on December 6, 2002
The only reason these knives get two stars is because they are beautiful looking knives. Unfortunatly, they are not very useful. Out of the box these knives are dull. VERY DULL. Dull knives are extreamly dangerous because there is a greater tendancy to slip off the food your trying to cut and so begins an accident. Try dicing an onion with a dull knife. The sharpening steel can not sharpen a blade this dull. They would require the services of a professional knife sharpener. I am going to exchange this set for a new one. Perhaps I just got a bad set.
on February 1, 2003
I am thrilled with this set!! Absolutly beautiful to look at, Very well made, perfect weight, extremly sharp..right out of the box...I use the Chef's knife every day and love the feel of it!
Just be sure to wash & dry it by hand everytime you use them, otherwise they will stain (you'll notice that with lemons etc).
I suggest you try these yourself..I am very happy to have found this set..and for a terrific price!
on January 20, 2003
I purchased these knives because I desperately needed a new knife set. I really liked the all metal design and the shiny copper handles, and they did look like they would be sharp. To my surprise the knives were so dull I had to sharpen them right away!!
Overall I am happy they look nice in my kitchen and I got them for a steal ...!! I would not recommend buying these if your'e looking to invest in a good set of knives. I think you do get what you pay for. Don't be fooled by the way they look.
I just have to say after using WUSTHOF grand prix. These knives are just for decoration!!! If you cook everyday like me DO NOT buy these. Because I could not afford to buy a full set of WUSTHOF, I just bought the 7" inch santoko knife and have had it for 2 years now. That is the only knife I have in my kitchen, you get the rest. It will slice paper like those corny commercials.lol! Don't waste your $$$.
on December 10, 2002
I've had the Sabatier Copper 11 piece knife set and block for about a week and have been very happy with the performance. I really like the copper handles. They are solid/heavy feeling and seem to be a good fit in your hand. They also go nicely through the dishwasher. I know there are better knife sets out there for more $$, but I didn't want to spend a fortune. Count me as a satisified customer!
on March 24, 2003
I have recently moved to my own appartment here at school and thus I had to start cooking for myself. With a student's budget, I did not want to spend too much money on my first set of knives, and so I chose this set. For a price of $ I expected knives that were not stable, poorly balanced, and dull. Amazon plesantly surprised me by delivering these sleek, sharp, and effective cutting tools. I have had them for two weeks now, and even with constant use they have not lost their edge. My friends believe I spent $200 on them because of the attractive styling and excelent quality. If you are looking for a new set of knives and don't want to spend too much money before you learn what to look for, this is a great set of knives for you.
on April 18, 2003
I own a restaurant in southwest Arizona with the rest of my family. I've spent years in and out of kitchens. Recently, I ordered the Sebastier Balance set listed above here.
Here's how I see the knives:
First, the good-
The handling on the set is fantastic. These are very good-quality knives overall, especially at amazon.com's listed price. I'm impressed with the level of dexterity afforded by the blades, I'm VERY impressed with the quality of the utility scissors included, and of course, the set is easy on the eyes, and would make a beautiful display in the appropriate kitchen.
Now, the bad-
The blades themselves are, perhaps, a bit thin for my tastes, but I *have* worked with thinner and been satisfied, so I think that most cooks will be equally happy. As many people have mentioned, the blades aren't very sharp upon arrival. DON'T, for the love of GOD, use the sharpening tool included in the set. It's no good, it's not worth it. I actually wish that Sebastier would have left that piece out or replaced it with something a bit higher quality. However, a counterpoint to that arguement: These are $$$(m.s.r.p.) knives. Were you to spend $$$ on knives at home, you would probably have a pretty decent sharpening instrument, yourself. I suggest purchasing one: they're not all that expensive, and they're worth the money.
This is definitely a 4 out of 5 star knife set, in my opinion. They're by no means the best knives out there, but for what you're paying, they're worth every cent.
on January 6, 2003
I know these are not top of the range knives; they are somewhat light in weight but, nevertheless, heavy enough for good control.I actually appreciated the flexibility of the thinner blade as I carved a prime rib. I disagree that they cannot be adequately sharpened as I had no trouble getting a good edge with the steel provided. They don't hold that edge terribly well but I'm trying to be good at remembering to give them a quick hone before I put them away. It is a striking looking set and the paring knife was a joy to use as I cleaned smallish shrimp. My kids [14 and 10] find them easier to use than my solitary Henckels 10 inch and I'm less inclined to hover while they use them.
All in all I'm absolutely satisfied.
on March 11, 2003
I bought these knives for two reasons - they look great and the deal was unbelievable. They arrived yesterday and they look great on my kitchen counter. I tried several of them out while cooking dinner the past two nights and they work beautifully. The knives are extremely sharp and slide right through steaks, onions, peppers, and broccoli. Not majorly difficult to cut, but they sliced right though with very little effort. Overall a great purchase that will only encourage me to spend more time cooking.
on March 24, 2003
I just got these knives in the mail. They aren't razor sharp out of the box. But if you know how to sharpen a knife, it takes five seconds and they're worth a ton more than the pennies you pay for them....If you can't sharpen knives? Farberware...That's all I'm going to say....They're attractive, nice to handle, sharpen easily, and I'm sure will last a decent amount of time if you know how to take care of them...But that should be the case with anything you own.
on December 25, 2002
The title pretty much sums it up. These are great-looking and great-feeling knives. The copper handles are really nice looking, and the knives are weighted really well. The set was so dull, though, that I had to spend about 45 minutes sharpening them before I could use them.