4.0 out of 5 stars Probably your best choice for a warm basic snow boot
These 10" high winter boots set the standard for basic cold weather boots in snowy conditions. They're probably the boot most commonly worn by locals in snowy Western mountain towns.

Published on October 10, 2007 by C. Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't they make them in Canada?
Published on December 19, 2009 by P. L. univ Tennessee

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably your best choice for a warm basic snow boot, October 10, 2007
C. Ryan (Winthrop, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)

But be advised they do not have a lot of lateral stability in the sole of the boot. That is to say, the rubber bottoms tend to twist sideways making them, in my opinion, unsuitable for anything other around town use and possibly some work situations. The twisting motion makes traveling off beaten paths, especially climbing hills or side hilling, more difficult and tiring. My seven year old (Canadian made) Sorel Caribou models have somewhat thicker and probably more water resistant leather uppers, but the current (Chinese made) Sorels seem to have more advanced combination synthetic and wool felt liners and apparently much-needed additional underfoot insulation.

These boots have a cool look with the faux shearling collars but their relatively modest height means you will need to wear gaiters to keep out snow if you leave beaten paths. Felt lined pacs are typically the warmest boots for the bucks and the liners can be taken out to dry. I've washed my Sorel liners on gentle cycle using wool-friendly soap with excellent results and spraying some Armorall (used to perk up rubber and plastic in cars) on the rubber bottoms keeps them looking great as well.

Recommended to anyone who wants a warm, foolproof, traditional looking boot to wear in around-town or to cold weather outdoor events, keep in the car for emergencies and possibly wear to work or riding snow machines in really cold weather.

4.0 out of 5 stars pixie-pdr, December 16, 2009
mightytaiyo (Playa Del Rey, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)
ordered the Caribou-Elderberry [5m].....my true size is 6 1/2 [running shoe 7]...after reading reviews on a few sites. 80% of the women reviewing said they ordered 1/2 to 1 full size smaller was best. And though i haven't had the chance to wear these in snow YET, the 5m DID in fact fit me perfectly - with my SmartWool PhD Ski Medium socks on!! Was snug but had room for my toes to wiggle around - and i have a wide foot where my toes are. the boot is bulky so if you go true to size......they'd definitely look HUGE on you. i think the trick is.....if you have a "fuller" foot [not in length but girth/width] in whatever size you fit, consider just going to the next SMALLER size [Sorel Caribou don't come in 1/2 sizes]...so if you're 6 1/2 go down to a 6............this will still give you LOTS of wiggle room and probably allow you to wear super thick socks. otherwise, if you've got an average to slender foot, might want to try a full size smaller................... Boot construction - well made....and they look so cute on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't they make them in Canada?, December 19, 2009
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)
We just ordered a pair for my wife because she likes my 10-yr.-old pair so much. The new ones look about the same but as soon as you put them on you realize that they are not the same. The details in the construction are not there. The materials are not as robust. Some reviewers already commented on the new boots' lack of durability. My 10-yr.-old pair were "hand made in Canada" and the new ones are made in China. I doubt the new pair will look as good as mine in 10 years.

I read on-line that Columbia Sports wear bought the brand name and closed the Canadian factory. The new ones cost just as much as the old Canadian ones but Sorel now advertise in Vogue!!! It is sad that Columbia closed up the original factory and move the business overseas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase you'll make!, February 2, 2011
I just moved to NYC, and after our first blizzard, I realized I needed snow boots. I browsed, read the reviews, and decided on these boots. This was one of the best decisions of my life! These boots are warm! I can step in any puddle, in any snow embankment, and even walk across an inch of ice. I highly recommend them!

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome boot!, February 9, 2009
I live in metro-detroit and ordered this boot right before the deep freeze set in about a month ago. My feet stayed wonderfully warm and dry even in 8 inches of snow, and I wore them EVERYWHERE. The only reason I can't give them 5 stars is because if you walk around as much as I do (college student and retail employee) you'll find that your legs are actually sore because these suckers weigh so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love 'em... but..., December 27, 2009
Katy (Rockford, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)
When I was a kid (in cold, snowy northern Illinois), we always wore Sorel Caribous to keep our feet warm and dry. When I went to get boots a few years ago, they were the only ones I looked at. Thank goodness they come in cool colors now (the old ones were ugly as sin!). I've had my current (Made in Canada) pair for 4 years, and I love them. I have a friend who has a pair of the more recent "Made in China"s, and she agrees with my thoughts on these completely. These boots (China or Canada) are better for some things than for others... For playing out in the snow- wonderful! Driving, not so much... the stiff, thick (and very supportive & comfortable) upper does not have a lot of give, so flexing your ankle to drive isn't going to happen. I generally drive in slippers or sneakers, then slide these on when I get where I'm going. Not a big deal for me, and sooo worth it to have awesome snow boots! And, yes, they do run a bit big. I happen to love that I can wear them with big, thick socks... if I have on regular socks, the previously mentioned supportive upper keeps my foot secure, and my toes have extra room; again, no biggie, and very comfy. The removable liner is a huge plus. I've washed them in Woolite when they get stinky/icky. All in all, a great outdoor boot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boot, problems with size, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Sorel Women's Caribou Boot (Shoes)
I really like these boots. I did a lot of fretting about which size to get since I am a pretty true 7.5. Most reviews said they run big and to order down. I ordered a 7 and they were just too tight, even with a thin sock. Another website that specialized in winter boots said they run true to size and to order up. I got the 8's and they are perfect with a regular sock with a little room for a thicker sock if I need it. So for me, ordering up was the best fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these boots!, March 3, 2008
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)
I live in a wet climate, not a ton of snow, but these boots are great. Super warm and waterproof. Great for heading out to the mountains or for just going to the dog park. I think they do run a bit big....I wear a 9 and there is room for my foot to move a bit, however, not an issue when I wear thicker socks. I ordered the Buff, but received the black...however, I liked the black so much I decided to keep them.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good boot, but not to 40 below, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Sorel Womens Caribou Tusk boots (Apparel)
I bought these boots for a month of field research in Barrow, Alaska (high in the Arctic). They were definitely on the roomy side, but that was a plus since it meant I could wear two pairs of warm socks. Other users have complained about poor ankle support, but I didn't have a problem with that, and I was hauling coolers full of ice cores around and digging in the snow! Yet others have bemoaned their clunky appearance. To these folks, I say, "Honestly, did you anticipate going out for a night on the town in these boots? They're for keeping your feet warm and dry, not for dancing!"

My main complaint with the Caribou is that the "rated to -40'F" claim is absolutely bogus. For my research, I was out on the ice and in the snow for much of the day at temperatures between 0-30'F, and the only way I could prevent my toes from quickly going numb was to cram a handwarmer in the toe of each boot! It wasn't the most comfortable solution, but it was better than the alternative. The liners also have a tendency to come out when you take the boot off--not the end of the world, but still annoying.

I'd recommend these boots if you need something to keep your feet dry and relatively warm in the snow, but only if you'll be wearing them for an hour or so at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably your best choice for a warm basic snow boot, October 27, 2008
C. Ryan (Winthrop, WA United States) - See all my reviews

But be advised there is not a lot of lateral stability in the sole of the boot. That is to say, the rubber bottoms tend to twist sideways making them, in my opinion, unsuitable for anything other around town use and possibly some work situations. The twisting motion makes traveling off beaten paths, especially climbing hills or side hilling, more difficult and tiring.

Sorel Women's Caribou Boot