Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 12, 2011
I've had this fridge for about two weeks now and it's been really great. I bought it for my office and mostly to prevent me from eating out, so I had a few criteria. First, it had to be fairly small footprint, but large enough to store a good amount of real food, such as leftovers, some fruit & veg, and materials to make snacks with such as PB&J. Second, it had to have a real compressor, one that will cool well below the ambient temperature as the office building gets quite warm in the summer and I really hate when food goes bad. Third, I didn't want the unit to give up a bunch of space to a can delivery system, since I don't drink usually have canned drinks around. So, that's how I ended up at the SPT, it's the only one I found that fits all these criteria. I'd never heard of SPT before buying this fridge and quite honestly, if it had the same features as all the other fridges I'd seen (researched for two weeks), I probably wouldn't have bought it. However, given that it had everything I was looking for, I decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did.

First, the aesthetics; it's a vertical rectangular shape, modestly attractive looking, basically it looks like a small black fridge with a stainless door. I was a bit surprised at the size, it's quite a bit taller than I was expecting and the black does makes it look a little monolithic. The unit actually looks bigger than it really is, I was shocked to find that it fits nicely under my desk. The Stainless Steel finish on the door isn't quite as polished as the vastly more expensive full-size GE fridge I've got at home, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked, especially considering the price! This unit is solidly built and is surprisingly lightweight, which was great for moving it around the first day, figuring out where it should go. The door, as shipped, opens on the left, but it looked like a fairly simple job to switch sides (haven't needed to) and SPT included extra plastic inserts for covering up the holes should this be required, a nice touch. Door was protected with plastic film and all three shelves and the ice maker were taped down to prevent them sliding around.

On to functionality; the fridge works! It got the four iced teas I put in it ice cold within only a few hours of being plugged in and I've got the unit set at 4, the factory preset median setting and it works great. Stuff down low in the fridge was kept nicely cold, the ham I put up near the icemaker had frost in the package, but the meat wasn't frozen. Note to self, meat goes lower in the fridge. The lower door shelf holds four Honest Tea bottles, but the wire holder swings out to hold bigger items. The top door shelf is a little shorter and has a fixed bar, so PB & J go up there. Inside shelves are made of white plastic-coated wire and well spaced. The freezer holds at least a trio of standard sized juice boxes; it's wide, but not very tall, so low items work best. One other extremely cool thing is, the energy consumption rating for this fridge is actually below the lowest range on the chart. This makes it extremely efficient, which isn't a factor for me, but I can see this being a plus for someone being challenged about its power consumption. Given how well it keeps my food cold, it must be very well insulated to achieve such low consumption.

Things of note:
1) This unit only has one leveling foot, at the front right corner. This is probably not a problem for most people, but my office floor is as flat as a Ruffles potato chip, so levelling the fridge required shims under the front left foot.
2) Power cord is only about 5Ft long, once again, not a problem in most offices, but I would really have liked a longer one. Extension cord to the rescue.
3) Unit isn't silent, but it's not loud either. Some people have complained about other fridges being loud, I don't find this one to be unpleasant, it's like low-level white noise in the background. If I get in early, I can hear the fridge, but once the office wakes up, it's inaudible.
4) Unit came very well packed in an enormous box, strapped and taped closed. I was impressed, but I did have to lie the fridge on its side to get it out of the box.
5) This hasn't been a problem, but the manual says that should the fridge lose power, it won't come back on automatically.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2012
This turned out to be the perfect refrigerator and I'll try to answer some questions about posted concerns.
Noise - when you first turn on the fridge and perhaps the first 24 hours, the refrigerator will cycle quite a bit and the compressor will make interesting noises. not bad, just different. once the refrigerator has had it's break in period, the compressor only turns on every 30 minutes or so for a very short time - I don't notice it anymore and the compressor is not loud at all.
How soon after the item is turned on that you can place things inside - within two hours the refrigerator will be cold - however, placing warm items in there will require additional times for the refrigerator's temperature to level out - it's been that way ever since they have been making refrigerators.
The stainless on the door is beautiful and we are delighted that we spent the extra money - it looks great in our office - see video.
Finally, it's by far the best unit for the money and we have no complaints.
The video will provide an idea about how much can be stored inside - we have removed one of the shelves to leave more room for bottles and cans.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
When I said that I was going to go online to buy a compact refrigerator from Amazon, several people tried to convince me that refrigerators, and all major appliances should be purchased locally. "After all," they argued, "You must see it in a showroom; It can get crushed in shipping; Local delivery only takes a few days and is cheaper; You can negotiate a better price etc. etc." I knew better, and placed an order with my Amazon Prime Membership, that gives me 2nd day Free Shipping. The price was right, the fridge is beautiful, keeps everything cold and fresh, is so absolutely pin-drop quiet, that I checked inside periodically, to make sure that it hadn't shut off. My new SPT is better than I expected and I'm thrilled. By the way, something did go wrong: It arrived by UPS NEXT DAY OVERNIGHT, and Amazon did not charge me even one penny extra! P.S. Freezer keeps everything "Frozen Solid" including the ice cubes.

FIVE MONTH UPDATE (7/21/14): This fridge & its freezer still work so efficiently and quietly, that the two of my colleagues who lobbied the most persistently against my purchase from Amazon, have joined Amazon Prime's 30-day free trial, and each now enjoys this SPT in his own office.

TWENTY MONTH UPDATE (10/4/15): This refrigerator is still the best purchase I have ever made from Amazon, as well as the best refrigerator I have ever owned, regardless of size. It is as good now, as it was on the day I received it. It is very quiet, extremely efficient, and hardly ever needs defrosting. Its freezer continues to work perfectly, and the refrigerator keeps everything, from fruit and vegetables, to meat, beverages, and dairy products fresh, and flavorful, beyond expectations. Nearly everybody in my company , who has an office, is ordered this exact refrigerator for theirs, (upon my recommendation), and, almost every one of them has either called or written me a note of thanks.

As of this date, Amazon Prime is not available for this product. When I purchased mine from them, the price including shipping was $153.00. In retrospect, that was a fantastic price and equally fantastic product. Now, since Amazon Prime no longer carries this model, I see the third-party sellers have raised the price above $300. There is a new model that is available on Amazon Prime, and which Amazon itself is selling for less than I paid for mine, almost 2 years ago. The specifications seem to be almost the same, except that the door is pure stainless steel, instead of the black door that was standard on mine. Considering that this model was built with the expectation of being out of sight, it really does not matter. In my case, I put contact paper on their door, that matched the furniture piece under which it was placed, so as to be entirely unobtrusive.

I have never been completely at ease doing business with third-party sellers, and I have memories that sustain my feelings. If Amazon was not selling the refrigerator, when I bought it, I would have bought locally instead. I recommend that anyone considering buying this refrigerator, first check the new model that Amazon is selling.(Link below) It is just as highly rated as mine, yet selling for less than half the price SPT RF-244SS Compact Refrigerator, Stainless, 2.4 Cubic Feet Good luck to all!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
After my son was born, we wanted a mini fridge for the bedroom so that my husband wouldn't have to run downstairs to get milk out of the fridge in the middle of the night. It quickly got upgraded to also storing bottles of water and fraps. It does a wonderful job at keeping everything nice and cold. The interior space is rather spacious. We typically have around 12 fraps, 15 bottles of water and one or two bottles in the fridge at all times with room to spare.

Some people have complained that this fridge is loud but I don't agree. Whenever the compressor turns on, of course you can hear it, but it's not very bothersome and doesn't wake up our baby despite being 5 feet away. The stainless finish looks good and doesn't seem to get fingerprint smudges which is great.

I want to point out that the description of the product is incorrect. It mentions that it comes with a transparent vegetable drawer with a glass shelf which isn't true.

Overall this is a great mini fridge at a very reasonable price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
I bought this to put under my desk at the office. It fits perfectly and cannot be seen by others. What I love the most is what I don't have... noise. Unlike my last minifridge the unit operates very quietly and keeps items appropriately cool. I was surprised to find that the freezer compartment actually keeps items frozen.
on January 2, 2012
I bought this fridge a couple weeks ago and it looks nice in person, came very nicely packaged with no effort needed to put it together. The inside smelled a bit at first of plastic but I left the door open for a couple days and the smell went away. After I plugged it in, it got very cold after just a couple hours and keeps cold well. My biggest complaint is the noise. For the most part, it's quiet in the maintenance mode but when it is turning on to cool itself, it makes loud clanking sounds that I can hear from my second floor and I have the unit on the first floor. I researched other fridges and seems like noise is always an issue so I guess this is a decent fridge if you can put up with the noise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
FIRST UNIT FAULTY, SECOND PERFECT: The first unit I received had a noisy compressor that would make a metal "clunk" sound every time the compressor turned on or off. The compressor still worked 100% in terms of cooling temperature, just was noisy. I had the first fridge for 5 months and decided to see if SPT would replace it because the 30 day Amazon warranty was long gone. SPT told me they would repair or replace it if they found a problem even though in their warranty it says different. This fridge is under manufacture warranty for 1 year from the purchase date. Luckily, the SPT warehouse is in City of Industry, CA, which was close to me so I dropped it off. SPT had it for 4 days, called me and said they couldn't repair so they would send me new one, shipped it for free. Turn around time was 7 days which is pretty quick in my opinion. Got the new one and it is super quiet and did not make any "clunk" sounds. The repair tech even took the new fridge out of the box, switched the side the front door hinge is on, and packed it back up.

Functionality: A packed fridge will get very cold especially on the highest setting "6". 3-4 setting still works pretty well. Freezer is small as others have stated. It will 'almost' freeze large items. Small items like burritos or breakfast sandwiches will freeze normally. A small tray of ice cubes will freeze. A bottle of alcohol will get to the temp you need it.

IS IT QUIET? Yes! I realize the idea of how noisy a product is, is subjective. I'm very sensitive to noises when I sleep and this unit did not wake or keep me up. The unit is about 10 ft from my head. You can hear when the compressor comes on, but it is very minimal. If you have this in an office or an area where people are on phones you will NOT hear this.

HELPFUL FEATURES: The door hinge can be placed on either side which was helpful for me. You have to manually change it though. Instructions included on how to do that. Pretty easy to do. You basically move the hinge from one side to the other with some screws and bolts, and the door will swing open which ever way fits best for the owner.

RATING: I debated giving it 4 stars instead of 5. Even though the first fridge was faulty, SPT stood by their product, plus the fridge is quality, does its job well, looks sharp, and is at the perfect price point. It deserves 5 stars.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS: If this fridge is going into a poorly lit room, I highly recommend buying a cheap, battery-powered motion sensor LED light and stick it to the top of the fridge using some double-sided tape. The one I purchased for my fridge is on eBay for $6.26. Just copy/paste "8 LED Light Lamp IR Auto Sensor Motion Detector Energy" into eBay search bar.

Any questions feel free to ask.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
I have this under my desk at work - literally inches from me. It keeps everything cold and is virtually silent. Great little fridge.
on June 8, 2014
I have had this refrigerator now for 10 months, and it has stopped working, still under warranty. The warranty states that the company will repair the refrigerator while under warranty. I called them to tell them that it is no longer cooling. I was told that I had to pack it, send it to them in California, where they would repair it and send it back to me in several weeks. Where they think I can get appropriate packaging for a refrigerator, I don't know. Since I am unable to do this, their warranty is useless.
Therefore, I will put this refrigerator in the trash where it belongs, and purchase another, obviously of another brand.
on May 29, 2014
I was looking for a small fridge for cold drinks when we moved our full size Fridge out. After reading reviews of competing brands, I finally down to this SPT:

What I like:
1. Contrary to what many have been saying that it makes a lot of noise or maybe I was lucky to get a good one. I could hardly hear the sound coming from this unit. Validating those reviews I have read about the noise it makes, only when I tried to get near to within two feet, that's when I heard some blower low sound, similar to some laptop fan white noise. I waited until the compressor started to kick in, surely, there's a diff. sound a rumbling sound, that's only when I tried my best looking for the sound. Once I took my concentration somewhere else I couldn't hear a thing. It's not a noise, it's a whisper.
2. I like the stainless steel look, it made it look pricey and clean.
3. I couldn't believed what ready-to-eat food that can fit inside other than soda. It can fit a two Chinese quarts size containers on the top shelves, a foot long Steak Sub, three layers of seven bottle of beers side by side on the second level and 10, 12oz soda can on the lower level where the compressor is located. The door can accommodate full size water bottle.
4. It have a small freezer that can fit a sandwich size item or an ice tray.
5. The size is very small for a fridge but big for a counter top.
6. Great for basement to compliment a dry bar or just something to reach in while watching a TV/movie or just feeling lazy to go one level up/down to get a drink.

Remain to be seen:
1. See how long it will last.
2. See if age will make the sound louder.

If there's a need for small dorm type fridge, this is the one.

UPDATE: Aug. 24, 2014 **************************************

1. Noise - Since I moved this fridge in a more isolated man's cave, at around 7 feet away, I hear the compressor more pronounce. There's a click followed by motor sound for 20 seconds then start to fade to a hum white sound)for total of two minutes and a click at stop. Repeat every 6-7 minutes. If you are focus on the sound then it becomes annoying but ignored it and it disappears.
2. Still going strong.
3. For almost the same price I paid, for those who needs a dedicated freezer, the 3.1 cu-in with two doors, top freezer is a better buy, I believed. Size-wise, more room and it's not much larger.

I still maintain to recommend this if this is the size you're looking for.