5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness!!!
After months of searching for light-stands worthy for my collection of photography-gear, I stumbled on this sweet set. After reading the reviews, I decided to give it a try.

Sure enough, the items I got are of very high-quality and appear to be made of sturdy materials.

I tried raising these things and they just kept going up... except my 8-foot...
Published on March 23, 2010 by H. Hatje

2.0 out of 5 stars What you see is NOT what you get!!!
Published on April 23, 2010 by Photographer

2.0 out of 5 stars What you see is NOT what you get!!!, April 23, 2010
This review is from: LIGHT STANDS PRO HEAVY DUTY 7'6" SET OF TWO, WITH ALL METAL LOCKING COLLARS NOT PLASTIC by PBL (Camera)
I purchased this set of 2 lightstands in Jan 2010 and received just as described and pictured. Liked the product so I ordered another set in March...same item #, same photo, same description. What I received was not the same product! The 2nd set of stands had a much smaller footprint (less stable) and have screw tighteners instead of the quarter-turn clamps that were on the first set. Plus, the 2nd set did not come with carrying bags as they were supposed to and as the first set did. When I contacted the seller I was told they no longer had the ones that I received with my first order and that they had failed to update the photo and description. They did say I could send them back for return, but shipping would be on my dime. Of some consolation, they sent me a carrying bag that holds both stands. Bottom line...I would NOT have ordered them if I had known I was not getting the same stands again...the 2nd set was much cheaper quality. Classic bait & switch!!!!

PS...they have removed "includes carrying bags" from the desciption, but the photo still shows the better stands with the quarter-turn clamps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness!!!, March 23, 2010

I tried raising these things and they just kept going up... except my 8-foot ceiling stopped them, so I suppose they can go as high as 9 feet, but proper usage allows them to go even to 8 feet. This is very handy, however, I presume taking them outdoors would restrict their height due to wind when holding reflectors.

They may not be very compact, but if you're just starting out, get these, because they are certainly worth the $50 I paid with shipping for the pair. Granted, they're not a Manfrotto or SLIK or another top brand, but they are most definitely upper-mid-grade.

The only thing I didn't like about them are the knobs to tighten the shaft at the base, it is very tough to turn, but with care they did tighten eventually, and with use I presume they'll get looser. Still, given that, I see no need to remove a star from my rating.

BEST DEAL in regards to light-stands on Amazon... while supplies last or while prices remain under $50. Get some before they're gone!

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: Excellent customer service from Steve Kaeser., April 30, 2013
Well, I've changed my mind.

I'm writing this review June 3, 2013 to update my criticisms with having received the wrong product. Although I discovered that, somewhere down the road, Amazon refunded my order, I was still miffed at having received the wrong thing, and having it break. I wrote an appropriately negative review (see below) originally voicing my complaints, and others seemed to echo my sentiments.

Then, earlier today, I get a call from a California area code number that I don't recognize. Turns out it's Steve Kaeser, the seller whom I purchased from, and he's calling to right whatever wrongs Amazon may have committed in the fulfillment process. He mentioned to me that this 'sending the wrong item' is something that they're talking to Amazon about fixing, that the fault is on their fulfillment, and that he'd like to send me these all-metal stands directly so that I may receive what I'd originally ordered.

Another phone call later, we discover that my order had been refunded (as it was on my credit card, I hadn't checked the statements for a refund yet). Kaeser, still wanting to have me appropriately review the product, insists upon sending me a set of stands as a replacement for my plastic ones.

This is why it's important to pay attention to what sellers you buy from: because if (and when) anything goes awry, it's down to the customer service of the seller to solve the problem. I had all but written off these stands, the seller, and purchasing anything equivalent on Amazon. Then I got that call.

Excellent customer service from an honest business with a real genuine care for the consumer, that's Steve Kaeser Photographic. Hands down the best 'customer service' experience I've had from anything relating to Amazon.

_________________________________________________________

My first review, published in April (for context, although my comments here don't precisely still stand):
These stands were purchased following the recommendation from a friend who received a great product from PBL. My experience was not so. Not only were my stands NOT all metal, as described and pictured, but they broke almost immediately upon mounting my expensive ARRIs on top of them. One doesn't telescope/open at all, and the other telescopes without locking.

An absolute waste of money and a purchase which cost me even more in lost time and money. Terrible, buyer beware.

_________________________________________________________

Back to the new review:

For now, I'm leaving things at 4 stars, up from my initial '1'. I haven't (obviously) received the new stands yet, but will be happy to update my review to 5 stars following some use and test of them. At first, not so happy with the product I got, but now very happy with the transaction. Would do business with them again, easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paid $40 in 6/2011 - Totally worth it!, June 14, 2011
I read review saying the product doesn't match the photos. Well it matches in my case, just so you know. It must be a while ago when they bad the mix up problem.

Anyway, this is no cowboy-studio crap! Weight somewhat light but totally sturdy. The clamps are solid and secured. The extension poles bounce off to reduce impact if the clamp is accidentally release and drop. This thing is TALL! and the 3 legs are long provide great stability! The only thing is one of the zipper on the bag is broken but then I don't think I will ever bag the stands. Therefore, for $40 with free shipping, I give them a 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with quality, July 28, 2009
At the price of these stands (and there were two) I didn't expect very much. But I was surprised as they were very good quality and they each came with a carrying bag. I believe they live up to the "Heavy Duty" as in the description. I've only used them twice so far and will probably only use them very little (about twice a month) and I expect these to last a long time with that kind of infrequent use. I would purchase again and recommend for a non-professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars They perform quite well for their inexpensive price, June 23, 2013
Kim (Willoughby, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I worked in TV broadcast for 28 years as both a DP and as an operations manager and wish these stands would have been available when it came time to buy new gear. I found myself in need of replacing my old Lowell light stands, which are extremely heavy and expensive to replace. Last year I was working for ESPN in Tampa and saw one of the kits, so I looked the stands up and decided to give them a try.

First, they are so much lighter than my Lowell stands that I actually took the Lowells out of my regular kit. These are solid and have a nice wide base for stability. They can easily handle an Omni with a softbank (I still always shotbag my stands) as well as my Arris.

There have been some complaints about the lock-downs loosening up. A Craftsman 5/16 nut driver fits perfectly in to the recesses where the nuts are for easy tightening. You have to be careful about these spring-loaded sections because if you lose your grip and you're standing over them, you'll get a black eye or worse. The good part is if, by some chance, a section decides to come down, your light will have some protection against a jarring stop.

The other thing that I find is a bonus is the individual nylon carrying bags. They aren't padded, but they do provide some protection against scratches. If you're anal about your gear like I am, that's a bonus.

My best advice if you are skeptical is to go ahead and take a chance on these. I paid less than 50 bucks for the pair and they arrived in well-padded boxes...it's a very inexpensive price to pay for gear that normally is quite expensive and I think they will hold up to reasonable use, or for studio functions where they are not subject to harsh environments and a lot of packing and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and a great value!, January 30, 2010
I needed to replace some VERY old Photogenic stands in the studio. These stands came in their own individual carrying cases (nothing fancy, but they work great) and are quite sturdy. No issues with extending, clamping, and the knobs tighten just fine. I am probably going to purchase more of these stands for the studio. 2 thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stands, great price!, June 6, 2011
I am very happy with these stands! They are durable stands for what I need them for, and maybe even for a professional who uses them all of the time, but I can't rate on that because I'm not someone who will use them every day over and over. If you're an advanced amateur, these will work just fine and the price is great! I would definitely recommend these!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Complaining, December 7, 2010
Well while I was shopping around for decent light stands I came across these. I always scroll down to the bottom to read reviews- especially if its from a brand that I know nothing about. I read a few negative reviews, first about not getting the right product- I think one about them being little cheap things too.

My stands just got in today, I would have had them sooner if the freaking UPS guy would have rang the doorbell...can you believe he just left them at my door and took off- nothing to sign...never had this happen with UPS. anywho
I opened the boxes- they come individually boxed- and what do you know they each have their own carrying bag. Unzip the bag, pull out the stands and unwrap them. They are pretty dang sturdy- a lot better then my last set I had over a year ago, they were these thing little silver stands that could barely hold a vivitar285 and umbrella. I set up the base- set it down- and unlocked the first locking tab- spring loaded, the stand just popped up a bit- and you adjust, then lock back down. No twisting knobs- no chance to really strip anything- it just locks down in place. Yea it can double as a tripod- I set my gripped 7d with a 10-22mm lens and I had no worries with it on there.

What im saying is this product is great- if your expecting something that can compare to anything name brand like manfrotto- then im sure you'd be disappointed or something, or nit pick every little thing wrong with it. For now I cant find a thing I dont like about these stands, for the price Im glad I went with them, it let me order 1 more flash- and umbrella mounts.

To the people who kept complaining they got the wrong product- did you read the receipt that came with your order? The one that says if you are not satisfied with the product you have 25 days to return it? sure its a pain to go through the process of sending something back that you didn't like- but its not like there was absolutely NOTHING you could do about the situation.

Its a great product, Im recommending these to a friend of mine thats getting into off camera lighting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Top pole clamp no longer holds, August 7, 2011
I was thrilled with these light stands when I first purchased them, but problems arose very quickly. After only a few days of use, the top clamp on one of the light stands started to fail. When I twisted the tab to secure the top extension tube, it wouldn't grip the tube tightly enough to hold it in place. The tube would fall and spin, even though the tab was in the locked position. I tried to remedy this by adding a strip of electrical tape, but this was a hokey fix. I figured that I had gotten a defective unit, but then, two weeks later, the same thing happened to the other light stand.

Now they're relatively useless. I don't have a tool that can tighten the nut around the top clamp since there's no screw head and the nut is recessed in. I'm very dissapointed with this purcahse.

Rate and Discover Movies