Here's the approach: Author John J. Patrick sets out a task--for example, writing a statement that yields a left outer join of two databases. Then he proceeds to accomplish the task in both Access and Oracle, presenting the platforms' respective SQL statements side by side. The differences between the two implementations of SQL are obvious, making it easy for someone familiar with one of the two environments to adapt to the other. The reader will also find the numbered and highlighted key passages, which include details on the facing page, very helpful.
Patrick, who based this book on a university course he teaches, knows the value of practical experience--he's loaded SQL Fundamentals with exercises in addition to the tasks he completes himself. He leaves most of these to the reader but provides solutions to some of the more interesting ones. Databases for the illustrations and exercises are included on the companion CD-ROM. --David Wall --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
SQL for Oracle, Accessand the real world!
- The hands-on, real-world SQL guide for every business and IT professional
- Master SQL for the world's two top databases: Oracle and Microsoft Access
- How to write SQL queries that are easy to understand, verify, modify, and extend
- Covers everything from basic SELECT statements to complex joins
- CD-ROM: extensive library of sample databases and code
Don't just learn "generic" SQL: learn SQL to get results with the world's top database platforms-Oracle for the enterprise, and Microsoft Access for the desktop! Based on John Patrick's hands-on SQL course at the University of California, Berkeley, this book shows exactly how to retrieve the data you want, when you need it, in any application-from ad hoc reports to the data warehouse. From the simplest SELECT statements to the most sophisticated joins, Patrick shows you exactly how to write SQL queries that are easy to understand, verify, modify, and extend. SQL Fundamentals, Second Edition teaches you to:
- Write simple statements to retrieve, store, or modify data
- Build complex queries that draw information from multiple tables
- Create your own tables
- Summarize your data: basic and advanced techniques
- Understand and ensure data integrity
- Work with unions, subqueries, self joins, cross joins, inner joins, and outer joins
The accompanying CD-ROM contains all the SQL code and tables from the book, Microsoft Access databases, and code for building the corresponding Oracle databases.