5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product

3.0 out of 5 stars Ethanol in gasoline
I have tried this fuel conditioner and have still had "gum up" problems
in all my two-cycle engines. Ethanol in gasoline over a couple of weeks
old seems to absorb water and cause starting problems. I have also noticed
that ethanol is no friend to any rubber-like component, fuel lines, gaskets, etc..

I assume that manufacturers of two-cycle...
Published 17 months ago by L. King

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product, February 7, 2009
33 years ago I moved to 3 acres, and had a whole set of gas engines to look after (mower, string mower, chain saws, rototiller, etc). No matter what I tried, more than half of them had to go in once a year to clean and adjust the carburetor before they would run after winter storage. I complained so loudly to the shop that worked on them, that the owner introduced me to Sta-bil... and I called the company and ordered a case (couldn't find it in the stores then)... even talked with the inventor (a trained chemist).
I use it by always adding a small amount (less than recommended) to every fuel can when it's filled, and a bit more to any gas tank that may remain unused for a while (like a mower in the winter). The only other thing I started doing religiously was to fill every gas tank through a filtered funnel (fine screen or felt). In the intervening 33 years, I've never had to rebuild another carburetor... and extraordinary result. Unlike most gas additives, this stuff works. Gums, glues condensates all have vanished... I still have four chain saws, two mowers, and other equipment used seasonally, and my biggest maintenance problem has vanished.
The inventor has retired, and sold to a group of investors, but as far as I can tell, the product is of the same quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it but a note of caution, April 21, 2011
Matthew Dyer (South of the Mason-Dixon Line!) - See all my reviews
I've used this for years and it really does work. I treat all my around the house gas (lawnmower, pressure washer, etc.) with it and my tools start on the first or second pull everytime. As another reviewer pointed out it also seems to somewhat revive / clean out gummed up and hard starting engines. It doesn't do this perfectly, but it does seem to have a slight effect.

I use this all summer and run the engines dry before storing in the winter. Before putting away for the winter I also use fogging oil (another great product) before storage. These two simple steps have saved me from lots of expense and aggravation.

Now for the note of caution: You need to carefully read the bottle and religiously follow the directions. Sta-bil keeps fuel fresh for awhile, but not forever. I believe--and I don't have the bottle right in front of me--that it will keep gas fresh for 3 or 4 months. So you can't fill up a 5 gallon can, add Sta-bil, and use that for several years. It just doesn't work that way. Also, the Sta-bil jug itself has a limited shelf life. It's good, once opened, for at most two years. Again, if you're a homeowner who doesn't plow through gas it doesn't make sense to buy a huge bottle. You're often better off buying smaller bottles.

Overall, fantastic product that really works. Sta-bil and fogging oil and starting fluid have made it so much easier for me to use small engine tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Product, Great for Hassle-Free Storage of Vehicles, May 17, 2009
While I am not petroleum scientist, I have had the opportunity to start vehicles that had been in storage for several months with and with STA-BIL. I was easily able to tell the difference. I first started using STA-BIL when I moved to the East Coast, leaving my Ford Explorer behind. The vehicle was in good condition but had 150k miles on the odometer, making me somewhat concerned about starting the vehicle when I returned and/or attempted to sell it. I gave STAB-BIL a try and was very pleased with its performance. In fact, it seems to work longer than the 3-6 months the manufacturer suggests. For nearly two years, I had the vehicle parked in my parents' driveway, much to their chagrin. If I recall, I only put 1-2 bottles in the tank the entire time. I never had a problem starting the vehicle. Ultimately, I was able to sell the Explorer because I had no problems starting and running the vehicle during my brief trips back home.

By contrast, a relative has a 1992 Mazda Miata with 35k miles, which is only used in the summer. The owner did not use fuel stabilizer until I purchased it for her. The last time I helped this person get the car started after being stored for four months, it chugged and sputtered for nearly 30 minutes. I would not have felt comfortable driving such a vehicle as it would have been likely to stall. I finally purchased STA-BIL as a stocking stuffer for Christmas '08 and put it into the Miata's gas tank myself. From what I understand, it has worked well. However, the real test will come in Spring 2010. I fairly confident it will work given my experience with my Explorer. Now, I recommend STAB-BIL to family members who are storing lawn and snow removal equipment. Consider STA-BIL a cost effective insurance policy along with simple tips below.

Other Storage Tips:

Over-inflate the tires to prevent flat spots
Start the car or equipment periodically in the off-season
Get an AC trickle charge or solar trickle starter for the battery
Get an oil change before storage
Consider insect repellants and/or covering air intakes if pests are a problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Measure, Easy to Use, Works as Advertised, January 9, 2011
I generally like to keep 20 gallons of gasoline safely stored in my garage for emergencies and household use. This product has an effective automatic measuring design that doesn't spill and allows you to get the proper mixture into your fuel container without any guesswork. I've stored gasoline with this product for up to a year without any significant breakdown of the gas and with the ability to run it in my autos and lawn equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used this for 20 years and never had a problem, March 24, 2012
Here is the main thing you have to do with this product

1. USE FRESH GAS !!
2. Make sure the stabilizer is mixed into the gas very, very, well.
3. This product DOES NOT restore gas that is already bad.

Like I stated in the title I have never had a problem with Sta-Bil. There is ONE THING that I do that others may not do. I RUN IT ALL YEAR LONG. I do this because I have several gas powered engines. Some may set for a few months, sometimes even a year before they are used again. Yes it adds cost but it has saved me time, trouble,and money plus I don't have to mess with draining non treated gas out of my equipment.

I am also very particular about how I mix the Sta-Bil into the gas. Just dumping it into an already full gas container does not work. I put a small amount of gas into the EMPTY container, add the Sta-Bil, then I shake it to get the contents mixed. Once mixed I then fill the container the rest of the way up.

For engines that I know will be stored for a long time I USE A DOUBLE DOSE of Stabil.

Yes I HAVE talked to people who have had problems with Sta-Bil. When I question them further it almost always turns out that they put the product into old gas or THEY DID NOT MIX IT PROPERLY. I can't say that this happened to all of them because there were a few who claimed they did not remember how they mixed it.

Use this product, follow the directions, and you should not have any problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sta-Bil Gasoline Stabilizer, September 26, 2010
It actually does what it says. Gasoline starts turning to varnish and "gumming up the works" of a machine within a matter of weeks. Once, I had a Chain Saw with Sta-Bil treated gasoline in it - then had to have back surgery and could not use it for almost 2 years. I dreaded trying to start it - but the saw started after only a few pulls on the rope and ran fine - after 2 years! But, warning: read the label. Sta-Bil, itself, is only good for 2 years. I learned the hard way: I put some old Sta-Bil in new gas and it wouldn't run. After a lot of expensive work, I discovered that the old Sta-Bil (way over 2 years old) had corrupted the new gas. Finally, I put new gas and new Sta-Bil in it and it has run fine ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me; but a caution, February 7, 2011
If you haven't been using Stabil, using it on an old engine might clog it with freed gums.

I've had no problems using Stabil on new engines, but an old engine quickly started running rough because way too rich (unfortunately not adjustable) with it, suggesting a carb. venturi clogging problem.

One anecdotal case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ethanol in gasoline, March 13, 2013
I have tried this fuel conditioner and have still had "gum up" problems
in all my two-cycle engines. Ethanol in gasoline over a couple of weeks
old seems to absorb water and cause starting problems. I have also noticed

I assume that manufacturers of two-cycle equipment will eventually address this problem.
My equipment is older and has been otherwise well maintained.

If you use ethanol gasoline you should run it dry each use and not keep a container of it longer than a week or so. If you do that it seems to work okay with nothing else added.

There are fuels available now especially for two-cycle engines but they are very expensive.

I now use only non-ethanol gasoline in all my two-cycle engines. Even left over winter,
they all start right up. It's a bit hard to find but easier than rebuilding a carburetor
and replacing fuel lines.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wally World Instead, April 16, 2012
Saw this at Wally World for less. I trust the product to do the job but need to consider that I can buy the product elsewhere for less.

While I am not petroleum scientist, I have had the opportunity to start vehicles that had been in storage for several months with and without STA-BIL. I was easily able to tell the difference. I first started using STA-BIL when I moved to the East Coast, leaving my Ford Explorer behind. The vehicle was in good condition but had 150k miles on the odometer, making me somewhat concerned about starting the vehicle when I returned and/or attempted to sell it. I gave STAB-BIL a try and was very pleased with its performance. In fact, it seems to work longer than the 3-6 months the manufacturer suggests. For nearly two years, I had the vehicle parked in my parents' driveway, much to their chagrin. If I recall, I only put 1-2 bottles in the tank the entire time. I never had a problem starting the vehicle. Ultimately, I was able to sell the Explorer because I had no problems starting and running the vehicle during my brief trips back home.

Other Storage Tips:

Over-inflate the tires to prevent flat spots
Start the car or equipment periodically in the off-season
Get an AC trickle charge or solar trickle starter for the battery
Get an oil change before storage
Consider insect repellants and/or covering air intakes if pests are a problem

STA-BIL 22206 Fuel Stabilizer - 10 Fl oz.
$8.95 $5.99