Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on December 7, 2006
I bought one of these units and it is horrible. It will not read/use/format blank DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW so it is only good as a DVD player. When you call tech support they will tell you to buy Mitshibusi DVD (only availabe in Australia). Other formats they claim will have 95% failure rates when trying to record. I tried Verbatium, Memorex, Toshiba and they all failed with 90% error rates or more

Save your money, buy anything other than LG, I know I'll never buy an LG product as I feel cheated by the product and slighted by customer service.
on August 19, 2007
I bought one of these and was very pleased with it for about a year. Then, all of a sudden, inside a week, it stopped recognizing commercial dvds. Now it won't recognize anything. LG does not have a fix. From massive internet complaints, this is a common problem I have two LG internal DVD writers on my computers and have no problem with them. I cannnot figure out where the problem is. LG DOES NOT have firmware upgrades or anything useful on the web site. I have reached a dead end. I'm probably going to junk it. Don't waste your money.
on January 24, 2007
I bought this combo unit for one reason.....to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD. Later after I learned how to operate the unit, I hooked it up with my home theater system and that is what I use with my hard drive unit from Direct tv.

I don't know what disc others are having problems with, but i use whatever I can find on sale at office max, Staples, Circuit city etc such as Burn Master DVD-R works great and even House brand from office max have not caused me any problems.

I use the CF card reader to record to DVD from my Canon digital camera and it works fine. I do think more function could have been put on the front of the recorder that were included on the remote.

Premium channels require a few tweeks to record them. Since they are copyrighted by those channels (HBO etc) you have to record to the hard drive (on a seperate unit) and then transfer to your DVD. (I have the Direct TV sony HDD as my primary receiver to record to and then just send it to the LG DVD or VHS.

I use this feature only a few times since it takes some setting up, But as I said my main purpose was to record VHS to DVD and get a better quality DVD than I had originally on the old VHS tape, which the uplink handles nicely if you set it to the 1080p and do not use the default setting that is set when you take it out of the box.

As with any machine you cannot depend on the tech support guys to tell you what you are doing wrong........go online and post your problems and get the replies from those "geeks' that do ths everyday.

I am into my 3 cakebox of 50 DVD-R's , so I have 150 VHS tapes now converted to DVD.

I would like to see some technology that would be like recording cassettes used to be such as 2x or 3x dubbing to DVD to reduce the time consuming VHS to DVD. Waiting on a 3 hour tape to record to a DVD takes.........well 3 hours. Bottom line.....I would not give up this machine until they come out with an upgraded better model or it breaks.
on May 2, 2008
Same problem as everybody else - it stops recognizing any DVD. Mine manifested the problem one week after the warranty expired.
on January 17, 2011
I still have this DVD/VCR recorder combo collecting dust for it failed after about six months when I purchased it late 2006/2007. $330.00 at that time. At the time when it failed, nobody really knew what the problem was. Understand people, LG could care less. I will never purchase or allow someone I know (even my enemies) purchase a LG product again. Now that the unit has been out for some years, the main problem has come to light. The most common failure is the DVD deck..which can be replaced at a cost around $40-$120, depending on whether you do it yourself or not.
on February 5, 2008
There is a serious design problem with these units. I had mine for about a year and only used it a couple of times, as it was in a vacation home. It will not read any DVD's. All I get is a spinning disc icon on the TV. This is a piece of junk! Do not waste your money. Oh, I forgot to mention that there are no LG authorized service dealers in the area and their central repair service center will not work on them if you do not have your original receipt. Again, I say -- this is a piece of junk and do not buy it!!
on June 29, 2007
This unit drives me crazy. rarely use the unit and waited too long to return/exchange at Best Buy. The audio drops out every few seconds. Both the digital and analog feeds are affected. On last day of warranty, LG agreed to repair or replace. Got a reconditioned replacement and it too has the same problems. I wish I would have read reviews before purchasing. This was a lot of money to pay for lousy audio. Otherwise, picture an ease of use is nice.
on April 6, 2008
I've had this for a year and it has progressively had problems reading disks of all types - blank, commercial movies, disks burned by others, disks it burned only a few months before.

I hope someone organizes a class action lawsuit. I will never purchase another LG product again. They've been advertising that they make quality products but nothing could be further from the truth.
on November 15, 2006
Looks like I'm the only one who's had a good experience with this machine. For my purposes, it has performed well. I was looking for a "band-aid" product while I wait for a dish network DVR. I own a horrible early generation Philips DVD recorder and have been resistant to try another one. The recording on both VHS and DVD(DVD+RW's) have worked perfectly including timer recordings. I have an older generation Mitsubishi widescreen HDTV (with no HDMI input) that connected perfectly with component jacks.

My only minor compaints:

-I also can't get the auto-clock feature to work

-Can't get all the basic Mitsubishi TV functions to work on the LG remote which could have helped me get an extra remote off my coffee table.
on January 17, 2013
I bought this used on eBay for pretty cheap. No remote was included. I bought this for just one thing: to watch VHS tapes via HDMI cable to my Onkyo receiver and Samsung TV. I think in the listing it mentioned the DVD player was flaky, I've tried it once or twice it seems to work okay. The HDMI option for the VHS is awesome and I'm completely happy with this feature. One idiotic thing that LG didn't include on the front of the unit is fast-forward and rewind buttons. The kids have been "blind-using" another VCR to rewind tapes (another unit that isn't hooked to a TV). I have finally found a remote control and ordered it from eBay and when I get that I'll hopefully have an easier time with controlling the unit. Maybe even find some other nice features I can try out on the unit. But it sure makes a nice picture out of crappy old VHS tapes so I'm totally happy.