‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent program!, September 10, 2008
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I purchased this for my 7 year old who is in second grade (homeschool). He really loves the workbook and wants to do all the activities for the week in one sitting. The words are not too hard. I can easily see him finishing and moving on to the third grade level before finishing second grade.

Each week has a spelling tip/rule which the words fall under. For those who would like to know. . . the words in the first lesson are fox, cut hill, wind, put, all moon, saw, tell, new (which seem very easy for 2nd grade). Week thirty-five's words are hole, whole, no, know, not, knot, ate eight, to, too, two, right, write, one, won. I think our local public schools did these type of words in 1st grade. My son did not have "formal" spelling last year so I don't mind starting him off with easier words. I've found it is better to start easy and build confidence than to ruin a child's self-esteem with something too hard. I do believe; however, that if your child has already had formal spelling it would be easy to move on to level C and skip level B.

I have tried many spelling programs over the years (with my oldest son) and my children rate this one as the best. It has interesting activities such as crossword puzzles, find the missing letters, proofreading, etc. My favorite part is that each week the child has a short story to read that uses all of the week's spelling words. The stories are usually educational too! If your child enjoys short activities to reinforce what he/she is learning, I believe you will find this program a perfect fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, September 22, 2009
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
We just started using level B for our second grader. Our boy is an excellent reader. He reads a variety of items from Berenstain Bears books (picture and chapter books) to technical explanations (in grown-up books) of how aircraft, trains, and submarines were developed and how they work. I had hoped that spelling would come easily from all that reading. It hasn't.

My boy enjoys the Spelling Workout lessons. They are short and entertaining. He really enjoys the proofreading exercises, which reinforce not only spelling but also punctuation and capitalization rules. The words may seem simple to us as grown-ups, but I have been surprised at some of the words that he has missed on his pre-tests. We are zipping through level B and will probably start level C next semester. We like it so much that we have ordered level A for our five-year-old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great supplement to Spelling!!, June 5, 2010
Moon Flower (GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I saw mixed reviews for Spelling Workout A, but decided to go for it anyways. We started with his book because my daughter is 7 yrs old and does very well with Spelling. When it arrived she had this look on her face like "oh great, another textbook". But, I sat down and did the first Level with her and she was soooo excited! She loves the proofreading section! I think it makes her feel like a teacher grading =) I actually had to make her stop after Level 1 because she wanted to keep going through the next few pages. She even asked if we could continue tomorrow! The next day I asked if she wanted to start with Math or Spelling for the day (Math is her favorite subject and we always start with that, so I figured I knew what was coming), and believe it or not she said Spelling! She was so excited to start and smiling through the whole thing. Activities are short, which is great because they're not so long that the child gets frustrated and bored. It's long enough that they get excited and have fun, but short enough to keep their interest. We currently work with Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise and I use the words in that book as her Spelling words. This book is a great supplement for that. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE This!!!!!!!, October 4, 2012
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
These books are so great!!!!! We used Level A and Level B last year. My child did really well with this. We started with Level A as we needed some remedial work (which was very successful). Each less starts with a short story (about a page) that is reading level approriate--these range from informative to funny and are very engaging. Each lesson is organized around a phonics rule. The workbook portions are NOT busy work; they actually helped my child grow spelling and reasoning skills. Based on the two books we have used, this is the best system available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Homeschool curriculum, September 3, 2012
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
This curriculum works well for us. Not everyone may be looking for the same things; but, we like:
-The variety exercises that come with each spelling list
-The simplicity of instruction
-The organization of spelling 'rules' that each list is based on.
Dislikes:
-Each spelling list could use some more explanation of the spelling 'rules' for each list (ex: long vowel sound when word ends with 'e')
-Writing exercise provides to small a space (we just use a separate sheet of paper)

Note: There is a fair amount of writing, if your child struggles with handwriting you may want to adapt some of the exercises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Spelling Serires, September 7, 2009
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
Spelling Workout is a good series for spelling. Both of my kids have done very well with it and they have become good spellers. My only criticism is the writing section at the end. I don't think that they are very helpful. I think that they are too difficult to complete for young kids in just a sentence or two (all you have room for). Also, as a believer in the classical model, I think they are just a bit too contrived at times. I would much prefer a dictation type section or copywork to practice correct grammar and spelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and organized, March 12, 2013
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
The book includes instructional word lists. so much more is included here than the current mode of thematic word lists with rote memorization of spelling without regard to he rules of how we spell. It discusses how the word list relates and then offers ample time to practice. Assessments are provided at the end of units. Midway through this book, which is about the 2nd or 3rd grade, the handwriting models switch from manuscript to cursive. We purchased this as a mid-year change and started in the middle of the book. My daughter calls it goldfish spelling and enjoys our spelling time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, January 6, 2014
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
Great resource - possibly a bit too easy for what I needed. Good content but some sections are just too simple

5.0 out of 5 stars So far...so good...BETTER than anything else we've tried!, March 31, 2009
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
So far, we've enjoyed this spelling curriculum. My son is 7 and he doesn't like a lot of "bells and whistles". This is to the point but holds his interest with pictures and a mix-up of activities in each lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool, April 2, 2008
C. Reich (Heidelberg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
This was recommended by another home school parent and it is a good book for our child.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION
SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL B PUPIL EDITION by MODERN CURRICULUM PRESS (Paperback - September 17, 2001)
$14.31