SPOILER! But I have a question... I completely interpreted the ending that Leisel and Max found each other and went off to Australia and had a family. My wife and daughter both read the book and think I'm crazy.

Did anyone else read it this way?
Loved the book, by the way.
asked by HardyBoy64 on August 7, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 answers
A
I think it was absolutely open to that interpretation... especially when Liesel at the end was thinking of all the people she'd loved in her life, mentioned her husband, her kids, and various people she'd known in Germany... excluding Max. Implying that he was mentioned elsewhere.

Oh, these ambiguous endings....
E. Smiley answered on August 9, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You might be crazy, but I like the way you think!
Susan H. Duncan answered on August 7, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I interpreted it exactly the same way. At least, I have my fingers crossed. :)
Julia E. Slotnick answered on August 8, 2009

A
Max returned from camp and met Leisel in Rudy's fathers shop.
SS BookLover answered on November 11, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I also thought that Max returned from the camp. Do you think that since the author mentions Sydney, Australia, in his acknowledgments and that Death found Liesel in Sydney, there is some sort of connection with the author? Who are Lisa and Helmut Zusak? Are their stories part of the book? Just curious...
grad student answered on August 26, 2009

A
just saying.

death said he only saw the book thief three times. if she had married max and he had died before her then wouldn't death have seen her again? I think so. Therefore not max. QED

also, death is the handover man
Ethan answered on March 26, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would LOVE to think that Leisel and Max emigrated to Australia together - and perhaps taught creative writing and boxing. :-)
Kate Tadman-Mourby answered on January 11, 2010

A
Oh gosh-I finished the obook a week ago (loved it) and have been puzzling over the ending ever since. I believed she married Max, only 10 years older than she, who survived the camps, but it was not explicitedly said. I loved the book and the quirky writing, the characters and death I am so glad I camae here in search of the answer to my question.
Carol W. Fuller answered on February 24, 2010

A
um... just saying. isnt liesel like 13? and max is referred to as a man. so yeah i really don't think that is what happened. it would be a bit strange in my opinon
Ethan answered on July 5, 2010

A
I just finished reading this book today, and that's what I thought/hoped too!! Precisely because of the part E. Smiley mentioned. How would she NOT think of Max, unless he had already been mentioned as "her husband"??

Kristan
Author of Twenty-Somewhere
kristanhoffman.com - writing dreams into reality
Kristan Hoffman answered on February 23, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product