5.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done
Pros:

1. It actually turns on. I got this unit after my Crane Adorable Humidifier (Penguin shape) refused to turn on.

2. It just works. I have a 10x13 room and this humidifier took my room's humidity from 21% to 42% in about 3 hours.

Published on January 17, 2009 by BahGoat

1.0 out of 5 stars Pleased...then not so much
Bought this humidifier to keep the bedroom comfortable during the winter months. It has a lot of great features, like the warm mist and dual-facing outflow nozzles so you can get more coverage.

Published on January 16, 2009 by Richard A. Mumley

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done, January 17, 2009
BahGoat (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SPT SU-4010 Ultrasonic Dual-Mist Warm/Cool Humidifier with Ion Exchange Filter (Kitchen)
Pros:

3. I really like the form factor. The unit is only 5.31 inches deep so it can easily fit on top of a short bookcase that also has a small depth. Few other humidifiers would fit where I have this humidifier right now.

4. It is fairly easy to fill. The top of the tank is flat so that when you turn the tank upsidedown to fill it, it can lie flat.

5. I'm pretty happy with the mist quality. Even on the highest setting, you're not going to see fat droplet sizes coming out. You are not going to end up with a puddle on the floor as long as you put it on a surface at least 2 feet above the floor.

Cons:

1. Some reviewers have complained about water leaking out of the tank. I noticed that on my unit, the washer (or o-ring) for the tank cap is a little bit too big. If you turn the cap shut too tightly, the o-ring will roll on itself, and the next time you unscrew the cap and screw it back on, the washer may not provide a good seal because it is out of place. Even the manual tells you to make sure the washer is in place when screwing on the cap. As long as the washer is in place, it won't leak. This is just a slight annoyance.

2. If you are blowing warm mist and you want to change it back to cool mist, it'll take awhile for it to become cold again because the unit does not actively cool the water. You'll have to either pour out the existing warm water in the base or wait until all the warm water in the base gets sent out. I am not a big fan of warm mist so it's a non-issue.

3. The unit is fairly quiet and I am pretty sure most people can sleep with the unit on without a problem. However, I am an ultra-sensitive sleeper and anything louder than completely silent is too much for me. If it was the just the humming noise, I think I would be able to take it, but what bothers me the most is the inevitable random water sounds caused by the ultrasonic plate generating large droplets of water and those droplets of water coming back down. Almost every humidifier will do that. The water noise is fairly low, it is just the randomness of the noise that annoys me when I try to sleep. When I am awake and my computer is on, I barely notice the humidifier because my computer is many times noisier than the humidifier and my computer is already pretty quiet.

Tradeoffs:

1. Yes, the tank is only 4 liters, but do you want a humidifier that fits on a bookcase or not?

2. Sure, the tank only last 12 hours on the maximum setting, but isn't that the point of a humidifier? If you desperately want humidity, wouldn't you want the humidifier to empty the tank as quickly as possible?

Other thoughts:

It is nice that this unit comes with a water filter, but of course the manual will recommend that you fill it with distilled water rather than tap water. Considering that I'll be breathing the water I put into the humidifier, I've been filling my tank with water that I've passed through a Brita filter in a water pitcher. However, doing that is somewhat a pain because it takes multiple pitchers to fill up the tank. I am thinking about getting a faucet filter so that I can fill the tank quickly.

UPDATE: My 10x13 room just hit 50% relative humidity and I'm loving it. My windows are starting to fog up, maybe I should turn it off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathing better., September 12, 2008
Joshua Speer (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I got this for my son and it is the best humidifier yet.
I've tried a bunch of inexpensive ultrasonic, evaporation, and heating element based units but this one is the first that actually went ALL night.
It has a output volume knob that actually works: High is as thick as pea-soup fog and low is merely mouth breathing.
There is a built-in filter on the water supply so that may extend the life a bit but I don't know yet.
The light's aren't the super annoying injection laser diodes that I've seen on other models.
The vapor direction nozzle is nice because you can point the power and water alarm lights away from your bed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best one I have used, December 14, 2008
I really like this humidifier. Last year I tried to use the "Honeywell HCM-6009 QuietCare 9-Gallon Console Humidifier with Air Washing Technology" and was disgusted by the poor quality of it. The thing started to smell like mildew after one week, so I cleaned the filter and it was okay for only one day. We returned it.
The sunpentown humidifier has an ion exchange filter, so it doesn't smell at all. Plus, it is SILENT!! Even on high, you cannot hear it AT ALL.
We use it in a large living room (twice the size of the recommended area) and it works just fine. Also, you can actually see the mist coming out. In the words of a previous reviewer, it really is like pea soup.
We use it on medium and the water tank lasts for about 12-14 hours. If you use it in a smaller room, the low setting would work just fine, so it would last much longer.
The reason I only gave it four stars is because when the setting is on high, the water vapor coming out of the humidifier is so thick and heavy that most of it falls to the ground, getting everything damp and wet, and getting less moisture into the air. In fact, even on the medium setting, we have it set up on a countertop to maximize evaporation. This humidifier does not work well when placed on the floor.
We have had this humidifier for a few months now, and are very happy with it. Also, it looks very nice. It is not bulky and ugly like other humidifiers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job very well, May 29, 2009
This unit got me through some very dry winter days. I'll list the pros and cons:

PROS:
1. It is thin and compact and can fit on a bedstand, unlike some of its big ugly hulking competitors.
2. It is almost completely silent!
3. The steam nozzle swivels so you can direct where it goes.
4. The translucent blue water chamber is nice for seeing the water level at a glance.
5. Finely adjustable mist levels, and hot/cold mist.

CONS:
1. The blue water chamber fills up from the bottom. So you have to take it off, turn it upside down and unscrew a cap in order to fill it up. Not a huge deal, but not the most convenient method either.
2. The entire unit has to be carried from the bottom since the blue water chamber merely sits on the top of the white section. Again, not a big deal once you have the unit where you want it.
3. The hot/cold mist didn't work for me. Maybe the heat element in mine is broken, but I didn't really feel the difference between the hot and cold settings. I didn't really care; cold mist was fine.
4. It's a little pricey as these devices go. But worth it, in my opinion.

Overall, a very nice unit.

UPDATE 2011: This unit is still going strong. It did start making some annoying gurgling noises, so I ran steaming hot water through both the top reservoir and the bottom piece (unplugged first, of course). This fixed the gurgling problem and also gave me a nice surprise: the hot mist feature, which never did anything before, started working! I clean it a little more often now in order to prevent future gurgling, and I put a ProTec antimicrobial cleaning cartridge in there monthly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Humidifier, December 9, 2009
This is the best of the humidifiers I've purchased so far. The mist is extremely fine and the dual direction spout is handy. No irritating mineral deposit pads either. The litmus test will be how long the ionic filter actually lasts.

I've found that I only have to refill the unit once daily if I keep the humidity dial on a lower setting. If you want to raise the humidity, just be prepared to refill more frequently. Of interest is that the warm vapor setting results in vapor that isn't hot so much as luke warm. Still, it's better than cold vapor.

One special notation is that Amazon recommends combining this product purchase with the Protec Antimicrobial Cleaning Cartridges. However, the Protec instruction sheet contained in the package clearly instructs users to never use the product with ultrasonic humidifiers. Heads-up...

4.0 out of 5 stars My family now sleeps better, December 27, 2008
This is the second humidifier our family has tried and it is a whole new world for my wife and daughter. Both of them suffer from upper respiratory allergies, and the nasal passage dryness that accompanies decongestant medications is exacerbated by the low humidity where we live. The first humidifier we used was a Hunter model #33201; it was a glorified fan. Even the maximum setting made no difference in our comfort.

We initially bought one SPT SU-4010 and put it in our daughter's room. After the first night having it run at 1/3 intensity on the Cool Mist setting we noticed that it was significantly easier to breathe in her room than the rest of the house. Of course we immediately bought another for our room, my wife no longer has to take decongestants before going to bed.

The unit is easy to use and to refill, but the one thing keeping me from giving this product a full 5 stars is that when you go to refill the tank, you better have a towel handy because it will drip when you separate the tank from the base unit. It's nothing a few seconds or a little shake can't take care of, but if you're not paying attention you'll leave a wet trail to the faucet. And by the way, you can run the unit at 50% intensity for two nights(roughly 18 hours) on a full tank.

I absolutely recommend this product as does my wife. And she is way, way more discriminating than I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best so far, November 23, 2010
I have had as many as 6-7 humidifiers before the SPT SU-4010 Dual Mist Humidifier. What I like about this product is that is quiet and very effective. I bought it because my 8 year old daughter has to have it when she gets a cold and starts coughing or she develops pneumonia. Running it at half speed will use up 2/3 of the tank in one night. What I don't like is that the manufacturer promoted this humidifier as one that doesn't use a filter therefore there are no filters to replace. Well, there's a filter and it's expensive to replace. Now I found out that I ought to have been using a mold prevention chemical. I just ordered both from Amazon at a reasonable price. I plan on buying two more humidifiers, one for each of my children bedrooms to use during the winter season. I will save more money by ordering a packet of 3 replacement filters that should last at least a winter season each. Something else that could be improved is the design is so sleek that it's slippery when handling it full of water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pleased...then not so much, January 16, 2009

After reading the instructions (some humidifiers are touchy), I placed it on a flat, non-absorbant surface as recommended. This product worked GREAT the first time I used it.

The next day, I filled it up the next day and left for work, hoping to return to a much less dry home when I got back. What I returned to was water all over the bedroom floor, because the humidifer had decided to dump it's contents right out of the bottom.

I buy from Amazon religiously, and rarely have a problem with any of their items, but I can say for certain - between mine and others' negative experiences with this product, they should stop carrying it until some serious quality control issues are fixed.

Returned for refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros / Cons - Very Good, but Some Things to Look Out For, January 10, 2011
Artemaria (New York City) - See all my reviews
Bought this based on the Consumer Reports review. Have had it for over two months in a cold winter and a dry room. In sum, this is a very good humidifier with some annoying deficiencies.

Pros:

Humidity - lots and lots of humidity. This thing works alot better than any of those drug store humidifiers that you will find for $30-$40 and then break after a couple of years. It really generates a ton of humidity and is really exceptional in that regard.

Directional misters - the directional misters are terrific and work well. We have the humidifier in a corner and the whole room gets the humidity because we direct the misters right to the middle of the room even though the humidifier is in the corner.

Low sound - this humidifier is very very quiet. After awhile, you will not notice it in the room at all. We switched to this from a heating element humidifier that finally broke down on us, and that humidifier, which literally boiled water, sounded like a lawnmower next to this one. Extremely quiet, especially based on the amount of humidity that it generates.

Neutral:

Analog controls - this is a matter of personal preference. Every humidifier I ever had with digital controls broke, mainly because the controls broke, so I prefer analog controls, but some people like the digital. For that reason, I'm putting it as a neutral, but for me it is a plus.

Cons:

Filter - I don't like filters and this is no exception. First off, you still have to clean the humidifier. You may have to clean it less often than a humidifier without a filter, but you still have to clean it. After two months - with the filter - our humidifier has developed some mineral accumulations.

Filter cost - the filter costs for this unit are outrageous. $30 for the filter is simply unacceptable, as for the price of two filters I could buy another humidifier.

Warm mist - the warm mist on this is a joke. On the "warm" setting, the mist comes out room temperature. On the cold setting, the mist is a little cooler than that. This is not a true dual-temperature humidifier, so prepare to be underwhelmed. If you really want warm mist, then you may need to buy a humidifier based on a heating element rather than this one.

CONCLUSION -

A very very good, but not great humidifier that performs its main function - i.e.: generating humidity - extremely well. Where it goes awry are the in the details, the lack of a true warm mist, the so-so filter and the ridiculously high filter cost. But there is no perfect humidifier, so make your decision accordingly. Best of luck shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent humidifier!!!, May 30, 2010
Peter Pallag (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We've been looking for a humidifier for the bedroom - here in San Diego it can get very dry in either warm (Santa Ana) or cool conditions. We got this unit in January 2010 after a lot of product comparisons. So far it's been used for over five months on practically a daily basis. Bottom line - my wife and I have noticed that the air is more pleasant to sleep in, and our cats certainly agree. I use it to keep the humidity between 50 - 60%, that seems to be the good zone. I have an electronic temperature and humidity indicator that I check when making adjustments and use that to get an idea whether to increase or decrease the setting.
- It is ultrasonic, so no changing of filters and the amount of mist can be varied. You can go through a tank in 12 hours or several days, depends on the setting, the weather, the size of the room and how much circulation to the rest of the house you have.
- It is very easy to fill. When filling, don't tighten the filter much beyond sealing, you can tighten it so much that it becomes hard to unscrew it to re-fill. It's easy to see how much is still in the tank.
- Besides a very low hum, the unit does make an occasional gurgling sound, which you will get used to in a few days. I don't even notice it anymore.
- The warm mist is not exactly hot, but it is warmer than the room air, so that's nice.
- Don't worry about leaving it on, it will stop itself and a red light comes on. Very informative.
- Based on the visual level of the water and the setting, you will have a rough idea of how long the unit will take to run out of water.
- We use filtered water, which still has some minerals in it (we live in San Diego - hard water capital of the world), and even though all water goes through the filter, some white deposits do accumulate on the underside of the tank. You might want to clean this stuff off (mostly it comes off pretty easily) every few months. In any case, it's on the underside of the filling unit, you only see it when you turn the tank upside down to fill it.
Altogether, we are 100% satisfied with this unit. If it broke down, we'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Rate and Discover Movies