Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: 4-Port USB 2.0 (Black)|Change

on May 29, 2013
I just received this item and it does work, but use caution when using it with external hard drives. It seems that any action, such as turning on or off a switch, as well as plugging in or unplugging a device from any of the other ports not currently in use causes a temporary power disruption and will throw your external hard drive off. In other words, you get the warning message that the drive was not properly disconnected. And as this can be bad for hard drives, be sure to properly eject your expansion & flash drives before turning off or on any of the ports and before adding or removing any connections.
1919 comments|803 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have several usb hubs. External USB hubs really save on the wear-and-tear of using your computer's valuable usb ports. Relying on your computer's port adds extra strain on the motherboard not to mention slowing down app's that are open.

The ideal situation is to have a usb hub that draws its power from the ac and to be a separate external connection to your computer.

What separates the "older" model usb hubs from the newer one is the devices total output ability.

THIS is why this hub is very good. It has a maximum output of 900mA over the four hubs.

When I use usb hubs, I bypass plugging it into a computer because you'll inevitably put unnecessary strain on the motherboard. Use a usb-ac adapter (like in the video).

***

This Sabrent is excellent because I could never charge more than 2 devices without the device flashing red, indicating to unplug one of the devices. With this Sabrent, not only have I plugged in three devices but they were

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Asus Transformer Hybrid computer
HTC Evo 3D smartphone.

A side benefit is that you have the option cutting off a port once a device has reached its maximum charge capacity.

Excellent.
4646 comments|283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2015
Here is my review of the Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub and 5V/2.5A power adapter Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs included 5V/2.5A power adapter (HB-UMP3):

My laptop has only 2 usb3.0 ports, and I have a plethora of devices that I have to plug in. Ethernet to usb, external hard drive, mouse, flash drives. And I really needed something to fit my needs. I found many devices that I thought would fit my needs, some looked tad nice than this one (with brushed aluminum and sleeker designs), but this was the best one I could find that had a power adapter. One main concern I had was powering my external hard drive. I didn't want it to run on low power, which can damage the drive. And having multiple devices plugged into one port doesn't supply them all with the right amount of power. So this one it is!

I received the item from my residence hall's front desk (go college!). Prime 2 day shipping worked like a breeze (unlike last time...). As soon as i received the box, i turned it on its side to carry it with one hand: and I could feel the contents of the box shift and smack the bottom of the box. My heart sank. I bought this with the UTechSmart Uranus mouse (review here: ). Opening returning to my room I opened it and found that they had only but bubble wrap between the two items, and not around the two items. What idiot packed my box?!?!?! I was hoping nothing would be DOA because of shipping.

The actual box for this was fairly nice. Sleek black cardboard, well wrapped parts. Came with the hub and attached usb cord and a nice long power adapter. I opened it up and plugged it in! I decided to try all my items one at a time. First the Ethernet. Plugged it in and... nothing. Tried different ports, tried turning on and off the buttons. Nothing. Unplugged the hub, replugged, and still nothing. Losing hope I unplugged everything, replugged, and it worked?! After further testing with various devices, I think I believe it is this. If you unplug without ejecting the hub, my CPU doesn't like it and has issues reconnecting the devices later. So after a small heart attack it works.

Pros:

power adapter (5'8")
4 USB3.0 ports
buttons to turn items on and off
works well with all my various devices
speed seems to be doing fine as well

Cons:

Only comes in blue
LEDs only light up the bottom half of the buttons
ports are super tight, all devices have to be forced in and out
USB cord is a tad short. Would have liked to see a few more inches on it
Bit finicky with disconnecting and reconnecting

Overall:

Has lots of pros and cons. Cons are a few things that I can work around, so I am happy it works. For 16$ it’s not bad. Will edit if something comes up later. Due to the issues I've had, only 4/5 stars for the product. If I could give amazon a separate rating, it would probably be 2/5 stars. (one star up from my last shipment)
on June 8, 2013
I'm looking for a USB port with an individual switch so I bought this
one, for the price its a best buy.

so this is my review of this product.
Pros and Cons.
+Individual switch and matching individual blue light is a plus
+Push ON/OFF button for easy operation
+Not bulky design, plastic enclosure seems ok
-USB wire is short for this model but some have long cable

Im an electronic enthusiast and I know what are some flaws
to this device.
1. This is a push button switch and made of cheap switches
so expect the more you used the switch someday it will fail
2. These have individual LEd lights so if you connect this to a laptop
and you connect several devices to these USB ports on some
cases your device may not work and consumes energy from your
laptop.
3. This device dont have a separate power and it only gets power
from your laptop/desktop, you may encounter devices attached to
this USB port that will fail or not detected, that is due to no enough
power to the device.
(Try to disconnect this USB port and plug in your device directly)

overall recommends this USB port with some things to consider
1919 comments|215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2015
Friday I needlessly returned this product as defective because when I plugged it into the power adapter the individual port indicator LED's only lit for ports 2,3, and 4 when the corresponding button was depressed. I incorrectly assumed that the device was faulty and asked for an exchange which was thoughtfully overnighted to me. Imagine my dismay when exactly the same thing occurred with the replacement. I had not even bothered to connect the first unit to a USB port because the indicator LED for port 1 didn't light. This time I was curious to see if port 1 would even be recognized when the device was plugged into a USB port and a flash drive installed. I plugged the device into a USB port, depressed the button for port 1 and it's LED lit up. Apparently when connected to the power adapter alone the port 1 LED does not light up and unlike ports 2,3, and 4, only lights up when the device is connected to an active USB port on a powered up machine. It would be nice if that little tidbit of information was contained in a small explanatory note. It would have saved a great deal of time and frustration for both myself and the Amazon rep. I spoke to. Absent information to the contrary one would naturally expect all 4 ports to behave the same at all times. The manufacturers are making things needlessly difficult for themselves, their distributors and end users by omitting any helpful hints in their packaging. Further experimentation has revealed that port 1 does nor receive any power from the power adapter, only from the USB port it's connected to. One of the reasons I purchased a USB hub with a power adapter was so I could charge USB devices without having to have my computer powered up; examples being my Bluetooth headset for Dragon and a flash drive audio recorder. It's nice to be able to charge these devices without the computer running, just don't try and do it on port 1, it won't work.
I'm a software developer and have a lot of hubs, and this is one of my new favorites for portability. It's lightweight, doesn't need any power adapters, and has the individual power switches (with individual LEDs that light when on) for control. And it's USB 3.0!

The only downside is if you need a lot of power. Because this doesn't have a power adapter to supply the full amount of USB power to each port, you're limited to low power devices. Also, if you need more ports, then this probably wouldn't be what you want. But for what this product is (a small, portable, and fast 4-port USB 3.0 hub), I really like it!

NOTE: Be mindful of power limitations, like when attaching mechanical HDs, devices that suck up power to recharge, and other "high power" devices. Total power should not exceed 900mA when plugged into a standard USB 3.0 port or 500mA when plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port.

If you don't need USB 3.0 speed, and USB 2.0 will do, then you can save some money and get this instead: Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)

NOTE: I was sent a free product sample for review.
99 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2013
Very defective.

If the device moves or gets touched at all, the connection is interrupted. And if its tethered to a laptop (the most obvious use for a device that gives you more USB ports) its going to be moving a lot. This makes it unsuitable as hub to any external drives, you wouldn't want to transfer any data through that unstable connection.

Also the design is awkward, the cable is so short that the the slightest of shifts causes a disconnection.

And because its so touchy, you really wouldn't want to be messing with those buttons at all. I'm looking for something to replace it now.
1212 comments|161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2015
A great little USB hub. I love the fact that it has buttons with blue light indicators to turn individual ports on and off. I was hoping to get the one with the power adapter hole and I did get that model! (Model HB-UMLS) BUT...The packaging and info included did not include any information of what kind of power adapter I'd need. The hole for it measures at 5mm but I'll have to look up what exact voltage and amperage I need.

In one of my pictures (attached) I show it powering a Razor Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 keyboard and a Logitech G35 surround headset (and a scanner and a second laser mouse - which don't use that much power anyway; mostly data).

Plugged my phone in with both of those going and it wouldn't even register as a data device. I disabled the other two ports with those devices in them and my phone came on as a data device and started charging. I guess it can only power one device that needs that much power. It can power more if I get the right adapter.
review image review image review image review image
on December 26, 2013
Both my wife and I were really excited to get these as we needed more USB ports in our laptops. Thought these would solve the problem. Boy were we wrong! Have the time they wouldn't recognize a drive and when they did..they often lost connection when you tried to save to a connected drive. It became extremely frustrating and actually lost a work file when I cut and pasted from my desktop to the connected drive as it lost contact 3/4 of the way in. Had to recreate the file as the file became corrupted.

My feeling is buy a better device and pay a bit more because these were terrible!
on July 1, 2015
This little hub works great! I have plugged my Miracast Dongle into it and it powers it up just perfectly. I can also plug my phone into it and use it as a charging port. I plan to plug a Bluetooth adapter/receiver into it as well and hopefully turn my TV into a Bluetooth capable TV...we'll see! Either way this hub works as described and I love it's small, lightweight design!
review image review image review image review image