5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Spelling Program
Published on November 2, 2009 by M. Massey

3.0 out of 5 stars Still looking for a better program
I was hoping for a more comprehensive spelling program. I did not realize when I purchased this that there was a seperate teacher's edition, that I have yet to be able to find. The words in this volume are more 2nd and 3rd grade level.
Published on March 19, 2012 by fgjay

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Spelling Program, November 2, 2009
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I homeschool and have been through many spelling programs that don't give much practice. This program is a wonderful find that incorporates a reading section with spelling words, practice activities, a written passage to correct (with proofreading marks taught along the way), and a writing prompt. I currently use this for my 3rd grader who is a bit advanced in spelling. She never complains about spelling lessons, and gets 100% on all 20 words each week. I can't praise this series enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - a welcome change from Sequential Spelling for our family, June 21, 2011
BeachyMum (Sorrento, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
We've been using Sequential Spelling with a (mildly) dyslexic child for about a year now. While I *do* think that's a good program, it is very repetitive (in a tiresome way) for both the parent and child, and my own experience is that it didn't foster any independent learning. Additionally, SS required a full 30 minutes for each lesson and with four children that would clearly be a prohibitive program.

I read recommendations for this on the Well-Trained Mind forums, and absolutely love it. There are a range of activities to complete each week, and those vary so that the work doesn't become boring. My two children who will be using this program next year were excited upon reviewing the pages as there are crossword puzzles and other things that are appealing to a child. I did also purchase the Instructor's Guides and found them worthwhile, particularly with the scheduling and philosophy behind the program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice spelling book, January 20, 2008
Rose (Southeast, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
This is a traditional spelling book. There is a list of words for the lesson and worksheets to reinforce the spelling rules. There's reviews so that past lessons aren't forgotten. I bought this book because I like the other levels in the series.

This books fill the need for spelling. I'm still looking for spelling books that are a little more challenging, but until then I'm happy with Spelling Workout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still looking for a better program, March 19, 2012
fgjay "Lyrczangel" (Clearwater, FL USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Spelling Program, September 25, 2010
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
This is a very complete spelling book. I like the exercises that accompany the lists. I also take the lists and make up some of my own exercises. It's simple and the words are practical. We love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spelling Workout D, August 6, 2011
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
We have used the Spelling workout series now for 2 years with our two daughters. For a subject that does not lend itself well to interesting work, this series isn't bad. My girls don't complain about the work. The book allows the work to be divided into very manageable daily sections that can be completed independently. There is enough repetition of the material that they learn the spelling without any outside studying of a list of words. We finish each unit Monday-Thurday then they have a test on Friday over the spelling list. Rarely do they score less than 100%. My fifth grader used Level F; my third grader, Level D. On Iowa Tests, they both have scored 99%ile for their respective grades in spelling, so I think it's working so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, May 12, 2014
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I ordered this book because my daughter's school does not "officially" teaching Spelling. While she is an average speller, she used to be much better, so I wanted to encourage growth in this area. I had no idea when I ordered this Spelling book for my daughter that she would struggle while attempting to read the spelling words because they are written in cursive. Modern Curriculum Press apparently does not know that cursive is NOT being taught by many public schools, and with an emphasis on technology and testing, there is little at-home time for me to teach this. Additionally, the exercises are, quite frankly, more tedious work than anything else; the directions are not always clear, and some answers are abiguous. My child has not enjoyed this book. In fact, it has been set aside for us to re-visit this summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a 'book learner', February 21, 2013
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I homeschool 3 children with different learning styles. 1 loves to read and explore, one likes to 'complete workbooks' and another is very tactile. This spelling program is great for the one who loves workbooks. There is a scheduled sequence to each spelling list, and she is able to predict each day, as well as a spelling 'test' at the end of each week. I don't ever recommend just one curriculum for every child, so always know your child's best learning style before purchasing. This would bore my oldest daughter to tears!

4.0 out of 5 stars Same great standards., December 20, 2013
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
It has a long word list. I like that it is building my girl's spelling muscles. However, they are all in cursive which is a little difficult for her to read (she has a robust vocabulary but has not mastered reading in cursive and now a days, not sure if that is a necessary skill).

4.0 out of 5 stars Spelling Workout, February 16, 2011
This review is from: SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my 5th grader, he has a learning disability, and I really think it will help with his Spelling. I like that the first part of the lesson is a story, and the last part is a proofreading exercise. My only complaint is I would like more of these particular exercises. I would think that for us (homeschoolers) we will still have to add in some additional exercises/practice.

SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION
SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL D PUPIL EDITION by MODERN CURRICULUM PRESS (Paperback - July 27, 2001)
$14.03