4.0 out of 5 stars Zip & Hit Durability
Durability seems to be an issue. The cord breaks or unravels much too quickly. The sleeve inside the ball becomes grooved and slows the ball's travel on the cord. A sleeve made of a harder, slicker material would improve both ball speed and reduce cord wear. Possible materials are hardened aluminum, stainless steel (polished), teflon-based plastic or polycarbonate.
Published on July 10, 2006 by G. P. Mann

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't overuse it
Published on April 21, 2007 by F. Buchanan

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't overuse it, April 21, 2007
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
My son hit .515 as an 8 year old last year. This year, he moved up a division and has struggled at around .250, even though he has a fairly nice swing. Using this device for two weeks, he suddenly can't hit anything. I pitched him hardballs today and he swung over the top of every one of the first 60! The problem with this device is that the ball doesn't drop like a pitched ball, so it actually trains them to swing higher than normal. I'll be putting this away for the season and trying to recover my son's swing and confidence. Don't get me wrong, the kids love it. The entire team lines up before every game and begs you to throw fastballs with it. It's great for use around the house - just tie it to a tree and you can take swings that you couldn't otherwise. Beware if you intend to use this for much more than casual practice and don't let it replace live pitching. Fun-factor is a 5, but as far as a training device, I have to question its value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zip & Hit Durability, July 10, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for odd reasons, April 23, 2008
Robert D. Wilson (Augusta, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
The team my 9-year-old boy is on uses these in practice and will even take some swings on them during the games. His coach also uses them with his 13 year olds team. Not saying the zip and hit is the reason why, but my boy's team has only lost 1 game in over 3 years of baseball, including fall ball. So it's not a bad team, and they use it quite extensively.

At home we have the Hit-Away baseball mounted to a pole and it works great. But, I can't really take it with us. So, we picked up the zip and hit. Now, when the wife goes in the grocery store, we park far enough out for me and the boy to attach it to the back of the vehicle and take some swings in the parking lot. When we go to a Red's game or a Florence Freedom game, it's a big hit in the parking lot there as well. I coach 3 soccer teams year round and the boy and me can squeeze some hitting in between games.

So just for the portability alone, this thing gets 5 stars in my book.

Also, about the review stating his kid now swings over the ball because it doesn't drop like real pitches would. You can make it drop using several different techniques that are described in the directions that come with it. After you get his confidence back up, you might be able to give it another try.

2.0 out of 5 stars Original was great, the newer version has bad quality and quality control, April 19, 2012
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
I've been using the Hit N Zip Pro for years with my son and we typically go through about 1 every year, year and a half. Eventually, the grommet on either side of the ball pops out and the ball starts cracking or we wear out the nylon strings, including the extra pair that is packaged. I was fully fine with the life span, especially considering that you're hitting the Cr@# out of a piece of plastic.

Before practice and before games, we would use this for my son and his batting greatly improved. We occasionally would use it at home, attaching it to our basketball pole. Where this really helped was in improving my son's stance and swing as I could "pitch" to him, yet still watch his swing and stance without the fear of getting pegged by the baseball coming off of the bat. Once you begin using it, you'll get to know the sounds and the zip of the ball to know what type of hit was produced and if good bat contact was made. Best of all, I didn't have to worry about getting hit and didn't have to chase any baseballs hit all over the field. The last big plus for this was that it neatly fit into the baseball bag and wasn't yet another big thing to carry to the fields. The bag alone is big and heavy enough with all the gear.

HOWEVER, The original product, without the SKLZ name all over the place and had the red and black lettering on the bag and I believe it was the "Derek Jeter Version", was made with better quality control. The newer version with the yellow lettering appears to be made with less quality and less quality control. Our last unit lasted for about 3 weeks before the first string broke. I then replaced the string with extra one that comes in the box and that lasted another month or so. This past week, I just bought a new one and immediately noticed that the attached string appeared to be greatly shorter than in previous units I had. Also, the padding inside the hand grips would not stay stuck in place; they immediately began falling off when the ball was being hit...the glue was not sticking at all. This results in having the inside of the handles hit your knuckles when the ball comes zipping back from a hit. Lastly, 5 hits in, the string broke!!! We went back to the store, exchanged the unit (especially since it appeared to have a very short string) and took out the new unit a few days later at practice. This time, we noticed that the string was unusually long...too long!!! With this length, it was very difficult to zip the ball as a fast pitch. However, we tried and the clip that holds the strings to the strap that attaches to pole would just keep coming off. Being plastic, there wasn't much we could bend or adjust on it. I simply returned the unit!

I honestly believe that these new versions have some serious quality and quality control issues. I will hunt around the net to see if I can find the original again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zip N Hit Works Teams Hit over 0.400, February 8, 2007
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
I got great results coaching 2 teams last season in 2006 using the Zip N Hit as a training aid in addition to live Batting Practice. We would work it into our routine for pre-game drills and starting practice drills. With every player maybe getting another 20-25 swings at a moving ball at each practice and pre-game session, over a season it adds up to 200-300 extra swings that you can't get from live BP (which takes too long, you must retrieve balls). Both of my teams last year batted as a team over 0.400 in both Bronco and Pony. I had several players bat over 0.500 and 0.600, too. It also helped them develop a level swing which improves the Batting average, and become better situational hitters. Other opposing teams also began copying us. Perfect for pre-game warmups where you aren't allowed live BP, i.e. regular games, tournament games. Our league is now buying one kit for every team in our league as basic equipment. The players can even help drill themselves.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Rope frayed, December 6, 2012
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
Wife and 12 year-old grandsons not strong enough. Son-in-law (personal trainer) was able to use it. The ropes frayed after the first use. After the second use - unusable!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Feb 9, 2013 6:52:26 PM PST
Tim Clark says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Michael,

Sorry about your inconvenience. Go ahead and give me a call at the number below so we can talk further about this damaged item and so that I can get a new one out to you.

Thanks,

Tim
877-225-7275

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, needs a little tweaking, September 27, 2011
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
My 6 year old is learning to bat and I bought this thinking it would help. Instead of him improving his swing, he's more likely to not swing through due to the bat getting caught up in the rope. I gave this a 4 star rating not because of my son's inability to bat right, but rather because in the 2 times we've used this (50 minutes total) the plastic clip that holds the line inside the handle no longer stays clipped in. This doesn't seriously affect it's usefulness, but sometimes it goes riding down the line with the ball. My biggest complaint with it is the type of plastic that the handles are made of. If you are sensitive/allergic to some plastics this may be a problem for you also. After 10 minutes of holding the handles my hands are itchy and red.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, but a quality a little iffy, March 28, 2008
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
I bought this for my son when he was 9 years old. We attach it to the baseketball hoop and go to town! It REALLY helps warm up the swing and hand/eye coordination. The cord can fray pretty easily, we replaced ours after about a year. Comes with a second cord though.

I can't pitch to save my life so this was a huge help to me. And I didn't have to run after the ball when it was hit.

This also helped my son from dropping his back shoulder too much. If he swings below the string he knows he's dropped his shoulder.

The only thing I don't like... You really have to hold the string TIGHT so that your knuckles don't get smacked with the ball. That's a little bit of a problem for my little ones to use it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for beginning batters to get some basic skills down., May 24, 2014
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
First, this does not replace live pitching and hand toss skills! I have coached 4 seasons of farm little league and have had great results with this. I use this for specific skills improvement and it allows me to focus on just the player and their technique.
What I do:
1. Have the batter in the batting stance and have them watch the ball without hitting it. I have the batter watch
me send the ball down the line at different speeds. This allows me to focus on just watching their stance and where their eye are looking, head placement and if their head also tracks the ball.
2. Next, I have the batter focus on trying to swing the bat and stop the bat on the line just as the ball gets to them. This provides them instant eye hand results. This shows if they swing early or late.
3. We work on adjusting the swing to meet the ball. I raise and lower my end of the line and the batter has to barely hit the top side of the line. I do this without sending the ball down the line! If they routinely go under then their swing needs to be adjusted.
4. We put it all together. I have the batter swing at different levels and different speeds. Don't forget to have them "squish the bug" with their back foot.

This process routinely gets beginning kids that never hit at the plate to hitting 50-75%.

As for the trainer, I spent $20.00 on Amazon and it has held up for over 3 years on the original line. Again, I use this for a beginner to get skills down or when a player starts having timing issues. I do not use this for routine pratice. It packs up small and is about the size of a baseball glove when in it's bag so it fits in a bat bag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, December 21, 2013
This review is from: SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer (Sports)
The "ball" bounces along the rope no matter how hard you pull back. Was falling apart after the first 10 pitches.

SKLZ Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer