5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!
Published on August 25, 2007 by C. D. King

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for All Stargate Fans
Being an avid fan of everything Stargate (yes, even the new SGU), I decided to give the novels a chance.

Published on May 10, 2010 by J. W. Delmotte

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, August 25, 2007
This was the first book I've read based on the Stargate series and it was so good that I couldn't put it down. I read the whole thing in one day. I was already missing the series and this was a balm to Sci-fi canceling the show. I wish that they could have used this for the basis of the continuing movies on dvd but since their doing the Ba'al time tampering movie, I don't think they'll use it. The characters are true to form. Sonny Whitelaw & Jennifer Fallon know their stuff. I can't wait for them to continue thier story arc.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for All Stargate Fans, May 10, 2010
J. W. Delmotte "JWD" (Grand Rapids, MI, US) - See all my reviews

This book had excellent potential for a superb plot, but unfortunately, for me, it was just a little dry. I often felt that certain events in the book took longer than necessary to develop, while other events really deserved more attention. It almost appeared as though the author was told, "Your book needs to be this many pages, so start chopping." As is always the case with stories like this one, the events that take place in the second half of the book are the ones that suffered for the short length of the book.

The characterizations, for the most part, were pretty acurate. The banter between Daniel and Jack was not exactly spot-on, and at times I almost thought to myself, "How the heck did Jack O'Neill become a General being as ignorant as he is?" Teal'C was well-written and, thankfully, not too overwritten, as I have often seen in these novels. Daniel, while his characterization was captured well, was almost a useless character in this story, the author having given him mostly little places in which to fill in information gaps. By far, the best-written character in the book was Vala Mal Doran, who was true to the TV character in almost every way.

When writing this review, I knocked off 1 star for what I have written above. I had to downgrade another star for the absolutely dreadful editing job done on this book. The number of spelling errors, misplaced words, etc. in this book was almost too distracting for me. I would eagerly volunteer to re-edit this book and any future books for a fraction of the cost that the editors are being paid. The publisher should be ashamed they let this book be released with the number of errors abounding.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, absolutely (provided you can ignore the bad editing). It is not among my favorite SG books, but is well worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who drink the stargate kool aid., May 22, 2012
Michael Davey (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: STARGATE SG-1: Roswell (Kindle Edition)
Stargate books, for me, is a guilty pleasure. I came late to the Stargate TV franchise, never having watched much TV when the series were on (except SGU). But after watching the entire series from start to finish, SG1, SGA and SGU and the two movies, I came to really enjoy the franchise.

One day, having been missing the show and not wanting to watch any of the series again for at least another year, I thought I'd try one of the books. This isn't the first I've tried, but it is the first I'm going to review. I purchased this book while waiting, ever waiting, for the fourth book in the Stargate Atlantis Legacy series (due to come out June 28, 2012), which I have been enjoying immensely. Enjoying the books, not the waiting.

First, if your going to read it, I think your going to want to have seen the series. There are just so many references to the series, so much taken for granted that the reader knows, I doubt someone who hasn't seen the series would enjoy this book. I suppose it's possible. But I do at least have a smattering of memory of some of the back story, so it's difficult for me to tell if this would break the book for someone who doesn't. But IMHO, its a book for those who have drank the kool-aid, and want more.

If your looking for the great American novel, look somewhere else. If your looking to fill up some of your time with a book that has the feel of a Stargate SG1 episode, then you've come to the right place. The writing is pretty tight, the dialogue believable. I'm not entirely sold on the alternate timelines theory of stitching up the plot, but that's the writers (or MGM's) prerogative. At least I think its more reasonable then the actual multi-dimension theory floated by some real cosmologists and has been featured on the show in a number of episodes, featuring a mirror. Or Vacuum energy-slash-bridge.

The beginning of the plot is: SG1 is out on a mission to a converted Ori world. The natives are restless. And armed. As Cameron, Teal'c, Sam and Daniel are heading into the gate followed by raging convert fanatics, several Ori Priors spring a trap and use their staffs to fire energy beams at the gate, attempting to do dastardly damage to the Stargate room on earth. There is damage, but it also energy spikes the gate during the transit of SG1. They are sent back in time to a point when there wasn't even a gate room. The gate Kawoosh creates a exit-less cavern in the middle of the mountain, then the wormhole shuts down and the gate disappears leaving the team to suffocate to death in the past. It's up to Vala and General Jack O'Neill to go back in time and rescue the rest of the team.

In all their efforts to survive and get home, the timeline is altered creating significant difficulties for SG1.

The only real complaint with the book is it seemed rushed. A lot happens, a lot we never get to read about. It's understandable why we don't read about Vala's adventures, but we should get to read more about Cameron. But I understand. They don't want the books to be too long. But as I say, a little rushed. As long as you don't look at the plot toooo closely, its a good read.

There may be two versions of this book on Amazon for the Kindle. I purchased the Kindle version that is 311 pages (estimated). The other version says 357 pages with real page numbers. The two versions have different prices. The 357 page kindle version is 27% more money.

It might simply be a case of different scan methods, or it might be a different edition that has been edited. If anyone knows if the books are different, I'd appreciate you letting me know via the comments.

Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Mess, February 20, 2008
This book has Jack, Sam x 2, Daniel, Teal'c, Cam, Vala, the Asgard, the Goa'uld, H.P. Lovecraft, Howard Carter, baseball stats, H.G. Wells, time travel, alternate time lines, and, as promised by the title, the Roswell incident. It is packed full of stuff -- but not high-quality stuff, unfortunately. It is a grab-bag of disjointed subplots, none of them developed in a very satisfying way. And, though the characters aren't grossly misdrawn, there's no real depth to their reactions.

There were some spots near the beginning where I was enthused about the story and wanted to know what happened next, but it wasn't long before I was feeling annoyed by it all. Adding to my annoyance were the amazing number of typos. This book is just riddled with them, and I can't see any excuse for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stargate Roswell, April 27, 2011
I really enjoyed this book - it was great how it tied history to the story line of SG1. I could actually picture the characters like we see them on TV and they were true to form. Towards the end (last chapter or so) I got a little confused on the timelines and all the time jumping details regarding the Antarctic 'gate; but i got the gist of it. You have to watch the show and really love it to get all the hidden jokes - someone not familiar with the show would be lost on some of those jokes. Being a huge fan and wishing it was still around - I loved it. I was starting to go through 'gate withdrawls. I have read a couple of the other books and sometimes got bored or the characters weren't true to form. This one I had a hard time putting down!! Now with Universe ending - hopefully there will be books that will continue their journey on Destiny!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Panoply of Historical Characters, April 20, 2012
Mario Pollacchi "Gorgon_Leader" (ARMADALE, Western Australia Australia) - See all my reviews
This was the first Stargate SG-1 book I've ever read and, truthfully, it was the time travel aspect that piqued my interest. In that respect it did not fail to deliver, with an illustrious cast such as H.G. Wells, H.P. Lovecraft, Howard Carter and the Roswell incident, itself. Even Mordecai "Three-Fingers" Brown makes a comatose appearance!

The only drawback with the book was the constant typographical errors that abound throughout. Don't the publishing houses employ editors anymore? Possibly, given the current trend in education these days, the editors themselves are bordering on the illiterate and saw no problems with the misspellings. All these errors just make the writers look foolish and amateurish. Pity that.

The regular cast are still there, with the added bonus of a second Samantha Carter from the future. The cantankerousness of Jack O'Neill makes for numerous hilarious situations as he loses control of the Ancients jumper and wreaks havoc in space and on Earth in two different timezones. At least his actions offers an explanation for various incidents in the early twentieth century that have baffled historians and conspiracy freaks for years.

A good read, as long as you're not an English teacher!

4.0 out of 5 stars Should make a movie out of this one, March 26, 2008
This is defiantly one of the more better written stargate sg1 books out there could see it as one of those straight to dvd movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Something for Everyone but Daniel Fans, June 30, 2007
If you like SG-1 team stories, they don't get much better than Roswell. Sam fans will be over the moon with this one, as will fans of Mitchell and/or Vala. Even General Jack is on board for this mission, along with the ever mostly taciturn Teal'c. However, once again Daniel Jackson and fans of the character get short shrift in yet another Stargate SG-1 novel. The events take place over the course of July 7-8 Present Day specifically, along with some other timelines (yes, this is a time-travel story), and not once does anyone mention that July 8 is Daniel's birthday. Some friends these guys turned out to be. Considering that Daniel is the most talkative character, he probably has fewer lines than Teal'c in this story. In addition, the storyline for Mitchell and Vala rightly belongs to Daniel since they actually get to go back to early 20th century Egypt to meet Howard Carter. Nonetheless, this is an action-packed, Steven-Spielberg non-stop action book that will keep you turning page after page.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quantum-Mirror Style Story, May 11, 2008
Sonny Whitelaw has done another great job of writing a Stargate novel. This book is action-packed, with a time-travel story line that rivals the TV episodes with the quantum mirror. Lots of twists and turns, excellent dialog that captures the voices of the characters, and a nice wrapup with just a touch of a mind twist to it. There are a few typos and a few editing mistakes, but they didn't drip me out of the story too much. This story line includes Jack O'Neill, Sam Carter, Daniel Jackson, Teal'c, Vala Mal Doran, and Cam Mitchell as active participants on the adventure. The authors includes some really neat tie-ins to actual events, making this a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 4, 2013
This review is from: STARGATE SG-1: Roswell (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favorite SG 1 books so far. Love the whole time travel thing and having the Asgard along for the ride!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›