Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 16, 2013
I love this music sampler. Note: You need to buy the 3.5mm headphone cable to 1/4 inch audio cable adapter (e.g. this one AudioAdapt Quality Headphone Adapter Stereo ) so you can listen to your sampler with headphones.

I love the wide array of effects you can apply, and one of my favorite things is that this sampler has a sensor that lets you wave your hand in the air to apply additional effects. I don't know what the name of the effect is, but my favorite one is when you bring your hand vertically closer to the roland sp-555 sampler, and the treble starts decreasing so you only begin to hear the bass.

Maybe I love it so much because it was my first and only sampler, so I don't know what I'm missing out on? But it is fantastic as a standard sampler with the essential features and a little more.

And as for the reviewer that said you can't apply additional effects - that's true, and for a pro that might be annoying. One workaround (although not super efficient) - is to save the new sound once you apply an effect to it. Then, you can apply a new effect to the recording that already had an effect applied to it. So essentially you are applying an effect on top of an effect.
on June 25, 2015
I knew I was going to enjoy this hardware, but I didn't expect it to be SO intuitive. This is my second piece of equipment in addition to an AKAI MPK mini, I would consider it my first real "big kid" piece. I thought I might be reaching too far with this piece but it fit right in perfectly and transformed my workflow from 0 to 100 lol. Upon opening the box I was intimidated at the site of it. So many buttons, and terminology I had yet to understand, how would I even begin to understand it in less than a few months?? But after reading the manual a bit it all seems to come together so nicely.. I've learned so much about music with it.
I used to cut and create with just mouse, keyboard, and my MPK, it would take hours.. days. I would be grasping onto my inspiration in that time trying not to lose my original plan. The sampling feature works great and the loop capture, easy to cut on the fly and assign to a pad in seconds. Working with Ableton Live is great! This turns my thoughts into reality so fast.. I could go on forever.
on February 24, 2014
I must admit to never using the pattern-sequence mode. Most of the time I keep everything on manual trigger, adjusting the gates/loops/marks to morph the sounds in real time. I must admit to never using the pattern sequencer, and I'd imagine that the midi and USB let it serve different functions in your chain. One of the previous reviews complains that you could have purchased a computer for the same price (I got mine used...) and while this is probably true, composition on Digital Audio Workstations is fundamentally different than on outboard gear and can be twice as rewarding. If you're looking for something tactile and sans-screen, this sampler is great. Software can tediously incentivize more clicking than listening, whereas this sort of gear lets you compose in a more free-associative way. The loop capture is especially useful for collaging the individual pads into new loops, recommend the footswitch for this feature.
on September 16, 2011
It's expensive. I could have just bought another laptop computer!!! What was I thinking?!?!?

Here are my gripes:
1. only ONE effect on ONE sample at a time - - - why?!?! who's idea was that??? If you try to activate an effect on another sample, the effect on the old one automatically deactivates. Totally bogus.
2. manual quantization blows.
3. when you do a live loop capture, and save it to a pad, it forces you to listen to the whole loop as it's transferring over. What if I'm actually doing it live and I don't want the thing I just recorded to randomly play while I'm making music? who's idea was that?!?!
4. optical synth has very limited physical operating range and is EXTREMELY sensitive to motion - like move .5 millimeters and the pitch changes. This makes it impossible to play actual melodies unless you've got superhuman muscle control. You can make intense sounding trilly sweepy melodies, that's all. (It DOES work really nicely as a filter control, however.)
5. the device assumes everything you ever make is in 4/4 time. Why not at least 3/4 as an option??

Here's what I like:
1. making twisted stuff is easy.
2. effects are good quality and great variety. (Why only 1 at a time, AHHHHH!!!)

I feel like the live performance capability is pretty limited. You can't rely on effects to drive your performance since only 1 sample can have an effect at any given moment. You can't really resample live because it always plays the loop you just made as it's storing it to a pad. Basically, you can pre-make sections out of a bunch of samples, and then improvise a song form by triggering them from pads, and add development by doing things like fades and filter sweeps while using your single effect and your hands (optical synth) to improvise on top. Live composition doesn't really seem that possible to me. However, if you've got a ton of awesome and cleverly chosen samples, and plenty of pre-programmed sections, you can definitely get by and make some pretty excellent stuff. -1 star for being limited and somewhat awkward, yet still workable. -2 starts for costing as much as a decent laptop, which, with the right software can do way more than this thing could ever dream to do. p.s. I forgot to mention - the memory card that works for it isnt being made any more. I think that pretty much kills it now that I think about it. after I play with it for a while, I might come back and add a star if all goes well.
on February 16, 2010
to everyone out there this product is so cool and so nice and it does everything it says it will but... the memory on the device is very very limited and the 2gb compactflash card type I that it supports is very hard to find, due because they don't make em no more, there are only 4gb, 8 gb and so on...
Be smart and not dumb (like me) and wait till it can support other types of memory cards, or if you already own one then just go ahead
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2016
I love this thing. Get the compact flashes on here.. loop capture is a breeze made beats in less than 5 mins. I love this thing..
on July 31, 2014