4.0 out of 5 stars A parent's review -- hooked me again!
All righty.

Book 1 was left with an unfinished feeling, and not much happened. I picked up Book 2 thinking the plot would develop... and it did get slightly more interesting, with some of the characters becoming a little more understandable... but I think I am on the hook for Book 3 now.

Cute illustrations, lots of advertising slogans. Not much...
Published on April 5, 2011 by M. Heiss

2.0 out of 5 stars the series doesn't make that much sense
Published on July 29, 2012 by Mary Lavers

4.0 out of 5 stars A parent's review -- hooked me again!, April 5, 2011
All righty.

Cute illustrations, lots of advertising slogans. Not much plot. No objectionable language. Some vulgar humor (vomit). There's nothing here my kids shouldn't read... but there's nothing much here for my kids TO READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Followup!, December 19, 2010
Craig (Rockton, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz) (Hardcover)
I received an advanced copy of the book and loved it! The SPHDZ are on the move in this book and if you have not read the first book you really should. In this book Micheal K. struggles with a new deadline for the amount of Spaceheadz, but luckily they have two new friends who change the entire approach. Poor Agent Umber continues to struggle, but always Looks up! The reader will also get to see Bob and Jennifer's earth base! I cannot wait to get my regular copy to see the finished art! 95/100 rating from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a SPHDZ!, December 24, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz) (Hardcover)
You need to read the first book to understand the second. There are very small 41 chapters with a 21a and 741 chapter. It has some websites like book 1. In this book Michael K. and three spaceheadz aliens (Bob, Jennifer, and a hamster Major Fluffy)are trying to get 3.14 million and one Earth people (the spaceheadz say persons) to become spaceheadz or else the Earth gets turned off. Two other fifth graders named Venus and TJ join the campaign to sign up SPHDZ. Agent Umber from the Anti Alien Agency (AAA for short) is still trying to track down the spaceheadz. It's up to Michael K., Venus, TJ, and the spaceheadz to stop Agent Umber and stop the world from being turned off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, December 19, 2013
This is a really
good book kids 7 and up should read this book and you should check out 3 and 4

5.0 out of 5 stars gift for my son, January 28, 2013
This review is from: SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz) (Hardcover)
My 10 year-old son loved this book, along with the other in the series. We're hoping #3 is published soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars #2 is Good Goo!, September 3, 2012
SPHDZ #2 takes up right were #1 left off. Still in the same old cafeteria in the same old school. Michael K gets the gang into a job of helping out the Kindergarten class with a play about Little Red Riding Hood, we learn about just how old the SPHDZ really are, and of course the AAA agent is still on their trail. Will they escape the wily AAA? Will enough people sign up on the official SPHDZ website? Will reviewers ever stop writing silly questions? Confused? You won't be after reading SPHDZ #2!

2.0 out of 5 stars the series doesn't make that much sense, July 29, 2012
I thought by the second book things would start making a little more sense, but not really. And the different fonts all over the place are just manic. Do kids like that? I admit, I only read this book because I had agreed to review Spaceheadz: Book#3 and it made NO sense without reading the first two. Then again, the series doesn't make that much sense as it is. Am I too old, or am I just meant to be more easily impressed?

For more reviews, please visit my blog, CozyLittleBookJournal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eekeekeek, January 9, 2012
I bought these as gifts and I have three rave reviews from mothers and boys ( and my daughter). 7yr olds can read it, 10 year olds still like it, and parents will get caught up in the humor! A great read-together book! Major Fluffy the hamster is our favorite- we all speak hamster now!!! Eek eek meekeek !

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious sequel to the first SPHDZ book, February 4, 2011
KidsReads (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz) (Hardcover)
Fifth-grader Michael K.'s quest to save Earth from being "turned off" (losing television, radio and the Internet) continues in another zany and unique book filled with striking illustrations and interspersed with the woeful tales of Agent Umber. The blundering Umber is part of the AAA (Anti-Alien Agency) and manages to be both pitiable and endearing as he strives to uncover space invaders among us.

Michael K. now has help, since he can't resist telling his fellow students, Venus and TJ, about the aliens masquerading as students (the advertisement-jingle-spouting Bob and Jennifer, and their cohort hamster, Major Fluffy). Naturally enough, Venus and TJ are skeptical at first. Venus, claiming to be a scientist, demands proof. But as Michael K. ponders the impossibility of proving what he knows to be fact, one of the playground pranksters lobs a blob of blueberry yogurt that lands on Jennifer's shoe. What happens then persuades Venus and TJ that they are indeed dealing with aliens.

They're not the only ones to notice the significant electric event that occurred as a result of the blue blob on Jennifer's shoe. AAA agent Hot Magenta has picked it up on her monitors. She lets the Chief know, hoping to be assigned to investigate. But to her chagrin, the case is passed to the incredibly inept Agent Umber.

Umber is on the case! Which means he can leave his current job (which involves being dressed as a giant chicken to advertise for a fast food restaurant). Now he can Save the World...or at least try to in his own unforgettable fashion, involving bad judgment and the weirdest possible disguises.

Meanwhile, Michael K. and his friends must pick their "Big Buddies" project. Michael K. chooses the one that seems like it will be the easiest: "Kindergarten Play." Alas, this does not mean "play with the tiny students in kindergarten." No, it actually means "help put on the kindergarten class's play," which is scheduled for the parent-student-teacher meeting the next evening. While Jennifer and Bob spout more advertising slogans, they are all assigned by the kindergarten teacher to play parts in "Red Riding Hood." Jennifer is delighted to be Granny, and Bob is ecstatic about playing a Woodland Creature, but Michael K. is not thrilled to have to dress up like the Big Bad Wolf.

He knows that an AAA agent is close on his heels. How will they manage to get millions of new Spaceheadz, hide out from the agent, and fulfill their Big Buddies obligations? Could Earth be doomed after all, in spite of his best intentions? His worries are amped up when he gets some terrible news: they need to gather their total of 3.4 million and one Spaceheadz in one hour. Around this time, Venus uses some mathematical formulas to relieve Michael K.'s panic attack --- while also explaining (at least partly) the zaniness of Jennifer and Bob. After the most unforgettable kindergarten play ever, the story concludes with quite the intriguing scene starring the AAA chief.

Readers who enjoy off-the-wall humor, including bumbling agents with slapstick moves, hilarious illustrations, and ticking-clock, save-the-world plots, will love this second entry in Jon Scieszka's unique science fiction series.

--- Reviewed by Terry Miller Shannon

SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz)
SPHDZ Book #2! (Spaceheadz) by Jon Scieszka (Hardcover - December 21, 2010)
$14.99 $12.93