Before proceeding I want to disclose that I received a review sample from the manufacturer. Another point I need to make is some models on this page come with switches and indicator lights. The sample I received is the same part number as what is listed in the product details for HB-B4U3, so if you read reviews that discuss switches or lights that is not the model I am reviewing.

I tested this on an older Dell PC and an Acer netbook, both running Windows XP and it worked perfectly on both. More importantly, not only did this hub connect to my Galaxy Note II phone for data transfers, but it also charged it. Not all hubs that I have tested in the past would charge the phone.

This hub operated perfectly with all four ports filled (a mouse, a high-speed wireless G adapter, my phone and a camera. I used the wireless G adapter to route between two networks with my built-in wireless adapter while downloading photos from the camera and transferring files from my phone. All this over the slower USB 2.0 port on my computer. Had I been equipped with USB 3.0 it would have been even faster, so I am impressed with the hub's electrical level construction.

The physical hub is also impressive. It has a plastic case with an an aluminum top. That not only provides a sturdier housing than many of the plastic body hubs on the market, but I am sure it also reduces radio frequency interference (I have no means to measure that aspect so am guessing.) Another thing about the physical construction that impressed me is the heavy gauge cable (a short pigtail, actually) and the strain reliefs at both the USB and hub ends. Sabrent did not cut any corners. The icing on the cake is the ports all were within tight tolerances because they were not too tight or loose when inserting or removing cables - and I tried a variety of them, both cheap and of higher quality. The USB plug end perfectly mated with both my Dell and Acer.

Overall this is a sturdy hub that provides a compact way to connect up to four extra devices into your computer. It will also function as a four port charger for phones and tablets in a pinch, but I am not sure I would use it in that capacity because dedicated chargers have overload prevention circuits that this lacks. My honest opinion is this is one of the best hubs that I have tested.
on April 9, 2015
I'm having wifi issues when it's plugged into my MBP. At first I thought it was a problem with my MBP, but I now see that another user has the same issues. Essentially, my computer loses its wifi signal when this is plugged into either of my USB ports. Too bad for me this didn't work because I need more than the 2 USB ports my computer offers. :-/
on November 3, 2014
This worked perfectly for my client with a new iMac computer...Unfortunately, new iMacs, with the new bluetooth keyboard, lose two of their USB ports which were on the sides of the older USB connected keyboards. This hub was just right to add a few more ports. It has a great (3.0) transfer rate and the connections are firm and solidly secure.

This appears to be a quality product at a good price.
on March 23, 2014
The Sabrent 4 Port Portable USB 3.0 Hub simply works. It's a workhorse. I have a laser printer, wireless mouse, keyboard, and laptop cooler all connected. Having used this particular item now for sometime I can attest to its quality. Having never bought a Sabrent product I was a little weary at first. No longer, I will be watching out for more from this manufacturer in the future.
on January 2, 2014
I'd order this item for my Asus ZenBook ultrabook, in case with only one USB 3.0 port available. This was very unusable when I need to copy files from my pocked HDD to flash drive or smartphone (other one USB 2.0 used for wireless mouse). This product have vwry good quality. But it's rather big and only upper cover aluminium finished and ather case parts is plastic. Speed of transmisson is as expected. I'm very pleased to have this item.
on January 11, 2016
I bought this because we recently got the exact same port at work. It has four hubs and really works well. I typically end up plugging my cell phone in to charge, and I have used three USB sticks in it at one time. Also great for easily transferring files between them and eliminating duplicate files. I open up three windows explorer screens at a time to compare files on each stick (working on a split screen). I don't have a second screen yet, but think I could use one of those as well.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 12, 2013
There are times when you need additional USB hubs - many new laptops are so compact that they only come with two USB ports (I am looking at you Mac Book Pros). The Sabrent 4 port USB hub is very compact but allows you to expand the number of USB ports without any type of complications.

Notes-

- Provides three side USB ports and one on the end

- Does not require external power which means there are no additional required cables - but it also means that you will not be able to charge devices.

- The total power usage is 900ma - so it will power external hard drives and such, but keep in mind that it has limits due to the lack of external power

- Worked as plug and play with my Mac

- Very good transfer speeds - up to 5Gbs with USB 3.0 devices

- Small enough to be very portable - roughly about 2/3 the size of a deck of cards

Final Verdict - The Sabrent 4 port USB is small enough to travel with, but still allows you to add 4 USB ports to your computer.

4 1/2 Stars

Note - I received this product in exchange for an unbiased review
on February 9, 2014
I got this for my wife as her USB ports are on the back of her iMac, and a pain to get to. She, mostly, hooks her external HD Passport. Some people complain about the cord being too short or too long, but this apx. 16" cord is not a problem for her. With computers come many cords.
on August 4, 2014
Works perfectly, but I found out that if I use as USB cable extender with this, there seems to be some sort of power loss that makes it hard for 4 (usb3 type) mobile hard drives to connect. It kept dropping them. Granted, it may have been due to some limit on how much power could be drawn over the extender from the computer.
on November 19, 2015
I finally went to use this on a new win10 usb3.0 laptop, and it shows as USB device not recognized. It wouldn't work originally on a 2.0 but I figured I would eventually only need it as a small 3.0 solution on a laptop. Well, doesn't work there either. So, make sure it works when you get it, or you are just donating to someones early retirement fund.....
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse