Customer Discussions > House of Leaves forum

SPOILER! - Question: The ship and the baby

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2009 2:05:11 PM PDT
V. Hoffmann says:
I just finished reading this book and I thought it was really ingenious and creative. I have two questions though.
1) What was the story with the ship about? The guy stuck in the darkness of the ship next to a crate with stuff that could've prevented the explosion?
2) What was the last story about, the baby dying? Was he imagining what it would've been like if he had died at birth? Was it a hint that he committed suicide?
I'd be happy if anyone had any theories. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 3:09:24 PM PDT
G. Donahue says:
I don't know about the ship, but the baby could be a metaphor for the book itself. Throughout the novel, Johnny acknowledges the inferiority of both Zampano's creation and his own annotations. The baby has holes in its brain and can't live off life support, just as the book is riddled with unanswered questions and can't truly function as a novel on its own. Note, also, that the baby's death is the last thing that happens in Johnny's part of the text; just as the book comes to an end, so does its metaphor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  House of Leaves forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
HOUSE OF LEAVES.
HOUSE OF LEAVES. by Mark Z. Danielewski (Paperback - 2000)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (943)