Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: STC Rolling Composter with Standard Base, 71-Gallon, 33382
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 17, 2012
I was cautious about this product. I read some bad reviews and wasn't too sure about it. I bought one and was very pleased with the quality. I have one major issue. The base does not have rollers. They expect you to pull a pin out of the base, open it up and roll the ball out. Yeah right.... the pin is small and difficult to see in the grass so I felt very let down by this. I even tried to find the base on the company's website. I found it but could not locate ANY place to buy it. When I ordered the product it said "standard base" that seems mis-leading to me. there is nothing in that to tell me there are no rollers. I thought the fact the the item was a giant compost "Death Star" meant to be turned to help aerate the stuff inside, that a standard base would allow rolling. So please be aware of that when ordering the item.

I expected the item to be roto-molded (like a little tikes toy) but was not. These are injection molded plastic. Way thinner than I imagined, but I understand the need now. There is a ton of backside detail on the parts that could never be there without that method of creation. At the equator of the ball, there are two different kinds of panels. One that have tabs and one that have slots. I wasn't looking very carefully and did half and half. It still allowed me to join the halves, but I realized that the vertical seams need to be staggered. The reason is that the aeration tubes hit each other if you don't stagger the seams. Not the end of the world, but if you read this you may be able to avoid the problem. The whole thing is held together with speed clips. (similar to the ones that hold the wheel wells in on a modern vehicle) so I built this thing needing only one screwdriver.

The item is very strong and my son is obsessed with keeping it fed now. We even roll it to the area of the yard where we pick up the grass clippings. He loves that. So the ball is a big hit, but the non-rolling base is unacceptable. I gave it four stars because of the crappy base.
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2014
So I wanted a composter that wasn't difficult to rotate, from other reviews, tumblers once full were too difficult to turn. I got this for its looks as well as function. Once I finished assembling it (lots of little parts to put together, but not hard to do at all). I started filling it, hence the reason it didn't get 5 starts despite its large size I was disappointed by how quickly it fills up. I will update this review after the compost has completed formation. So far, its great to roll around the garden and fill with scraps. It has a small fill hole, but a second section can be removed to allow for larger pieces. Unlike others, I got all the pieces to assemble and them some.
update 4-14-2015
Still love it, my compost was a rich black after 3 months and only a few rotations. The larger hole allowed for it all to come out onto my raised garden bed. Still Love it, would love to get a second one, but the manufacture needs to make rust proof bolts.
on December 30, 2013
4 rather than 5 stars right now because we had a little bit of difficulty assembling. Getting the two halves together was tricky and took two people to finally make it work.

Seems to be very durable, and it slides very easily on the base. We are looking forward to putting it to use, and will report back on results and long term durability...
on July 1, 2014
I've been eyeing this composter for a few years and finally got it. The smaller opening is great for kitchen waste, and the larger opening is nice when I need to dump my paper shredder. The kids play with it by rolling it around the yard which only helps mix things up. Great size for a small backyard with city composting needs.
on July 14, 2014
I have had one of these for four years. I bought through WOOT.com (owned by Amazon). Yes it was a challenge to put together but it has been well worth it. I have found the smaller plastic base works better than the large metal one. Mainly due to rolling it around. It's very hard to get the composter off the stand especially when it's full of compost. My composter is at the base of the hill and I will regularly run it up to the top of the hill and then roll it back down. That's about all you have to do. The composter does the rest. It's easy to get the compost out of the composter by dumping it out through the larger hole. The composter has held up very well for four years no issues. It's also a great conversation piece. Also no issues with animals getting into it.
on July 10, 2014
excellent concept, but unfortunately it is inadequately executed.

the fasteners that hold it together are gradually popping so I expect it to gradually come apart.

I'd give it a life of a year.

A pity because it composts well, is easy to operate, and people love it as a piece of garden sculpture.
on August 7, 2013
I used these at a friends house and came home to buy my own. They are the easiest compost solution to mix and manage. Would buy again.
on October 29, 2014
A little tricky to assemble but it came together fine. Ingenious really. Looks great in my yard, fun to roll around, and seems to get very hot inside so far. Fills up fast so mostly using it for kitchen waste. I do not use the base at all as it is not necessary.
on May 28, 2014
Works really well. I'm new to composting and I love this thing. It's hard to rotate though. That's the only problem I have with it. Otherwise my black gold is looking healthy.
on December 8, 2014
Performs as described but not as sturdy as I would like. I did compost a huge amount of material in one season. Lots of smelly discharge. Will not use next year pile takes longer but is easier.