Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more

on July 27, 2012
I'm not really sure where to start here, so I guess I'll begin with a list. People like lists, right?

Pros:
Fits a 10.1" netbook, AND a small tablet (a kindle touch, in my case).
Barely fits an 11.6" netbook (it sticks out by 1.5", so the internal velcro flap can't be secured).
Lots of organizational options, and the front-most pouch expands pretty far.
Stiff padding and soft lining in the main section, to protect expensive screens.
Sturdy material and seams everywhere.
Very easily adjustable strap length--I can do it one handed.
Swivels at each strap-end, so twists are easy to manage.

Cons:
Shoulder pad is a bit stiff.
The front flap doesn't like to lay flush if there's even the slightest bit of expansion in the front pouch;
this makes the corners poke up and completely ruin the slick aesthetic of the bag.
If you're traveling with any medium sized gadgets (smartphones, game consoles, makeup compact, etc.) the front portion gets very cluttered, and the organizational bits become difficult to use.
Doesn't quite fit 11.6" devices (specifically what I bought it for).

I use this bag on a daily basis. This might be an understatement, as I literally take it everywhere. Regular cargo consists of an 11.6" netbook, a kindle touch, a small notepad, three pens, and two usb cables. It has room for far more than that though. Today I'm also carrying two pair of headphones, a large gaming mouse (Logitech G700), and a compact umbrella. It also carries an ipod, bluetooth headphones, GBA SP/DS Lite, spare laptop battery/charger, bike tools, and small food items on a semi-regular basis.
This bag isn't going to fit the kitchen sink, but with careful planning the Scout will more than handle the necessities of most urban excursions.

The only changes I would even dream of making are a slightly taller version, to fit larger devices; an optional strap-pouch for easy access to a smartphone or ipod; and optional/modular cylinder storage on the sides for things like umbrellas, water bottles, and camera lenses.
Most of these features are available in other STM products, and the latter is an accessory I'm considering making for myself, so as a whole I'm very pleased with the product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2014
Arrived today. I like this purchase enough to immediately write a thorough review. Bought it to keep all my manly, miscellaneous everyday items in a single place so I don't run around looking for them every time I go somewhere. Okay, it's a purse. I did toss in a condom and a small knife to plausibly argue against attacks on my manhood.

It's chief purpose is to carry a Kindle,along with keys, wallet, phone, and a compact camera. On one end, I have a Kindle Paperwhite(6.7" x 4.6"). On the other, a Kindle DX(10.4" x 7.2")

Generally, seems well-made. It has a padded strap that is attached by convenient clips on each end.

There is one exterior pocket/slot on the backside, approximately 8" x 8". Kindles fit and likely would be safe, but obviously vulnerable if you turn the bag upside down.

There is a big flap covering the rest of the pockets, secured by a fairly heavy plastic buckle. From back to front, under this big flap you find:

-- One top-loading, padded interior pocket, approximately 7.5" x 10.25" x 1". This pocket has its own flap that closes with hook-and-loop. It is big enough for the Kindle DX.

-- One top-loading pocket, approximately 8" x 9" x 1".

-- One top-loading, flat zippered pocket, approximately 6.75" x 5.75". It is just big enough for the Kindle Paperwhite.

-- Two slots, approximately 3" x 5.5"
-- Two, pen/pencil slots.
-- One attached lanyard & clip

-- One top-loading pocket, approximately 7" x 7.5"

You can see from the picture, it has a decidedly un-purse-like handle on the top. It's just a functional Kit Bag. IT'S NOT A PURSE! Well, maybe it is. In any event, it's near-perfect.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2012
Very excited about getting this iPad case. Allows me to travel light for day trips without my laptop. But, after only 3 trips the male end of the latch broke. It seems it cannot handle frequent openings and closings. Sent STM a request for replacement (nice they have Lifetime Warranty) of the male latch. But, no response nor acknowledgment of my online request after one week. I have other cases, luggage, and gym bags with similar plastic latches for many years with hundreds of closings with no problems. I bought the STM Velo (which is really nice too) after being impressed with this Scout 2, but the lack of good service and quality latches is very disappointing.

UPDATED: added a star for customer service finally came through. They sent me 3 replacements clips.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2014
Picked this up on sale for $20, can't say it's worth more than that to me. It fits my iPad Air in a keyboard case just fine and has good protection around it. However the front pockets don't really give you much room, they are tight and the material doesn't stretch much. I put an extended battery, lightning cable, a few pens, a post-it note pad and a pocketknife in the front pockets and while it will close the front bulges and it's a tight fit. Would be better if there was some stretch to the fabric or just larger pockets. The locking clasp is not adjustable, overstuff and it is possible it might not even close.

I bought it to carry my iPad and a few accessories, it holds that okay, but don't expect to fit much more in it. I wish the handle were removable, short of using a knife. The green color is darker and "greener" than it appears on my calibrated screen, I do like the color better in person. The material is soft cotton, seems durable, but is NOT waterproof. The pocket for your netbook/tablet has about 1/4" padding around all 6 sides. The shoulder strap is removable and replaceable, assuming you can find something else to fit in the loops.

Watch for this to go on sale, but I would not pay full ($40) price for this bag.
on January 4, 2014
I've been using this bag on a daily basis for almost two years. Plenty of room to hold my iPad 2 in a Gumdrop case, cables, wallet, pens, blackberry and a spare phone battery. Has a quick disconnect key fob. I really wouldn't make any changes on it except that the canvas doesn't seem to have a protective coating, so it might be a problem if you live in a climate with a lot of rain. We've been in a drought so it's gone untested in that regard.
on October 23, 2012
First, I'll tell you what my use case is. I'm a grad student who's always looking to reduce the amount of stuff I have to lug around campus. Prior to getting my Samsung Note 10.1, I carried a larger STM laptop bag (the larger Scout bag related to this one: STM Bags Scout 2 Medium Laptop Shoulder Bag , Olive (dp-1803-01)) with my 13" laptop, pens, pencils, papers, notebooks, handouts, glasses, phone, and small purse mushed in the center pocket. I was pretty happy with my arrangement until the Samsung Note came along to alleviate me of all those papers, pens, pencils, and frequently my laptop as well. I no longer needed to carry most of that stuff so I felt a smaller bag was in order. Preferably one with a little style that could double as a day to day purse as well.

Enter the STM Scout 2 in ever fashionable black. This is a great little bag. Here's a quick rundown of the pockets:

- Flat pocket covering most of the back. Good for a folded paper or other small thing. Keep in mind this is for a tablet that's smaller than normal paper, therefore the bag is not large enough for flat sheets of paper!
- Tablet compartment.
- Central unpadded pocket the size of the bag.
- Front pouch - Contains pockets for small things like pens, phone, etc sewn into the back. Otherwise, it's a fairly large catchall.

The compartment for the tablet is very padded and keeps my Samsung Note safe. The front pouch is perfect for my glasses, keys, extra pen holder for the Note, etc.. The central pocket is great for my wallet (tall, doubles as passport holder), travel brush, a little cosmetics, etc.. There's space for a small notebook if you use them for planning like I used to, but then the tablet took care of that for me too. I'm not a large purse person so I'm not accustomed to carrying tons of stuff. If you're one of those people, this might not be enough for you. For me, it's perfect with space to spare.

For the guys, while I'm talking about using this as a purse, I know many of you worry about looking like have a man purse. This is actually a fairly masculine bag, or at least gender neutral. It is what you make of it. No one will ever look at you with this bag and think you got it in the purse section of your local Nordstroms. STM is cool like that. :)

So after the glowing bits, I would like to say the only downside to this bag (and it seems to be an STM trait - my laptop bag had the same issue) is the shoulder pad. It's thick and inflexible, especially overkill for a bag that's carrying such light stuff! My solution was to just remove the pad. It's on there with velcro so not a big deal to remove. I let out the strap and wear it as a cross body bag. No problems with weight digging into my shoulder so far. Still, come on STM... awesome looking bags, but these shoulder pads are ridiculous!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I chose this because I wanted the most macho-looking man-purse for my iPad. Boy does this bag deliver! The design, materials, and style are top-notch. The touches like swivels on the strap, velcro on the main compartment, carry handle that pops through the velcro cover, iPad compartment protection, and so many other touches are great. I took off the shoulder pad because it seemed like unnecessary bulk for the weight I'm carrying (iPad with Logitech Ultraslim Keyboard cover, fits perfect), sometimes with a Kindle in the front pocket (not quite enough protection there but really convenient.

I tell everyone who asks that this is THE solution for a guy who wants to carry just a few things in addition to an iPad. If you need to lug more around then a backpack or messenger bag is probably the right size (STM does make other bags too). Two thumbs way up. I am rarely as delighted by functional objects as I am by this bag.
on May 25, 2015
I bought and used this bag traveling on public transportation and was generally pleased. It is stylish and its size makes it more subtle than a larger bag. However it is big step down from larger messenger/laptop bags which can many addional items.
Pros:
Constructed well with sturdy materials
Side & bottom of iPad section well pad
Has four other sections, one with phone, pen, notepad, phone sections and ability to expand a little for a small item, another with zipper, and another front sections with a small amount of expansion capability, and back available only for a few thin items
Lightweight
Shoulder strap adjustment stays in place and has a generously padded shoulder guard which is removeable
Once front buckle is engaged the contents are secure
Color is pleasant and unique without being garish
Although it's small, it's size and appearance designates it as an electronic instrument bag and not a purse

Cons:
Size too small for anything more than iPad, a few pens, phone, and a few small documents. After that a small cap or scarf is its limit.
Not large enough for anything as large as a full sheet of paper ( it would have to be folded) or a folder
Should guard padding is too thick for the bags size and weight capacity
Limited expansion capability
Section for phone doesn't have a zipper, so the phone can fall out easily as the material is a bit slick
The inner iPad flap and the hand strap makes closing the outer flap cumbersome
Buckling the outer flap is cumbersome due to the buckle being under the end of flap
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just received this. It seems to be as sturdily made as my other bag. There are several pouches for pens, cords and what-have-you. I am only giving three stars because of the amount of usable space. The oblong bag for iPad2 easily holds my iPad in its notebook cover so I assumed this would do the same. I can get the tablet in the bag but cannot close the Velcro flap. The tablet will fit with no cover or just a light sleeve. Very little wiggle room with this bag as opposed to the oblong one.
on January 7, 2014
This is a good, sturdy, well built bag. Perfect fit for my iPad2. Enough space for power adapters, pens and other stuff. The shoulder strap and pad are real nice, doesn't slip off the shoulder. I would buy it again.