Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SOL REPUBLIC 1601-30 Master Tracks Over-Ear Headphones - Gunmetal
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Gunmetal|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 11, 2013
These are absolutely AMAZING! I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for an excellent quality pair of headphones with unbelievable sound. Listening to these I have heard sounds that I have never heard before, every part of a song is so distinguished. Each sound is so crisp. The vocals sounds fantastic and are so pronounced. They have wonderful highs and the bass is absolutely PERFECT, it doesn't sound cheap or canned at all, which I've had happen with headphones in the past. I know some reviews say that the bass is overwhelming, but I haven't found that to be the case at all for me. My music taste is very eclectic and these headphones sound great with every song I choose, ranging from Elvis Presley to Bassnectar and Miranda Lambert to Ludacris or Metallia - every genre is covered with these headphones. These definitely sound better than anything I have experienced before, better than any other headphone I've tried (I've tried Beats by Dre, Skull Candy and Audio Technica) and even better than any car upgraded stereo with subs and tweeters that I've ever heard.
Sorry for the long review, but I wanted to get my opinion out there :) I really hope this helps out someone else who is in the market for some headphones. They are worth every penny. And if you're trying to choose between different brands - go with these. You will not be disappointed at all. These are so so so amazing and I am soooo unbelievably happy that I took a chance and decided to buy these. Pure perfection.
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
Finally! I've been searching for decent pair of over the ear headphones compact enough to travel with for a while now, and I've finally found them in the Master Tracks.

I was specifically looking for something bass heavy with a mellow but detailed high end (I hate screechy harsh treble). I own a pair of original Monster Turbine in ear headphones that do quite well with the right eartips, albeit just a bit shy in the bass department. I also have a pair of original Denon AH-D5000 running through a Headroom amp for home use when I want more detail. I wanted something similar to the sound of the Turbines in an over the ear configuration, with just a slight bit more bass. I've tried the V-Moda M100 as well as the LP2, some Sony XB models, a bunch of Sennheisers, a bunch of Grados, several Beats and Monsters, AKGs, etc... None of them had the sound I liked.

My criteria are as follows:

1) Bass heavy (not obnoxious).
2) Over the ear, or comfortable enough for a few hours of use.
3) Mellow but detailed high end.
4) Can be driven off an iPhone, Android, portable player, etc..., without the need for an amp.
5) Compact and durable for travel (airplanes, cafes, bus, etc...).
6) Won't break the bank (relatively speaking).

My preferences in music are pretty broad. Primarily EDM, with a bit of classical, classic rock, modern pop-rock, folk, singer/songwriter, spanish guitar, instrumentals, etc... Again, emphasis on bass forward heavy kick for EDM style tracks.

The Sony XB series are just bass monsters that have no detail in the cheap models, and screechy blown out treble at the top models. Horrible. Most other high end brands are more neutral and require an amp to sound decent. Not the bass forward sound I was looking for.

V-Moda came close with the M100 having slightly less (but tight) bass and slightly harsher treble, and the LP2 having more (but sloppy) bass and a dulled out treble making for a muddy sound. A mid way blend between the two would have been perfect, and that's exactly what the Sol Republic Master Tracks is. A heavy but controlled bass (closer to the LP 2 but cleaner), and a slightly rolled off but still detailed high end (closer to the M100 but not as harsh) for a mellower sound. Decent mids that aren't drowned out by the bass so vocals still pop through. Something that you can listen to for hours and not feel fatigued.

Comfort wise, the Master Tracks are good enough. Nothing like the giant cushy ear cups you'd get from high end Sennheisers or Denons (old style). They do go over your ear and I can wear them for a few hours without problems. They don't need an amp to sound good, and they're durable enough to get thrown in my travel backpack. Also cheaper than the V-Moda models. Win!

If you're looking for bass heavy over the ear headphones with detailed but mellow mids and highs that work amazingly well with EDM tracks, but surprisingly well with everything else, these Master Tracks are for you!
on March 10, 2015
These are very good headphones: soft, cushiony, and excellent quality beats wise. These headphones can handle any type of music that you throw at them with ease. The headband is flexible and never looses its tightness w/o being too tight. The speakers slide up and down on the headband and are replaceable should they ever get damaged. I even sleep with mine and listen to my affirmations and meditations. The cord is replaceable as well, should it ever get damaged. I will always own a set of Sol Republic headphones. The gun metal gray is fly, too!
review image
on June 14, 2013
Okay---my teenage son researched and researched headphones as a gift for my husband for Father's day. We finally settled on these and could not be happier. They have the best sound and noise cancelling we have come across. We had gone to the apple store and tried out the Beats, Bose and Logitech ones and these are superior by far and at a ay better price point. My son is now a convert--after believing all the hype about Beats--he has seen the light! He now wants these for his birthday. Also--I bought these 3 days ago, the price dropped $30 yesterday. I chatted with amazon and they immediately and easily issued a refund for the difference---AMAZING SERVICE AMAZON!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!
on January 3, 2014
I have a strange attraction to headphones. Among many, many others, I have a pair of Sol Republic Tracks HD and Beats Solo HD.

First and foremost, if you consider yourself an "audiophile," you won't be cross-shopping these. The sound is most definitely tuned for the consumer. And if you're among the rest of us that just wants your music to kick, these are about as good as they get. The low end is a tiny bit stronger than the Tracks HD. Compared to my Beats Solos, this blows them away. I almost bought the Beats Studio and the Beats Mixr, but after having my Tracks for a while, there was no way I could go back to that brand. The Beats have more thunderous bass reproduction but the sound tends to get muddy very easily. Sol Republic's tuning doesn't over-emphasize bass to keep the sound cleaner. Don't get me wrong, these are definitely tuned to bias toward the low end, but not so much that it drowns out everything else.

I've had Shures and Grados so I'm not going to kid you in saying that the highs are accurate and brilliant. They aren't, but if you're considering these headphones, you're probably looking for reasonably clear mids and highs. Which is what these headphones provide.

My Tracks HD headphones are only comfortable enough to wear for about an hour at a time. Maybe two at the most. I've had these Master Tracks on for an entire work day without feeling the slightest of pressure discomfort. That's not to say it can't be improved, however. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because the ear cushions only swivel in one direction.

Take note that if you don't use an Apple iDevice, the buttons may not perform the function that you expect. I use these headphones with my iPod so the volume, play/pause and track skip functions work as expected. But they're practically useless with my phones (Galaxy S4, Nexus 5 & Nexus 4).
on September 17, 2013
First let me say that I am not an audiophile but like most people I appreciate good sounding music! In my teenage years I could never understand why my buddies put their music so loud that it was all distorted. Why would you ruin the beautiful sound of music by doing that?!

I am a headphone lover! I have so many of them that my wife thinks I'm crazy. I have both models of BOSE quiet comfort noise isolating headphones, the OTE and standard ones. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Sure, and my favorite ones up to date Bowers and Wilkins.

I came across these headphones while browsing at Best Buy. They had a nice display with all of SOL Republic's models there with the ability to plug in your own device and sample the different models. Wow! I was so impressed with all of them! they all sound so much better compared with models of equal price. After testing them all with various types of music I decided to go with the master tracks which is their top of the line model. The music sounds so clean and crisp. This model has a more balanced natural sound compared with the others. Don't get me wrong. The other models sounded great too but I liked these the best.

I like all kinds of music. When I tried these at Best Buy I played Michael Buble, Alan Parsons, Kenny Chesney, Boston & Philly Pops Orchestras, Areosmith and Toni Braxton so I could get a good idea of just how they performed. Awesome is the only word that comes to mind! Vocals were all clear and crisp. The Synthesized music from Alan Parsons was so defined. The music from Aerosmith didn't sound muddy like it does with most of my other headphones. You could here the fingers slide across the strings as the artists played from the orchestras. It made you feel like you were sitting in the front row of the stage. Again, amazing!

These headphones go for $199.00 at Best Buy. I bought them from Amazon (as I usually do for most of my stuff) for $131.00. I have not received them yet but I am really looking forward to put these babies to the test! I will update this review once I do.
on April 22, 2014
I've had these for about 3 months now, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I bought these when they were priced at $180, and I still think they're well worth it. (still $200 in my local retail stores 4/22/14).

First off, these are some of the best looking headphones in my opinion. The gray metal on the sides of the ear pieces look fantastic, and the electric blue is just amazing.

Second off, the most important thing to consider is the sound quality. Sound quality is always the first thing I look for in a pair of headphones. I've owned the ATH-M50's, but regretfully sold them. I wish I still had them to compare directly to these headphones, but I don't. With that being said, I still enjoy the sound of these headphones very much. They have fantastic bass response, and the mids and highs aren't compromised (in my opinion). One thing they really deliver on is the low frequency bass. If you're going to be listening to hip hop and rap, definitely buy these. With that being said, I listen to a very wide variety of music. I am a huge fan of hearing great vocals, and I think these headphones do well with that. These headphones really do sound great with all kinds of music. (keep in mind, I'm aware there are headphones out there for higher prices that will do better than these.) (by the way, I'm not talking about Beats.. everybody with ears knows they're awful.) At this price point, these headphones are fantastic.

Third major point I want to make.. THESE THINGS ARE COMFORTABLE!! The ear cups are fantastic, and the headband is nicely cushioned. I don't have an overly large head by any means, so I can't speak for everybody, but that goes for all headphones.

Overall, for your average consumer looking for reasonably priced headphones, I think these will more than satisfy you. I actually turned a friend of mine onto these and he loves them as well.

I do wish to directly compare these to some other pairs in the same price range soon, so I may update this when that time comes, but for now, I will continue to love these.
on April 26, 2014
I own the Sol Republic Tracks in addition to these, and to me, these are basically a massively improved version of its predecessors. First, these solved the problem of comfort. Anyone who owns the Tracks probably has had the problem of them putting too much pressure on your ears, which caused pain after about an hour and a half (at least that's how it is with mine). Not the case at all with the Master Tracks, the ear cups surround your ear without pressing too hard on anything. And speaking of the ear cups, the cushions are probably the softest material I have ever felt, and they are pretty thick. Easily an inch of cushion alone makes these ear cups look kind of blocky and large on your head, but they are really comfortable. The headband also has a lot of cushion, and where the Tracks had a little strip of cushion, the Master Tracks have a much larger portion with leather covering the whole top and bottom side of the headband. However, I thought the Tracks headband cushions were softer and more comfortable. The Master Tracks headband has a stiffer, thinner cushion on the top.

Now, in case you can't tell by the picture, the whole headphone has a matte/metallic finish, and the flat outside of the ear cups are metal. This brings me to the second problem that these solve: no part of them attracts fingerprints. If you got the Tracks, the ear cups were fingerprint magnets, and he HDs and Ultras feature a glossy headband that have the same problem. The Master Tracks do not have a bit of gloss on them.

The next improvement is noise isolation/leakage. In my experience with the Tracks, they leaked a fair amount of sound, I couldn't play anything above 50% iPhone volume in a quiet room because everyone could hear my music. These are better, not perfect, but have improved. What's really cool is how well they keep foreign sound out. The Master Tracks do better at noise isolation than a couple of active noise cancelling headphones that I have used in the past. I am amazed by the isolation capabilities these cans have.

Finally, the best improvement: sound quality. The Master Tracks have finally balanced the sound perfectly for almost any genre. The Tracks packed a boatload of bass, which was really neat for dubstep, trap, and hip-hop, but was really messy on genres like rock, classical, and anything with a lot of instruments and vocals. The Master Tracks have lowered the bass by a lot, but they still boost it a little, which makes them sound really full without sounding obnoxiously bass-heavy. Rock sounds way awesome on these, the guitars sound really full, yet controlled. The mid range is pretty average, vocals sound pretty smooth. The high range is kind of muffled, but I prefer this warmer treble over that harsh, sharp, overly clear treble that other headphones offer.

All in all, these are a really big improvement from the Tracks. You can listen to almost any genre with these, I don't think you can go wrong. If you liked Sol Republic before, get ready to love them twice as much! These are great headphones, I think they are absolutely worth it.
on August 5, 2013
let me start off by saying im in no way a music producer or dj just your average person who loves music, so with that being said these headphones are AMAZING!

SOUNDS: THE SOUNDS IS AMAZING GOOD! better then my bose and pioneers. they highs, mids and lows are balanced so well! the bass is just perfect i listen to alot of EDM and screamo and it handles everything just perfect! awesome things as well they sound better when they are played louder!

COMFORT: These headphones are so comfortable i can use them for hours at a time! the ear cups are so squishy like clouds on your ears!

DURABILITY: Dont worry about this they are mad to handle anything:)
on December 18, 2013
Everyone has their bias for sound. I'll save you time and give you my opinions on competitors first, so you can see where I stand.

Bose QC15 - One of the best, if not the best, in "noise canceling" technology. Everyone who says they do noise canceling, it's never active like the QC15's, and if so, not nearly as active. Sound wise, they're good, but not what people go crazy over.
Beats Studios - Too much bass. Great sound, and Monster makes quality products, but you're buying the name and the bass.

So where do I put these? Beneath both of those, sure, but that's where they are intended to be. Bose and Beats are meant to score 10 out of 10, but they're 8's at best. Sol's product is meant to be a 7 out of 10, and it's exactly that. So if you're just a music lover, need good flat audio with a little extra kick, these are certainly a great deal. Insanely durable, fantastic modern design, and great sound.

Note, these bleed a lot of noise, so for the work place, your bystanders may hear a little something. I use mine for drumming, and although there's no active noise canceling, it does a pretty good job since it fits around my ears perfectly. They're also cozy at my desk.

For the price, these are probably one of the best buy's you'll find.