Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on December 19, 2005
I was a college student in the late 1970's, and back then, every dorm room and frat house on campus settled down at 11:30 on Saturday nights, so that everyone could gather 'round the tube to watch the original SNL. Man was that show funny, especially John Belushi.

This DVD does an admirable but insufficient job of conveying Belushi's comic genius. A few of the sketches, such as Cheeseburger, haven't withstood the test of time, and left me wondering why I thought he was so funny. But then he really shines on others, such as Samurai Night Fever, Godfather Vito Corleone in therapy, and his Joe Cocker rendition of "With A Little Help From My Friends," which is so dead-on that on one episode of SNL (NOT the version on this disc) Joe himself comes out on stage in the middle of Belushi's performance, to the astonishment of the audience who thought Joe was already the one performing. But the skit that still has me laughing out loud every time I see it is Belushi's impersonation of Elizabeth Taylor choking on chicken in the middle of an interview. I know it's morbid, but it's oddly sublime, and no other comic could have pulled it off. In fact, no other comic would have even attempted it, and that's what made Belushi one-of-a-kind.

The main reason I'm giving this DVD only four stars is because the run time is a scant 78 minutes, and surely the SNL archives hold enough Belushi gems that they could have put out two or three hours worth. Nevertheless, this is as close as you can get to seeing Belushi in his prime.
on January 16, 2007
I only saw one reviewer mention the VHS but, for some reason they failed to mention the following....the DVD is incomplete!!!

Like some of the other reviewers, I was really looking forward to this being released on DVD. I bought the VHS way back in 1983(so old it's in mono!!!) and was greatly looking forward to hearing the musical performances in 5.1!

But....lo & behold... this isn't the entire VHS that was originally released!!! And among the missing parts is THE major reason I was looking forward to the DVD - the single greatest Blues Brothers performance (in my opinion)....B Movie Boxcar Blues!!! I was so disgusted that I have yet to do a skit by skit comparison so am not sure what else is missing but I am certain some comedy skits are missing as well.

I also soon realized that there are many new skits as well and one of them is the Samurai Night Fever skit with OJ Simpson. Since this wasn't on the original VHS it can only be an editing decision made after the OJ fiasco. As another reviewer noted, we definitely could have done without this skit and I hope OJ didn't get any proceeds from its addition. In fact the only reason I can think of for its inclusion is the demand for more Samurai skits. But they could have picked from many others, the 2 skits with Frank Zappa conducting his band & The Samurai musician are both priceless and rarely aired.

Also, I agree with the reviewer who stated there are better Joe Cocker skits too. In addition to the one mentioned with Joe himself, there is also a hilarious skit with Belushi doing his impersonation along side a female singer (I forget who....Ann Margaret?) and she ends up laughing so hard she can't finish the song!!

Bottom line....if you are a fan of Belushi by all means get this!! I only wish it contained ALL the material from the VHS. I guess I'll have to wait on the appropriate season DVD box set (or get the Blues Brothers DVD) to get my beloved B Movie Boxcar Blues in 5.1 hi-fi!!
77 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2005
I have been waiting a long time for this to come out on dvd. I own the best of on video. It is a must for Belushi fans! All the bits are great and I love that they show the complete Star Trek, Blues Brothers and Joe Cocker bits. The old video skipped a bunch of stuff from the Star Trek sketch, and also the end of the Joe Cocker song where Belushi lays down on the floor and drinks down the beer from the can and then spits it back into the air. Just wondering why they only have 2 of 3 Beethoven sketches on the dvd. There were three on the show back in November of 1975 with Belushi doing The Temptations (My Girl). I would also loved to have scene The Honeymooners bit when they dress up in the bee costumes. But anyway getting back to the good stuff I am so happy that they put the Samurai Night Fever sketch on the dvd. Can you believe OJ Simpson is in that? The dvd closes with the King Bee song which I can watch 100 times. I love when Belushi does the cartwheel and tumbles. The Extras are also great with the screen test and the Today show interview with his pal Dan Ackroyd. Go out and get this dvd!
on July 22, 2005
if this is the same as the video tape that came out a long time ago, we are in for a treat! my dad was a huge belushi fan, and converted me at the age of 10. the samurai, and jake blues have been ingrained into me for 20 years. that might explain alot...... anyhoo... of all the snl dvd's (outside of the eddie murphy one from the late 80's) this is the one to get.
on September 7, 2005
this dvd is awesome! john belushi is one of my favorite comedians and im happy they finally made this on dvd. this dvd is a good mix of all his good stuff. this is definetly a must have for any belushi fans or snl fans in general. even though it doesnt say it on amazon, the dvd also has a lot of special features like his original audition, and inside look.
on August 9, 2013
I will never forget watching the very first SNL broadcast, essentially ""by accident". If you want to pick up on the attitude and edgyness of the time...get this "Best of John Belushi" DVD. He was unpredictable and uncanny. What would he do next? A special and complicated talent. These SNL "Best of's" are lots of fun and have a knack for showcasing the moments that had the most bang for the buck. Samurai, Joe Cocker (hilarious over the top Belushi moment, but I'd forgotten how well John SINGS the part!), SNL Update Commentaries, a priceless full performance by the Blues Brothers, and much more. For me, though, the most important parts of this DVD are the incredible extras, including John's screen test (Brando, etc.), and an appearance with Dan Aykroyd on the Today Show (early 80's) which is one of the more compelling insights into Belushi's off screen personality, and some obvious discomfort in that setting (being interviewed), so Dan takes charge. There is also a great and frank "tribute/discussion" with John's wife and SNL team members. I think you'll find it illuminating. (Interesting side-bar: The photo of John Belushi on the cover of the DVD I received is different than the one shown here at Amazon.).
on February 24, 2013
There's hardly anything to this! I expected many more clips from his time on SNL. I feel like I watched an advertisement for the real thing - seriously, this is all there is? John Belushi was the best, but this DVD is a joke.
on February 19, 2016
One of the best Saturday Night Live actors ever! Most people remember him from the movie The Blues Brothers and they will tell you that he is one of their favorite comedians of all time! Belushi was known to be a bad boy doing it his own way but the producers knew that is what makes them money. His impressions of Samurai, Marlon Brando, and Joe Cocker are just a few incredibly good comedy sketches from this expert. This DVD also has bonus sketches and interviews never before seen. How about the very first SNL sketch ever aired? GOT IT. A MUST HAVE.
on March 2, 2006
With all the stuff on SNL already released, I always wondered WHY they hadn't released the original cast members, like Belushi, Aykroyd, and others, BEFORE the latter ones.

Now, I hope, they will release SEASON BY SEASON?

And start with the best ones, first, please.... THE FIRST ONES.

I remember buying this edition on video in the 80's and enjoying watching it over and over.

When DVD's came out, I waited and waited for this one.

I am glad they fianlly decided to release it

Thanks and please release the complete seasons now! (starting with the first one, not the last one)

Thanks! Enjoy the DVD!
on March 2, 2015
REMINDS ME OF MY LATE 20"S WHEN I LIVED IN PARK CITY, UTAH. YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW THIS TID BIT...BACK IN 1980, UNLESS.....
YOU HAD CABLE OR WENT TO THE BARS TO WATCH "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" YOU WERE NOT ABLE TO VIEW IT ON REGULAR TV...IN
UTAH! NO PROBLEM IN ILLINOIS OR OTHER STATES. GO FIGURE!