4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet ... really quiet
Bought this for the TV room in our basement. Our old dehumidifier was loud enough that it disrupted our TV watching experience ... it also made the room very hot. The SD-014V is significantly quieter and doesn't generate nearly the same amount of heat keeping the room much more comfortable. It mostly does what I expected it to do.

Pros:

* Quiet...
Published 18 months ago by Not a Squirrel

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and works, but can be expensive to run.
Published 10 months ago by Graphic Fusion

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and works, but can be expensive to run., February 1, 2014
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
Update 2/3/2014: We actually bought two of these units. The first one, described below, works fine. The fan in the second one stopped running when set to medium speed. The heating element would run, but without any air movement to cool it. I shut it down very soon after discovering the problem. I would HOPE there is some sort of thermal breaker to shut down the unit in this scenario before it starts smoking/burning. I am returning the second unit for a replacement. Kudos to Amazon for its pain-free replacement policies. However, SPT lost a star in my rating. Again, the working unit is described below:

-------------------------------

We bought this unit to dehumidify a 20' x 20', masonry workshop. Humidity is always a problem in the workshop. During the summer we run a compressor-type dehumidifier, but the workshop is only heated enough to keep pipes from freezing in the winter. At those temperatures, we can't run our compressor-type dehumidifier, and humidity runs in excess of 70%. We saw this device as being useful for putting just a tiny bit of heat in the building (for the water pipes), while staying on top of the humidity problem. And for this purpose it seems to be working very well. I pulled out a gallon of water and dropped the RH by about 10% after one day of running on medium speed (45 degF, 70% RH initially). I'm satisfied with that. We would have used the energy anyway with an electric space heater, but the dehumidifier gives us an additional return in the form of much-needed dehumidification. Win-win.

That said, it's not the most efficient device in the world. If you can run a dehumidifier in higher temperature air and don't mind the noise of a compressor-type humidifier, you can pull out MUCH more significant quantities of water in shorter time with the same electricity. How efficient is this dehumidifier? These are my test results:

Low speed, 55% RH, 50 degF: Pulled out 33 ml of water in 1 hr with 0.28 kWh of electricity, for a dehumidification cost of 8.48 kWh/L ($1.18 per liter of water where we live -- electricity priced at 14 cents per kWh).

Medium speed, 55% RH, 50 degF: Pulled out 85 ml of water in 1 hr with 0.34 kWh of electricity, for a dehumidification cost of 4.00 kWh/L ($0.48 per liter of water). This was the most efficient setting.

High speed, 55% RH, 49 degF: Pulled out 120 ml of water in 1 hr with 0.61 kWh of electricity, for a dehumidification cost of 5.13 kWh/L ($0.72 per liter of water).

And then in the overnight test in the workshop, medium speed, 45 degF, 70% RH, roughly a day (maybe more) of run-time, 10.65 kWh to extract 3.5 L of water, for a total efficiency of 3.04 kWh/L ($0.42 per liter of water). RH dropped by perhaps 10%, according to the humidity indicator card I keep hanging from the ceiling fan.

I can see how this dehumidifier would also be very useful inside a living space. At even the high speed setting, the unit is far, far quieter than a compressor dehumidifier. It is quieter than my computer fans on medium speed, the most efficient setting. I frankly wouldn't bother with low speed, but if you do, it's impressively whisper-quiet on that setting.

I can also see this dehumidifier used in a boat during the winter. It would throw off just enough heat to keep our 31' sailboat from icing up, and it would keep the cabin dry. The drain tube could be run to the bilge, where the condensate would be ejected by the bilge pumps. We might try that in the future.

For other uses (e.g. basement), you're better off with a compressor-type dehumidifier if the temperature is high enough to run one.

The humidistat seems rather inaccurate, as the unit would not run in the 50% RH mode when the humidity was around 70%. In the 40% RH mode, it would begin to run. I just switched to manual.

Our unit makes a short, tiny squeak whenever the desiccant wheel makes a complete revolution (once in approx. 2 min). It's not annoying, but I do notice it. You can also smell the heating element at times. It's not an obnoxious smell, but it's there.

The unit is attractive and well made. I love the innovative design, and part of the reason I purchased it was to reverse engineer it. It is a very affordable example of an adsorption dehumidifier, and it is unique in this market. I hope to design a whole-house adsorption dehumidifier from silica gel (cheapest = silica gel cat litter), using convective airflow from a solar chimney to dehumidify the media. By far the largest power draw from the SPT dehumidifier is the heating element, and a solar chimney design would eliminate that energy cost. But for now, for what we're doing, this SPT dehumidifier is a very clever little unit that fills a niche in our humidity control strategy. Oh, and for all it's worth, I didn't give it 5 stars only because of the inefficiency of the technology. If energy were free, and if there were no such thing as global warming, heck, I'd give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet ... really quiet, June 19, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)

Pros:

* Quiet ... really quiet. Just the sound of a small fan and periodic gurgling as water drains.
* Not a heat generator. Unlike most other dehumidifiers it doesn't act like a heating unit (unless you want it to). The room remains comfortable.

Cons:

* Not a power house. It extracts water from the room but its not what you want for a large or particularly humid area.
* The humidity level sensor seems to keep the room more humid than my hygrometer would suggest. This seems to be a problem with all my dehumidifiers so not a big ding but would be nice to have a dehumidifier with an accurate humidity sensor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, but slow, July 3, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
Quiet as advertised, but slow to remove water from the air (which to be fair, is listed in the product specs). Also the fan cycles (high/low) quite a bit and that's the noisiest part of the device.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well, October 10, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
There's no BUT, I'm just reluctant to give it a 5star because I've only had it for a month. It works well in a 1000sq ft apt and extremely well in a room. Too well. Way too dry and hot. Humidity at 70%, gets dropped to 46% by the end of the day or so. Maybe a little longer. Regardless, it's tank fills up in a day if left on in high humidity. I just truly hope that it lasts at least a few seasons.
Quieter by far. Puts out a little funny smell at times. But I definitely prefer it to the compressor kind. It's expensive though but effective, quiet on low and puts out a little less heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my storage room free of mold & mildew and above freezing in winter, August 20, 2014
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
We have a 40 sq ft storage room on the back of our house, and everything in it got thoroughly moldy before adding this dehumidifier. We had to clean the whole room and its contents first. By the time we finished, the dehumidifier arrived. I had purposefully searched for one that would add heat to the room and was delighted to find this Sunpentown SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier. It is probably overkill for dehumidifying such a small room, but it has all the features that allow me to ignore it: drain to outside (I drilled a small hole at the base of the wall and pushed a clear drainage hose through), automatic restart after power to home fails and returns, capacity to dehumidify down to 40%, and the ability to add heat to the room as it heats the desiccant. That was important because I didn't want the contents of the room to freeze in winter. I bought a humidity and temperature monitor, and the room stayed at about 39 % humidity and barely above freezing when outdoor temps dropped to single digits. The room made it through a hard winter! However, all the heat it produced meant the room was like a dry sauna in summer, with temps going as high as 103 degrees F. when it was in the 90's outside. So, I had to buy another dehumidifier for the summer that operates with a compressor, drains to the outside, and has automatic restart--the Frigidaire FAD301NWD Energy Star 30-Pint Dehumidifier fits the bill. It needs to stay above 40 degrees F, so I'll switch back to the Sunpentown in the fall. I'm not rating the Sunpentown down for heating in the summer. That's how it is meant to operate, producing heat to dry the desiccant, and I'm so glad this new design was available when I needed it last fall. Both dehumidifiers are a sleek white and take up about the same amount of room. The Frigidaire's drain is a bit higher on the machine, making drainage a little easier. Also, I used two pieces of masking tape to keep the Sunpentown drainage container closed, as it could easily be pushed out if you pushed the drainage hose, making the machine stop; I didn't want to have to check it if someone else used the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, August 29, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
I was looking for a dehumidifier for a small room that became very over heated with a traditional dehumidifier. The desiccant system takes the humidity out of the air and creates significantly less heat. Only minor problem has been that the hose/tank connection is easily disconnected. A very good product so far. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, December 17, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
Perfect for our guest room what has a humidity problem. Very quiet. Warms the room in the winter, too. We might buy more for other rooms in the house.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Auto" mode is annoying, November 18, 2013
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
Returned mine because the "auto" mode constantly flickered between the low and medium settings on occasion, making a distinctive, annoying beeping noise each time. This also uses a lot more energy than I expected (it drove my energy bill up by ~$40 that month), but I imagine that's the case with most dehumidifiers of this size. I will admit it is very effective: it brought down my RH to 30-40% from the usual average of 50-60% or higher. I'm considering getting another one from Frigidaire if I can stomach the energy costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend this dehumidifier to anyone, October 21, 2014
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
I made a huge mistake purchasing this dehumidifier over a more traditional style. For starters, though the machine's fan actually ran fairly quietly, it would make a constant clicking noise as if it were stuck between switching on and off. Then, after about 11 months of use, it just started overheating and turning itself off. I may have received a faulty unit, but at any rate, I wouldn't recommend this dehumidifier to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps moisture down, August 3, 2014
This review is from: SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier (Misc.)
Works well. Replacing the same exact one not due to a problem, but because someone knocked our old one over and cracked the tank. Good unit being used in a basement area.

SPT SD-014V Desiccant Dehumidifier