4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Alternative to Really Right Stuff (RRS) L-PLates
Most users may not notice much of a difference between SUNWAYFOTO & RRS. They appear much the same as well as function the same. Both are Arca QR compatible. Both are made from strong, but light weight, aluminum.

The substantial advantage in price goes to SUNWAYFOTO.

Published 11 months ago by John McPhee

2.0 out of 5 stars Too loose!
The bracket fit the D800 okay, but when camera attached to an Arc-Swiss type plate the camera would wobble even though tightened as much as possible.
Published 16 months ago by bob

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Alternative to Really Right Stuff (RRS) L-PLates, April 26, 2013
This review is from: SUNWAYFOTO PNL-D800 L Plate for Nikon D800 / D800E Camera Body Arca Compatible Sunway (Electronics)

The substantial advantage in price goes to SUNWAYFOTO.

There are distinctions in favor of RRS: The RRS L-plate comes with 5 year guarantee and is black anodized whereas this one appears to be painted--although I have not noticed any scratches yet. I respect RRS for its quality and have many of its products including one L-plate for another model.

Overall, I recommend SUNWAYFOTO, with one reservation, although you may draw a different conclusion. I reduced my rating by one star because of an apparent design oversight. RRS L-plates include centering index marks for both portrait and landscape orientation. These marks precisely indicate the center of the lens. For some odd reason SUNWAYFOTO omitted the portrait centering mark. If you are doing panoramic photos this is significant to restrict ghosting and other problems associated with making multiple shots that will later be stitched together. For anything else, it is not necessarily critical.

PS On two occasions, the merchant selling these on Amazon was most helpful and responsive--as good as Amazon--and that is a very high compliment to give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fits like a glove, April 5, 2013
I am impressed with the quality, as well as the fit and finish of this l bracket for my Nikon D800. I am utilizing a Really Right Stuff B30 ball head and full size AS11 clamp.mounted on a Gitzo GT1530 tripod. The combination is extremely stable and light weight. I take my gear on climbs and trails frequently. The SUNWAYFOTO PNL-D800 L plate has zero tolerance, and keeps my camera steady even when using a 400 mm lens. this is a high quality product that I would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, June 21, 2013
As of June 20, 2013
WOW. When I opened the Amazon box, I was expecting to find a few pieces of aluminum, allen wrenches and screws in a zip lock baggie. But, I was pleasantly surprised to find the L-Bracket packaged in a nice cardboard box inside its own custom-cut foam block. There is even a nice piece of padding glued to the inside of the box lid so that your L-bracket won't get scratched up during transit. Seems like a thoughtful touch!

NOTES
- Fits perfectly on the body.
- There is an engraved center mark for the landscape (horizontal) position but not for the portrait (vertical) position.
- The L-bracket is threaded like most other mounting plates
- Four additional screws are included so that you can put 2 in the horizontal and 2 in the vertical position to act as stops ...
- No idea how it will fit if you have an external battery attached to the body. Maybe the others who have purchased can chime in on that.

Update
- On my sample, it is not possible to open the left access panel, if the mount is attached with the center mark aligned in the middle.
If you mount the bracket offset slightly, you can access the side panel, but then your center mark is no longer center.
This affects the side panel which contains the jacks for the microphone, HDMI, headphones and USB ports.
Minus one star; design should be modified - not a deal breaker though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as RRS, but darn good for the money. But that sharp edge?, April 15, 2014
Ken Elliott "masterofgoingfaster" (Daytona Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I've usually purchased Really Right Stuff brackets. I have an RRS on one of my Nikon D800 bodies, and decided to add a bracket to my second D800 body. Since this camera is a spare, I decided to try the Sunwayfoto, based on price. Overall, it is pretty good. But there is a sharp (not like it will cut you, but uncomfortable) edge on the lower front. I hold my camera with my left hand palm up, forming a platform. The sharp edge sits right on my hand, so it is not as comfortable as the RRS bracket. It is not a deal breaker - it is just slightly annoying. For this reason, I prefer the RRS. If it started to annoy me more, I'll smooth it with a file. But for now, it is not enough of an annoyance to bother with.

If money is not an object, get the RRS. But if you're on a budget, this is pretty darn good at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative!, February 18, 2014
I purchased this import at a cheaper cost, than the U.S. made at half the cost. I do not normally do this, but I'm sure the quality is about the same. I am sure that they both CNC milled of steel. It fit's and work's just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars very convinient, January 1, 2014
Anon E-mouse (Washington DC USA) - See all my reviews
For a quick release on the tripod going from portrait to landscape, this device is indispensable. Quality and the finish are excellent, I have used it with my 70-200 attached to the camera, without any problem, although this is not the best way to attach this lens/camera set-up to the tripod (attach the lens to the tripod with the camera attached to the lens is better.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product value and good delivery time., October 2, 2013
Good cost effective alternative to more popular brands. All Sunway L plates I have bought have lived up to expectation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure and reliable L-plate for my D800, December 2, 2012
Since I have a Really Right Stuff L-plate for my D700 which I don't really like, I wanted to order a different brand for my D800. I searched the internet and found Sunwayfoto PNL-D800. I am suprised to find that this L-plate is much more secure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely manufactured and packaged, November 22, 2012
ANDREW D. RICHARDS (Saginaw, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This item is well finished black anodized aluminum and though not exactly the same finish as the RRS and Kirk competitor, is, at its lower price, a bargain. It comes very nicely packaged, also.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE, June 10, 2013
HIGH QUALITY, GREAT VALUE COMPARED TO OTHER HIGH QUALITY L-BRACKETS FROM NAME BRAND MANUFACTURES.
I WOULD BUY AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT.

ARRAY(0x98886510)