Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

SNEAK PEEK Review: The first chapter of Radical

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2010 11:20:48 PM PDT
Brian Chang says:
Wow. I've only read one chapter of this book but clenching my fists and breathing warm air through them is all I can do to keep myself from falling to the ground because of the overbearing burden of conviction. I needed this chapter as a reminder of what I used to believe and live out but had succumbed to the comforts of life.

David Platt calls believers to be radical. No. Rather, Platt makes clear that it is Jesus who calls his followers to be radical. Jesus was radical. In the midst of a culture that is quickly fabricating a convenient image of Jesus, Platt is calling us back to a right view of our biblical Savior. Platt writes, "We are giving in to the dangerous temptation to take the Jesus of the Bible and twist him into a version of Jesus we are more comfortable with." Have we indeed forgotten the Jesus of the Bible? This is my fear, and I'm glad that Platt has decided to take up the issue.

Writing a direct commentary on American Christianity, Platt is courageous in writing this book in the midst of a "me-first," mega church culture. But his audience is more than just those who are fickle Sunday Christians, he's talking to every believer who doesn't live all out, radical lives for Christ. I love what Platt says: "We need to return with urgency to a biblical gospel, because the cost of not doing so is great for our lives, our families, our churches, and the world around us." Though I've only started this book, I'm excited to finish the rest of the book. I'm sure it will challenge me to re-devote my life and mind to following the true Jesus Christ.

bc

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 7:12:16 AM PDT
Ferree Hardy says:
My response to the first chapter is "LONG OVERDUE!" This is Christianity 101 and yet we have to package it as "Radical" to get anyone's attention! Looks like a good shake-up wake-up call, and I'm passing it on, not passing on it.

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 11:07:02 AM PDT
I just read the first chapter of Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream by David Platt as part of a sneak preview program from Multnomah Press. I don't normally do book promotion or even reviews without the publisher providing a free copy but the title of this one captured my imagination. I have long wondered why God chose to have my spiritual journey happen in the United States, the wealthiest nation in the world. I can only surmise that any American Christian is called to be a giver. Why else would God surround us with wealth in a world where the disparity between us and the rest of the world is so daunting?

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 1:49:35 PM PDT
L. Perez says:
As a participant in the WaterBrook Multnomah Press book blogger group, I recently received an email promoting a new book, called Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream, by David Platt. I was invited to go check out the first chapter of the book, and post my thoughts on it.
I found the first chapter to be pretty thought provoking. The premise of the book is that so many of us have rationalized away the direct instructions Jesus gave us. When Jesus said to sell all you have and give the proceeds to the poor, he meant that in the literal sense. ALL you have. Eek. How many of us are really willing to do that? How many of our churches are willing to forgo a fancy building and other amenities, in order directly minister to those in need?
It's fairly easy to be a Christian in America. Our lives aren't in danger, and neither are our livelihoods. What if they were? Would we still be willing to abandon our homes, our possessions, our families? Isn't that what Jesus explicitly told us to do?
I think this book would be good reading for anyone who is feeling a disconnect between what Christianity is supposed to look like, and what it really looks like, in this day and age.
If you want to find out more about the book, you can visit www.radicalthebook.com, or you can request the Free companion booklet here: www.WaterBrookMultnomah.com/RadicalQuestion .
Thanks to the publisher for a head's up on an interesting book, but please know that I was in no way compensated for this review, and the opinions stated are my own.

Posted on May 1, 2010 12:06:12 AM PDT
I was invited by the publisher to a 'sneak peek' at the first chapter of this book .......

It has left me wanting more!

Yet, it is a little scary - the way a new experience is scary. The knowledge that the 'new experience' will not be easy or comfortable, the anticipation of adventure and the expected reward of accomplishment is all there .....because I do not think I will be able to read this book without being impacted by the challenge. It won't be enough to just read it, I'm sure.

The message and the challenge in 'Radical' is one that the North American church needs to hear - and respond to.

I was convicted and humbled at the anecdote of the teenagers in Asia who were preparing to go out to preach the gospel.....their parents knew they would likely never see their children again. They all knew these young people would probably give their lives in preaching the gospel. Yet, even that sacrifice was not too much to give because Jesus is worthy of ALL their devotion. I've been kicking about my daughter and her family going to Zambia to bring hope to the poor of Lusaka. They are not likely to lose their lives and I will be able to communicate daily with them via internet. Compared to the parents of these Asian teens, I've been asked to give little. Yet, the Jesus I purport to serve is the same Jesus being deemed worthy of these Asian parents' children.

Am I REALLY ready to follow Jesus?

If the rest of the book is as challenging as the first chapter, I expect to be spending alot of time repenting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2010
Latest post:  May 1, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about