Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 5, 2012
This book is more of a travelogue of food and wine and the Roman roads rather than a cookbook. The authors write of their travels in northern and central Italy, their descriptions are interesting, maps of the regions are included. Their introduction is appealing as are their accounts of wine, food and the recipes they include. Pictures are incorporated of the sights, people and food.

There are recipes in here; but they are for the more adventuresome chef and diner. The dishes are not for beginning cooks, the recipes and ingredients can be complicated. Many of the recipes have ingredients such as; rabbit liver, pig ears, ox tails, lamb belly, truffles, suckling pig belly or squid ink
Strangely the techniques and methods are in the back of the book, but tips and methods such as how to clean mushrooms, making dough and pasta, stove top smoking, egg wash are given. Our family has enjoyed spaghetti with shrimp and tomato passatina, egg in the hole with mushrooms and miner's lettuce and barlo beef with carrots and new potatoes.

This is a book that adventurous chefs with a desire to make some different Italian dishes than one normally finds in cookbooks would appreciate.
on July 25, 2015
I have several cookbooks for different cuisine (e.g., French, Mediterranean, etc.) and have made some very nice meals from them. However, this SPQR is NOT for the "Home" Chef! You have basically be an Executive Chef somewhere in order to make most of the dishes!!
on November 14, 2012
This is a beautiful book that was obviously created with a lot of passion. My husband and I love cooking and we don't mind some work to find special ingredients etc. but this book is mostly filled with recipes with hard to get ingredients and it feels - exclusive, rather than inclusive in its tone. We love Italian food more in the old world peasant style I guess. The "modern" in the title should have been a clue. We bought it because of the few recipes that were posted online with ingredients that are obtainable (shrimp, sardines) but it turns out these are almost the only recipes in the book with readily available ingredients. We ended up returning it.
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2013
Great book and lots of information but its 3/4 wine chapters. Can be a dry read but very educational on northern Italian wine making and varietals. I wish it had more food and recipes in it but good purchase none the less
on February 22, 2015
Authentic recipes with easy to to follow instructions. Reads like a travel guide of all the regions and every Appia you have ever wanted to see and travel. I even bought a copy for my friends who are as much in love with Italy as I am.
on October 31, 2014
Great book with beautiful photos, incredible recipes. I am not a chef but appreciate the time and effort needed to prepare the food. Fabulous restaurant in San Francisco. Great team and sommelier managing SPQR, A16 SF and A16 Rockridge. Thank goodness we live in the Bay Area to enjoy the food prepared for us!
on January 6, 2015
Read this to experience and help create for yourself the amazing creative spirit and loving attention to food and customer service behind the best restaurant in San francisco!
on March 16, 2016
Best Cook Book Ever. Approaches the history of the region that inspires the food and introduces traditional preparation practices.
on December 28, 2015
Some really great creative ideas here, and excellent background info on food and wine from the different regions.
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2012
I've heard the expression "all roads lead to Rome" throughout my life, considering it a figurative statement. The introduction to this book explains the importance of the roads to the history and culture of Italy, then the text meanders along the roads describing the food and wine to be encountered on the journeys. The recipes given in the book are, for the most part, esoteric in the extreme, containing ingredients such as verjus, fennel pollen, and Activa RM, and are not the type of dishes to throw together for unexpected guests.

This book was a gift from a nephew who heard me say that SPQR is the best restaurant along restaurant-heavy Fillmore Street (and beyond). The two meals I've encountered there are among the best I've ever eaten. This is why I'd be willing to seek out the verjus and collect the fennel flowers that we consider weeds that grow along urban fences. In the meantime, I'll continue to read, select a few recipes, enjoy the exquisite photographs, and seek out a glass of Pagadebit.