SPT Countertop Dishwasher, White
Price:$199.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 27, 2011
This dishwasher is absolutely wonderful. Was easy to set up (except be sure to push the washer arm down into place - mine had come out in shipping despite being very well packaged, no biggie). I can't believe how many dishes fit and get washed so thoroughly in this little thing! It does a perfect job of washing dishes. The hose goes on & off the faucet with ease in 2 seconds using their supplied adaptor. Seems very sturdy and well made. My only complaint was that the instructions tell you to be sure to use dishwasher detergent "with chemicals". This is ridiculous - you can now purchase natural dishwasher detergent at most health food stores, and the one I am using works like a charm (Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Detergent). My kitchen is tiny but this guy fits perfectly between counter and cupboard. I can't believe I waited so long to get a dishwasher, what a time saver!!!

Update after using it daily for over 3 years: Love it even more!!! I have never had a single problem with it. Completely dependable and does a great job cleaning my dishes. Still using the natural dishwasher detergent with excellent results.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2013
My dislike of doing dishes turned most of the counter space of my small Manhattan kitchen into physics-defying stacks of procrastination. This countertop dishwasher takes up about 60% of usable counter space in my apartment, a sacrifice I'm willing to make but for city dwellers, definitely measure it out.

This unit is perfect for one to two people. My loaner husband no longer lives next door to me so I was apprehensive about installing the faucet adaptor myself, turns out it was a cinch. I found a helpful video online which showed the tool I needed to get: [...]

Normally I don't read manuals, this one I read cover to cover. Some of the typos and wording are good for a laugh and its focus is on how to load a hypothetically uniform set of dishes no one actually owns. Fortunately, the Amazon community helped me fill in the blanks, I'm very grateful for their assistance. Here's what I learned from them and from using the machine:

1. Turn on your hot water all the way when you've got it set up and are ready to run it. The cold water will tax the motor.

2. If you're using Cascade Complete gel packs, those go in the detergent compartment on the door. There's a little basket on the left side that's for dishwashing tablets. The reason I like the Cascade Complete Gel Packs is it's got everything in it, including the rinse agent that keeps your glasses from streaking.

3. You don't have to stress out if you don't turn the faucet off immediately after the cycle is done. Water won't continue to run. I mean, I wouldn't go on vacation without turning off the faucet but you don't have to obsess that there's going to be some water pressure build-up that's going to shoot your shiny new countertop dishwasher into space if you're absorbed in another activity.

4. It doesn't dry plastic, but does dry my plates and pots. A few times I rinsed a couple of dishes again, they were super shiny so I was suspicious maybe the Cascade Gel Pack left some residue, so basically I ran them under water again because they looked too clean, starting to worry that I have trust issues.

5. The packaging is so sturdy, Wile E. Coyote could have dropped an anvil on it and it would have been fine. I've received mutilated deliveries from other companies with everything from footprints on top of the box to holes where the fork lift went through it. This can withstand whatever fury the delivery company dishes out.

6. The adaptor on your faucet takes getting used to. It produces a very strong stream of water so you only need to turn your faucet on a little to use it. I've already had a few accidental wet t-shirt contests but the good news is I won.

7. It's very quiet. Sometimes too quiet, I get paranoid it's not running but it is, it's just using its indoor voice. There's about a minute total where there's audible noise.

8. The hoses that connect from the unit to the faucet are annoyingly stiff. It's good to know that it's not going to spring a leak any time in the near future but I have to figure out some hook system to make them less obtrusive.

9. There's a plastic warning in the manual and one of my Tupperware lids didn't make it. It was probably eighteen years old so it lived a good life. I've washed plenty of other plastic items that made it out just fine.

10. Don't forget to turn the power on the dishwasher off before you unload it. If you don't, it makes this annoying beeping sound that the manual describes as "mooing". I assure you, there are no barnyard sounds with this machine.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I would give it 4 and 3/4 stars because of the hose, amount of counter space it takes up and its not drying everything 100% completely. It's not perfect, but it's very close and what more could a girl ask for.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2011
I have had this dishwasher only a week. I am using in it from Walmart - The Great Value Dishwasher Powder and The Great Value Rinse Agent.

This dishwasher appears to be very well made but, as I said I have only had it a week and time will tell how durable it really is.

As for cleaning a large load of dishes this dishwasher does an outstanding job! Does it hold up to six place settings? Everybody's dishes are different and it holds about four and then some for me. For those of you who are wondering if this washer drains the water by gravity or it is pumped out I believe it is pumped out but, I could not find any documentation on this. Very easy to hookup to you kitchen faucet. Does a great job drying the dishes.

Update 10/26/2011: Dishwasher performs perfectly! Here are some additional thoughts - It says it in the directions that come with the dishwasher but make sure you add your dishwasher powder just before you start the wash not 2 hours earlier or it will harden.

Update: 10/2/2013 Still works as great as the day I got it.

Update: 10/10/2014 Still works as great as the day I got it.
review image review image review image review image review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 9, 2012
THIS UNIT COULD NOT IMPROVE, IT IS SO PERFECT. HAVE HAD CLOSE TO 9 OR 10 OTHER DISHWASHERS, ALL INSTALLED OR FULL STANDING PORTABLES, MANY TOP BRANDS. NONE OF THEM CLEANED ANY BETTER THAN THIS ONE. Yes, it does not hold as much, but I am now seventy and living alone and this is just plain perfect for me. I use the Cascade complete small pouches and just put in one and walk away knowing that I will not have any dried-on food after the dishwasher finishes its cycle. It has a wide selection of cycles to use for different purposes, have used most, all work fine. As I said, I am seventy years, completely set it up myself with no problems other than toggling it back and forth on stools to lift up to counter by myself. Once up there, could not be easier to set up.
Would highly recommended to anyone needing a small dishwasher, would be difficult to utilize in a family situation. Would probably need to run 2/3 times per day if more than 3/4 in family. What really surprises me is how quiet the unit is when running. do hear the water exiting the hoses but you have that with any. Forgot to add, the packing of this unit is unbelievable. Would have taken a Mac Truck to damage it. To those that claim they have difficulty loading this, I recommend reading the manual front to back, unlike a lot of manuals, this one is helpful. As with most new things, there is a learning curve. But the time put into learning, pays off with great rewards.
AUGUST 11, 2012. Have now had this lovely machine a good two months, running every day.
Still performing perfectly. Could not ask for better help in the kitchen, except now if I could only get it to clean out the leftovers from the refrigerator...
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2012
I have been browsing portable dishwashers for quite some time and debating whether or not it would be worth the investment. Thankfully I trusted the reviews here and gave this countertop dishwasher a try. It was definitely worth every penny. The heavy duty wash takes quite a while, but my dishes come out sparkling. I wanted to put the dishwasher to the test so I put a small beat-up pot of mine in it. The dishwasher did such a good job with my pot that it took off most of the scorching on the bottom. I had a full size dishwasher awhile back that couldn't do that.

I'm taking off one star because the heavy duty wash setting has quite a few cycles, and it seems to sit for a long time between those cycles.

Special note for those with bad backs / prone to muscle pain: Get help to lift and setup this item! It is large enough to be cumbersome, and heavy enough to cause some strains.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
You cant beat it for the price. Period. I have had dishwashers all over the place - I've used Bosch, Whirlpool, no-names, whatever - used it, been there, done that.
It is extremely difficult to find a dishwasher sub $300 that does a good job. Its just the truth. The cheap, lower end built-ins usually are sub-par and break down after about a year.

- Stainless steel interior. One reason why I chose this was because you cannot argue with stainless steel, which will never absorb anything quite like plastic.
- Price point below $300 - you cannot do better with this price.
- Small kitchen footprint and small electrical cost and even smaller water usage - barely uses or needs any water because it is a smaller unit. For 1-2 people, this dishwasher is perfect.
- you can load an amazing amount of dishes in. such a small dishwasher. I also mixed up the locations of the dishes and was still pleased with.how they turned out.

You can also hook this unit up permanently which I did - the intake hose opening is standard dishwasher and luckily I had 3/8 OD on my pipes so just a 3/8OD T and 5 ft tube (I replaced with metal for hot water) and then put the out under my sink after cutting some PVC - about $35 all said and done, and I don't have to hook or unhook it anymore.

So I tested the unit - unscrubbed dishes, no prewashing: dishes coated in alfredo sauce, dishes coated in chili oil - and on the 'many dishes' (heavy?) setting they got them all perfectly clean.

Slight problems that others have noted:
the drying cycle takes forever. I just open it up, and they dry spotless. No problems here.
The dishwashing cycle takes about 2 hours. Whatever, at least I'm not washing them?

Edit: Update: It is 2015, and the dishwasher still works great. Be sure to every few months clean the trap out. It is easy to forget. It may not be completely necessary if it is hooked up permanently, but it does catch large debris (if you miss it.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2012
After 5 years of living in my city studio apartment, I'm thrilled to not be doing my dishes anymore! The machine works well, it's amazingly quiet, and it's only about the size of a large microwave. It was packaged and shipped incredibly well. I even figured out a way to tie it in to the water feed under the sink instead of using the faucet adapter. I can't say enough how impressed and pleased I am. BUY IT!!!

UPDATE AFTER ONE YEAR
I've had this unit for one year now. I run it 3-4 times per week. I still LOVE IT. I'm still shocked how my glassware comes out SPOTLESS and my dishes are shining. I can't believe I washed dishes by hand for all those years. It's still the best $230 I've ever spent. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!

UPDATE AFTER TWO YEARS
Still working perfectly. It's amazing to live without dishes in the sink! Spotless glasses and dinnerware. Amazing. BUY IT.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2013
I love this little guy.

I do not have room for a full size dishwasher and I live in an apartment, so after many years of not having a dishwasher and hating to do dishes I looked into a counter top one. I did not want to spend a lot of money on something that was not going to work or issues, so I did my research and one that kep coming up as far as really good was SPT. I broke down and bought it and am so happy I have.

You can put it anywhere, you do need to be close to the sink to hook it up though. The set up is supper easy unpack and you are good to go. To attach it, unscrew the faucet filter place on the one they give you and start washing. This takes any dish washing soap.

OK what people with complain about..."it's to small"...well it is a small and you have to use your head when you put bog dishes in there, here is a hint the silverware basket comes out. I like to cook and bake so I have large bowls they fit.

for the full I'm washing hard cycle it is about an hour to run, but turn it on and go to bed you are good. Because it does not have drying system, open up the door a crack let the dishes air dry. I love this thing, if you have a lot of dishes you may need to run couple loads or do some my hand (I prefer to run a couple loads)this is energy star rated (means less water and electricity then other models). Here is the thing you run this full (be creative in loading it and load it full) you will save water.

I would say buy it if you are looking.
review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2013
In a small apartment kitchen it seems the counters are forever full of dirty dishes. Give up about two feet of linear counter-top with this dishwasher and you can replace dirty dishes with a big white boxy appliance.

We are averaging, in a family of 2, about one and a half cycles a day. There are several problems with the d/w design.

- it really does NOT handle dinner plates that are larger than 10 inches without slanting them into the racks, and this cuts down a lot on the space available for dishes. While the shorter height allows the d/w to sit under the upper cabinets, this compromise means that normal dinner plates (and forget about modern large plates or serving pieces) just are not a good match for this sized d/w.

- the strange permutations of the racks has very shallow tines for plates (if your plates have a deep "bowl" they won't stack neatly), low clearances for glasses and some widely spaced racking that lets a lot of normal dishes slip between support racks. If you stack the dinner plates where they suggest, there's less room for bowls, glasses and mugs. If you put your glasses and mugs towards the front to accomodate the dinner plates, they slip between the support racks. Unless you use cups and saucers, the folding upper rack meant for your coffee mugs is too short. Stacking chaos is the order of the day until you realize you just won't fit in a 6 piece setting unless everything is miniaturized.

- the cutlery box has a lid on it with holes for supporting cutlery. But the lid is either on, or off, not one half up and the other down. Since half of it has holes obviously meant for chopsticks and not north american cutlery, the lid has to come off and your cutlery leans into each other.

This sort of design drives you nuts and means, ultimately, that you will probably run it a few times a day if you want all your dishes washed in the machine. The run-time is 80 minutes for a cycle. On the up side, being a small dishwasher that won't hold 6 sets of dishes unless you are a Liliputian, it's a quick unload and load up, and keeps your dishes off your counter.

It is not too loud, the set-up is easy and fast, the connections done with a small wrench to tighten the faucet adapter, and the dishes, if stacked correctly, come out clean. Make sure to use rinse-aid and the recommended amount of d/w detergent or soap (I use a green product and with the recommended measurement have no problem with dishes being clean).

Bottom line; it's maybe better than washing dishes, but it does not provide all the convenience of a full size dishwasher in a smaller size. It provides about 35% of the convenience of a full size dishwasher, and my 3 stars reflects this limitation.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2014
There comes a point in every young(ish) woman's life when the realization that 1) moving out of an apartment and 2) into a house with a regular sized dishwasher is not going to happen tomorrow and for the sake of your own sanity and cuticles you need to address the massive mountains of unwashed dishes covering every square inch (which is only 12 by the way) of your available counter space. For almost 10 years, I've fought the good fight, the noble "I'm going to wash my own dishes fight" but finally last Saturday I'd had enough. The camel's back broke and I marched myself over to Amazon without looking back. Dishes needed to be cleaned.

I chose SPT mostly for the comparative price. I'm not sure why but in some places I've seen it described as "silver." Make no mistake, this product is lily-white...and the best price I could find, so BOOM...bought. (SPT, in case you're wondering stands for SunPenTown...the maker which I'd never heard of but they had believable website and an address in California, so at least on the surface I knew I wasn't buying from the North Koreans or something).

It shipped SEVERAL days early. This only really matters because this package is large and heavy. You'll want to make sure to have several able-bodied folks with healthy low backs to get this behemoth up to wherever you live. Thanks to the kindness of two strapping strangers in my building ("Well, *hello* boys)...it reached my 3rd floor walk-up if only by the grace of god.

There's an arduous amount of packing which is a good sign, I think. I was able to lift the unit onto the countertop myself but I'm a power-lifter by hobby so if you're a lithe, diaphanous type (and yes, guys, I'm looking at you too...and you know who you are), then keep one of your luggers around for a minute after they haul the thing upstairs. The unit was in pristine, beautiful condition. Yay, packing teams.

Set up: pretty simple. It fit like a gem under my standard-hung cabinets. No problems there...but given how big a shipping deal this is, measure first. RETURN SHIPPING IS NOT AN OPTION. Just meditate on that for a minute. Now go get your tape measure...scoot, scoot. Plug in, read the instructions, hook to the faucet. turn on.

NOW: I did have 2 tiny issues. 1) they don't tell you that the whole "quick adapter" thingy comes already put together...in fact, they send you on a treasure hunt to find the faucet adapter that's supposedly separate. IT IS NOT. Don't be fooled. It comes out of the cuff of the white plastic hose hook up by pushing down on the spring-loaded cuff. 2) they tell you the adapter will fit most sinks. Well, damned if it didn't fit mine. I called customer service who was very friendly but had no idea about workarounds...they suggested I call a plumber. "Um...not for a $220 dishwasher HOOKUP...thanks." After a little searching and a pep-talk, I headed to Home Depot (which gives me hives) and lo and behold...a whole AISLE full of adapter thingies. One of the really standard, really cheap ones worked. So don't panic if it doesn't fit...there's a standard, cheap adapter-for-the-adapter that's out there for you. Mine was $5.49.

Once I figured those 2 things out...I was on my way. Threw in a tablet-with-rinse-agent thing into the bigger of the 2 soap compartments, followed the instructions for loading the dishes (this is not only handy but actually functional...if you don't follow these instructions things will not be clean...trust me). My life has never been better.

A couple handy tips:
-Use hot water out of the faucet not cold (no heating agent in the machine).
-Do not run on the same circuit at the same time as, let's say, a microwave (or other high load appliance). Oops..."so THAT's why they call them surge protectors!"
-Open the door after the cycle is over and let dry that way (no heated drying cycle)
-Load on default setting (just one under "heavy") is about 80 mins (exactly as stated in manual)
-Turn off hot water tap BEFORE undoing the faucet attachment (and USE the pressure release valve...unless you want a facial)

Of course, the thing is brand new...but given the majority of other reviews...I've got a feeling everything will be alright.

Go ahead...it's time. You know it is...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...