest and start hitting balls at the range. Then go to youtube to learn about hitting the various clubs regarding ball position, also to learn how to fade, draw etc and how to turn correctly, coiling, loading and releasing. If you still need help with your driver, you might consider the SKLZ "refiner pro" device.

There may be some things that training aids cannot teach you, but in my experience they can help save allot of time on lessons, frustration at the range, and get you making better shots on the course. I also like that I am not throwing allot of money at a guy to teach me something, at least this way I have a physical product that I own to show for the money invested. Like I said "YOUTUBE" baby!
on May 16, 2013
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
I'm a single-digit handicap golfer. I've always been able to hit the ball a long way, but struggle with accuracy and consistency. I've been swinging this practice club in my back yard for a few minutes every day for two weeks and I can say I don't recall ever having a more consistent ball flight on the course.

There's nothing wildly interesting about the trainer here. It's heavy, flexible, plastic, and very long. But when you spend some time swinging it the extra weight and extreme shaft flex forces you into a great tempo. If you try to rush your swing (the problem of 99% of amateurs with timing issues) this club makes it feel very noticeably wrong. Most amateurs also make the mistake of swinging too steep. Just because this thing is 48" long it's going to force you into swinging more flat, which should translate well to all your clubs if you use this to practice. If you try to swing without full body/shoulder rotation, this club makes that feel fairly uncomfortable too. When you swing this trainer just right though it feel great. Practice that great feeling swing a few minutes a day and then just try to recreate that feeling on the course.

tldr: It's a very nice simple training club that forces you into a good rhythm and swing plane.
on November 23, 2012
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
At the recommendation of our new club pro, I purchased the Gold Flex to use during the offseason to practice my full swing. I am absolutely amazed with the usefulness of this swing aide. It is excellent for maintaining the tone in the golf muscles,, reinforcing the lag in the downswing and a full follow through. I recommend the Rick Smith video to illustrate the use of the Gold Flex. I will not know until next spring how my swing will benefit, but I fully expect it to be significant. And it will be the ideal way to warm up before a round of golf.
on May 10, 2013
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
You can find a nice tempo with this trainer & it helps you feel your body load on your back swing & release all that energy on the forward swing. The first time I got to the driving range after I had practiced with this trainer was great because I could feel I had loaded my body on the back swing & let it release. Easy to use, you can practice with it in your back yard when you have a few minutes & can't get to driving range, let alone play on the course. Any level of golfer can use it & it will benefit all that do !!!!!! Price is reasonable too.
on May 9, 2013
Size Name: 48 inchesVerified Purchase
Bought this on a lightning deal. Did a few drills during the week and shaved 10 strokes off my round the first time out. It really helps fix your swing tempo, which in turn, fixes a bunch of other flaws in your swing. Must have for amateur golfers.