5.0 out of 5 stars One of best entertainment purchases ever
I'm pretty picky about my electronic and computer gear. For me to like it, it's got to work and work flawlessly. I won't tolerate equipment that sort of works or works some of the time. It's not worth it. Just send it back.

I decided to try a Sonos ZonePlayer90 after getting Sirius at home and realizing that my reception via the indoor/outdoor antenna left...
Published on April 14, 2009 by C. Humble

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to use, but tinny sound -external DAC strongly advised
Right up front, I should say that I'm not an audiophile. I am a musician and certainly appreciate good sound, but I don't invest a ton in it. For my home stereo I spent roughly $600 on a Yamaha receiver and $800 for a good pair of speakers. So while I certainly want a good sounding setup, I'm not obsessed with it and am happy with "mid-level" sound quality...
Published 16 months ago by DB in PA

‹ Previous | 19 10 1126 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints (well nothing major). but don't let that scare you!, June 27, 2012
kinematic (wellesley, ma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SONOS - CONNECT Wireless Streaming Music Stereo Receiver Component (Electronics)
finally, a product that works out of the box. i bought this unit to connect to my router and to my home theatre receiver so i can play music over the home theatre system. awesome! plug-n-play explains the hook up procedure. i am pretty tech savvy when it comes to computers and am always skeptical that it will not work out of the box. well this unit does and we are enjoying all of our music (well my wifes that is as i do not own any) from our ReadyNAS networked attached storage device.

At first we used my wifes computer (mac w/itunes) as a media server (yup, SONOS found it on our wireless network) but when the laptop went to sleep, no music so i added and NAS device to our network. if you want to make the leap into wireless home music system, i can reccomend SONOS w/o hesitation. in fact we now have three units, the connect, the play 5 and the connect amp. here is how i have hooked them up in hopes it will help you if you decide to go this route

1. the "connect" is connected to my netgear router (2.4GHz and 5GHz, important note) via cat5 cable and to my home theatre reciever via the external audio in jacks.

2. the play 5 sits on our fridge (where the bose wave radio resided) and is very inconspicuous.

3. the connect amp is hooked up to our outside deck speakers.

with this configuration we can play different music in each space or we can group the spaces together to play all the same music.

so how does it sound? well the home theater is only as good as the components and ours is a quality system and sounds great. the play 5 sounds a lot better than the bose wave radio which i thought lacked depth. the deck speakers sound great as well and we do not blare the music as we have neighbors to consider.

i think you will be satisfied with this product. the only complaints we have is there appears to be a slight "echo" between rooms that are grouped and it could be due to signal delay. i do not find it to offensive thought. that and cost is high and i have read about the limitations of song titles and slow indexing. we have about 1500 songs and indexing does not seem to take very long but those that have much larger collections may not be happy with SONOS.

still a 5 in my opinion.

note: regarding the 2.5GHz and 5GHz router, i had to disable the 2.5GHz wireless transmitter as it was interferring w/may Harmony 900 radio remote. I have all our components; router, receiver SONOS, set top box, bluray and sub in a closet off our media room and could not figure out why my radio/IR remote was sporadically not working. I thought it was the SONOS interferring w/the radio signals but as it turns out I read that the Harmony 900 transmits at 2.4GHz, so it was interfering with my router.Once I turned off the 2.4GHz transmitter, allwas working again. Just a heads up if you have your system configure in a similar manner.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little too smart, June 5, 2012
I love the idea of Sonos! I have the bridge and the connect hooked up to my A/V receiver. It is very cool that you can control it with your iPhone, but I wish I could also program it to my universal remote.

Also, anyone else having problems with overheating? It may be because its always plugged in but with it being a home network device if I unplug it it has to re-sync every time I want to use it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool product., September 4, 2011
D. Peters (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
Very cool product. Extremely easy to set up. I pull my iTunes library off my Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS411J (White).

I use both the iPhone and the android clients to control the music queue. Both are extremely easy to use. Setup of the box was cake.

One caveat: I really didn't like the sound I got at first out of my high end analog receiver.so, I bought a Musical Fidelity V-DAC Upsampling Digital to Analog Audio Converter and that made it sound a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars SONOS DELIVERS, July 18, 2011
I bought this product, along with the S5 for our summer rental that we share with some friends. I knew about Sonos before I purchased it but I always relied on my Apple TV before that or simply plugging my ipod/iphone into the stereo.

The product is very well built, it comes with all the necessary cables (including ethernet) and the set up was pretty easy. Once you combine it with the free remote app for iPhone or iPad it's a no brainer (please don't spend over $300 on the sonos remote). It is really easy to combine, drop zones, play different sources in different rooms, following the instructions on the Sonos website I was able to make the S5 air-play ready for Apple devices.

I did encounter one small problem but it wasn't with Sonos but with my Mac who wasn't able to share my library with Sonos. One thing to keep in mind is that this item is almost useless unless you have a decent internet connection. Unless you stream straight from your computer's music library you will stream from Pandora, XM, Spotify, etc and if your bandwidth is pretty low, as soon as you go browsing the internet you might drop the connection. Again this is not Sonos' fault but something to keep in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, June 20, 2011
I have yet to read a negative review of Sonos, and now I know why. I've had my first Sonos unit for about a week, and have really enjoyed it. It took a week to arrive, which is actually longer than most of my Amazon orders, but it was worth it.

From the moment I opened the box, I could tell that Sonos is a company that has its act together. The unit was well-packaged, and very well documented. Numerous customer supports options were prominently displayed on a conspicuous card. (How many times have you noticed companies that like to hide their support options, because once they have your money, they really hope they never hear from you.)

The unit was plug & play with my network, and I had no problems whatsoever. I was listening to music within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, and I've been listening ever since.

I am using the free controller app for my Android phone. It installed with no problems, and works nicely. When I am sitting at the computer, I use the free PC controller. Again, it installed with no issues, and works very nicely.

The choices for music are staggering. For starters, the controller gives you instant access to all the music on any computer on your home network. The next option is radio. They boast over 100,000 stations. I haven't counted them, but I wouldn't doubt it. They are nicely cataloged so that you can search for local stations, or by other locations around the country/continent/world. But the cataloging doesn't stop with location-based searching. You can also search by genre, and then drill down even further. For example, you can select Music/Decades/80's. Heck, you can even listen to pilots talk to air traffic control at some of the larger airports, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Next comes your 3rd-party music providers. I use Pandora, and it integrates flawlessly with the Android controller. I don't use them, but Sonos also integrates with SiriusXM, Napster, Rhapsody, Sticher, Last.FM, MOG, and others.

Your Itunes playlists appear as playlists on your Sonos controller.

It's true that Sonos is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system!, June 8, 2011
Sonos is a great system to provide music throughout one's home. The setup was very easy, and we haven't had any problems in the 6 months while using this system. The individual parts of Sonos are sleek looking and match our furniture and sound system well. The sound quality is great. The Sonos software is decent and we like the ability to stream various internet radio stations for free.

While expensive, I haven't found any systems that work like this and is as versatile.

The only thing I would change would be able to use my computer speakers when I have the Sonos software loaded to play the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well designed system that brings life to my old gear, April 22, 2011
I just spent my second day with the ZonePlayer 90 with a perma-grin. I just hooked up my S5 today. My rock kingdom expands effortlessly. Back to the ZP 90. Scanning the music library on the NAS took longer than the setup. I am always impatient and I still found this fast and easy to setup.

I start my Sonos network with SP 90 unit plugged into my ethernet cable that was already by my stereo. The two rj 45 plugs in back let you share the cable. I then hooked up the toslink cable to the receiver. My PC ran the setup disk with ease. The instructions were easy and almost unnecessary. The setup disk tells you to hit the buttons on the unit during setup, it updates on the internet and you are almost done. You create a web interface at Sonos and the rest of the setup is intuitive and easy as well.

The advantages so far:

I have an HD Radio tuner that I plugged into one of the two RCA component in jacks on the back of the ZP 90. So I get to make my old components wireless independent of my AV receiver if I want. I may hook up my XM radio cradle or a phone dock as well.

It works so well with my NAS and it will log in with user/pass

Using Droid and Apple apps for control makes the super remote seem unnecessary. You will need a wifi network to use the Droid app. The pc control is a good standby. I havent used the alarm clock and a few of the other settings but there is always tomorrow.

I have satellite radio, but I only really love a couple stations at the most. I am glad I took this step to find more. I have found a few standouts already from all the internet stations. The selection is overwhelming. I thought this was going to be too proprietary and limited, it is not.

The cons only seem like the price. I don't think that anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have bought this sooner, April 6, 2011
Anon (Sammamish, WA) - See all my reviews
This is the best purchase I made in recent years. I have a over a hundred CDs which I back it up to a RAID array. However, playing the music on my Bose home theater from the disk has always been a pain. Sonos makes it very simple to play music. I'm quite impressed with its wifi capabilities as the Sonos Bridge and the Player are at opposite corners in our home. The only change I had to make was to get a Buffalo LinkStation NAS drive and attach it to the router.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance, November 4, 2012
I have had my Sonos system almost 4 years and have become completely disappointed. It works "sort of, most of the time" but often it just fades in and out. Components fail right after their warrenty expires. The software provides no flexibility to turn off the wireless connection for components I have connected by cable to my network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 10, 2008
Ray (Kingwood, Tx) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy this product that allows me to play music files on my PC or on my music service on my audio system. I've used wireless speakers to listen to music remotely previously but the sound quality through the Sonos is superior. Set up is very easy.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1126 | Next ›