5.0 out of 5 stars Handy device; works well; simple to use
This is a simple, but very handy device to have. It's basically a sound card that you can plug into a USB port to connect speakers or headphones.

I'm using it with my laptop since the speaker/headphone ports are tough to access. This makes using headphones much easier and with less cord tangle.

It's quite compact - about 2 inches long, one inch wide...
Published 15 months ago by Comdet

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of garbage - don't buy
Published 13 months ago by Sean O'Connell

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of garbage - don't buy, August 14, 2013
Sean O'Connell (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabrent USB 2.0 Virtual External 7.1 Surround Sound Adapter (USB-AUDD) (Personal Computers)
This USB sound card sounded great... for all of 25 seconds. Then it started cutting out. Adjusting the speaker plug would have the audio cutting in and out, intermixed with crackle. No matter how I angled the plug, rotated it, whatever - I could not keep a good contact with the jack pins. My guess is they are either bent or broken inside. I would return this piece of junk, but at $7 and free shipping it's not worth the gas to drive to the nearest UPS drop-off. The device did come with a decent quality USB extension cable, so that's a nice consolation prize I guess. But unless you need a $7 USB extension cable, I'd avoid this product like the clap.

One other very annoying design feature is the incredibly bright blue LED that illuminates and flashes when the device is connected, and which appears to serve no actual purpose other than to blind and perturb the owner. Pressing the mute button illuminates an equally blinding white LED. Had the sound actually worked, I would have had to cover the LEDs with electrical tape to kill the eye-splitting glare.

UPDATE: I opened up the case and the problem is obvious - poor solder connections between the audio jack and the main board. Inserting the audio plug must have snapped one or more of the solder points, and then wiggling the cable finished the job. All six solder points on the audio jack are disconnected. Since I've blown the warranty anyway, I think I'll try to re-solder the audio jack to the board. Maybe I can use this in one of my radio projects. While I'm at it, I'm going to upgrade those LEDs with two resistors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted a day, October 5, 2013
The adapter worked right out of the box but only lasted a day. Plugging in my headsets caused the headphone jack to pop off its solder joints making it useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, September 4, 2013
DO NOT BUY

Arrived 1 week late (despite Amazon prime).

Amplifies sounds so much such that all sound settings on the computer have to be set to the minimum to avoid breaking headphones or speakers.

Broke after 1 week of use. VERY flimsy design, the case simply came apart after plugging it into my laptop about 20 times.

Bright blue LED is annoying, flashes, and cannot be turned off in any way.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT SPEND YOUR MONEY, December 27, 2013
Had it for a week and it broke (((DONT SPEND YOUR MONEY)))((((DONT SPEND YOUR MONEY))))And the blue light will give u a headache!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy device; works well; simple to use, June 14, 2013

It's quite compact - about 2 inches long, one inch wide and a half inch thick. Very easy to fit into a laptop bag and carry it along. The ports are on the end, and the top has buttons for volume and mute. Although the buttons are black on black, they have white icons printed on them so it's not hard to see which button you want to push.

Installation was plug and play on a Win 7 system. No fuss, no muss. Sound quality was very good - just as good as the internal sound card.

It's a great solution for laptops or desktops with ports that are difficult to access, or a cheap and easy solution for a defective sound card. Highly recommend.
[manufacturer provided sample for review]

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it should, February 7, 2014
allowed me to add a sound card output to my laptop easily and for a reasonable price. i make music with my laptop, so this was great for the price. added on a virtual soundcard - free download, so i could record one channel while listening to others so i dont really use this much anymore, but it does what it says.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buzzing noise after 20-30 seconds of use, September 9, 2013
I had to return this device because all recordings have a buzzing sound in the background plus distortion of my voice, starting after about 20-30 seconds of recording. I tried it on a different port and a different Mac with no improvement. Same buzz happens even if the mic is turned off, so it's got to be the USB device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loads of USB adapters, and I pick the worst one, January 25, 2014
As a very big voice recording user, I wanted better sound quality for the videos I make.
Since I already had a pair of headphones with a microphone, I went to look up a USB connector for my PC headphones (which don't work on my mac without one).

If I can give any advice - I say don't buy this one.

It kept force-quitting whenever I opened up an application, such as IMovie, Photobooth, Wavepad, and even QuickTime Player. The only program it worked on was GarageBand - but that didn't look too good when I tried to record.
The audio was horrible! It wouldn't let me listen to the sound, and when I just took out the headphone part, I heard the sound, but it was too scratchy and hard on the ears.
I KNOW its not my headphones, because it did work very well once. The audio was very smooth and I could listen to it.
I guess nothing gold really CAN'T stay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Audio jack broke in less than a week, January 19, 2014
The adapter stopped working after a week of use. I popped it open only to discover the audio jack for the head phones came unsoldered from the board. It doesn't even have through-hole soldering for the jacks which would have made it stronger.

Piece of crap, don't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Adapter, November 11, 2013
My computer didn't have a headphone and microphone output so I bought this for my needs. Works and handles everything fine with my microphone (the zalman m1)

Rate and Discover Movies