Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: STM Opera Case for iPhone 5/5S - Black (322-018D-01)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$12.99+ Free shipping

on September 24, 2012
The fit is close to perfection. It is tight and takes some gentle pressure to get it on. For me that is a good thing. I tend to leave my case on all the time and rarely have any need to take it out.

The tight fit and design almost makes the case disappear. I am fully enjoying the new slimmer design of the iPhone 5 and this case doesn't take away from the experience.

I love the feel of the TPU material. Soft, almost velvety, yet with enough resistance so it doesn't easily slip out of your hand.

I like the pattern on the back. The manufacturer says it is inspired by the Sydney Opera House. To me it looks like tire treads.

All the ports are easily accessible and the cutouts are nicely contoured. The opening for the camera is big enough to avoid glare problems from the flash.

The case feels like it will provide excellent protection. And the lip on the front means that the glass will never touch the surface when I place it upside down on a table.

Overall, I am very pleased and actually quite surprised. Given that this case was created *prior* to the iPhone 5 launch, I had my doubts and only ordered it so that I would have something to use on the day the new phone came out. I am happy with the fit and quality. Good job STM!

UPDATE: To clarify, there are couple potential negatives of this case, depending on what you are looking for:

1) The tight fit (already mentioned) is a plus for me as I very rarely remove cases. But if you need to remove it often, this may become a hassle.

2) The cutouts for the buttons are just that ... cutouts. The last case I had (on my iPhone 4S) had little rubber buttons placed over the volume and power buttons. This provides a bit more protection (from moisture, etc.) and for some might be easier to use. I am finding that I like the approach on this case. There is very little way to press the buttons accidentally and I like the tactile feel of using the actual button. But if you have large fingers or long fingernails, it might be difficult to easily access the buttons.

AND ANOTHER UPDATE: It is just a case, right? But I enjoy detailed reviews when buying a product. So I thought it worth noting an additional nitpick. For some reason, the top part of the case is not completely flat when on the phone. On the other three edges, I can balance the phone in the case, but on the top, it has a *very* slight curve. Most people would not notice this at all and it is not annoying enough to cause me grief, but I am taking a star away because of it.

This is so minor it could be just an issue with my particular case, or it may be a result of the very tight fit. As I mentioned before, I see the tight fit as a bonus. This case has absolutely no give when on the phone, making the case sort of disappear.

Even with these caveats, I remain happy with the case and it works great for my needs.
55 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
So with all this talk about the black iPhone 5 and it getting scuffed so easily (google "scuffgate"), I decided to be proactive about my new device and get this case. I'm glad I did!

The case is reasonably easy to insert my brand new iPhone 5 into, though I did pull on the material to get my iPhone in there with the least amount of force possible. Once in there, it fits like a glove, and feels very solid. You never know with cases that are on the market before the device is, as all the manufacturers have to work with are the dimensions. Without physically having the device, that can sometimes not work out too well.

Thankfully this is not the case (pun intended). This case really fits nicely, and is quite solid. It's very reminiscent of the Speck PixelSkin HD, so if you liked that case on your iPhone 4/4S (as I did), you'll feel right at home with this.

Thanks for the great case, STM!

5 out of 5!
on September 24, 2012
I really wanted an Incipio case for my iPhone 5.

We've had very good experiences with them on the 3Gs and the 4s so, I naturally looked up the available options and decided on the dual-pro. Unfortunately everyone, including Incipio were charging ridiculous amounts of money to ship their cases and Amazon prime has made me a scrooge about paying for shipping.

After a fruitless few minutes researching alternatives, I happened upon a single review on Amazon that actually seemed to have a ring of truth. I needed a case, it was prime eligible, so I shrugged and ordered the case.

The case arrived promptly and on time.

The material is high-quality, rigid rubber. There is some give and flexibilty around the corners but it's a lot stiffer than the Incipio NGP cases. They even went so far as to chamfer the edges of the case to match Ive's latest iPhone signature. Nice touch. The rigidity may have some effect on how much cushioning it will provide the internals in case of a drop, but it will probably handle knocks and dings pretty well.

As others have mentioned, it's a tight fit. Think Benetton or Armani pants rather than hospital scrubs. However, it only took me about 2 minutes to get the case on the phone. Just slide the top of the phone (camera end) in and then gently pull the bottom of the case over the speaker-end and you'll be fine. All the holes and cutouts line up well and the phone is barely any thicker with the case on.

The one minor complaint is that the cutouts for the volume, mute and power buttons are a bit too deep and they are slightly difficult to depress. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the a total PIA, I would rate this a 2.

Once the Incipio cases arrive at a retail store, I may still go and check out their offerings to see how they compare. Either way, I will be keeping the STM.

Recommended.
on October 29, 2012
I purchased the white model and overall, it's a decent iPhone 5 case. I had no problems with the "fit" of my case. The only problem with these 'slip-on' cases is that the side of the case lacks strength. The sides are too flexible and thus it's very easy to grab the phone only to twist the side of the case.

I don't agree that this case is 'slippery' ... the rubberized back help to keep the phone stable and was fine for normal usage.

I didn't have any issues with the camera.

Since I chose the white case, it does pick up dirt/grime a bit more easily than other colors. I had no trouble cleaning it however.

This case does add a slight amount of weight but it's nothing to worry about. I'm keeping this for a backup as I've already upgraded to a Spigen case.
on November 16, 2012
I purchased this case for the new iPhone 5 before it had officially been released. The fit and finish were superb considering the fact that STM manufactured this case based on schematics before the phone had been released. A few months later and this case feels just as sturdy as it did the day I received it. Since then, it has saved my phone from several falls that could have easily scratched the front glass or back aluminum.

My favorite feature is the slight protrusion of the case forward around the frame that ensures the front glass doesn't touch the surface in the event of the phone falling face-down.

Overall, highly recommended.
on September 22, 2012
This case fits fantastically. It is flexible, yet solid enough to provide all of the protection that you would expect out of a case. It fits the phone perfectly and has all of the openings in the right places. Also, the pattern on the back of the case is particularly attractive looking.

My only complaint is that the material around the power button is a little thick, making it a bit more difficult to access that button. However, this appears necessary to provide the appropriate level of protection around the perimeter of the phone since this is directly above the rear facing camera.
on June 26, 2013
The title pretty much says it all. Very disappointed that most iPhone 5 cases (especially this one) come in this extra tight fitting, extra slim profile made out of rigid cheap plastic. The fit is so tight that it curled my screen protector on the first try getting it on. Putting the case on takes some brute force since it doesn't easily snap on like one would expect.

$18+ dollars for a few cents worth of cheap looking molded plastic? I feel ripped off. Wish there were silicone/gel options such as there are for the iPhone 4/4S.

I recommend buying 2 or 3 different cases worth no more than $10 each and returning the ones you don't like. Just don't give this one a chance.
on October 14, 2013
First of all, it's a hard plastic. No grip to it. I say this only because that was a huge buying point and for some reason I thought it was rubber or had a texture that gave it grip. It doesn't.

Second of all, when taking photos it causes ghosting in your photos. I read this about white cases and didn't believe it but it's true. The hole that exposes the camera and flash is white. When you take a photo the flash reflects off the white casing and causes ghosting. I ended up having to take a black sharpie and coloring in the inner ring of the casing which seemed to have fixed the problem.

Third of all, it does tend to push up any screen protector you have installed on the glass. Has a great bumper which allows you to place the phone face down but unfortunately the bumper does tend to push your screen protector up causing bubbling and eventually dust under the bubbling.

I would not recommend this case unless these issues don't bother you. It's not worth the $16. You can get cheaper cases that work just as well if not better. I already sharpied my case to fix the issue so not able to return this one. Oh well.
on October 6, 2012
I purchased this case in grey to protect my black iPhone 5, mainly because the Otterbox I bought at the AT&T store seemed overly clunky for the slim new iPhone. I was also bothered by what I sensed was less than ideal feel for the iPhone's screen with the Otterbox's built-in screen protector.

I decided to try out this slim STM case and apply an anti-glare screen protector, as I had done with my old iPhone 4 coupled with a really elegant case + holster from Case-Mate.

The STM case isn't quite as elegant as the iPhone 4's old Case-Mate cover, but it's not a bad cover. It goes on tight... so tight that it lifted the bottom part of the screen cover I had just installed and created a few unsightly perma-bubbles at the bottom of the screen.

One other slight annoyance is that although the cover fits like a glove, the cover's lower front portion is a little bit loose, and doesn't provide quite as much protection to the iPhone's lower screen edge.

On the positive side, the STM cover is comfortable to hold and offers a reasonably good grip. All of the ports and buttons are easy to access and control with perfectly shaped cut-outs, and the slight raised edge of the cover nicely protects both the iPhone's front glass edges as well as the screen itself. And most important, it's slim design really shows off the new iPhone's slim dimensions and style.

Given the limited alternative cases available when I purchased the iPhone on the day after the initial launch, the STM Case was a pretty good choice. When I see a more elegant case introduced in the next few months I'll probably buy one, but in the meantime the STM case isn't a bad alternative.
on January 5, 2013
The case itself functions fine and fits very snuggly. Based on the product picture, though, I thought it was going to be a little brighter but found it to a bit darker/drabber than I would've liked. Of course, it's always hard to judge product colors based on internet photos since there are so many variables.