5.0 out of 5 stars Great home treadmill
Published on January 16, 2011 by Pipsi

I am not sure why Sole treadmills get so much good reviews. I was expecting to get something closer to the high end treadmills from my gym, given the reviews and the price.

Published on April 24, 2011 by Greg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great home treadmill, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
Received this a few days ago. I was impressed that Amazon was able to get this to me in two days. First off, I am a serious runner. Road races whenever I can and have done 4 marathons. I have also done a lot of running on treadmills at gyms and a multitude of hotels. I wanted a home mill because I am starting to lose my desire to run outside on those cold wintry days. I did a lot of research and had narrowed down to a few but the warranty along with the price and positive reviews made me select the f83. I considered the f85 but the better motor and slightly wider deck on it, did not move me to spend the additional dollars. It appears that these were the only differences. I looked at the smooth models but after running on one that my sister recently purchased I was not all that impressed. I also considered the lower end precors (9.23, 9.27) but even though I love the precors, I could not bring myself to spend the extra money on it when I felt the sole would suffice. However if money was no object I may have gone with a precor or life fitness.

So far I really like this treadmill. It is quiet and smooth. But it is HEAVY. So if you plan to move it anywhere there are stairs you should keep this in mind. However, you should also keep in mind that better mills tend to be heavy ;) I have not tried out any of the programs as I always select manually what I want. I also did not try the heartrate strap because I run by feel. I did plug in my ipod and the speakers are sufficiently loud for my workouts. A subwoofer would have been a nice touch but hey it is a treadmill and not a stereo system. So far the f83 is an excellent treadmill that I would buy again. And yeah, I hope it will be able to handle the many miles I intend to put on it over the years. So far so good.

Pros:
Quiet
Stable
Solid build quality
Easy to assemble
Cup holder
Great multi informational display

Cons:
Delay when slowing your pace but this is not a show stopper for me

Side note not related to the actual product review. Seems that every oversized item I order from Amazon arrives in badly broken packaging. My f83 was also delivered in a box that was pretty banged up. Luckily nothing inside appears to be affected. It has not been a good trend with these large packages but so far everything worked ok.

**Update:
After a month it is holding up great. I run on it an hour a day 7 days a week and no issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great treadmill, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
We have had the treadmill about 3 weeks now. Both my husband and I use it, mainly on weekends. It is very sturdy, works well, and we are very happy with it. Speed and incline controls all work well and are easy to use since you can access them both on the main panel and on the handles. I would have given the treadmill 5 stars except that it is tricky to put together -- it took my husband and son the better part of an afternoon to get it together. It definitely requires two people to assemble. If you are not handy or have no experience assembling equipment or don't have help, then it would be worth the extra money to pay for assembly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average quality, not worth the price. Will never buy Sole products again., April 24, 2011
Greg (Sammamish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)

I use it to run at about 8 mph on average. The one I received is clearly not "wisper silent" in this type of usage. The motor and belt noise is not too bad, but not as good at what I used at the gym. But this treadmill is rattling pretty loudly when running above roughly 5mph to the point where I need to use closed headphones to hear music or TV. That's very disappointing.

I encountered several other quality or poor design issues with this treadmill:

-In the first 10 minutes of usage, the big green start button on the console broke. Sole sent me immediately a new console for free, but I had to spend even more time removing the broken console, installing the new one, and recalibrating it. I noticed that the new console has a similar weakness, on the stop button this time. I'll just try to be carefull to press those buttons lightly. Those buttons are just poorly designed, the circuit board underneath with the microswitch is attached by two screws on tiny bits of plastic.

-The audio input is completely useless, event when using headphones, because it picks up noise from the motor when the treadmill is running, making the sound quality unbareable.

-As other users have noticed, it takes an unusually long time for the speed changes to happen. It is a bit annoying when doing high intensity intervals.

-It is too easy to hit the plastic cover of the motor when running close to the console and handles. It requires me to move backward from what I consider a confortable position between the handles and in reach of the console. Not a huge problem but it happened a few times.

Overall, this treadmill is just OK for the price and for my usage and I am a bit disappointed.

UPDATE: Just after one year using this treadmill:
-I am now getting the infamous LS1 error. I'll need to waste again time to get Sole's support and probably wait a few weeks for a fix.
-And the plastic cover underneath the belt is breaking in pieces. Not a huge problem but it is not a sign of a quality design.

I strongly regret not having returned this mediocre equipment immediately after the 1st incident. Clearly not worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice for the Home Gym, May 6, 2011
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
We've owned this treadmill since Christmas and have had a great experience with it so far. Other reviewers' comments about the platform being heavy and sturdy, the tread being stable, and the motor being reliable have all proven true for us. We have two users - my husband (6'0") and myself (5'2") and the platform length accommodates us both very well. We're also able to save our favorite runs under separate user profiles, which saves time starting up our workouts. Three things have kept me from rating this 5-star: (1) the fans broke almost immediately, and while it doesn't matter to us, I can imagine that being frustrating to someone counting on them; (2) the unit builds up SERIOUS static electricity, even though we've had it checked for proper grounding; (3) the audio connection sends our iPods into tailspins on occasion. For the price, I think this is a great product. Be sure to buy a thick rubber floor pad for below the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE TO A REVIEW THAT NO LONGER EXISTS...., March 10, 2014
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
We bought an F-83 in 2011 on closeout- a 2010 model. Over the years is has seen regular usage from my wife, and I've used it when placed on hold on phone calls and the like. It died last week. This mornings call to customer service was very well done- After being on hold for about 6 minutes, I was a little cranky, but when it was my turn the service guy walked me through diagnostic procedures and we found the problem. The repair parts are being sent to me as the unit is STILL under warranty along with a pre-paid mailer for the return parts. This unit cost a bit more when we bought it, but the initial cost has been justified with the customer service / warranty, along with years of use. I hope the new ones are as good as the older ones, but we are still happy with ours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sole Fitness F63 Folding Treadmill - Have had this treadmill for a couple years and love it - No problems, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
Really like this treadmill. It is quiet, and it has more functions than we will ever use in our home, plus it is well made and the large 2.5 inch rollers really make it easy to use.

That said, we are walkers and not runners. I warm up at 3 mph for a minute, then progress to 4.5mph (am a little over 6ft 1in) and vary the incline from 2 - 4 degrees. My comfort zone for max sweating is about 4.3mph. My wife (at 5ft 4in) settles in mid 3mph range for her turn on the treadmill, and she uses the fans and mp3 player while she is on it.

We have a TV in our exercise room, and we do not have to turn the sound up more than one or two clicks when the machine is going... honestly, my mother-in-law is way more difficult to drown out than this unit is...

The toughest part of this whole deal was getting the 260 pound unit up to our second floor workout room. Dang-it man, that was a pain the the you know where, but, it is well built and quite solid.

Excellent treadmill that does what it is supposed to do without breaking the bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 18, 2014
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
Best treadmill I've owned so far! Purchased this about 5 yrs ago on Amazon. It was easy to assemble. I use it almost daily for about 7 mi of running a day. The input jack for the iPod has some connection issues but we have not had to call a repair person out for the main workings. Very durable, relatively quiet for a foldable treadmill. Very smooth operation.

1.0 out of 5 stars P.O.S., January 18, 2013
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
Terrible reliability and even worse customer service. I have owned this product for 2.5 years. Within six months something went wrong with a roller and a repair guy had to come fix it. The past two months I have been trying to repair this treadmill myself, since the service warranty only covers two years. Guess how that has gone. They have sent three defective consoles (one didn't even fit), and two defective control boards so far. I have had to pay a repair guy twice to come to my house ($100 each visit), and the product is still sitting dead. BUYER BEWARE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sole F83 Treadmill, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Sole F83 Treadmill (Sports)
Just received my treadmill. Shipping was very timely and the package arrived in good condition.

Very heavy unit but 2 men and I were able to carry downstairs.

About an hour to assemble.

GREAT so far, quiet and smooth. I LOVE IT! :)

Sole F83 Treadmill