Exclusive Home Decoration Tips from author Sabrina Soto
Choosing artwork for your home can be tricky and tiresome! But here are some simple suggestions to help relieve the pressure.
- Keep the style of your décor in mind when making your selection. You don't want your artwork to clash with existing items in your room; so, if your room is traditional, stick with traditional artwork. The same applies for modern, rustic or contemporary rooms.
- Buy artwork that is proportional to other pieces in your room. You want to create a sense of visual balance. Be careful not to choose pieces that are too large or too small for your space. A good rule of thumb is that your art work should be 60% to 75% the width of what you are hanging it over. So if your sofa is 80" wide then your art work should be no more than 60" wide.
- If you cannot afford large pieces of art, choose a series of smaller pieces that you can hang together in rows or collages.
- Avoid problems with glare by skipping the fancy frames and glass; unframed art is really popular right now and will add more depth to your space. Look for canvases stretched on frames, or prints on wood or metal backings. This will making shopping a little easier and often reduces the price of the piece.
- Always hang your art at eye level, no matter how tall your walls are. This will ensure the artwork will draw just the right amount of attention.
- Most importantly, buy what makes you happy; buy what you love!
From the Inside Flap
Sabrina Soto's simple, step-by-step process for creating the home of your dreams
You want your home to look the way it does in your imagination—beautiful colors, stylish furniture, attractive lighting, and ample storage for all of your stuff. Whether you can see bits and pieces of it in your mind, or you are just inspired by a color or a texture and aren't sure how to turn it into an effective design, the thing that stands between most people and the home design they dream of is the lack of a simple, effective decorating process. If you have the ideas but are hungry for the "how," Sabrina Soto can help you realize your design visions one step at a time.
In this book, Sabrina shares with you her process of design, beginning with a cold, hard look at the space—an honest evaluation of who lives there, how you want to use the room, and your personal tastes and preferences. Once you've identified your design goals, she shows you how to tackle each "layer," such as color or furnishings. Following along with the chapters, you'll build a cohesive home design layer by layer.
Packed with useful and time-tested tips and shortcuts like those Sabrina features on her TV shows and website, as well as visual guides to different styles of furniture, fixtures, and other design elements, the book also shows you how to save money, time, and effort—without sacrificing style.
There's no time like the present, and no method like layering, to unleash your creativity and create a stunning home.