I have been cooking with Aviva's first Scramble cookbook for two years now and my whole family has enjoyed her recipes.

Published on May 4, 2010 by Rachael

3.0 out of 5 stars Skip the Kindle version--the paperback edition is WAY better
Published on September 1, 2011 by ElizabethH

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first cookbook (I didn't think that was possible!), May 4, 2010
This review is from: SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families (Paperback)

When I saw she had a new cookbook out, I requested it immediately but was a bit unsure whether it would live up to the first one. I should not have worried - I think this one is even better! There were so many recipes I loved that I have too many pages to dog-ear, and I anticipate this being used weekly in our home for a long time.

Best improvements:
1. Better organization - While still categorized by seasons (which I find extremely helpful), now the fish/meat/pasta recipes are put together so that you can easily select from the right style of meal. At the beginning of each 'season' every recipe is indexed by page number so you can easily flip right to it.
2. Side dish recipes are now included in each recipe, instead of having to flip to the back of the book
3. Very helpful side-bar articles and tips (and very up to date - including the issue of BPA in canned goods, composting tips, and lunch/snack ideas)
4. Really good recipes! There is great variety in here with a focus on lots of fruits/vegetables and interesting spices. Nothing bland or boring.

I highly recommend this cookbook!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic family cookbook, May 6, 2010
This is an unbelievably good cookbook. First, the organization is great- everything you need for a dinner is laid out together; the side dish suggestions are great & recipes are on the same page; the weekly menus are helpfully grouped with the related recipes. More importantly, the recipes are written in a clear and easy to follow style- and they cook up as promised. And, critically, the recipes are so successful that we have already adopted several as household staples- and we're still in the first couple weeks of using the cookbook.

The only, relatively minor, caveat is that Ms. Goldfarb's children are clearly better at eating certain foods than mine are. I would love for them to cheerfully eat a black bean salad, but alas they have not yet seen the light. But I live in hope, and in the meantime, I can make it & eat it myself.

I have quite a lot of cookbooks, and have given away even more, because the recipes didn't live up to the book around them. This one is a keeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Skip the Kindle version--the paperback edition is WAY better, September 1, 2011
I saw the title one day and bought the book version of this for my sister as it sounded like an extremely useful book for a mother of four children under the age of 5. She loved it so much that she gave it to me as a gift and my own first-hand experience with the book has led me to gift it to other friends. I give the paperback edition 5 STARS. I live part of the year in the US and the other part of the year in Europe. I thought I'd try the Kindle version of this book to avoid having to lug yet another book with me overseas. How disappointing! No table of contents, no index, the clean organization of the book is lost in the Kindle version where you either have to know the page that you'd like to go to already, search it, or scroll through the whole book to find it. I use this book so often with such good results that my husband often asks me: "Is this another recipe from the miracle book?" What a shame that it will be much more complicated to use in the Kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy, Tasty Meals when you don't have lots of time to cook, April 26, 2010
I really enjoy The Six O'Clock Scramble cookbooks. This latest one incorporates healthy, tasty recipes with keeping our earth clean and healthy. I enjoy being in the kitchen and cooking meals for my kids and my husband that I know will nourish them and will tread lightly on our planet, as well. Truly the best part is that these meals can be ready quickly... when the natives are hungry - they don't want to wait. Some days we don't get home until dinner time - so I'm tempted to just order pizza or run to Taco Bell before we get home.... But I know it's not good for anyone to do that. So I am so happy that I have an alternative. SOS helps me get healthy food into the family in just minutes. I highly recommend SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue. Your family with thank you :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cookbook!, April 22, 2011
Those of you who read my blog know that in addition to my love of reading is my love of cooking and eating. I don't get to review as many cookbooks as I'd like so I was really happy to be invited on Aviva Goldfarb's blog tour for her cookbook SOS! The Six o'Clock Scramble to the Rescue.

I can't tell you how many days I stand in front of the fridge now and try to figure out what to eat. I used to be so good about planning ahead and taking something out but after Buddy got sick that all kind of fell by the wayside. The Six o'Clock Scramble really makes things a lot easier for someone like me as it's all there for me. All I have to do is pick something that sounds good, make sure I have the ingredients and off I go! Best of all the meals are all healthy which is really important for my health and my family's health.

What a terrific cookbook! What I loved about it aside from all the really great recipes was the seasonal produce chart, the vegetarian options, grocery lists for the week (gotten online) and one really great one - the well stocked kitchen list. I can't tell you how often I fall behind on the essentials and then go to make something and it's not there. Very frustrating! I also love the nutritional information along with each recipe as this makes it very easy to be compatible with Weight Watchers. Another thing I noticed with Aviva's cookbook and was very impressed with was the fact that in reading the ingredients in her recipes I recognized all of them and knew I'd actually be able to buy them at my local grocery store.

The cookbook is organized according to seasons which is great. For me, in Canada, we don't have fresh fruit and vegetables during the winter. By fresh I mean something grown by me or bought at a farmer's market so I take advantage of it int the summer months here. Aviva strongly encourages buying fresh and locally when possible and I agree. I only wish I lived somewhere I could do that year round.

So at the beginning of each chapter you have a weekly list of menus and you can get shopping lists for all these recipes online. As well each recipe has a Scramble Flavor Booster, Tips, and Side Dish Suggestions. It really does take all the stress out of making a meal. Throughout the cookbook you'll find tips and hints on growing your own vegetables, tips for staying on schedule, tips on recycling, tips for saving money on your food budget and many, many more. As well there are some personal stories scattered throughout that I thought added a nice touch and ways to get your kids involved in the kitchen too.

There are many, many recipes to suit everyone's likes. I made a few of the recipes - one being Lemon-Parmesan Fusilli with Asparagus and Spinach. There are many of my favorites in this one recipe - first anything pasta is a winner and I loved how easy it was, how healthful and mostly how delicious it turned out to be.

One other dish I made that I'll share with you all was Pan-Fried Polenta with Summer Vegetables. I love polenta and the only thing I changed with this recipe is that I make my own polenta so the recipe took me a bit longer than it would someone using prepared from the store. I'd never tried pan frying the polenta before although I don't know why and then with this recipe you put the fried polenta in a baking dish and top it with a vegetable mix of zucchini, onions, sun-dried tomatoes and tomato sauce and put it under the broiler for a bit. All I can say about this recipe is Yum!!! It too was easy to make and very healthy.

So for the busy mom or otherwise busy individual that's looking to cook healthy meals for your family that are easy and fast , this cookbook is for you and one I'd definitely recommend. No matter how busy you are, if you have a shopping list and a list of menus for the week you can't help but succeed in feeding your family a healthy and tasteful meal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let "kid pleasing" or "busy families" mislead you - this is for everyone!, April 25, 2010
I've subscribed to The Six O'Clock Scramble for years now, and at first I wondered whether the cookbook would prove useful given our subscription to the service. The answer is: DEFINITELY! The cookbook arrived this past week and I am already thrilled. From the list of what fruits and veggies tend to be in season, to the organization of the recipes by season and type, to the mini-articles with helpful hints, it is already worth every cent. We tried a new (to us) recipe out of the book tonight for dinner, and it was out of this world (Empanadas - p32).

Even if there is no "scramble" to get dinner ready in your house, or even if your family consists of just you, this cookbook is highly useful. There is no gambling on these recipes - the noted time to prepare is right on, nutritional info is right next to the recipe, and unlike most cookbooks, there is an exceptionally high rate of truly excellent, and generally company-ready recipes. Each recipe is accompanied by good side dish ideas too. All of this makes meal planning and execution a snap.

Many thanks to Ms. Goldfarb and her family!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired and back in the kitchen, February 8, 2011
I am totally loving the cookbook: been using the recipes about 5 nights a week for 3 or 4 weeks now, and all have been good. Tonight, we had our friends w/a newborn over for dinner (an easy audience if ever there was one; these people just need a drink, sympathetic ears, and someone else to bounce the babe while they scarf food! :), but the mushroom/spinach risotto and maple squash was a rave! I was a bit embarrassed to admit how easy it was to make.

It's given me a new outlook: even when I'm not using Scramble-ized recipes, I have a totally fresh mindset on what is achievable, in reasonable time, in the kitchen. Parents and a toddler happily coexisting and eating the same food = the way it should be! We're eating well and happy; as vegetarians, especially, I am thankful for the options. I'd like to see even more non-fake-meat-dependent veggie recipes in the next version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cookbook for everyone!, April 15, 2010
SMB (Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
I've been a happy Scrambler since 2009 using the online service. I was so excited for her new cookbook to come out as well! Her approach to meal planning and her incredible recipes have made such a difference in my life.

I have a challenging household of eaters, and these recipes work for everyone. I have a very picky eater (age 5) and another child (age 9) that will eat anything. These recipes appeal to both children. Many of the recipes can be tailored to the picky child's needs (like separating the ingredients, or adding sauces later after dishing out his portion). My non-picky eater and my husband think I am the best cook in the world now. I'm also a vegetarian, and the rest of my family isn't, and Aviva includes an incredible number of recipes that either are already vegetarian or can easily be made vegetarian. For her chicken dishes, I'll use Gardein "chicken" for my portion. I no longer struggle to find recipes that appeal to everyone. Some of her recipes may not sound traditionally kid-friendly, but my family loves them. I've learned to trust her.

I'm able to give such a high rating on a new cookbook because her recipes have already been tested on her clients. You can be sure if they made it into the book, many families have already given them their highest ratings. Some, I've even made before and have become family favorites. Don't miss Gnocchi Dokey, Mango and Black Bean Salad, or the Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes. There are too many to list.

I only go to the grocery store once a week now, and we rarely eat out or get take out anymore. Why? Because I have a plan. Even better, we actually eat the leftovers since they are so delicious. We eat so much healthier now and have tried so many new vegetables that I've never known what to do with before.

This cookbook has many sidebars of interesting information as well as her menu plans and recipes. Each plan is divided into seasons, to take advantage of what is in season. If you buy this book, you literally have your meals planned for a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy Life Saver, December 20, 2010
I'm someone who finds it terrifically challenging to keep my family fed. I enjoy cooking when I have all day to wander a farmer's market and prepare some snazzy recipe, which happens exactly NEVER anymore. Time constraints combined with my concerns about our health, the environment and our finances have made cooking dinner into an opportunity for an anxiety attack.

Before I opened this book, I never considered the fact that cookbooks aren't generally written for busy moms (duh). These recipes have short ingredient lists and prep times, plus they're yummy and healthy and arranged by season. Such a relief. There are weekly menu suggestions. Corresponding shopping lists are even available on the website.

I haven't tried it yet, but you can also get a subscription to weekly meal plans, recipes and shopping lists through her website.

Seriously, it's genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many family-pleasing recipes here!, May 10, 2010
Denise (Potomac, MD) - See all my reviews
I have been a Six O'Clock Scramble subscriber for years. Aviva's recipes are family-friendly, healthy, and easy to prepare. The focus in this latest book on creating earth-friendly meals is a welcome help. All suggestions are do-able, not extreme in any way. Our family has enjoyed, among other recipes, the Lemon-Parmesan Fusilli, Melted Sweet Potato Quesadillas, Chicken Parmesan with Garden Herbs, and Baked Risotto with Spinach and Cremini Mushrooms. Yum!

SOS!  The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families
$18.99 $17.09