5.0 out of 5 stars One Last Hurrah! Sabotage Is Sabbath's Swan Song!
Published on April 15, 2007 by Mr. Sinister

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Packaging, UNACCEPTABLE Tracking!!!
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE CASTLE RELEASE; NOT THE WARNER BROS(although I mention the WB release). (You can see that Amazon has applied all 165 - at this point - reviews to various releases.)

You'd think after all the effort Castle put into the packaging (which is extraordinary), that SOMEONE at Castle would have bothered to LISTEN to their final product. They...
Published on April 19, 2005 by Dadio

5.0 out of 5 stars One Last Hurrah! Sabotage Is Sabbath's Swan Song!, April 15, 2007
Mr. Sinister (El Cajon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
There are a few things I gotta say about Sabotage, Black Sabbath's sixth album: First, it's one of my favorites. Probably my favorite over Paranoid just because I've heard Paranoid way too many times in my life. Secondly, that this is the decline of Sabbath. No doubts about that. If you think differently and are a huge fan of Technical Ecstasy, well... you're insane! This was the last time that Sabbah were all on the same page. Sure there are little bits and pieces of greatness after Sabotage, but very little. Sabotage is a grand and glorious rock epic! This is probably the only album that Sabbath put out that flowed perfectly! Where they started to experiment on Vol. 4 and Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage is the culmination of all that. Whoa! Taking a two-year hiatus from touring and recording will do that to you. Everything falls into place. Also, what a great album cover. Ozzy wearing a dress and those really cool giant-heeled suede Elton John boots. Bill Ward in his red spandex pants with his checkered underwear showing through. Geezer with a cane. The 70s! Wow!

Hole In The Sky - Great song! I'm looking through a hole in the sky, I'm seeing nowhere through the eyes of a lie.... Great lyrics Great riffs. The productin value was probably Sabbath's best. Rocking!

Don't Start (Too Late) - Iommi finally did it, he made his little instrumental show-off pieces fit into the rest of the album without throwing it for a loop! Cool little 50 second accoustic blurb that heads right into one of Sabbath last classic cuts.

Symptom Of The Universe - All out metal goodness! This is one is one of those signaure Sabbath tunes that you will alway remember. Yeaaaaaahhhh!

Megalomania - Sprawling! That's is what this song is: sprawling! What a killer epic tune! This song is haunting. One of my personal favorites! Moody and dark and whoa! I love this song! The ghost of violence was something I'd seen. I sold my soul to be the human obscene.... Great!

The Thrill Of It All - Another personal favorite. The lyrical content on Sabotage grew to maturity seemingly overnight. Since Geezer wrote most of the lyrics I'm not sure you can blame Ozzy for most of the juvenile, hilarious lyrics of the past Sabbath albums, but these songs are definitely better written. Perhaps Ozzy was lending a hand? Can I ask the final question if the answer could be sold? Perfect.

Superzar - Sprawling instumental with moaning chior in the background. This is epic. No doubt about that. Are we in some dank, creepy monastery? Sounds like it. This is mood music for a human sacrifice. Beautiful. Cohesive to the rest of the album.

Am I Going Insane (Radio) - Pobably the most recognized song off the album becaus of it's induction onto the greatest hits collection We Sold Our Soul For Rock'N'Roll. Great song. Sabbath really clicked for the last time on this album.

The Writ - Apparently Black Sabbath as an entity were having a lot of legal problems at this time and Ozzy said once that they couldn't go onstage without getting served with a writ or a restraining order or whatever. Thus the birth of this lengthy album ender. Killer tune. Epic along the lines of the rest of the album. Fits perfectly into the Sabotage lineup.

Overall, Sabotage is the most consistent album Sabbath ever came out with. All the songs mesh into a whole and that was very hard for Sabbath accomplish over the years. The fact that they tok a two-year break before recording Sabotage suggests that they needed to be away from each other to come back and make some good music. If Paranoid is their landmark album, then Sabotage is their perfect album. What goes wrong after this is warring egos and drug-addiction and the end of Black Sabbath. Sorry. All good things must eventually come to an end.

Dig it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of Sabbath's decline? Nah, January 11, 2006
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
Some Black Sabbath fans think Ozzy and the gang hit their creative peak with their fifth album, "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," thus their sixth album ("Sabotage") was the start of the group's decline. But other fans loved "Sabotage" and believe that it showed that the band were evolving and maybe even maturing. This reviewer is in the latter camp. Granted, when compared to Sabbath's first five records (especially "Master of Reality"), this album is not very dark or gloomy, and it actually kind of sounds "uplifting." (This brighter sound was made possible because of guitarist Tony Iommi, who brought in "orchestral"-like instruments, including keyboards and even a choir in the song "Supertzar.") But this is still Black Sabbath; "Sabotage" is still a heavy metal album, so the guitars are still very much involved. After all, the chug and churn guitar lick on "Symptom Of The Universe" is quite possibly thrash's first ever riff! The first track, "Hole In The Sky," is super catchy and has a memorable main riff. "Don't Start (Too Late)" is about fifty seconds long, and it's thought of by some people as a filler track, but I think Tony's acoustic string arrangement is very pretty in this song. Track four, "Megalomania," is ten minutes long. It begins as a slow, depressing ballad, but it becomes heavy by the end. The next song, "The Thrill of It All," is highlighted by a bluesy guitar solo, and track six, "Supertzar," is an instrumental with an ominous use of the aforementioned choir. "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" has a catchy sing along ("tell me people...am I going insane?") and some creepy, maniacal laughter too boot. Finally, "The Writ" is another long song (eight and a half minutes in length), but, unlike "Megalomania," this song features some great singing by Ozzy, as well as guitar work which wouldn't be out of place on an early Rush record. So, "Sabotage" is (yet) another classic album from a band who were seemingly incapable of making anything else. This is essential listening for all Black Sabbath/Ozzy fans and heavy metal fans in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Sabbaths finest moments, February 1, 2004
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
What can i say except..AMAZING. Sabbath are such a legendary band, they opened so many doors and influenced so many bands through out their run and even still today. I know that Iommi is one of my faovrite guitarists out there, his riffs are just so heavy, he just bangs the hell out of the guitar. He is one of my biggest musical influences.
But anyway, Sabatoge in my opinion is so amazing because Ozzys voice is just more wailier on this album. Along with the first album. No one can match his voice. The singing on "Hole in the Sky" and "Megalomania" just sends chills up my back everytime. Great lyrics as well, just read along to "Megalomania", you will be amazed. The tracks:
Hole in The Sky (10/10)- Its just epic, for an opener to the album you listen to it and think "Good god! If this is just the first song the whole album must be amazing!" and it is. Tonys guitar is just massive.
Don't StartToo Late(7/10)-The acoustic work is very relaxing and easy to listen to, just a quick instrumental song that leads into Symptom of The Universe.
Symptom of The Universe(10/10)- The guitar riff in this song is the epitome of what Hard Rock should sound like. Iommis fills and harmonies are amazing, with the massive pumping bass of Geezer Butler in the back. Just an amazing, hard rocking song. Ozzys yell is quite the yell as well.
Megalomania(10/10)- Wow, this is one helluva powerful song.Ozzys voice on this track just gives me this feeling each time i listen to it. And the acoustic guitar behind the main riff of the electric works so well. And then the drums come in and Iommi just balls to the wall plays this massive riff. Amazing song.
Thrill of It All(8/10)- This is a good track,not spectacular but the guitar riff and drums in it are the only thing really special about it. Iommi does these double stop riffs which are just awosme. Overall good track.
Supertzar(6/10)-An instramental song which is basically a filler for the album, but has a very omonous sounding choir in the backround, along with the drums building to a huge crescendo..but never really reaching that crescendo...but it leaves you wondering.
Am I Going Insane(5/10)-One of the slower starting songs on the album, it takes a while to get into it, you have to listen to it at least 3 times before its a good song. Beucase the chorus just doesn't seem Sabbath, but with Iommis riffs it makes it work.
The Writ(10/10)-this track, the first time i heard it scared me a bit. The bass line at the beggining and the ominous demonic laughing was very intense and creepy, which is why sabbath is so great! They try adn freak you out, and they always succeed. Wonderful song, the bass in it is just amazing. Geezer really shines.
the bottom line is: If you are a Black Sabbath fan,and you don't own this album...you are not a Black Sabbath fan! This album is essential! So if the review of it was insightful, go pick it up.Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MAY NOW BOW TO THE GODS..., September 8, 2006
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
I remember in 1975, being a skinny stoner freak going to ASU. There was a record store called Rolling Stone (how's that for being original?)down from the dorm on Univesity. I went in there to get a copy of the new Sabbath LP. Just walking there, knowing it was waiting for me was enough to cause near panic. I really loved Sabbath. I wore out 3 copies of Master of Reality in two years! I read CIRCUS and Rolling Stone Magazine (they really hated BS) to keep up on when the new LP would be out. And this was it...I picked up the record. Wow, weird cover. Looks like some of the band graduated from Stoner to Coker. Oh well. I took it up to the register to pay for it. Some older hippy w/facial hair was working the front. "How's this new Sabbath album selling?", I inquired. "Well man, people around here are a little more into music than that". I was too stunned to even say FU. I stopped at the CHUCKBOX for a brew or two and thought about it. No A-Hole was going to say that about BS and get away w/it. I went back to the closet dorm room I called home and threw on the new BS. Man, this stuff is great! The Hell w/what the moron at the record store said...Hey, wait a minute! I called the record store that night and asked for the manager. "I was in earlier and bought a couple of LPs", I told the voice on the other end. "I saw the freak behind the counter put the money in his pocket. Thought you might want to know". Yep, ya don't screw w/BS fans mufo! Went back the following week for the new Uriah Heep. Guess what? The facial hair freak had been replaced by a knock-out red head. Ain't life grand!!!

Sabbath rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sabotage here, November 18, 2010
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
After Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Black Sabbath returned with 1975's Sabotage with less of the orchestral arrangements from the previous album and returning to more straightforward rock. After the experiments from the last album they returned to more straightforward rock. Sabotage is known to be brilliant and to most fans it's the last of the great classic Sabbath with Ozzy albums. To me it's a classic and one of the best albums by Black Sabbath. But there's also a common judgment that Sabotage is one of Sabbath's worst efforts (with Ozzy) and that after SBS the band lost it for the 70s. Well, as you might have guessed I do not agree with this statement and believe that Sabotage is one of the band's strongest albums and holds up pretty well to the other ones. I like it a lot because it's not an overheard one like say Paranoid, it's different but still very good and brings something different and heavier.

The album opens with Hole In The Sky, a bombastic shocker of an opener, a seemingly philosophical song and one of my favorite songs on the album and I feel it's one the best things the band ever did. It's also a song that Ozzy wouldn't sing often after the album's tour as its too high for him. Then Don't Start (Too Late) follows, an acoustic instrumental that we are used to get from the band by this point in their history. It's not bad but I think that the other instrumental song, Supertzar is so epic here that it makes this one forgettable. Symptom Of The Universe is next, highly memorable for being one of the first true heavy metal riff, the song is just amazing as it gets to an acoustic part and then gets back to the heavy riff topped with Ozzy's screaming vocals. Megalomania is not cited often when Sabbath is talked about, it's the band's shorter songs that take the credit, but this is something else. It's a masterpiece that is hard to describe, it's great and then it gets even better as it switches to another tempo and an evil voice sings with Ozzy, then there's the solo and then it gets even faster until the conclusion, you're just left sitting there realizing you've heard something amazing.

Thrill Of It All is a slow rocker, it's not one the high points of the album but it's still pretty good. Supertzar is an epic instrumental talked about earlier, it's just so mysterious with the choir at the beginning and you just have the riff and some percussion at some places and that's it. You just have this intriguing title and that's it. Am I Going Insane (Radio) is Ozzy's showcase, it's him alright as he sings "tell me people, am I going Insane?" it's a great song you get a feeling here of what he would be doing in his solo career. Some may be intrigued by the (Radio) mention, it's actually British slang.

Sabotage is one of my favorite Sabbath albums for many reasons; it's heavier in some ways, epic, it's got some much underrated songs and just some the best stuff they've ever done. It's just underrated, one may think that. Let it be known, I think the band hit their creative peak with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (maybe before) but Sabotage is in no way boring, underachieving or a repeat of past work: it stands strong on its own. As someone already said, it might be the most consistent album Sabbath has done (at least during the Ozzy era), every song has something good to offer. So if you thought the band was over at this point I suggest you give it a listen and we'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabbath at their short-lived peak, February 6, 2003
"followtheworms" (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
This is a stunning album. No joke, there's not a single bad song on here, not a one. This is Black Sabbath's "progressive" album, bringing to the forefront some of the elements they had been tinkering with on the previous two albums. But progressive isn't what we get early on; we get metal, nice and heavy. "Hole in the Sky" and "Symptom of the Universe" are *the* two heaviest songs in Sabbath history. Or anyone else's history, for that matter. "Megalomania" and "The Thrill of it All" start to get a litte progressive-sounding: both have a lot of changes and interesting guitar harmonies, and some cool FX. But the heaviness is always there, and that sort of keeps the sound grounded, from descending into art-metal fluff. "Supertzar" is a nice atmospheric piece; think of it as the Russian national anthem according to Tony Iommi. It's also a cool song to put on if you're driving around in the middle of a blizzard. "Am I Going Insane" is sort of an odd song, but just try to get it out of your head once you've heard it. And finally, "The Writ" is another long multi-part thing. It's cool, but I'd rate it maybe a half-notch below everything else on this album. Wait, I just remembered the cool "Sabbath music box" section in the middle. Nevermind that half-notch stuff. And so ends the album, and so ends Black Sabbath's glory days. They would release two more albums with Ozzy, neither great nor terrible, but not especially significant. All in all, an outstanding effort, and a real nice performance by Ozzy in particular. If you don't already have it, get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must listen for psychologists!, January 6, 2003
Richard C. Jensen (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
Yes, this is definitely Sabbath's best album. The lyrics really speak to you like none before. Ozzy really put his heart and soul into this album, and in his lyrics you get to experience what he really felt during those crazy years of the 70's, when he was tripping every day. This album could provide a whole Ph.D. thesis for a psychology student. It's neurosis at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, April 9, 2007
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
Other than "Paranoid",which is my fave Sabbath, "Sabotage" is way up there,among faves from Sabbath w/ Ozzy.The album is strong from top to bottom.My standouts are,"Hole In The Sky","Symptom of The Universe","Megalomania","The Thrill of It All" and "The Writ",which is one of my fave tunes,behind "The Wizard". Ozz rules and will always be my fave lead singer of Sabbath,although a big fan of Dio too.But that is another subject.

Go get it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars pure excelence, October 24, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
Black Sabbath is my favorite band of all time. I love The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Pink Floyd, but Black Sabbath is still my favorite. Their album Sabotage is another work of excelence, but is too ignored. This album is one of my one of my favorites (including all their albums from 1970-1978). The opening track "Hole in the Sky" is the one of the coolest songs ever. It starts with what sounds like British men just yelling, then goes into this amazingly hard song that doesn't let up untill its end. The next track "Symptom of the Universe" is a classic. The song begins really hard makes you want to head bang. Then the song goes into an excelent blues sounding part.
The album includes other great tracks, but what makes this album a master piece are the songs "Megalomania" and "The Writ". These songs show the Sabs' true talent and maturity. "Megalomania" is pure excelence. This song just has that something that makes it a song that will stay with you since the first time you ever heard it. "The Writ" is what the Sabs' call "the center-piece of the album". A very just statement that is. This song starts with a simple bass line then goes right into the sudden hard start of the song. The entire song is excelence.
This album is amazing in every way. If you don't have it, buy it. Don't download it, you're just saying you don't respect the band enough to gather the 13 bucks needed to purchase it legally. Alright, stop reading this review, get out of your house and buy this required listening NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars this album is the king of the world, April 14, 2007
This review is from: Sabotage (Audio CD)
Sabotage is where Ozzy and the gang did the ultimate thing- they made the heaviest album of the 70's. The debut was heavy, Master of Reality was REALLY heavy, but Sabotage is KING of heavy, baby. It's also a very emotionally angry album with lots of screaming and twisted lyrics from Ozzy.

"hole in the sky" opens the album with an almost orchestra-conducting like guitar riff, and the drumming is quite excellent as well. Nobody knows what the lyrics are in the chorus- is Ozzy saying "take me to heaven" or "gateway to heaven?" That's for YOU to decide! After the song ends, "don't start (too late)" comes in next. It's just an extremely brief acoustic bit that leads into the next song. However, even though the song is not even a minute long, it's worth mentioning. Why does it sound so familiar? I think I heard that same acoustic melody on a PBS show, like Nova or something. Really! I'm not kidding!

The next song is not only an amazing song, but an extremely influential song as well. It must have been responsible for Metallica and countless other bands forming. What is this song, and why is it so important? It's called "symptom of the universe". It's a, and I kid you not, THRASH metal song. Yup, in the mid 70's Black Sabbath created thrash metal. Listen to that guitar riff. It's unlike anything Sabbath or any other band had done before. Also worth noting is how the song ENDS with a switch in melody (the "switching" point is ripped from a 10cc song, shhhh, I won't tell!) to an acoustic guitar. Why am I mentioning this, you wonder? Because every other metal band must have heard this idea, and thought it would be better to switch the acoustic bit to the BEGINNING of their songs, before the electric guitars kicked in. With "symptom of the universe" the song actually ends on an acoustic note. God, Ozzy positively SCREAMS throughout this song. It's amazing how his voice was able to hold up!

"megalomania" is probably the longest Sabbath song in history (well, besides the blues jam on the debut album). It's nearly 10 minutes in length, and put together nicely. One nice vocal melody that jumps straight into another one, with a short piano solo in the middle leading into a faster, angrier part. "FEEL IT slipping away, slipping in tomorrow, now I found my happiness, from the depths of sorrow!" Good lyrics. At least, a girl I once tried to impress liked the lyrics. We were meant to be together, but then, I chickened out and couldn't ask her out on a date. Anyway, another thing about the song I want to mention is how the guitar riff you start hearing around the halfway point turns crunchier with every time it repeats. I didn't notice it until a few listens in. Also, really neat studio trickery with dark creepy voices repeating every line Ozzy says can be heard in the background. What a track!

"the thrill of it all" has a nice riff in the beginning, before turning soft and Brady Bunch-like towards the end. The lyrics are worth noting, with Ozzy talking about Mr. Jesus and believing in man. "supertzar" is nothing but a bunch of Gregorian chants. I don't even know what they are, but they dominate the song! NO WAY Ozzy can be one of the male singers doing those voices. I simply refuse to believe it! Probably Bill Ward is one singer. Really good song, and the electric guitar riffs that blaze nice and neatly behind those voices is something metal fans can brag about, too.

"am I going insane (radio)" is memorable for that fuzzy vibrating thingy playing in the background. It keeps vibrating back and forth! Sort of like the song "paranoid" did, now that I think about it. It may have been a hit at one time, but no more, says I. I also believe "am I going insane" was ripped from an old Pink Floyd song on the Relics album. Ozzy, care to share whether or not this is true? You know it is.

"the writ" is a very angry song lyrically, and the emotions this song delivers are especially interesting. Actually, it's the way Black Sabbath manages to combine those lyrics with the shifts in musical direction that really amazes me. For example, the song turns into a lullabye at the end with Ozzy wanting people to sympathize with his words, and then a sign of hope appears when the melody switches and the guitar comes in with Ozzy singing "a smiling face it means the world to me, yeah" and "but everything is gonna work out fine, yeah". A hard rock band that was actually able to make the music match the lyrics, even when it kept switching around through different melodies and emotions. Awesome! That's the one thing Black Sabbath did extremely well.

Overall, Sabotage is Black Sabbath at their angriest and loudest.

ARRAY(0x9d0f3474)

Sabotage
Sabotage by Black Sabbath (Audio CD - 1990)