4.0 out of 5 stars Great compression socks
Published on March 14, 2012 by Keira Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars too tight at top
Maybe if I had smaller calf these would work but halfway through my 12h shift, I had to take them off as they were cutting in below my knee.
Published 22 months ago by Marilyn R

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compression socks, March 14, 2012
This review is from: SLS3 Women's Butterfly Compression Socks (Apparel)
I run 20mi+ a week, and wear compression socks/stockings not only for my runs, but even for a long walks as my veins have never been in a good shape. I have these socks in blue, and the butterflies are as cool as you'd expect from the picture, especially after those boring medical stockings. They wash well, dry reasonably fast, you can't put compression stuff in a dryer, it will decrease its compression abilities.

As far as the compression quality goes, I doubt these SLS3 are true 20-30 mmHg, because my compression stockings and CEP running socks are a little tighter around the ankle -- the difference is not huge though, maybe these are ~22-24 mmHg? I am not an expert in this by any stretch of imagination, just trying to say that they are tight and make running and recovery more comfortable, but not as tight as 20-30 mmHg medical stockings...

Also, these socks are the same for both legs and don't have a padded sole, which, I assume, means they don't have a built-in blister protection like many other running socks do. I never actually get blisters from running and thus see absolutely no difference between the SLS3 and the CEP in this regard, so can't comment on this, but I can see how the lack of padding may affect someone else's decision.

You should choose the size of the socks based on your shoe size, and for your reference you can check the SLS3 website, it has a sizing chart that shows calf sizes as well. For example, Women's 8-10 (or Men's 7-9, or S/M) corresponds to 5'4"-5'9" in height and 12.5"-15" in calf size.

Oh, and if you're new to compression socks, spend a minute watching a video on youtube or elsewhere how to put your compression socks on, it'll help a lot.

Overall, I'm happy with these compression socks and I'll be running my half-marathon in them (ah... the butterflies!), but the difference in compression between these and my other compression socks doesn't seem right to me, thus only four and almost a half stars. I know, it's too subjective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink butterfly compression socks for running., October 10, 2011
Love these compression socks. I started with compression sleeves for shin splints but they looked like old lady hospital socks. Thsee really help me with stability and recovery and they just feel good. Plus they are cute as heck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like at first, but LOVE them now, August 9, 2013
When I first got these socks I could not even get them over my foot. They were so tight! I have compression sleeves and I love them, so I know what they usually feel like, and I wanted to try the socks. I am between sizes and just figured I guessed wrong by ordering the smaller ones. I mean, look at the picture; that woman has no calves!! So clearly I should have gone to the larger size. HOWEVER, never owning compression socks, I searched for a video on how to put them on and that certainly helped a ton. After finally getting them on, I still thought they were WAY too tight, but after wearing them for an entire morning they finally stretched out and now I love them. They are a little long if you really wrench on them (I read another reviewer pulled them up to mid-thigh; don't do that). So, don't yank them up as high as possible and if they're too tight, just stick with them and you might love them like I do after all!

3.0 out of 5 stars too tight at top, March 31, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for recovery, October 20, 2012
These compression socks are so comfortable and fabulous for recovery. I don't recommend wearing them while running as the top band can cut into the back of the knee (particularly if you're short). I am 5'4" and can easily pull these socks above my knee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my socks, October 26, 2012
Bought these for my shin splints and so far they are really helping with my recovery. I have ordered two more pairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the $$ and I'm pretty thrifty!, September 5, 2012
unowhoandwhy "unowhoandwhy" (New Hampshire, United States) - See all my reviews
I was hesitant to spend so much money on a pair of socks, but friends of mine who are runners recommended trying compression socks and I am so glad I did. I didn't experience any of the foot/shin/knee issues that I usually do when I run more than a mile and at the end of a 5 mile run I still felt good. I would definitely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel sooo good!, June 7, 2013
I recently kicked up the intensity of my workouts and I was experiencing fatigue in my calves. After reading about compression socks I thought I'd give these a try. I now have two pairs! They feel so good before, during and after a workout! It's amazing the difference they make to how my calves feel when they start getting tight. Plus, they are super cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Problems with DVT and recover from exercise, October 5, 2012
Properly constructed compression socks are a necessity for travellers who spend a lot of time in the sky. They are also wonderful as a recovery device after stgrenous exercise. After running or cycling they will make your recovery shorter and more pleasant. The oxygen transfer rates are significantly improved. Go for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had a hole within hours, August 5, 2013
I was very excited to get these socks, as after reading previous reviews, I was certain they'd be worth every penny. I've been having some leg issues including shin splints and soreness in my calves. When the package arrived, I pulled them out and was ready to put them on immediately. I loved the bright pink color and felt relief in my legs almost instantly! However, a mere THREE HOURS after I put them on, I had a hole in the toe. I did not run with them on, I didn't even have shoes on. I was just wearing them around my house. I might expect this from a cheap pair of nylons, but not socks that I spent over $40 on. These were put back in the package almost as quickly as they came out.

SLS3 Women's Butterfly Compression Socks