Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SPT Countertop Dishwasher, Silver
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Silver|Change

on October 27, 2011
This dishwasher is absolutely wonderful. Was easy to set up (except be sure to push the washer arm down into place - mine had come out in shipping despite being very well packaged, no biggie). I can't believe how many dishes fit and get washed so thoroughly in this little thing! It does a perfect job of washing dishes. The hose goes on & off the faucet with ease in 2 seconds using their supplied adaptor. Seems very sturdy and well made. My only complaint was that the instructions tell you to be sure to use dishwasher detergent "with chemicals". This is ridiculous - you can now purchase natural dishwasher detergent at most health food stores, and the one I am using works like a charm (Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Detergent). My kitchen is tiny but this guy fits perfectly between counter and cupboard. I can't believe I waited so long to get a dishwasher, what a time saver!!!

Update after using it daily for over 3 years: Love it even more!!! I have never had a single problem with it. Completely dependable and does a great job cleaning my dishes. Still using the natural dishwasher detergent with excellent results.
1313 comments| 493 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
My dislike of doing dishes turned most of the counter space of my small Manhattan kitchen into physics-defying stacks of procrastination. This countertop dishwasher takes up about 60% of usable counter space in my apartment, a sacrifice I'm willing to make but for city dwellers, definitely measure it out.

This unit is perfect for one to two people. My loaner husband no longer lives next door to me so I was apprehensive about installing the faucet adaptor myself, turns out it was a cinch. I found a helpful video online which showed the tool I needed to get: [...]

Normally I don't read manuals, this one I read cover to cover. Some of the typos and wording are good for a laugh and its focus is on how to load a hypothetically uniform set of dishes no one actually owns. Fortunately, the Amazon community helped me fill in the blanks, I'm very grateful for their assistance. Here's what I learned from them and from using the machine:

1. Turn on your hot water all the way when you've got it set up and are ready to run it. The cold water will tax the motor.

2. If you're using Cascade Complete gel packs, those go in the detergent compartment on the door. There's a little basket on the left side that's for dishwashing tablets. The reason I like the Cascade Complete Gel Packs is it's got everything in it, including the rinse agent that keeps your glasses from streaking.

3. You don't have to stress out if you don't turn the faucet off immediately after the cycle is done. Water won't continue to run. I mean, I wouldn't go on vacation without turning off the faucet but you don't have to obsess that there's going to be some water pressure build-up that's going to shoot your shiny new countertop dishwasher into space if you're absorbed in another activity.

4. It doesn't dry plastic, but does dry my plates and pots. A few times I rinsed a couple of dishes again, they were super shiny so I was suspicious maybe the Cascade Gel Pack left some residue, so basically I ran them under water again because they looked too clean, starting to worry that I have trust issues.

5. The packaging is so sturdy, Wile E. Coyote could have dropped an anvil on it and it would have been fine. I've received mutilated deliveries from other companies with everything from footprints on top of the box to holes where the fork lift went through it. This can withstand whatever fury the delivery company dishes out.

6. The adaptor on your faucet takes getting used to. It produces a very strong stream of water so you only need to turn your faucet on a little to use it. I've already had a few accidental wet t-shirt contests but the good news is I won.

7. It's very quiet. Sometimes too quiet, I get paranoid it's not running but it is, it's just using its indoor voice. There's about a minute total where there's audible noise.

8. The hoses that connect from the unit to the faucet are annoyingly stiff. It's good to know that it's not going to spring a leak any time in the near future but I have to figure out some hook system to make them less obtrusive.

9. There's a plastic warning in the manual and one of my Tupperware lids didn't make it. It was probably eighteen years old so it lived a good life. I've washed plenty of other plastic items that made it out just fine.

10. Don't forget to turn the power on the dishwasher off before you unload it. If you don't, it makes this annoying beeping sound that the manual describes as "mooing". I assure you, there are no barnyard sounds with this machine.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I would give it 4 and 3/4 stars because of the hose, amount of counter space it takes up and its not drying everything 100% completely. It's not perfect, but it's very close and what more could a girl ask for.
1515 comments| 478 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2011
I have had this dishwasher only a week. I am using in it from Walmart - The Great Value Dishwasher Powder and The Great Value Rinse Agent.

This dishwasher appears to be very well made but, as I said I have only had it a week and time will tell how durable it really is.

As for cleaning a large load of dishes this dishwasher does an outstanding job! Does it hold up to six place settings? Everybody's dishes are different and it holds about four and then some for me. For those of you who are wondering if this washer drains the water by gravity or it is pumped out I believe it is pumped out but, I could not find any documentation on this. Very easy to hookup to you kitchen faucet. Does a great job drying the dishes.

Update 10/26/2011: Dishwasher performs perfectly! Here are some additional thoughts - It says it in the directions that come with the dishwasher but make sure you add your dishwasher powder just before you start the wash not 2 hours earlier or it will harden.

Update: 10/2/2013 Still works as great as the day I got it.

Update: 10/10/2014 Still works as great as the day I got it.
review image review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 526 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2013
I HATE doing dishes. It's probably my least favorite chore, and two years in an apartment without a dishwasher was torture. I finally caved and decided to buy one. The only kind within my budget and size restrictions was a countertop dishwasher, and after a little research I chose this one. I bought it over a year ago, and wanted to wait a while before reviewing to see how well it held up over time. The short story is that I absolutely love it, and really have no complaints. Here are some details:
-Setup was fairly simple, but I did have to have my brother lift it onto the counter (I'm not very strong). Otherwise, putting the few pieces together was a snap.
-I was concerned about taking the attachment on and off the faucet, but it is extremely easy and only takes a second.
-My water comes out very hot in my apartment, so I've never had an issue but I would make sure the water is hot for use.
-The booklet/manual that comes with the dishwasher is actually very helpful, and I use it quite a bit.
-If you overload or load things right next to each other, sometimes dishes will not get fully clean. However, this is true with any dishwasher. I have found that you can get creative with what you put in and how. Don't be afraid to experiment.
-I have washed everything from tupperware to heavy pots and pans with success.
-If you let food dry on dishes, it may not come off if you just put it in without presoaking/scrubbing. If you put dishes in immediately and just scrape excess food off before hand, they get squeaky clean. No pre-scrubbing needed.
-It's never broken down.
-Easy to clean.
-It runs quietly, and beeps when it's finished.
-TURN OFF THE FAUCET BEFORE DETACHING THE HOSE. May seem like common sense, but common sense hasn't stopped me from being sprayed in the face a couple times...
-The setting I generally use takes about an hour and a half to finish.

Honestly, I have said numerous times this dishwasher was the best $250 I ever spent in my life. I use it all the time, and it makes my life so much easier.
review image
22 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2016
Happy Holidays to Me!!! This was my gift to myself when I came into some unexpected cash. It arrived on 12/29/15. It's brand new and so I will come back and update after I've had it for a while, but here are my thoughts and observations so far...

The Outer box did have a gouge in it, but the inner box was in perfect condition and the unit itself is well protected. The unit was in perfect condition coming out of the box.

So far I love my new SPT countertop dishwasher. I've had full sized dishwashers in the past and I've lived in situations where I had to hand-wash dishes. Like most people, I prefer a dishwasher partly because doing dishes is a chore and partly because a dishwasher just gets the dishes cleaner than you ever will doing them by hand. I've been hand-washing for the last 6 months. I'm renting a small house that was built in the 1920s and there is no room in the kitchen for a full size dishwasher and so I began researching countertop options. I was pleased by the number of positive reviews for this unit, and it was on sale so I went ahead and got it. It arrived a full day before Amazon said it would - that's always nice!

OK, I'm going to go through a pretty thorough review here because it seems that many people don't provide accurate or complete information. So, this is accurate and as complete as I can be...

UNIT MEASUREMENTS
The unit as it measures in my home: 17.25 (H) X 21.5 (W) X 19.75 (D).
The power cord is about 65" long (it has many bends from how it's packaged and so it cannot be completely straightened)
The hoses (which come already connected to the sink attachment and are also coiled and will not straighten completely) are about 60" long.
The length of the power cord and hoses allows for some flexibility in placement relative to the sink, but you will not be able to set it up across the room from the sink unless you're planning to put it near the sink for each use.

According to the product description, the unit weighs 48 lbs. I lift 30-lb bags of dog food with some regularity, and also just bought a 50-lb bag of ice melt. From comparison (without putting it on a scale), I'd say it is right around the 50-lb mark. This is empty, with no dishes and no water inside. So as you decide where you're going to put it, if you're using a portable rack or other device, make sure it can hold at least 100 lbs - 50 for the unit, plus 8 or 9 lbs for the water, plus the weight of your dishes (another 8-10 lbs) - total about 70 lbs when full and in use, plus some cushion just to be safe.

UNIT NUANCES
The door has a very secure snap closure and you must pull with a pretty good force to open it. I'm hoping that will loosen up just a little as time goes on because right now I have to put downward pressure on top of the unit in order to open the door - I've got my unit sitting on a thin-legged metal rack (see pics) and so the rack wobbles a bit if I pull hard without the downward support to hold the rack still. The shelf unit I'm using has metal mesh shelves. In order to create a flat surface, I also put a piece of plywood down and covered that with aluminum foil to create a moisture barrier to the wood. Then I put a towel down just be a little more attractive to look at.

My dinner plates are 11 inches in diameter. Slanting them forward a bit allows them to fit just fine. The description for the unit indicates that 10-inch plates will fit without a need for slanting. I would say that's accurate.

DETERGENT/DRYING AID
I'm using Cascade Complete gel packets. This product has Jet Dry in it and so I do not need to add extra drying agent. This packet fits perfectly into the larger side of the detergent compartment. NOTE: because you are not using an extra/separate drying agent (if you use a product that has it already included), the light telling you that you are low on drying agent will be lit every time the power is on. Ignore it.

WASH TIMES
Many people have complained about the length of the cycles. I'm not sure why there is so much complaint or confusion. It takes as long as a full sized dishwasher to clean the dishes. And furthermore, the instruction manual has a page (see pics I've included) that tells you exactly how long each cycle type will take. There are several cycles:
Heavy/Pots & Pans (100 minutes)
Normal (85 minutes)
Light (75 minutes)
Glass (70 minutes)
Speed (45 minutes)
and Pre-wash/soak (10 minutes).
The Heavy cycle has a double wash cycle.
The Heavy, Normal, Light and Glass cycles all include a heated dry cycle.
The speed and the pre-wash do not include any drying.
The other major difference in the cycles is the temperature of the wash/rinse water:
Heavy and Normal having the highest (wash 131*F and rinse 149*F)
The Speed has the lowest temperatures (wash 122*F and rinse 131*F).
Even the heavy and normal options are not technically reaching a temperature that is considered sterilizing (170* or hotter), but it's much closer than you could get compared to hand-washing.

I've only used the Normal cycle, which according to the manual is an 85-minute wash. I've done 3 loads so far. The first I did with hot tap water. I made sure the water was at its hottest before turning off the tap to connect the hose and turning it back on. The dishwasher will heat the water to the correct temperature for the option you've chosen, but clearly starting with already hot water will shorten the time to heat the water. So, starting with very hot tap water, the Normal wash cycle from the moment I pressed the start button to the moment the end-of-cycle beep happened was 87 minutes. The next load I did, I used the cold tap water. I was curious to see if there would be a major difference. There was. This time it took 125 minutes (just over 2 hours). So using cold water is an option, but it will add a little more than 30 minutes to the process because the unit needs to first heat the water in order to properly wash the dishes. The third load I did (yesterday) I used the hot tap, though I didn't give it time to get to its absolute hottest. This load took exactly 90 minutes - just 5 minutes longer than the manual suggests. Again, this is the typical length of a full-sized dishwasher on a normal cycle as well.

DRY DISHES
The Normal cycle that I'm using includes dry time. I've made a point to be standing at the dishwasher when the end-of-cycle beep sounds so that I could see if the dishes are in fact dry. I've interrupted the beep to open the door. The ceramic dishes (plates, bowls), metal dog food bowls, plastic cups and silverware are all dry to the touch (and baked hot). The tupperware type pieces tend to still have some water/steam on them. But that is also typical of most full size dishwashers. Letting the dishes sit in the rack, with the door open for 20-30 minutes and all dishes are completely dry and cool enough to put away.

NOISE
The sound of the unit in cycle (the swish of your dishes being cleaned) is very quiet. I cannot hear it outside the kitchen, even from the adjacent room. The only time it seems loud is when it's draining water into the sink. It sounds like someone just turned on your tap to full - so if you have a metal sink, it's water hitting metal. If you have a porcelain sink, it's water hitting porcelain. If you want to assess that volume before you buy, just turn your tap on full and walk into the next room. Better yet, be in the other room and have someone else turn it on so you can hear what that initial water-hitting-surface sounds like because that's the loudest moment.

The end-of-cycle beep is a repeated beep that lasts just 8 seconds. I was awake and listening for the beep from my bedroom (just 2 rooms away) and almost missed it. It definitely would not disturb sleep unless you're sleeping in the kitchen or are super, hyper-sensitive to any kind of noise while sleeping - and I'm a light sleeper.

GETTING IT HOOKED UP
OK, so I'm a 5'2" woman. I was able to lift the unit from the floor to a step stool and then from the stool to the rack on which it sits (see pics). It would definitely be easier with a second person because it's a bit bulky and awkward. But I didn't have anyone available to help and I was able to manage. I used the door handle and the metal lip at the top of the back of the unit for hand-holds. Remember to LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES - it is heavy enough to cause pain or injury to a back if you are already weak in that area or have a previous injury.

The adapter has TWO washers - a thin one that is well-seated into the adapter and a thicker one that easily falls out. When I first connected to my faucet, I thought the thick one was from my faucet and so removed it out of the way. The test run leaked a lot around the faucet. I then put that thick washer on top of the thin one and reattached the adapter with both washers in place. NO MORE LEAKING at the faucet!!!!

I connected the hoses to the back of the unit as directed. I hand-tightened both. I ran a 10-minute pre-wash cycle to test for leaks. The drain hose leaked. I disconnected it, turned the unit for better access, rather than trying to just reach behind, made sure the connection was seated properly, hand-tightened and then used a pliers to gently tighten. I got another full turn (or 2) before it felt fully tightened - careful not to over tighten as it is plastic and that can break if tightened too far. I also wrapped that connection with some plumbers tape just for good measure. I ran another pre-wash (10-minute) cycle NO LEAKS anywhere! Now I was ready to do a proper load of dishes.

CLEANING THE DISHES
I feed my dogs using a food puzzle toy (Kongs) which involves mixing their kibble with soft foods such as pumpkin puree or yogurt. It's difficult to get that all out and properly cleaned by hand. I had several of those that needed cleaning. I also washed their regular food bowls - the green one (in the pic) had fish oil and cranberry powder residue that I've been unable to get fully cleaned off for the last 6 months (that's 6 months of residue!). The Kongs and the bowls (and the rest of the dishes) came out looking like new! The residue was gone and there was no weird film that others have mentioned they've experienced. I think they may be using too much detergent, or not using any kind of drying aid at all.

You will need to rinse off all large food particles. Remember, this portable unit is not connected to a garbage disposal and so cannot cope with large chunks of food particles. But, sauce residue, chocolate powder caked on a spoon, cheese and egg stuck on a spatula - all came off no problem.

There is a 3-part filter system and you will likely need to clean it with some regularity (every few months) to keep the dishwasher from getting gummed up.

BETWEEN USES
The hoses are pressurized and so you only need to turn the faucet on a little to get it set. You can leave the faucet on all night if you start the dishwasher at bedtime as you will not be using/running water all night due to the pressurized hose.

Be sure to TURN OFF THE FAUCET before you try to unhook the hose from the faucet. Also, be sure to PRESS THE RED BUTTON and wait for the water to drain before disconnecting the hose from the faucet. Once disconnected, you'll want to hold the end down and the length of the hose up to drain the last of the water that's in there before tucking the hose into its storage position - this is simply to avoid drips.

Final note: the unit was a little damp inside as were the hoses upon arrival. I believe this is from testing at the factory before packaging. Many have mentioned it. Also, the unit and the hoses smell like new appliance. I can't smell it unless I'm right next to it, and I expect that after I've had it out and in use for a month or two, that smell will be gone.

So far, I am super happy with this unit - the ease of setting up, the quality of the clean. I will check in again in few months to update.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I love my new countertop dishwasher. I've been using it for more than a week. No more dirty dishes on the counter waiting to be washed in addition to no more dish washing!
Here are some things to know:
1. It's heavy and comes in a big box. You may need someone to help you with it.
2. Run the water until it gets hot before attaching the dishwasher hose.
3. Follow the diagrams for loading the basket. If your dishes don't face toward the center of the dishwasher, they won't get cleaned.
4. There's absolutely no information about the manufacturer in the manual. There's no way to contact them.
5. There's absolutely no information about ordering parts in the manual. Guess you're out of luck if you need a replacement part.
Comment 4 and 5 resulted in a four-star review.
77 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
You cant beat it for the price. Period. I have had dishwashers all over the place - I've used Bosch, Whirlpool, no-names, whatever - used it, been there, done that.
It is extremely difficult to find a dishwasher sub $300 that does a good job. Its just the truth. The cheap, lower end built-ins usually are sub-par and break down after about a year.

- Stainless steel interior. One reason why I chose this was because you cannot argue with stainless steel, which will never absorb anything quite like plastic.
- Price point below $300 - you cannot do better with this price.
- Small kitchen footprint and small electrical cost and even smaller water usage - barely uses or needs any water because it is a smaller unit. For 1-2 people, this dishwasher is perfect.
- you can load an amazing amount of dishes in. such a small dishwasher. I also mixed up the locations of the dishes and was still pleased with.how they turned out.

You can also hook this unit up permanently which I did - the intake hose opening is standard dishwasher and luckily I had 3/8 OD on my pipes so just a 3/8OD T and 5 ft tube (I replaced with metal for hot water) and then put the out under my sink after cutting some PVC - about $35 all said and done, and I don't have to hook or unhook it anymore.

So I tested the unit - unscrubbed dishes, no prewashing: dishes coated in alfredo sauce, dishes coated in chili oil - and on the 'many dishes' (heavy?) setting they got them all perfectly clean.

Slight problems that others have noted:
the drying cycle takes forever. I just open it up, and they dry spotless. No problems here.
The dishwashing cycle takes about 2 hours. Whatever, at least I'm not washing them?

Edit: Update: It is 2015, and the dishwasher still works great. Be sure to every few months clean the trap out. It is easy to forget. It may not be completely necessary if it is hooked up permanently, but it does catch large debris (if you miss it.)
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2013
It's been a while since we bought this machine, but I can tell you that it still works perfectly since we did! It's larger than your average microwave, but it's worth it. I grew up with a dishwasher, so I just can't stand to wash everything by hand. My husband finally agreed to getting this machine, and it is POWERFUL for its size! As long as you rinse your dishes right after you're done with them and set them inside to turn it on at the end of the day, it's easy to keep your sink empty. I can't live without it!
review image
on June 9, 2012
THIS UNIT COULD NOT IMPROVE, IT IS SO PERFECT. HAVE HAD CLOSE TO 9 OR 10 OTHER DISHWASHERS, ALL INSTALLED OR FULL STANDING PORTABLES, MANY TOP BRANDS. NONE OF THEM CLEANED ANY BETTER THAN THIS ONE. Yes, it does not hold as much, but I am now seventy and living alone and this is just plain perfect for me. I use the Cascade complete small pouches and just put in one and walk away knowing that I will not have any dried-on food after the dishwasher finishes its cycle. It has a wide selection of cycles to use for different purposes, have used most, all work fine. As I said, I am seventy years, completely set it up myself with no problems other than toggling it back and forth on stools to lift up to counter by myself. Once up there, could not be easier to set up.
Would highly recommended to anyone needing a small dishwasher, would be difficult to utilize in a family situation. Would probably need to run 2/3 times per day if more than 3/4 in family. What really surprises me is how quiet the unit is when running. do hear the water exiting the hoses but you have that with any. Forgot to add, the packing of this unit is unbelievable. Would have taken a Mac Truck to damage it. To those that claim they have difficulty loading this, I recommend reading the manual front to back, unlike a lot of manuals, this one is helpful. As with most new things, there is a learning curve. But the time put into learning, pays off with great rewards.
AUGUST 11, 2012. Have now had this lovely machine a good two months, running every day.
Still performing perfectly. Could not ask for better help in the kitchen, except now if I could only get it to clean out the leftovers from the refrigerator...
77 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2012
I have been browsing portable dishwashers for quite some time and debating whether or not it would be worth the investment. Thankfully I trusted the reviews here and gave this countertop dishwasher a try. It was definitely worth every penny. The heavy duty wash takes quite a while, but my dishes come out sparkling. I wanted to put the dishwasher to the test so I put a small beat-up pot of mine in it. The dishwasher did such a good job with my pot that it took off most of the scorching on the bottom. I had a full size dishwasher awhile back that couldn't do that.

I'm taking off one star because the heavy duty wash setting has quite a few cycles, and it seems to sit for a long time between those cycles.

Special note for those with bad backs / prone to muscle pain: Get help to lift and setup this item! It is large enough to be cumbersome, and heavy enough to cause some strains.
33 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse