5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife!
I bought this for my wife (of 25 years), who'd never carried a knife before and she loves it. I was surprised how pleased she was with it. She now carries it daily and tells me how amazing it is and how she now wouldn't do without it, particularly at work (IT office).

Published on March 11, 2010 by Mike

1.0 out of 5 stars A tool is only good if it works as intended
This is neither my first review for Amazon nor my first SOG knife purchased through them. Typically I tend to write reviews if an item is notable, either for good or ill. Such is the case with this knife.

The Pro: The quality of the edge on the knife and blade itself is of more than admirable.

The Con: The action of knife when deployed is a bit...
Published on April 25, 2012 by Caveat Emptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife!, March 11, 2010
Mike (Douglas, AK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools SOGAC77 Access Card 2.0 Knife with Straight Edge Folding 2.75-Inch VG10 Steel Blade and Stainless Steel Handle, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)

I sharpen it for her. That is, I will sharpen it for her when it becomes dull. In the six months she's been using it all I've had to do is strop it twice as it became, not dull, but less sharp. (I strop in lieu of honing, it's more precise and satisfying.) That's speaks well for the blade steel. I've also lubed it once with some dry lube.

I like the knife myself, and have been thinking about getting one for myself. If you're considering this knife for yourself then the light weight, the pleasing opening mechanism, the extremely sharp blade, the quite nice feel in the hand and the overall excellent quality might sway you in it's favor. It is of course meant for light duty, not chopping and banging or prying, but if you don't do any of those things then this knife should serve you well.

As a last word I'll mention that the shape of the blade is just about perfect and would be good even in a lesser steel. (VG-10 was developed in Japan for grafting, ie to make smooth cuts in saplings, and is a fine steel for small blades.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp! Super thin! A great daily carry., December 16, 2009
I bought this knife to use casually at the office and for minor daily needs. I couldn't be more pleased with its performance. Very sharp and takes up hardly any space in your pocket. I also love what sog has done with the locking mech.very user friendly. Small yet substantial, user friendly, and effective = one satisfied customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars A tool is only good if it works as intended, April 25, 2012

The Con: The action of knife when deployed is a bit loose even mushy (perhaps inevitable given they appeared to be going for the lightest possible folding blade). The cutouts in the design don't appear to be so much utilitarian as arbitrary and only subtract weight at the expense of greater grip comfort and structural integrity (that value however I leave to individual tastes).

The Epic Fail: On balance the high price for the small knife is acceptable given its quality of steel and edge, but that is only so because of the unconditional lifetime guarantee which allegedly accompanies it. While until now I had never had occasion to call upon their warranty, despite having spent several hundred dollars on their products in the recent past as gifts for others, when the integral, though inexpensive part of this particular knife, the clip, broke the day I received the knife-- the response to repeated communications over nearly a couple of months now has met with only a deafening silence from them. As far as I can tell their guarantee is completely worthless since apparently they neither acknowledge nor respond to repeated official requests on their site and emails. Perhaps it is my own prejudice against bad customer service, but for my part I will never spend a dime on one of their products again and will be outspoken to anyone who cares to ask about selecting any one of a half dozen competitors over SOG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous little knife.., April 6, 2011
This is pretty much the perfect EDC knife. No, you're not going to be able to chop down a tree with it, pry with it or work it all that hard without consequences. I've had mine for about a month, using it for opening letters, boxes and other 'every day' cutting tasks. If you're buying a knife to use for more than that, you need to buy MORE knife. This little guy is meant to disappear into a pocket, making you forget you even have a knife until a situation requiring one pops up. The profile is EXTREMELY thin, even with the pocket clip. The pocket clip can be removed in order to make the knife even more thin, but I have not found a need to do this. The clip is very secure. I have a habit of reaching down every once in a while just to make sure my knives haven't fallen off, simply because I'm used to owning knives with inferior pocket clips. This one has never even budged.

Although the knife is clearly not meant for heavy duty work, it in no way feels cheaply made or fragile. The skeletonized handles are firm and the screws are secure. While you'd be sacrificing longevity, I'm sure that this knife could stand up to a few hard work sessions in a pinch.

The blade is high quality VG-10 steel from Seki, Japan. It is a 'super steel' with many fine qualities, including the ability to take and hold a razor sharp edge. Your results may vary, but mine came WICKED sharp right out of the box. Through a month of use, it could probably use a touch up but is nearly as sharp as it was the day I got it.

The arc lock system is good, although it is the reason I'm only giving the knife four stars. I wouldn't say I've abused the knife much at all since getting it, and still a VERY small amount of blade play (horizontal) has developed. Honestly, you don't notice it unless you go looking for it.. and as I said it is a very small amount. It probably isn't worth dropping the rating a full star but a 4.5 wasn't available. This might just be due to the lock itself adjusting during use. One of these days I intend to take the knife apart and snoop around a bit and if it is something that can be manually corrected I'll definitely update the review to 5 stars.

All in all a great knife that has gotten several nice compliments from friends of mine. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a thin, low profile, lightweight knife for EDC.

Edit : Updating to 5 stars because I toyed with the torx screws holding the knife together and a couple of them were slightly loose, causing the bit of blade play that I mentioned. The knife is now back to being a rock solid lock up (well, as solid as a knife this small and lightweight can be anyway!)

5.0 out of 5 stars great for women, too, September 28, 2010
Except when I take a trip out of town (and the only way to get out of town here is to fly), this knife has been clipped to the inside of my pocket (jeans, usually) since I got it. It was a present that I didn't really want and didn't think I'd need (I had asked for a pair of scissors) but wow, I find uses for it all the time and would replace it in a heartbeat. Its discreet, doesn't take up much room, yet "feels right" when its in my hand, and slices through things with ease. Cutting things has become a pleasure.

Obviously, I already knew I liked it but a friend, who I found out makes knives as one of his hobbies, used it this past 4th of July to cut up vegetables at a party, and he commented on what a nice tool it was, too. The tactical black on my knife has softened into a matte black from all the wear its gotten, but I'm pretty hard on tools in general. I definitely don't coddle them in any way.

I got it just about a year ago, a gift from my husband. He's so great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Not Great EDC, August 4, 2010
I've been carrying this knife every day for a month and found:

Pros:
- Very Sharp and strong blade
- Easy (enough) one-handed opening
- Very, very thin - I carry it in my back pocket and always have to check if it's still there, even when seated.
- Easy to get a firm grip with finger grooves and thumb rest
- Very secure locking mechanism
- Open design allows for easy cleaning

Cons:
- Clip is too small to allow for easy slide into your pocket
- Clip is too weak to keep knife from falling out of your pocket (it's fallen out 10 times already)
- Knife is too wide to clip on front pocket and still be able to easily stick my hand in my front pocket

In short, my elusive hunt for the perfect Every Day Carry (EDC) knife will continue as soon as this one falls out of my pocket some place where I can't find it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good EDC knife, February 14, 2010
Out of the box, it needed a couple of swipes on a steel to get really sharp, and I really wish the pocket clip was easy to remove (maybe I missed the trick, but I emailed SOG about it and no response so far) because I don't use it.

Otherwise, it is as good a minimalist knife as there is. I can see field dressing a deer with it, if need be (but a real hunting knife it's not). And the lock button is easy to use left handed, and you can flip the blade open or closed with the button pulled back.

All in all, a very nice EDC implement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ever worth a lot, October 11, 2012
To me this is a 29.99 knife, it's just not worth more then that. The blade is very sharp like a razor blade and it looks pretty thin and looks like it could easily chip or break in half, so be very careful with what you choose to cut with it. It would of been nice if they put very small thumb studs on the blade "instead of the long hole", so it would of been even easier to open with one hand and been a tougher blade. All the holes in the handle and blade are not needed or wanted, I like things strong and holes don't make things strong.

It opens with a wrist flick much easier if you pull the locking lever back first, then flick it open.

I took the clip off so it would fit in my wallet better, and the clip broke while I was taking it off.

I made a nice little leather case for it out of an old wallet to keep the knife from scratching my good wallet and I used 80 pound test Tuf-line fishing filament line as my sewing thread and it worked great and when the knife is deployed, I use the leather sheath as a handle for comfort, because if this knife is used too long it can make your hand hurt from the two points on the back.

I paid 50 bucks for this knife and in my opinion it's not worth that much for a small little knife, "ever". But I bought it anyway and hopefully it will be handy in my future. Some nice features about this knife is that it can be opened with a wrist flip and it locks out tight with no side to side wobble.

The black coating is starting to flake off in places and the little points on the back top of the handle poke into my palm and hurts, so I ground the little point off to make them rounded and smooth.

We needed a knife the other day and I had left the knives I normally carry at home and I pulled this knife out of my wallet and it worked perfectly. As long as I have my wallet, I have a dependable sharp knife.

4.0 out of 5 stars The price you pay for quality., September 21, 2010
Excellent quality. I know it LOOKS like a little $10 Internet novelty item, but it isn't. This is a well-built little critter with an excellent blade. It uses a single-sided version of SOG's "Arc Lock" system, which is similar to the Benchmade "Axis Lock" so popular on all their Osborne design models, for it's strength and reliability.

Blade is outstanding. Coating is excellent. Action is buttery-smooth, and adjustable via torx.

When opened, finger choils provide a really comfortable grasp, and together with strong jimping on the blade spine, provide a secure and usable grip on this thing, despite it's improbable size and shape.

They obviously put some work into it.

Despite all this, I'm sorry SOG but I have to knock a single star off for price. It is a sleek and worthy tool, but we need to be a little realistic. This item can be brought to market far more reasonably without impacting the build quality.

Bottom Line: If you have enough of a need to justify it's excessive price tag, you'll be very pleased with this quality cutting tool. I own one, and I'll tell you, if I break or lose it, I would not hesitate to replace it.

-Berk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife, March 8, 2010
This is a quality little knife. Bought it as a birthday present for my boss. Very well made. Good materials. Easy to conceal. You can even carry it when wearing a suit without looking awkward.