Published on October 11, 2010 by TwinMommy

Published on May 22, 2010 by Camera guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Solar Sun Rings are useless, May 22, 2010
Camera guy (Pleasanton, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
I ordered 16 Solar Sun Rings for my pool and quickly discovered they are poorly designed, shoddily made and worthless. These items must be inflated and have 2 air pockets/ring. The welds are poorly done -- on one ring had a seam clearly not welded and open, most other rings leaked air slowly. Almost 40% had air leaks after one week. The materials are of very low quality -- a cheap child's toy costing around $5.00 at Walmart is better made. The design is also flawed. A slight breeze causes them to bunch together. The manufacturer suggested letting more air out but several rings were already partially under water and sinking! Without a doubt, this is one of the worst products I have ever seen. The 2 year warranty is a joke -- no refunds from the manufacturer, only replacements, and the supplier also refused (initially) to give a refund. it took the great services of Amazon and lots of e mail activity too finally get the refund. I strongly urge prospective buyers to check this product out carefully before buying -- it really is worthless!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, May 13, 2010
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
We bought these rings with high expectations. We live in a windy area and apparently there is a modified version we could have bought but the listing never mentioned it and the seller won't exchange them. We also tried to anchor them with fishing weights, but that didn't work either. When it wasn't windy, we did notice an increase in temperature, but as soon as the pool was on and water was circulating, the temperature dropped. If you are going to try these out, I recommend you purchase them from someone with a legitimate return policy.

2.0 out of 5 stars flimsy and worthless, June 7, 2010
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
I ordered these solar rings to try to help with the pool heating. What a JOKE!! They are so flimsy, they are difficult to get in the water, if it gets windy at all they get blown into one little corner of the pool, and it takes forever to sort them out. They don't lay flat on the water, they started leaking the week I got them. I would definitely NOT buy these

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Useless - Returned them immediately, June 27, 2010
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
Anyone who uses a solar cover and thinks these are worth a try should be forewarned. These are absolutely useless, blow off the pool easily, and are so cheaply made that it's amazing they are even marketed. I'll even go a step further: in all my years of purchasing items online, this was the worst purchase. I mentioned it to the local pool store and the staff laughed as they've also refused to carry this garbage.

One bright spot - Pool Supply Warehouse (the Amazon seller) took back my shipment and reimbursed me the purchase price. If I do buy pool supplies online, I would definitely consider buying from these guys again. Great seller and great customer service!

1.0 out of 5 stars dont waste your money, May 28, 2011
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
worked for first season. heated nicely. sun eventuly dried them out become brittle and everyone of them cracked and sank. 400 dollars invested in the trash.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to heat the pool without spending tons of money...IF you live somewhere where it gets hot!, October 11, 2010
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
This was a great way to heat our pool over the summer. We were fortunate enough to have some hot days (over 100) where we live so the solar rings really kept the pool a nice temperature. I would recommend these to anyone who live in a area that gets over 90 degrees in the summer, but probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't. When the weather was in the high 80s, the pool did go back to being on the colder side. These Solar Rings go along with the temperature outside, not really about the sun being on them.

1.0 out of 5 stars 50% defective rate, February 27, 2011
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
I receipt 6 items as ordered. Upon inflation per instruction provided one out of six leaks right away. Upon use of the first few days two more leaked. I tried to patch up the first item that was leaked but it did not work. Products do not work and are defective. 50% defective rate is not acceptable for any product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Solar rings are useless, May 26, 2013
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
Wish I had seen the amazon reviews here before buying this product. Bought 14 of them from Leslie pool. This product does not work as advertised and they are costly. It has been 10 days and 3 of them are leaking already. Getting refund is a pain. I think a regular solar pool cover is better and cost effective.
Gave 1 star as they look good on the pool. You are better off not buying this product if your intention is to heat your pool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy! Trust the bad reviews!, May 14, 2013
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
Bought 10 of these from Pool Supply Warehouse and I have to say that this STORE is great! The product and the company that manufactures them are just plain BAD. I would like to use other words but this is for public viewing. I also bought 10 from another suppler and the same thing happened. What happened is that 25% of them leaked. that's 5 out of 20 bought from 2 different locations. 4 were pinhole leaks caused by the way they fold them to put them in the package. The last one was the seam was not welded properly. I have to give props to Pool Supply Warehouse because they immediately replaced the two I bought from them and I mean immediately. Each ring comes with a repair patch and a slip about the warranty which they say is 2 years. I tried the patch and it did not work so I went to the warranty. Here is how the slip reads: "NOTICE, SOLAR SUN RINGS ARE SOLD THROUGH AUTHORIZED RETAILERS. ANY SOLAR SUN RINGS PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED RETAILERS ARE SOLD "AS IS" AND HAVE NO WARRANTY. AUTHORIZED RETAILERS ARE ON OUR WEB SITE." Went o the web site and found out that where I purchased it was not on there small list, and then I looked at the warranty claim form which states you have to have paid there minimum price of over $27.00 per unit. Bad product made in China with there wonderful quality control, a shady warranty and high failure rate out of the box.... DO NOT BUY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Poor Customer Service From Manufacturer, July 16, 2013
This review is from: SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING
DO NOT BUY THESE! Get a clear solar cover over these pieces of junk!

I purchased 9 solar sun rings for my pool. I opened my pool in May and inflated the rings. They were pretty neat!

However 8 of the 9 rings ended up being defective out of the box. What happens is when I fill the 8 defective rings with air, they lose their air immediately or within a few hours. Some of the rings were so defective the air plugs wouldn't even fit in the holes.

Here is the inventory of their issues:
- 1 ring outer ring does not take or hold any air
- 3 rings outer ring take air but they are flat or low on air within a next day
- 4 rings outer rings hold air but the inside inflatable portion does not hold air. The plug is deformed because of the packaging crushed the plug and the hole so they dont fit together. See attached picture.

The manufacturer has a 1 or 2 year warranty on the product. I asked if I could get new ones or replacement ones and they denied me. Even though I had only owned them for 4 months, the manufacturer did not stand behind their warranty. I emailed and called the company and they didnt get back to me.

So I opened a BBB case against them and then they decided to contact me. I had to spend time filing a claim with the BBB in order to talk to the manufacturer.

Hope my story paints a picture for how bad these are and how the manufacturer treated its customers.

SOLAR SUN RING POOL SPA HEATER 21,000 BTU COVER HEATING