5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon makes this a best buy with its pricing
Very high quality; well balanced handling; solid feel and construction; VERY, VERY sharp right out of the box. Sheath is tightly sewn and has an attached pouch that makes for a very good gun clip holder. Knife will not bust through the sheath. I haven't seen this knife for less than $75 in my local retail stores that sell SOG products. Great for adventure camping.
Published on December 5, 2009 by Jason D. Elgin

1.0 out of 5 stars Great prop, horrible knife.
Published on December 31, 2010 by Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon makes this a best buy with its pricing, December 5, 2009
This review is from: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F03T-N Jungle Primitive, Black Hardcased (Tools & Hardware)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, August 6, 2010
J. Oksa (Elmira Heights, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great knife first and foremost, for hiking, camping, working in the woods, frightening your neighbors to death, whatever it works well. The steel is a little soft so it will need sharpening very often, carry a touch up stone. It came with a modest angle (too wide) about 30 degrees, which I changed to 25 degrees, which suits me better - so after changing the angle of the edge, it's all good.

This thing is tough as nails, light enough to assist in cutting a path to where ever you are going. I wouldn't want to chop down trees with it, but that is why I carry a small ax too. When used as designed for light brush clearing, and perhaps making your kindling for your fire this is the only tool you'll need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to defend myself from cannibals while on a trek in the Heart of Darkness, August 17, 2012
I was recently appointed captain of a steamboat making its way up the Congo River on behalf of the Company. We had enlisted some chaps on the way for a crew. Fine fellows--cannibals--in their place. They were men one could work with, and I am grateful to them. And, after all, they did not eat each other before my face: they had brought along a provision of hippo-meat which went rotten, and made the mystery of the wilderness stink in my nostrils. Phoo! I can sniff it now. One night though, unexpectedly, they surrounded me, clamoring for attention and grunting unintelligibly. Had I not brandished my SOG Jungle Primitive, I'm sure they would have made off with one of my arms or legs, and gnawed on it incessantly.

The above paragraph is a lie and a partial blatant ripoff of Joseph Conrad. In reality, I carry this knife everywhere I go in my vehicle, just in case I need a big knife. So far, it has only come in handy on camping trips, where it does an admirable job of clearing my tent site of stray growth. It's handy for sawing small branches, and slicing through ropes, etc...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value/Feature Ratio. Buy it, beat it up, use it!, July 1, 2011
R. Ochoa (Fountain Hills, Az) - See all my reviews
Despite its shortcomings, I have to highly recommend it. Razor sharp out of the box it is up to the task or clearing, chopping and hammering. I love the hammer/pummel. It is very effective for driving tent stakes. The saw teeth have a fundamental design flaw that requires you to rotate your object as you saw to prevent the teeth from bottoming out on the blade at which point it stops sawing.

Shortcomings:
- Thin blade in contrast with most blades in it's size category (Gerber LMFII is much thicker)
- Saw design flaw I mentioned above
- Digi Grip handle is adequate but better if cord wrapped (I posted a pict of before and after)
- Sheath is adequate but not top notch
- Fusion is a low end SOG line (again adequate for most situations)
- Has a unique balance just above the hilt (good for chopping but slightly awkward)

No one can expect a better value for $34.49 + Prime shipping ($0). I was looking at Ka-Bar, Gerber, SOG Seal Team/Seal Pup alternatives and just could not pass up the price feature ratio on this knife. I also have a Gerber Prodigy/LMFII as a primary. I use the Jungle Primitive more for camping, long 3 day hikes, etc. Overall a great buy! You will love it as a addition to your collection and won't be scared to get out in the woods and baton wood with it. Buy it, beat it up, use it. 2Manchu! Keep up the fire.

SGT O. 2/9 INF 7 ID Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Tweener, April 25, 2013
Yes, this really is a knife/machete. Longer and thinner than your typical survival knife and shorter and wider than your typical machete. Look at the specs. SOG offers a 13", .08 wide machete. Their Seal Team Elite is 7" and .24 wide. This thing is 9.5" long and .15" wide. Definitely a tweener.

Steel. Yes, thinner than a typical survival blade. Definitely a sense that if you are battoning logs or chopping saplings it might fail. I have some other SOG knives and you can definitely tell quality is a step down--but hey, this was a $25 buy on an Amazon sale so what do you expect.

Finish. It "looks awesome" and if someone is coming at you with this thing you are definitely not going to take your chances. The serrations are pretty good and blade is sharp, but not sure the saw is going to work too well.

Handle. Uh--look at the SOG machete. Better than a really cheapo plastic, but they definitely save money on the handle. It does have some checkering and its got holes for a lanyard, which I would definitely use. But again, its $25, what can you expect. I do like the pommel on the end for light striking duties and maybe some digging.

Sheath. Again, a tweener. Nicer than a machete sheath and dig the accessory pouch for a sharpening stone or multitool. Appears decently made. BUT, still looks cheaper than more expensive knife sheaths.

Why 5 stars? When you accept this knife for what it is--its great and I think an excellent purchase for $25.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Camping Knife!, November 3, 2009
This knife has an outstanding feel in the hand. I brought it with me camping and it easily cut through small branches and greatly assisted me in gathering wood for a fire. The saw on the back of the knife came in quite handy for bigger limbs and as a bonus - it has a pouch on the front of the sheath for a smaller knife. Overall, this is a great product and very durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife, April 17, 2011
I took the knife with me into the wilderness on a survival course. Throughout the day we did a lot of cutting and chopping. It held up like a champ. I would not hesitate to take it with me into any survival situation. The only thing I would recommend is to wrap the handle in 550 cord. The handle is a little thin for my hands and the cord gives me a better grip and helps absorb the impact of chopping. Otherwise, I love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great prop, horrible knife., December 31, 2010
This knife looks very cool and mean and I think it was a smart move by the SOG marketing team. Would make a great prop in a Rambo movie or something similar. But for anyone who knows even a little about steel and knives in general, this piece is plain JUNK. The steel is horrible and is as cheap and low quality as you can find. The blade is thin and very easily damaged/broken. The balance is also bad. This is not a useful knife at all in that it loses it's edge just by looking at it and the light-weight flexible blade is horrible for trying to chop anything. The saw-teeth on the back are also useless in that you can't actually saw anything with them.

Don't get me wrong with this review... I'm a big SOG fan and own several of their products. (Trident, Seal Team). But the knives I own and like are made much better with much better materials. The Jungle Primitive is just plain junk and should be avoided like the plague by any real knife owners looking for a useful blade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just because it's a SOG does not mean quality!, August 27, 2011
Tip bent within the first few strikes on a branch!
Not intended for serious use IE: camping or "THE JUNGLE".
I will be getting a KBAR for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I thought, August 20, 2010
First off the knife I received looks a little different than the picture. The handle has a smoother more contoured look and feel, not "plasticy" at all. It is a solid hard rubber-like material that is securely bonded to the tang that passes through and out the back to the pommel. The serrations are almost twice as long near the base as the picture, and the tip of the blade extends a little further. The lettering on the side of the blade is less prominent than the large, bright ones pictured. My guess is the picture was an early model that's been improved on. It is exactly what it's described to be, a "Fusion" of a machete, survival knife, limb saw, and hammer. Of course it's too big to gut a small fish or clean your toe nails, but the extra pocket on the sheath is perfect to carry a small folder. I was also able to fit a Smiths combo sharpener in there as well. It's light but solid and it's a SOG! I'm glad they came out with a more affordable line of products, we all can't afford $200 knives! Anyway, I'm keeping this knife right next to my 72 hour survival pack. I may never use it but I'm glad to have it for the next "Big one" whatever that may be.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F03T-N Jungle Primitive, Black Hardcased