5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the same old stuff

Published on March 24, 2007 by a reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the same old stuff, November 6, 2003
"docmkt" (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Sex: A Spiritual Celebration of Oneness in Marriage (Paperback)
This is a GREAT book that is NOT something you've read elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I have not seen the fantastic insights in Sacred Sex ANYWHERE else, and I've read plenty of books on the subject. If someone actually took the time to read the book in its entirety, they would find that the focus of Dr. Gardner's argument is that for true Oneness to occur inside the bedroom, it MUST occur outside the bedroom first. Even more, they must understand the depth of the spiritual oneness in the act of making love that God built into the system. It's new. It's right. Read it. Apply it. It will change your marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource to Set Husbands and Wives Straight!, June 18, 2004
There is a lot of confusion in Christian marriages today about sex. Most Christians resources don't give enough attention to this most physical aspect of marriage, and society has twisted it into anything but pure. Gardner brings husbands and wives back to a Biblical standard, asserting that sex in marriage is not only special, it is sacred.
If you feel the term "sacred sex" is a contradiction, then you need to read this book. This title is well worth the price for Christian husbands and wives.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INSIGHTS ON SATISFYING SEX!!!, March 31, 2004
By A Customer
I admit that it took me awhile to wrap my mind around the concept of Sex being Sacred, but Gardner does a great job of explaining "What was on the mind of the Creator" when God designed sex in the first place and gave it to His children as a gift. Very practical material for helping couples achieve a mutually satisfying sex life. Good discussion questions. A worthy ready for any married -- or soon to be married -- couple.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for couples, January 19, 2006
I really wish this book had been around when I first got married. I think this book would be fabulous for couples in premarital counseling, but it is also very good for couples well into their married lives. A refreshing new look at sex from a God-centered, very Biblical view of why God gave us sex in the first place. Looking at sex as an act of holy worship to the Creator has completely changed my view of intimacy. I very highly recommend this book! Thanks Dr. Gardner for answering the call to write about something so desparately misunderstood today!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Dose of Belly Laughter -- with Reverence!, May 4, 2007
Dr. Gardner quotes the great C.S. Lewis as saying, "Nothing is more needed on the whole subject of sex than a good dose of belly laughter." I couldn't agree more. And Gardner provides that without EVER being disrespectful, crude, vulgar, or offensive. It seems to me that the goal of Sacred Sex is to help couples experience the total JOY that God, the Creator or sex, intended for his married children. This book helps couples realize that sex is not primarily about pleasure or procreation, which is the focus of most books on sex. Rather, it is about "oneness;" and true oneness leads to deep and abiding joy.

Gardner also cites the renowned Dr. Howard Hendricks as saying, "We should not be embarrassed to discuss what God was not embarrassed to create." This book will help Believers get over their embarrassment of s-e-x as it brings a healthy amount of humor to a very sacred subject and provides excellent tools for couples to discuss this very sacred act. Readers will greatly benefit from the author's challenge to approach every aspect of their sex lives with the question, "Will this make us more 'one,' or will this drive us apart?"

Sacred Sex is a great balance of Scriptural truth, challenge to change, practical wisdom, reverence for the "Marriage Bed," and God-honoring fun! Couples should buy it, read it together, and Celebrate Oneness in Marriage the way God intended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sacred Sex is a must read for All True Christians..., March 22, 2009
I wept bitterly after reading this book. At the age of 40 and having been in church all of my life I did not know the information that was contained in this book. Mind blowing and totally expectedly life changing. This book moved me in a way that I can't adequately put into words. You will never be the same, your marriage will never be the same, the way you view sex will never be the same. This book will turn your world, heart and mind upside down...and most importantly your relationship with our Savior will never be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something desperately needed, September 18, 2006
A Christian may think they know about sex, what it entails and its spiritual signficance, but this book delivers a message that most are unaware of. Not only does the author biblically evaluate how the act of sex has such powerful spiritual impacts, but also that the "physical" alone carries deep meaning and purpose. A must read not for just any couple, but any Christian who wants to have a healthy attitude towards sex and sexuality as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally; a unique book on sex!, June 18, 2002
Funny, thoughtful, witty, and challenging. This is NOT a simply a "how to," but answers the deeper questions concerning all of the "whys" of sexual intimacy between a husband and a wife. Helps take sex from a battlefield to what God intended it to be. Helpful for couples and counselors. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, January 6, 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book, he even seems to be able to add some humor to such a special topic. He presents a great argument for why he thinks that Sex is sacred, too bad my husband has no desire to read this book. I think it should be required reading for couples in pre marital counseling or in marriage counseling and any couple who care to increase their joy together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distracted by the humor, March 24, 2007
If the idea of sacred sex is totally foreign to you, you need this book. I bought one based on the previous reviews (see below) and was looking to improve my overall relationship with my husband of 27 years for Christ's glory. I give my husband, a bible teacher, credit for teaching me on many levels how our marriage is a priceless picture of Jesus and His bride. Regarding this book, the humor was a distraction and undermined an otherwise holy message. Quoting W.C. Fields, Marilyn Monroe, Billy Crystal and the like seemed contrary to the reverence the title suggests. The author was *not* crude or vulgar. I just recommend you read the excerpts Amazon offers on this book before purchasing. If the humor you see there works for you, I came away appreciating: 1) Mrs. Gardner's brief contributions and 2) the author's comment of how desecrated sex has become. You might try Sacred Marriage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa71855f4)

Sacred Sex: A Spiritual Celebration of Oneness in Marriage
Sacred Sex: A Spiritual Celebration of Oneness in Marriage by Tim Alan Gardner (Paperback - May 21, 2002)
$14.99 $10.24